Tiger: Running "pretty much destroyed my body and my knees"

scotee

I think hidden in all of this....this is the true issue. This was pretty much confirmed by people and isn't just a rumor right? Tiger was obsessed with the SEALs and used to run long distances in combat boots. I would imagine this more than anything contributed to his injuries. I can't remember who said this in an interview but the combat boots thing came from a reputable source.

Running gets a bad rap, but every sport can injure your body if you're not doing properly or are just unlucky.

My parents were both competitive marathon runners, neither of them have knee problems or other kinds of physical issues related to running. I've run over 3000km in probably 4 or 5 out of the last 7 years. Since the second week of March i've run 700km. The only injuries i've ever had happened when i started lifting heavier weights. I'm older than Tiger was when he started having health problems

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Some should, some shouldn't.

I enjoyed running a lot if it was part of a game - basketball or tennis. Whenever I tried to get into it for exercise, I'd get to the point where 2 miles wasn't a stretch, didn't want to stretch it any more and got bored, just never got into it for the long haul. Age and putting on some weight got me off the BB court shortly before age 40 - was getting too hard on my back, actually and watched a much younger friend shatter his ankle in a pickup game, overdoing tennis when I was out of shape contributed to a bad knee.

I think if I'd stayed trim and kept my feet in decent shoes I could have run more and for all the running I did recreationally playing BB several times a week, etc. I'm not suffering for it now in any way.

I will say now that I had knee surgery a few years ago and based on the occasional reminder from it, it is much happier with me walking on turf than on concrete. Probably just need to suck it up.

For 22 years my triathlon training included running. I limited running to a maximum of only 8 to 10 miles a week. Running hurts. Cycling does not. The only time I upped running miles was 4 weeks before an Ironman race that included the 26.2 mile marathon. I made sure I could physically and mentally run the marathon so I slowly upped the weekly miles to 25. I ran with a lot of marathoners that trained for Boston and nearly all of them at one time or another had running injuries and layed off running for 2-6 months at a time.

I won many races and placed many more podiums with limited running. Even when doing 1/2 Ironman and Olympic distance races I could place well on limited running so I didn't hurt my body. All that said arthritis caught up to both my hips, which are now both titanium. No more running but I do cycle 50-80 miles a week. I also walk 18 holes 3x per week.

• Like 1

Like anything, it's the consistency and frequency of using your joints in ways that slowly cause damage. There are measures you can take to help prolong or in some cases nearly eliminate the damage. And there are also many alternatives that can be used that have less impact. Running on the road isn't great.

But don't forget, Tiger had a knee problem long before he turned pro, which is likely why he's had so many surgeries, and I would think that factors into it.

He also hit many many golf balls with a very fast and torsional swing, and I would think that caused most of the back issues.

And lastly, Tiger was notorious for playing through injuries. In fact, it's downright legendary to have won the us open with a fractured leg, which apparently occurred trying to rehab too hard. How do you rehab THAT hard under ANY kind of watchful eye? That leaves some open questions best left alone.

I think if Tiger would have focused on general fitness, including core strength and body weight training, cardio on treadmills or other alternatives, and executed rest and rehab more reasonably, he wouldn't have given up anything in his career. If anything, he probably would have gotten back many productive years that were lost.

Every man has to find his own way. I hope he's pain free enough to just enjoy his life moving forward outside of golf, which I would imagine is the top priority these days. Any golf wins should be considered a bonus.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

Back in the 70's when I went through basic combat training (BCT) we trained in nothing but our combat boots. Physical fitness training including running was very demanding on the body with combat boots for individuals that where not in some form of athletic condition. I was a wrestler in high school and only weighed 98 lbs. when I reported to BCT. Finally in the 80's the Army discovered that there where less injuries by allowing sneakers for physical training. After I retired in 1995 I stopped running and started cycling for my main cardio, now in my 60's some of my peers that kept running have had to have knee and hip replacements in the early 60's. I'm thankful for the decision that I made when I retired.

• Like 1

Titleist TSI2 9 Degree MCA Tensei AV Blue Stiff

Callaway Razer Fit Extreme 16.5 Degree Project X Hzdrus Smoke 6.0

Callaway Heavenwood 20 Degree Project X Evenflow 6.0

Titleist 913H 24 Degree MCA Diamana Blue Stiff

Tourstage 705M 5-PW Aldila RIP 85 Regular

Mizuo MP T10 53 & 57 Aldila RIP 85 Regular

Tour Edge Exotics Wingman 705

Titleist TSI2 9 Degree MCA Tensei AV Blue Stiff

Callaway Razer Fit Extreme 16.5 Degree Project X Hzdrus Smoke 6.0

Callaway Heavenwood 20 Degree Project X Evenflow 6.0

Titleist 913H 24 Degree MCA Diamana Blue Stiff

Tourstage 705M 5-PW Aldila RIP 85 Regular

Mizuo MP T10 53 & 57 Aldila RIP 85 Regular

Tour Edge Exotics Wingman 705

I tend to agree with the idea that body type/genetics play a large role in whether or not your body can stand up to prolonged running, however, personal injury history and particularly the choices we make when recovering from injuries can have a huge impact on your body's ability to handle the stress of higher impact activities. At 32, I've been suffering from the fallout of pushing it too hard since playing football/basketball/lacrosse/tennis back in high school. Multiple doctors have told me that due to repeated trauma to my ankle (probably from sustaining bad sprains and playing through the pain) my joint has built up scar tissue that affects the way the joint cushions the impact of the ground, leaving me the option to fuse the joint (and invite a ton of additional issues with the other parts of my body that would be thrown out of whack by essentially losing a joint) or carry on and deal with the pain as it comes. Interestingly, I tore all the ligaments in my knee (twice in two years!) over ten years ago which required two full knee reconstructions but I rarely, if ever, experience any discomfort in my knee whereas my ankle is something that never feels 100 percent, even if I haven't been active. The biggest difference in my case was how I went about rehabbing and recovering from those different injuries, and judging by the myriad stories about Tiger's penchant for pushing the limits and playing through injury, I'd be surprised if his continuing issues don't have something to do with the way he was able to recover and come back from those injuries. Sometimes smaller injuries that compact over time and aren't allowed to heal properly can cause much greater long term damage than the major stuff that forces you to commit to a rehab plan and stick to it.

Anyways, the body is a complex set of parts and processes that's designed to work in harmony, although things can and often do go sideways. I've had to adapt and pick my spots regarding what my body can handle and whether or not the pain is worth it, but that's an individual choice and it's hard to fault someone for the choices they've made with their own body. Would Tiger choose to have that 08 US Open if he'd known the complications he'd have to deal with in the future, or was it worth it? No one knows for sure, perhaps including Tiger himself. Regardless, we live with the choices we make, c'est la vie. I see a lot of y'all have mentioned cycling as an alternative--anyone get into rowing or the rowing machine? It's been a total game changer for me along with regular yoga practice and I prefer the full body workout over the lower body workout from cycling or stationary bikes.

1) Most people run with incorrect technique. I know that sounds stupid but, what I am saying is the majority of people run with incorrect technique with regard to minimizing injury and long term effect.

2) Some people are genetically predisposed to knee or hip problems and are more likely to have issues than other people.

3) Tiger's swing throughout most of his career, and starting at a young age, was very violent and stressful on his body. In short he never looked like he was "swinging easy".

I expect that his issues are caused by either one or a combination of these three things.

i've always thought his running contributed to his back issues ... lot of wear/tear from all of his workouts, hitting balls, explosive drills, etc ... he didn't need all that cardio ... don't think it was just one period of running in boots ... read stories he'd run before a round, sometimes a slow jog, sometimes an up tempo run ...

I was thinking more about this and was wondering if Woods is speculating or has he had some sort of biomechanics assessment that's meant he's come to this hypothesis. I imagine he'd have access to that kind of process if he wanted it.

Is it true he was running in military boots at one point?

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

lol. So, I got curious and literally just did a little running focused Cardio workout as opposed to cycling.

Went to the park and “jogged” to warm up for 5 minutes. And it was hell! My brains were rattling in my head, every knee ankle joint was like, “what the heck you doing!” Even my face started to hurt.

And keep in mind, I do squats and deadlifts and ride a lot. Not in the worst shape.

So, after the warm up, I did intervals of 30-second sprints for 20 minutes. That was much more fun and didn’t bother me.

Then, I did another 5 minute jog and it wasn’t as bad but still pretty hell like; )

It's been widely reported yes, i mentioned it earlier in the thread but didn't provide any links because i was lazy. But if you search you can find it being discussed. He was obsessed with training to be a SEAL apparently

Here's a story from ABC news for example The Secret History Of Tiger Woods

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

People said at the time that it was bad for him and would result in this, yet he kept at it. At least now he's learned and he's trying to warn those after him. Running can be fine, if you do it right. Unfortunately too many people try to be a hero and do too much. It can be really bad on the joints if you're 200+ and pounding as many miles a week as he was, and be extension the spine as that's absorbing a lot of the impact as well.

Edit: also don't forget that Tiger had knee issues going back to his college days even, that may have set the tone for trouble going forward.

• Like 2

I believe him to a point, but I personally think that Como and Foley had a lot do with that too. I think he's being kind to them. Foley further helped damage him and Como finished him off.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

My guess is he didn't help his back much either. Running absolutely causes issues with my back, but I hate running for the sake of running, so I haven't destroyed my knees.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I think we all know what the real issue is. It was not running approximately 5 miles a day... That is really not all that excessive.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Fun topic to discuss, a lot of us are sacrificing our bodies for our living weekly pay. I don't think with the incredible success hes had in his career he would go back and change much about the way he trained or lived. Who knows what would have been had he not been so relentless and driven, its what made him what he is. I get home from work (heavy equip repair) and I'm quite sore, but I still hit the weights because even at 31 I can see I need to get my body in better shape to have any kind of longevity..... then I walk on the treadmill and pretend I'm walking up the fairway to my perfectly struck drive...... lol

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler