2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Old long driver for shot shaping... 975D, 983K, R510, J33P?

joostin

Thinking of picking up a cheap "classic" sub-400cc driver just for fun that checks the boxes below. One of the ones that show up on "best old driver" threads like 983K/E, R510 TP, J33P:

- Known for great feel/sound (yes it's subjective, Launcher may lack in this area?)

- Can shape shots more easily than modern 460cc ones

- High COR, center hits can keep up with modern drivers' ball speeds (975D too far back?)

- Doesn't have to be forgiving or low spin heads

No plans to change my old Adams out of the bag, just something else fun to knock around once in a while. I missed out on that equipment era I think during broke college years. The only small headed driver I still have is a KZG Maraging Power, 230cc, that's actually a blast to hit big draws & fades. Other sub 460 ones I had in the past were VR Pro Ltd (430)/NV and KZG Gemini (395)/Saga which were solid but I don't remember workability. Lots of great older 420-460cc heads, but not sure on shaping shots like smaller heads can, unless you're Bubba. So I'm thinking ones like 9015D, Anser, G20, J33R, 905, 910, Cleveland Classic, SLDR, M2, LTD are out (?). Of the 4 in the title or other, what's your pick?

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 4W TEE CBX 119, OG HZ Black 75 6.5 4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, HZ Black RDX 90 6.5 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, LAB DF3, Axis1 Rose. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

I think the major OEMs had their drivers at their max COR around 2002-2003. So the 975D that was introduced in 1997 shouldn't be considered according to your specifications. Don't get me wrong. It's a great driver back in the day and very good at shaping shots (just ask Tiger) but isn't the longest when hit on the button.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

@joostin. I'd say pick a size category (i.e. less than 300 cc, less than 400 cc) and go with it. Find the "best of breed" of each and give one a test. Typically can be found inexpensively. Keep in mind, reshafting some of these older drivers can be a bit futzy. A number of them have bore-thru hosels, one needs to be somewhat familiar with the process.
Couple other "classic" D's to consider. Callaway GBB Ruger Titanium (253 cc). Ping TISI ( ~300 cc +). The driver that started the whole COR hubbub IIRC.
The revelation driver for me was a 9.5* Titleist 983K (365 cc) shafted GD YS-6. Showed up in a bargain bin at a time when I was really struggling with the modernist 460 cc. Immediately began hitting straighter drives without sacrificing much in terms of distance. Near perfect head shape and sound, medium sized head. Not much of a ball worker, other than the "power fade". But could hit a slight draw with it on occasion. That's my pick to click. The 983E (350 cc) reportedly had a taller face with lower spin.
The Titleist drivers starting with the 975 variants through the 905's are classically good D's. Moved to a 905T (400 cc) after the 983 thinking it may offer an improvement. Just slightly larger was all.
The inspiring thread that put the Titleist's on the radar: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1218892/titleist-975s/p1
What one considers classic is subject to a very broad definition. As always, YMMV.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I've had a couple of 905S (one with the Graf Blue, one with the V2). If I was feeling the same itch as you are, I'd go either one of those or a 510TP.

Another one that I had that I really liked (albeit 420cc, I think) was a Nike VR Tour with an Axivcore Tour Red. Absolute bomber when I was hitting it well.

TM M5 Tour 9* Diamana Whiteboard 73 X
TM SIM Titanium 14* Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 TX
Mizuno MP18 (MMC Fli-Hi 3-4, MMC 5-PW) DG S300 hardstepped x1
Cleveland RTX3 50/56/60 KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S
TM Ardmore 3 Black Copper  

@JungleJimbo Definitely tons of oldies but goodies on the bay as always!@Fellaheen51 Thx for feedback. I'm leaning towards the 350-400cc range where 983K seems to be the most iconic of it's time. Plenty of 'bay offerings I'd be ok to swing without having to switch shafts in a bore thru... play X, but without a hard transition am comfortable enough with softer flexes.
TiSi is also iconic. @Jeff58 Hadn't considered it but that Cobra looks interesting.
Comments on feel/sound? 983 vs 510 vs TiSi? Hoping to hear feedback on J33P... Bridgestone fans?

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 4W TEE CBX 119, OG HZ Black 75 6.5 4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, HZ Black RDX 90 6.5 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, LAB DF3, Axis1 Rose. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

905T or 905S

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

I spent a bit of time last season using older drivers. I went farther back than you did, into the sub-300cc world, and I didn't keep it to the big names. I also didn't worry about COR being absolutely maxed, though some were at that level. I still have a lot of my old drivers, several of which were components used in shaft experiments. Started sifting thru the old stuff, pulled out a couple, cut a couple down and regripped, and went to the course.

Found it a lot of fun. Misses are obviously treated less well, but I learned to live with it, and actually adjust to the requirements of hitting a smaller clubhead. What was going to be a short term experiment lasted longer, and I found myself shopping older drivers on ebay, though I didn't buy.

One that intrigued me when it was new, based on my results hitting it in store, was the Mizuno T Zoid Forged, the blue head that came in around 275cc. I may still get one of these, there are a number for pretty reasonable prices out there.

Find it more interesting to use something that's not the same old, what-everybody-used driver. Like the above Mizuno, the old Zero Tolerance Crown Jewel, Precept 260LS....

a slightly different take.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I had one of those back in the day. And I can only agree, it was quite the club.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Swing was feeling good and my head got too big. I bagged this for a session on the range and will tell you this: i was definitely move the ball left to right (slice city) ........

The SIM is back in the bag ? Gluck w your search ?

11ee0787-18f7-49df-896c-74b09fe57ed0.jpeg

TSR3 8* w Autoflex 505x shaft
Titleist 915fd w Fujikura Speeder Evolution IV 661 shaft
Titleist TSi3 4 hybrid w Fujikura Tour Spec Blue 7 

Miura CB1008 4i-PW w Oban CT-115 S shafts
Miura Tour Wedge HB 48*, Miura K Grind 2.0 54* & 60* w Oban Ct-115 wedge shafts
Scotty Cameron Red X center shafted putter (I love anything CS)
Titleist Prov1x

Are the 905 series drivers really low spin?

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Driver equip change for shot shaping adjustment doesn't make sense.

Path and face create curvature. If you're hitting off center, the driver might have a slight effect, but a larger head doesn't really guarantee a fairway. If my path is left 5 degrees, and my face open to path 3 degrees, it'll fade the same with a big driver vs small driver head. Off center hits, yes on occasion it may exaggerate it, but that's if your strike is really poor, almost completely off.

I find older drivers heavier, therefore easier to feel. I enjoy the large drivers for their look. I've hit persimmon, and those are wicked good all around. But I've never experienced a difference in overall ball striking, barring the shorter length of a persimmon driver, given the fact it's made of persimmon.

If I wanted a driver of a vintage make however, I'd use Titleist clubs from the 1990s. Excellent clubs.

The only thing about an older driver that will be "easier to shape" is heel/toe hits which will slice/hook more than most modern drivers. Also the idea that it will keep up with modern ball speeds only applies to the most center of center hits, which we aren't hitting most of the time.

Modern 3-woods are going to be hotter, more versatile, and easier to shape. The only thing you're gaining from the older driver is sound/feel.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

^ disagree with a few things here. Confidence has to be one of those intangibles that should be taken into consideration and is hard to measure from one person to another. I know I'm not the only one out there that finds it easier to square up a small headed driver, more so with a shorter shaft. Also disagree that a modern 3 wood is more 'versatile' wrt to something off the tee as it will have a small face and size over all, and I don't believe that a modern 3wood is easier to shape than my 983k or R510 TP. For all the 'modern tech' in today's drivers, my longest drive is still with a 8.5* 983K with stock Speeder that I hit 15+ years ago or so, and my CHS is only 5ish mph less today than back then.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

I don't disagree with the comment about confidence, it is definitely an allusive thing that each person should find from their own experimenting, but the idea that a smaller headed, shorter shafted driver would be easier to square but a modern 3-wood would not does not make a ton of sense to me. Are you saying that there is a point that the head size decrease is too much and it starts working the other way?

I've gone down this road before thinking about bagging a higher lofted, older driver as a sort of "2-wood" type of thing, and it just never adds up. The bigger face will create a much wider area for mishits and gear effect spin inconsistencies, and that bigger face on average is going to be slower outside the sweet spot than today's hotter 3-wood.

If it is all just for fun then I say go for it, obviously you're not hurting anyone. But the only reason any of the older tech will outperform the newer is if you are making better swings/contact with it, and most of the time that can be quantified in terms of weight, length, face angle etc etc. Lots of setups from 15+ years ago would have been shorter and heavier than today's off the rack stuff, and that actually works better for many people. Embrace the tinkering and make tangible the intangible!

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I own the 510tp, 983 E and K, several 905r, 580xd and xd tp the list goes on. The 983E is the longest of these older drivers, the 580xd is the most accurate and the 905r is the best all around for me. All great drivers, find the one you like to look at the most.

The 983 and 905 I blind bore them and put whatever shaft I prefer in them. Ahina 60x works for me in these old titleist heads. 580xd has a tour spec 757x in it.

So funny that this thread is on the 1st page of the equipment thread. My first Titleist driver was a 983K and I loved that thing.

I played with a buddy Friday that still has his clubs from college. I haven’t seen Tour Stage irons in play in years and he still uses his 983K. Was so nostalgic and now has me in the market for a 983.

[b]WITB[/b]
Cobra F9 - Rogue White 130 6X 
Cobra F8 3-4 - Rogue White 130 8X
Cobra F9 19* - Tensei Pro White 90X
Srixon ZX7 4-PW - PX LZ 6.5

Titleist SM7 Black 50,54,58
TM Spider Tour Black

A lot of good ones mentioned already. That said one of the best I've played (for 8 years or so) is the MP-001 9* Graf Blue S. Great feel, easy to shape shots and long! Others I like include the Cleveland Launcher 330 it is a lot of fun to hit. But for all around fun and performance the Mizuno was about the best. https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/23614/mizuno-mp001-400cc-460cc-drivers-very-under-rated