New Cobra SZ Driver Ordered without testing?

3woodvt

Just looks to good not to go ahead and buy and as long as it performs similar to the F9 what could go wrong.  The infinity face and new head design was enough for me. (the rear exhaust ports was a nice touch as well for winning the beauty contest)  Requested quote from Discount Dans Golf and will be ordering once I get back my price....Best looking driver I've ever seen.  I'm going black/yellow again...gloss just looks fast....

Anyone else buying before seeing?  Going with Rogue 60 X and will see if it can outperform the Atmos 7X black...either way I'm in!  I'll add the F9 to my backup bag with my former 945's and RTX wedges....entire new set minus the 3W, 2H, and Ping Zing for 2020.  Happy New Year!

Good... That’s how I roll as well, lol. I’m thinking of going 9* SZ extreme and setting it at 8*. Maybe a slightly lower launch and spin set up, but hopefully retaining some of the moi of the larger club head.... I’d like to wait until some reviews of the Mavrik and Mavrik SZ come in. That’s the other driver I’m really interested in this year....

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

awesome...Callaway makes great stuff but I've never gotten along with their drivers...think its mostly mental for me.  I go weight back at 8*...tried several attempts at weight forward but I need a litlle spin as I've aged and SS has dropped from 110 to 100.  Fairways and tees forward for me these days after hitting the senior amatuer tour...  Club looks great and love the infinity face...that was my biggest gripe was the cutt edges of the F9.... some paint chips and cut tees with that god awful groove they had on the 8 and 9 series.

PS..love those irons you play in your sig...they're sick looking...I'm a Srixon iron guy but dang those bad boys are bada**

lol...some of us have to keep the golf industry alive...I know their are not really any more gains to be had once you've accepted the fact that it's all maxed out but appearance is still an aphrodisiac for consumers like me...just want a new toy... The F9 was everything I could ask for..like the G30LS, G LS, F9, etc.....  Just love the look and performance I get for my aged game...The rear exhaust ports are fun to look at and the shape is improved and that dang infinity face is addictive with all that milling....

The f8+ had the chipping problem as well. I can’t tell in the pictures if the face is bigger on the SZ and Xtreme when compared to F9. My biggest complaint with the f9 is the surface area on the face is just so small. I’ve liked how deep and big the face appears on the last couple Cally drivers, I just have not liked the sound at all.... As far as the Forged Tec Black irons go, they look so good and are very underrated. I actually just sold my back up set of them. They had $-taper black shafts, but I just got along better with the modus 105x I have in my other set.

So is the chipping also on the F9? I bought a brand new one last year and within maybe a dozen rounds the top of the club head near the face had a pinhead size round chip. I DID NOT hit a sky all or even a top of face shot and all the sudden there it was.

I am anal about these things. Just bothers me to know end. Probably should have called Cobra.

yeah, chipping was a problem with that cut out of the face.  Mine did it on the F9 didn't play the F8 but they look identical.  I did it to mine in multiple places high toe area..  Infinity face solves that defect in design.  I agree w hookasaurous rex in that the F9 looked smaller face compared to the G series I was in before.

Pre-ordered the Xtreme 9º Matte Black/White Tour Length with Hzrdus Smoke Black. I have enough shafts whereby I didn't need to pay extra for an upgraded shaft

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

I ordered the white matte SZ 9 degree tour length with the Ventus Black 6S shaft sight unseen.

• Like 1

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I really like the 105x. Pretty much all of the Modus shafts are really smooth. I thought the $-tapers felt very nice as well, but I was just all over the place with them. I’d have a few great shots in a row and feel like I was getting in the groove with them, and then throw out something crazy. I feel like I just throw darts with the 105x.

Demo at PGA superstore in Myrtle Beach this week.

A little about me for the slower swinging players that this may apply too. I'm 51 and shoot consistently in the low 70's when playing. Only 12 rounds in last year but use to be a pretty good amatuer tournament player. SS has dropped over the years and the belly gets in the way a bit more now but still gamble with the young studs when they will spot me 3.5 strokes or move me up a set of tees. Good ball striker and above avg putter of the ball. HCP fluctuates from 0-3 but depends if I take 3 months or longer off.

Demoed the SZ weight forward in the 9 head stock length driver with Alidla Rogue 70X 60S and Hazerdous 60S mostly all at 9* head...tried the 10.5 head and spin went up 500 or more and quickly moved on as it was topping out at 16.9 launch.  

First up Aldila Rogue 70X 9* head. 142-144 ball speeds 12* launch 242 carry with dispersion L,R, and some down the middle.

Second Aldila rogue 60S 9* head. 145-147 ball speeds 12-13.9 launch 246 carry avg of 6 balls (longest 252, shortest 243). Dispersion almost perfect strait flight with one draw that went 15 left.. (fit me like a glove)

Third Hazerdous 60S 9* head 141 ball speeds 5 shots carry 240-241. Disperson all over the place as I just couldn't feel the head of the club in relation to my swing...never could 'time' it up...not the shaft at all for me.

4th F9 Atomos 7X 8* head draw setting. 145 ball speeds 244 avg carry. Dispersion mostly middle but some left and 2 right.

5th F9 Atomos 7X 9* head std setting 142-43 ball speeds 241 carry avg. Dispersion better with mostly strait and 2 lefts. spin moved up to 2600 avg.

Spin

Rouge 70X 2300avg

Rouge 60S 2150 avg

hazardous 2800 avg

My gamer F9 Atmos 2500 avg.at 9* setting

I don't think there is a lot of difference in these heads but the Aldila Rogue 60S was definitely paired w SZ 9* weight forward was immediate compatibility. Launch perfect, dispersion was awesome (15 shots all together with this combo...31 total drives before I started tiring. Finished with 2 drives at 248 and 251 and well as they say that was it...no need to look any further. For some reason I just spun the F9 with Atmos 300-400 more and launched a little lower than the Rogue SZ combo. Minor gains but the dipersion and confidence was pretty dramatic for me and my game as a low to mid 70's player on 6200-6500 yd courses that are fairly tight tree lined.

Looks the SZ for me was even better with the infinity face slight shape difference as well but very minute. I did not feel the difference in sound as I've heard others but hey I got hair growing out of my ears now. The feel was awesome if you like the muted sound as I couldn't feel or hear the difference between the two. I hope this helps the 98-102 mph SS WXR's out there.

Posted: Jan 07 2020 6:37PM

• Like 1

I am fighting the urge to order a 9* white with the ventus blue 6x... might make it another week lol. Such will power!

Driver:  TSi3 10* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: TSi2 14.25* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Hybrid | Utility: TSi2 19* w/ AD IZ 95x | P790 UDI w/ KBS PGI 100

Irons: P7 Combo (790 4i, 770 5-7i, MC 8-p)

Wedges: SM7 52 F, 58 M w/ Modus 125S

Putter:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Not a chance. Everyone who has tested it shows basically the same numbers as the F9 which had too much spin for me this season. I play a very low launch, low spin shaft and even had the head hot melted to try to bring the spin down further and just couldn't get there. I'm moving back to Callaway this season. I played Rogues in 2018 and 2019 was a big step backwards going the F9 route. The only winner of the bunch was the F9 Tour 5 wood. That thing is so damn versatile, it's what Callaway wishes their Super Hybrid was.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

I was surprised seeing these in person that I wasn't wowed by the look like I thought I would be from the photos. Where the face meets the crown looked weird to me. That said, it could totally have been due to the lighting in the store which I do know makes some really good looking irons sometimes look not as good. The actual face looks super cool. I hit it and it felt great, but would probably go with the matte black version if I were to buy sight unseen. All of the fairways looked great, though.

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

Everyone seems to go with the standard SZ model first and don't go beyond that model. I am not a pro, but play to a solid 10 at 59 years old. Trust me; the Xtreme is not a Super Game Improvement driver. It, like the Ping Max, will get a lot of play with the pros. It is much better than the standard SZ model in my opinion. I tried several shafts and ended up with the SZ Xtreme (black/white) at 45", set at 10* with Oban Kiyoshi HB 55 shaft.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

Interesting feedback on the new SZ series so far. Love new drivers as well so I picked up a new F8 for less than a quarter of the price of the SZ. Difference in numbers between the two were minimal.

Rogue ST MAX 10.5 Kbs TD 50

Ping 425 fwy 17* Alta 

Ping 425 hyb 22* Alta

Srixon ZX5/7 KBS Tour 110

Vega vw-06 52 58

SC X6

when's TXG going to test this ? I was not impressed with the Mavrik. So far the SIM is in contention with the SZ.. Mizuno St200 could be interesting but man, they do not even have it up on Mizuno USA website. Duh

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B