2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

A permanent home for the US Open?

Lagavulin62

The problem I have with the rotation argument, so different parts of the country can get it, does not hold in June. Most of the south, especially Texas, will never get a US Open again. And that was also the case with the PGA until this year.

If you look at the majors as a group, we have made some very good tweaks. Moving the PGA to May appears at this point to be a great move. As a rotation major, it now is likely to be held at new venues in the south. Not only that, the timing in May gives it more clout. It’s no longer the last and letdown major. It could never compare to the other three, so moving it from last in the year gives it more interest. Then too this elevates The Open to its rightful place as the last and granddaddy of them all.

So why not make some changes to give the US Open more interest? I think a permanent home might be the answer.

PGA should also be played outside US , bringing in countries where golf is very popular and they have great courses, but no majors are played there. One obvious place is Australia. Also European mainland. The event could be co-hosted with the host country's PGA.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

> @JD3 said:

> PGA should also be played outside US , bringing in countries where golf is very popular and they have great courses, but no majors are played there. One obvious place is Australia. Also European mainland. The event could be co-hosted with the host country's PGA.

The PGA is held by the USPGA. I don't see it moving outside the US.

The major you're thinking of that needs to move around the world to all the areas where the R&A has jurisdiction would be the British Open. When they start playing that in Australia, Japan, South Africa, Canada, China and Spain, then I'll call it the Open Championship.

• Like 2

A permanent home to US Open? No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No!

• Like 1

> @gvogel said:

> > @pmadden86 said:

> > PB is overrated. Illustrious history, but overrated as a golf course.

>

> OK. How about of list of 5 courses that you prefer?

Cypress Point

Anything at Bandon

Anything at Streamsong

Pasatiempo

Pine Valley

Shinnecock

National Golf Links

Kiawah Ocean Course

Pinehurst No. 2

Ballyneal

Arcadia Bluffs

Calusa Pines

Sleepy Hollow

Friar’s Head

Seminole

Sorry, you said 5, let me know if you want me to go International or courses I haven’t had a chance to play yet...

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

> @OldBridge said:

> I like that the course rotate. I'm not sure what the USGA will do to Brookline to make that work in a few years. I fear that modern technology will tear that place apart (and it hasn't hosted PGA players since the 1999 Ryder Cup).

The Country Club hosted the 2013 Amateur, which had a few names you’d recognize in the field (DeChambeau, Schauffle, Fitzpatrick, etc) and the low score in stroke play was -3. Since then, they’ve tweaked a couple of holes to add even more distance with a little more work to go.

From a design/defense standpoint, TCC is a lot like Pebble - very small greens with lush rough around them.

The next few years should be a set of great Opens - Winged Foot, TCC, LACC, and even Torrey Pines - which I think is a decent Open venue if not a great everyday course. Hopefully the days of USGA storylines are behind us.

> @TServos said:

> Don’t they play a tournament at Pebble every year? I think they do.

>

> I wouldn’t mind a rotation of the great American courses.

We’re getting to the point of a de facto rota.

It feels like the USGA has settled on Pebble, Pinehurst, Oakmont, Shinnecock, and possibly Torrey Pines every 10 years. Which leaves five slots for other courses.

There just aren’t that many courses capable of hosting. The big loser here IMHO are the courses that used to be able to host PGA Championships which are now going to great USGA venues (Bethpage, Olympic, Baltusrol, etc.).

Agree - everyone is having orgasms over “primetime golf”, but I loved The Masters this year and The Open every year basically being over by lunch time. It’s like gaining an extra day on the weekend.

“The big loser here IMHO are the courses that used to be able to host PGA Championships which are now going to great USGA venues (Bethpage, Olympic, Baltusrol, etc.).”

Huh? All of those courses are USGA venues until this trar’s> @naj959 said:

> I know I'm in the minority here but I have zero interest in seeing Pebble every year. Pebble is cool and all but I feel like it gets overhyped. Love the rotation and even the idea of trying new sites despite the fact that a dud gets thrown in from time to time.

> @Lagavulin62 said:

> The problem I have with the rotation argument, so different parts of the country can get it, does not hold in June. Most of the south, especially Texas, will never get a US Open again. And that was also the case with the PGA until this year.

>

> If you look at the majors as a group, we have made some very good tweaks. Moving the PGA to May appears at this point to be a great move. As a rotation major, it now is likely to be held at new venues in the south. Not only that, the timing in May gives it more clout. It’s no longer the last and letdown major. It could never compare to the other three, so moving it from last in the year gives it more interest. Then too this elevates The Open to its rightful place as the last and granddaddy of them all.

>

> So why not make some changes to give the US Open more interest? I think a permanent home might be the answer.

>

>

If it's going to be a permanent location, I vote for Oakmont or Winged Foot. Those are the two hardest courses in the rotation of traditional U.S. Open venues.

I like how US Open generally selects courses ostensibly accessible to the public. As it’s a national championship it should rotate around the US (including places like Hawaii).

The Open bills itself as the world Championship so they should move around Europe more at least.

PGA needs something, anything to separate it from it’s Diet Major perception. Going worldwide would definitely help.

And of course The Masters is The Masters. Don’t F with it.

The AT&T shouldn’t use Pebble anymore.

It’s such a crappy tournament that it cheapens the course. Especially in Pebble major years. Do they really need 3 courses to play this? Just use the other 2 and lose the pro-am portion. No one cares anymore. It’s not like Bing Crosby and his movie star friends play in this thing anymore and no one really cares about a bunch of famous people playing bogey golf with the best in the world anyway.

> @BrianMcG said:

> I like the canceling the Pro-am idea.

Yes and we can bring back Firestone in the process.

• Like 1

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

Pebble was pretty benign for this Open because there wasn't any wind to speak of and the greens didn't have much fire in them. It's a great place to hold an Open but it really struggled to live up to the difficulty level that an Open usually presents. The players have gotten too long for a 7,000 yard course. Iron off the tee, short iron from the fairway just negates the rough and small greens. Still, it's so picturesque and if the wind had come up it would have made up for the lack of length. You need to have Opens at Oakmont, Winged Foot, and Shinnecock, for sure, added to Pebble. Maybe have a 7 year rotation with throwing in other venues to bring golf to other parts of the country.

> @widow-maker said:

> Pebble was pretty benign for this Open because there wasn't any wind to speak of and the greens didn't have much fire in them. It's a great place to hold an Open but it really struggled to live up to the difficulty level that an Open usually presents. The players have gotten too long for a 7,000 yard course. Iron off the tee, short iron from the fairway just negates the rough and small greens. Still, it's so picturesque and if the wind had come up it would have made up for the lack of length. You need to have Opens at Oakmont, Winged Foot, and Shinnecock, for sure, added to Pebble. Maybe have a 7 year rotation with throwing in other venues to bring golf to other parts of the country.

Average score for the week was 72.3 with benign conditions and soft greens. Nothing wrong with that at all. I think Pebble held up just fine.

• Like 1

I don't know about Pebble, but hosting the Open on the West Coast seems to cut down on the obnoxiousness of the fans significantly. maybe move the US Open back to the East Coast when people learn how to behave like humans.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

> @widow-maker said:

> Pebble was pretty benign for this Open because there wasn't any wind to speak of and the greens didn't have much fire in them. It's a great place to hold an Open but it really struggled to live up to the difficulty level that an Open usually presents. The players have gotten too long for a 7,000 yard course. Iron off the tee, short iron from the fairway just negates the rough and small greens. Still, it's so picturesque and if the wind had come up it would have made up for the lack of length. You need to have Opens at Oakmont, Winged Foot, and Shinnecock, for sure, added to Pebble. Maybe have a 7 year rotation with throwing in other venues to bring golf to other parts of the country.

Merion at 6800 and change played tough.

> @JaNelson38 said:

> > @widow-maker said:

> > Pebble was pretty benign for this Open because there wasn't any wind to speak of and the greens didn't have much fire in them. It's a great place to hold an Open but it really struggled to live up to the difficulty level that an Open usually presents. The players have gotten too long for a 7,000 yard course. Iron off the tee, short iron from the fairway just negates the rough and small greens. Still, it's so picturesque and if the wind had come up it would have made up for the lack of length. You need to have Opens at Oakmont, Winged Foot, and Shinnecock, for sure, added to Pebble. Maybe have a 7 year rotation with throwing in other venues to bring golf to other parts of the country.

>

> Average score for the week was 72.3 with benign conditions and soft greens. Nothing wrong with that at all. I think Pebble held up just fine.

Pretty close to the pro am scoring average (that has a lot weaker field).

When the USGA doesn’t destroy a golf course in their quest to protect par, many of them look good. Particularly when it is overcast, with low clouds, cool temps, no wind, and winner in double digits. Ho hum.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Permanent home for the US Open should be a rota of absolutely outstanding golf courses in the USA that can test the best players in the world on the merit of the course itself instead of the USGA having to skew the course.

Oh wait, we already have a rota of outstanding courses. I'd actually like to see more courses added to the rotation. I would also love to see the USGA not skew the courses to be unfair. The USGA got this week right by not ruining the condition of Pebble Beach Golf Links just to save par.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

> @Dave230 said:

> Maybe for the PGA but probably need somewhere a bit harder for the US Open. Would be a shame if the US Open didn't go back to courses like Oakmont. Think it would be good to reduce it to 5-6 courses on a rota though and make sure courses like Erin Hills and Chambers Bay aren't on it.

Have you played Chambers with the new greens? Chambers just needs to figure out the fan experience. They need to really start searching for some other public courses that could hold a US Open, IMO. There are parts of the country that would love to host an Open but will never get the chance.

Also from what I remember, players hated Chambers greens but not the course itself.

The problem is the Rota is too small. The reason the Rota is limited is $$$$$! It's all about how many corporate tents they can fill. This is why Merion is a great course but not a great open event. The USGA needs to the US open to be a great corporate event first, on a great golf course second. Also can't have it out west two years in a row, hence they lose the east coast viewers(My own west coast bias here)