The G.O.A.T Putter by theputtingengineer

Why would you want to putt with the same putter as Tiger? How many of you are putting on PGA-level greens on a daily basis? Even Tiger adds lead tape when he plays in The Open because of their slower greens, so what would most of us do with a 326g head when we head to our local muni or club ... unless you play somewhere that likes to keep the greens running at 14, in that case, I'm sorry.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

> @tatertot said:

> Why would you want to putt with the same putter as Tiger? How many of you are putting on PGA-level greens on a daily basis? Even Tiger adds lead tape when he plays in The Open because of their slower greens, so what would most of us do with a 326g head when we head to our local muni or club ... unless you play somewhere that likes to keep the greens running at 14, in that case, I'm sorry.

They still make cast Anser heads brand new that they stock at Dicks, GG etc that weigh out to 302-305g of headweight. I own one of them and putt really well everywhere with it. The preference towards heavier and heavier heads is facilitated by the manufacturer, not the needs of the consumer.

• Like 1

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

> @tatertot said:

> Why would you want to putt with the same putter as Tiger? How many of you are putting on PGA-level greens on a daily basis? Even Tiger adds lead tape when he plays in The Open because of their slower greens, so what would most of us do with a 326g head when we head to our local muni or club ... unless you play somewhere that likes to keep the greens running at 14, in that case, I'm sorry.

Come on, bragging rights.....lol.....????

• Like 1

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

> @"Rob McHugh" said:

> > @cforselius said:

> > I have seen it on Instagram but they lost me when they said that they used GSS. Its not even a real thing. Its just a Trademark from Scotty. And then they go on in their comments saying how hard it was to come across the material and so on. Pure ****.

>

> GSS stands for German Stainless Steel.

> If it was just ‘Trademark from Scotty’ - they wouldn’t be able to advertise it. It is universally excepted in the putter world what GSS stands for.

>

> Rob

I sure hope you mean “universally accepted”. But I enjoyed the chuckle your post provided, ?

I know there are some differences between stainless made in Germany vs. what is produced in the US. I talked to a metallugist about it 8+ years ago about it when I owned a putter company and had requests. Ultimately Sunset Beach never did any German stainless putters as no one was willing to pay the cost increases. A small guy actually getting GSS, even casting it in Germany(if there is anywhere in Germany that will cast small batches) or shipping material to China to have it cast and then shipping to US and selling to consumers for 400? Lets just say the logistics do not make sense for actual stainless produced in Germany. Stainless madie and then cast in China and then shipped to the US, sure he’s making a killing on each. China companies will do small batches.

I have a friend that hand mills putters from German stainless when the request comes in.

1. The steel is more expensive when you look at the same size, and not just a little for small batches.

2. Shipping it from Germany is SUPER expensive

Sure Titleist orders in such quantity that they dont have as much of a mark up as a smaller guy, but the fact is the raw material is quite a bit more expensive from a shipping standpoint alone.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

> @tatertot said:

It’s not just that, why would you want a putter spec’d to someone else’s putting stroke? You should want a putter spec’d to your stroke.

I do think the clean look of no flange line and a sight dot (or nude) is actually easy to aim since it draws focus to the top line. At least for me, but everything about putter design choice is kind of a “your mileage may vary” type of thing. I do wish there were more manufacturers offered this aim style off the rack.

• Like 1

> @driveandputtmachine said:

> I know there are some differences between stainless made in Germany vs. what is produced in the US. I talked to a metallugist about it 8+ years ago about it when I owned a putter company and had requests. Ultimately Sunset Beach never did any German stainless putters as no one was willing to pay the cost increases. A small guy actually getting GSS, even casting it in Germany(if there is anywhere in Germany that will cast small batches) or shipping material to China to have it cast and then shipping to US and selling to consumers for 400? Lets just say the logistics do not make sense for actual stainless produced in Germany. Stainless madie and then cast in China and then shipped to the US, sure he’s making a killing on each. China companies will do small batches.

> I have a friend that hand mills putters from German stainless when the request comes in.

> 1. The steel is more expensive when you look at the same size, and not just a little for small batches.

> 2. Shipping it from Germany is SUPER expensive

> Sure Titleist orders in such quantity that they dont have as much of a mark up as a smaller guy, but the fact is the raw material is quite a bit more expensive from a shipping standpoint alone.

Shipping manure from Germany is SUPER expensive, too ... doesn't mean I want to make a putter out of it.

• Like 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

> @Pwood28 said:

> I think what these guys are doing is kind of cool. Yes, they are grabbing someone else's design (who grabbed someone else's design), but they're putting hitting a spot in the market that SC refuses to hit. People have been clamoring for an OTR quality and, most importantly, priced Tiger-ish putter for a long time. SC has continued to ignore that market and pump out inserts and changeable weights.

>

> An SC Newport currently runs $399 brand new, and that is with some serious manufacturing volume and efficiencies. That fact that these guys are able to come in at the same price doing small runs is pretty good. It doesn't have the SC name all over, so if labels are your thing, this obviously won't work for you. As an equipment nerd, I'm digging watching other equipment nerds do their thing!

Well said, I totally agree that Scotty has ignored many players requests for years and is just following the trends of what most players are gaming today (Mallets). When equipment junkies do something that’s nitch, I’m all for it!!

I’ve ordered one, like others have said, this is a gap in the market that has been ignored unless you want to pay £3K

The actual photos of the club look really good, very clean looking. I do agree it looks very plane & could do with some kind of stamping etc, I guess this could always be added at a later date. wkogl46sfm2r.jpeg

0gqj4fnngl9m.jpeg

n6vi7qrj7r2a.jpeg

eittdmqbbv8e.jpeg

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5°
TaylorMade M2 16.5°
TaylorMade M2 19°
Ben Hogan PTx 22º 46º
Ben Hogan Equlizer 50º
Ping Eye 2 + SW
Titleist Vokey SM6 58º
Scotty Cameron Futura X6M

No the edges will be softened, you can also get a vapour blast finish which looks much better.

> @Scotty1140 said:

> Is that considered a finished putter?

>

> Unless it’s just the lighting, the edges of the top line and especially the leading edge of the sole/face look really sharp. Need a bit of softening on the top line and a bit of a bevel in the leading sole edge.

>

>

>

>

Ping G400 Max 10.5°
TaylorMade M2 16.5°
TaylorMade M2 19°
Ben Hogan PTx 22º 46º
Ben Hogan Equlizer 50º
Ping Eye 2 + SW
Titleist Vokey SM6 58º

> @farmer said:

> I've never gotten the whole Scotty thing, so a Scotty copy is just a marketing gimmick to me. I've putted with Scotty's, they are fine putters, but no mystique for me.

The fact is Scotty Cameron make some great putters, the first ones on my opinion were the best, but they’ve stopped making them unless you want to pay big money or you’re a tour player, so these are the next best thing & they’re going to be as good as they would be if Scotty Cameron made them.

Ping G400 Max 10.5°
TaylorMade M2 16.5°
TaylorMade M2 19°
Ben Hogan PTx 22º 46º
Ben Hogan Equlizer 50º
Ping Eye 2 + SW
Titleist Vokey SM6 58º

> @CD17 said:

> > @farmer said:

> > I've never gotten the whole Scotty thing, so a Scotty copy is just a marketing gimmick to me. I've putted with Scotty's, they are fine putters, but no mystique for me.

>

> The fact is Scotty Cameron make some great putters, the first ones on my opinion were the best, but they’ve stopped making them unless you want to pay big money or you’re a tour player, so these are the next best thing & they’re going to be as good as they would be if Scotty Cameron made them.

>

>

Didn't Bettinardi produce the early Scotty production runs until around 2000 or so?

• Like 2
Ping G410 9*
Tour Edge EXS 3w, 5w
Ping i210 4-U
Ping Glide Stealth 54, 60
Ping Anser 85029 Dalehead
Srixon Z-Star or Q-Star tour depending on conditions

Nice forum. Look at what the stainless studio's are going for on ebay lately. have been missing this websight... Just bought another Stainless jalopy in hopes of it becoming the ONE.

shambles...

910 D2 9.5*/910 FD 15*/915 18*
712 4I
MP 57 5I-6I
MP 59 7I-8I
MP 15 9I
Vokey 46F/52F/56M/60M
AOP NP 2 (BOS 2x oil can)
Chrome soft

Just got my new 'Tigerized' Byron 612, just got to throw some x-27 red on it and shaft her up! Profile of the GOAT looks almost perfect, but

*puttingengineer* missed the mark for the topline, looks chunky and too thick facewise.

2ve9g350xgm6.jpg

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

Mine is being made to my spec 2.5° loft & 34” shaft, I actually do putt on greens as good as Tour greens, our green keeper is one of the top 30 in the world, he gets asked to assist the set up of The Open & Ryder Cup courses. > @SlothofDespond said:

> > @tatertot said:

> > Why would you want to putt with the same putter as Tiger? How many of you are putting on PGA-level greens on a daily basis? Even Tiger adds lead tape when he plays in The Open because of their slower greens, so what would most of us do with a 326g head when we head to our local muni or club ... unless you play somewhere that likes to keep the greens running at 14, in that case, I'm sorry.

>

> It’s not just that, why would you want a putter spec’d to someone else’s putting stroke? You should want a putter spec’d to your stroke.

>

> I do think the clean look of no flange line and a sight dot (or nude) is actually easy to aim since it draws focus to the top line. At least for me, but everything about putter design choice is kind of a “your mileage may vary” type of thing. I do wish there were more manufacturers offered this aim style off the rack.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5°
TaylorMade M2 16.5°
TaylorMade M2 19°
Ben Hogan PTx 22º 46º
Ben Hogan Equlizer 50º
Ping Eye 2 + SW
Titleist Vokey SM6 58º

> @ratdg1 said:

> > @CD17 said:

> > > @farmer said:

> > > I've never gotten the whole Scotty thing, so a Scotty copy is just a marketing gimmick to me. I've putted with Scotty's, they are fine putters, but no mystique for me.

> >

> > The fact is Scotty Cameron make some great putters, the first ones on my opinion were the best, but they’ve stopped making them unless you want to pay big money or you’re a tour player, so these are the next best thing & they’re going to be as good as they would be if Scotty Cameron made them.

> >

> >

>

> Didn't Bettinardi produce the early Scotty production runs until around 2000 or so?

Yes.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

> @"A.Princey" said:

> Just got my new 'Tigerized' Byron 612, just got to throw some x-27 red on it and shaft her up! Profile of the GOAT looks almost perfect, but

> *puttingengineer* missed the mark for the topline, looks chunky and too thick facewise.

> 2ve9g350xgm6.jpg

Yes I agree the top line does look a bit to chunky, maybe once the edges are smoother it will give it a thinner look.

Ping G400 Max 10.5°
TaylorMade M2 16.5°
TaylorMade M2 19°
Ben Hogan PTx 22º 46º
Ben Hogan Equlizer 50º
Ping Eye 2 + SW
Titleist Vokey SM6 58º

So the pictures posted were not the final production model. he posted a blurred sneak peak of the production spec version which I hope is more cleaned up.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Well don’t forget Tigers putter is getting on for 20 years old, so is going to look a bit different to when it was new.

> @"Mr. Hogan" said:

> The GOAT putters look raw and unrefined. Definitely not Tiger-like.

Ping G400 Max 10.5°
TaylorMade M2 16.5°
TaylorMade M2 19°
Ben Hogan PTx 22º 46º
Ben Hogan Equlizer 50º
Ping Eye 2 + SW
Titleist Vokey SM6 58º

The Tiger putter is a Newport 2 “tour” which has value but the true values are the little nuances and custom fittings we cannot see, plus how the owner uses it, that make it what it is. Without those particular stamps and dots nobody will tell it apart from any other except Tiger Woods.

I don’t get wanting a replica down to the stamping that’s like walking around on track day dressed head to toe like Valentino Rossi. News flash he will still outrun everyone while riding a stock bike wearing a Smokey the Bear costume. He won’t look like the fool.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

> @dan360 said:

> I don’t get wanting a replica down to the stamping that’s like walking around on track day dressed head to toe like Valentino Rossi. News flash he will still

> outrun everyone while riding a stock bike wearing a Smokey the Bear costume. He won’t look like the fool.

Actually, the equivalent to dressing head to toe like Valentino Rossi would be to wear your Nike Sunday red mock turtleneck and slap a Frank headcover on your driver as you hit your 9 hole muni. Wanting to try Tiger's putter is more akin to wanting to ride Rossi's bike...not sure I see the problem with that. I think people just want to experience some of what the greatest golfer of all time has experienced.