2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Move over Brooks - young gun enters the tour

EBG

?

Brooks and Tiger don't have long drive swings. And just about any golfer would kill for their careers.

"I'll stick with the philosophy of 20 years ago where if you hit a drive 300 yards you were the longest guy out there." - - sorry but what does that even mean? Your philosophy is to deny reality?

Yeah... sadly me too...

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Of course, every athlete trains for their specific sport. But in sports athletic talent matters, and the best athletes are definitely not playing golf. Part of the reason why Tiger was dominating (mental game matters across all sports) was because of his physicality and talent. He brought golfers to another level. He also brought more gifted athletes to golf. But on the whole, golfers are not the same level as other sports.

So you're saying you think Brooks Koepka would have made the NFL if he trained specifically for it? Would he have even made the MLB (his favorite sport)? He can train to look like one, but his performance level won't even be close.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Metric land, we do distances in meters like normal people but clubhead speed/ballspeed in mph like golfers.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

Watch the stress they put on their knees at impact compared to the way the swing was being taught 30 years ago. I'm not a fan of it and it will cause players to have shorter careers than in the past. I remember back in 2001 my coach predicted all the physical problems Tiger ended up having due to the way he swung the golf club.

P.S. The pro game sucks now its like professional wrestling when you compare it to 30 years ago.

Piffle.

your argument is based on an incredibly narrow definition of the word ‘athlete’. How do you ‘know’ they aren’t playing golf anyway? There are thousands of ex athletes who reached the very top of their chosen sport who then took up golf, and despite limitless money and time to practise, not to mention their innate competitive drive, i can barely think of one who even got near scratch.

• Like 1

Well until he wins 4 majors doesn't matter how long he hits it. And please no one chime in and say wow that's "scary". Pahleese. Linebacker comparisons omg lmao. In the history of the PGA Tour no one has had the physique of an NFL safety or linebacker. Geesh where do people come up with this stuff?

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

You could argue that the vast majority of the most talented athletes in the MLB, NBA, and NFL did not play golf as young children.

There is a vast difference between learning a sport in youth vs. after 30 or 40 years old. Even 20 years old.

So, the current pro tours are not compromised of the most elite athletic talent pools.

Most top athletes excel in 2 or 3 sports in youth. Football and baseball. Basketball and Track. Etc. But they don’t play golf for a few reasons.

Not to say that the majority of MLB players would be tour pros if they picked up the game young. But if golf was as prevalent to elite athletes who played the “big 3” American sports....

Augusta would be talking about making the 13th like 600 yards ; )

Twaddle

youre saying this from an American perspective, in the U.K. a large proportion of ‘athletes’ have at least some experience of golf, and they didn’t wait til they were retired either.

besides, look at the long drive guys, who are the type of athletes being referred to, who swing at 140 plus. Snap hooks and 100 yard blocks galore. Distance is a bigger part of the game now, but only up to a point. The idea that there’s a genetic pool of big, strong athletes ready to dominate golf is absurd. Leadbettwr always said height was a disadvantage for a start.

"Nuts"-

General Anthony Clement McAuliffe, United States Army officer, acting commander of the U.S. 101st Airborne Division troops defending Bastogne, Belgium, during the Battle of the Bulge in World War II.

You would be correct if I was only referring to distance. But it goes far beyond just power and speed and, since you are not American, you are not familiar with the level of body/hand coordination at high speeds in real time required in our "big 3 sports".

Take an MLB pitcher. He can throw a ball 90mph (145 km/h ; ) from 90 feet and hit the "corner" of the plate, a target the size of an apple.

source.gif

Or, he can manipulate the ball the curve like 2 feet (.61 meters).

giphy.gif

This requires not only great speed of snapping the kinetic chain but enormous precision and coordination. And this is just the pitchers! The hitters have to react in real time to this. Either of these skill sets at this talent level, if applied to golf in youth, would deliver excellent results long term.

You have to realize that a very small percentage of a huge talent pool of young athletes in the US plays golf. Again, I'm not saying that the all, or even most of them, would be golf tour pros, but it would change the game quite a bit.

What I’m saying is that this comparison/argument is tiring and childish. It deals in hypotheticals. And it reminds me of 8th graders arguing who’s sports are the best.

The fact remains that Brooks didn’t try for the MLB or NFL or NHL or WNBA. So we do not know if he would be able to have the skills to succeed. Just like we don’t have any idea if Deshaun Watson would be dominating the PGA Tour because he never tried it.

Whenever this argument of talent vs hard work (practice) comes up I have to insist people read this book

The Gold Mine Effect: Rasmus Ankersen: 9781443420570: Books - Amazon.ca

Amazing insight into what makes greatness (lots of different disciplines explored) one common theme ...

Why are 137 of the world’s 500 best female golfers from South Korea? How did one athletic club in Jamaica produce most of the world’s best sprinters? What’s the reason that the world’s best marathon runners grew up in the same village in Ethiopia? What is the secret behind Brazil’s mass production of soccer superstars? How has one tennis club in Moscow managed to develop more top tennis players in ten years than the whole of the United States?

For six months, Rasmus Ankersen travelled around the world visiting these talent gold mines. He talked, trained and lived with the athletes in order to discover what, if anything, they have in common and to attempt to crack the code of developing world-class talent. The result is The Gold Mine Effect, a book that questions all the misconceptions, conventional wisdom and popular theories about talent, hard work, parenting and motivation and looks at how we can apply this knowledge to our own lives.

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

None of the tour guys are big in person...they look waaaay bigger on tv. The only exceptions are Ernie, VJ, Phil maybe a few others. BK is just a solid frame at 6ft and not really that intimidating. TV makes it look more so because he wears shirts that are tailored to him and have tighter sleeves. Tiger did the same thing some years ago and he wasn't built...good shape yes but not built or imposing.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

100% agree on tv making them look bigger. VJ is not near as big in person as he seems on tv. He's big in comparison to the other pros but he's not a particularly big guy. The form fitting shirts they are wear also "bulks" them up. Essentially they do what a prison guard friend told me is SOP for them, wear shirts that are really a size or two too small to looking more buff and intimidating.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

BK is one of the few smashers that has a great resume on tour. I said it last year when Champ came out and one a smaller event....everyone was all gung ho on him because he hits it sooo far and has won already blah blah blah...i said he most likely won't pan out as most of the super long guys don't. DJ, Brooks, Bubba, JB, Woodland...they are exceptions...there have been far more that haven't done anything on tour.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

I cringe when the utilize this on TV, good friend Of mine was a free safety in the NFL, at his wedding with many players I was the smallest dude at 6’3 250.

PGA on grid iron Sunday???, I’m sorry but water boys at best . Great athletes in their own right , but a rory belongs no where on an “American football field “

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Complete tangent, but I LOVE filthy slider gifs. I can't see the name on the jersey, but based on his motion and the amount of filth on that slider, it has to be Chaz Roe.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

For your baseball, I’ll raise you cricket, because it’s all of that with deliveries ranging from 50mph to 100mph, curving in the air AND off the ground, and the ball is harder and heavier. The talent pool is enormous as it’s the third most played game in the world. And almost every test cricketer(the best of the best) plays golf, since there is little else to do on tour when not actually playing.

Of those thousands I know of two who are reportedly at or near scratch (Ponting and deVilliers).

Point being, the best athletes are playing golf and they aren’t very good.