2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

1 hour ago, Jedaigeki said:

My main cause for confusion with NTC videos is the difference in the set up videos to Monte's instruction in D4D.

In NTC Monte states the V between thumb and forefinger points between the chin and should with the right elbow being relaxed however in D4D he is fairly adamant that the V of the right hands points up the arm line (to the shoulder) and that the right elbow is in a much more under position at address, mimicking impact. 

Chin and shoulder is the range.

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

I have pretty much disabused myself of the notion that I know anything about how to swing a golf club... That said, my core takeway from NTC is that if you're going to ulnar deviate from the top, the arms also have to speed up to keep things in synch.  

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

7 hours ago, wmblake2000 said:

I have pretty much disabused myself of the notion that I know anything about how to swing a golf club... That said, my core takeway from NTC is that if you're going to ulnar deviate from the top, the arms also have to speed up to keep things in synch.  

I have the video. It's excellent. One thing I've noticed is that the very act of ulnar deviating from the top, automatically speeds up the arms. That is, the "harder" you UD the quicker the arms move in response. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MMB1500 said:

I have the video. It's excellent. One thing I've noticed is that the very act of ulnar deviating from the top, automatically speeds up the arms. That is, the "harder" you UD the quicker the arms move in response. 

And bingo was his name-o

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

4 hours ago, MMB1500 said:

That’s probably true if you have any athletic talent! But I have had to deliberately speed my arms up. Sort of like solving a puzzle. If one assumes ud is good, then therefore must speed arms up. 

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

5 hours ago, wmblake2000 said:

That’s probably true if you have any athletic talent! But I have had to deliberately speed my arms up. Sort of like solving a puzzle. If one assumes ud is good, then therefore must speed arms up. 

From the top, think of snapping the wrists into UD to send the clubhead toward Monte's intended direction for Cast A.  The snapped clubhead goes into hyperdrive and as long as you have a good grip, the arms go for a ride.

Side benefit:  If you do this, and also get the club to shallow, you get the "motorcycle move" for free, as the clubhead approaches the ball.

• Like 4

On 10/2/2020 at 11:16 AM, acekun said:

I've learned that the harder I throw the cast, the faster my speed.  Testing it on the course tomorrow -- I'm going throw it as hard as I can and see what happens. 

Played 27 holes with this feel yesterday. Hit only one drive that I would consider terrible. Difficult to say how much yardage I picked up because it was so windy, but did pick up some distance based on my buddies' drives. 

This is a speed move as much as anything for me. On SSR, I'm ~108 mph (can get it up to 111mph). I was 98-99 on trackman to start and guessing I'm at 102-103 now (my SSR is about 5 mph fast). My goal is 105 mph, so getting close and think I can get there. My only focus has been on throwing the club as fast as I can from the top. I still haven't figured out how to use ground force -- think I could make another jump if I do that. 

Edited by acekun
  • Like 1

Gotta say, this swing feel really does seem to work. I'm a 6 handicap that has fallen into some old swing habits this year and never seem to have the patience to work on my swing, at least in a way that should help correct over time. 

Really seems to help correct a lot of my woes in my swing and I'm loving it so far. Probably going to purchase the full/updated version on his website.

PRGR radar showed increased CHS and ball speed at the few range sessions I did while concentrating on NTC. 

Played Saturday and the front 9 was a little iffy on strike and hitting fairways but wasn't missing by much.  Got in the groove on the back hitting the ball solid and splitting fairways.  Comparing to normal distances with regular playing partners the radar was not lying.  One guy that is normally long enough there is no need to check to see who's ball it was in our group was actually checking my ball to see if it was his!  He is normally 30 yards past me.

Irons had about 10 yards added with better flight and I don't really have it dialed in yet for full swings.  Accuracy was better also.

Good shots were better and bad shots were no worse or frequent so I'm continuing down this road.

Well done Monte!

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

@TT2017 I think that is why the last few posts have been good for me.  If I just "drop the hands" it's too slow and the shoulders want to rotate too soon.

But, if I "snap the wrists."  Then, my hands are low by the time my shoulders get the memo to turn.  Then, all is right with the world.  Stupid shoulders...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, games said:

@TT2017 I think that is why the last few posts have been good for me.  If I just "drop the hands" it's too slow and the shoulders want to rotate too soon.

But, if I "snap the wrists."  Then, my hands are low by the time my shoulders get the memo to turn.  Then, all is right with the world.  Stupid shoulders...

and therein is the whole goal, IMO, hands that have attained a low position ready for the body/shoulder/whatever your feel, to rotate hard into the ball on a flatter plane than the backswing.

Purchased NTC today to help me get on plane and shallow, been struggling with that lately. I am taking lessons from a good pro in my state but was looking for some new verbiage to help in this regard.

So far, I have struggled but it has been enlightening with how foreign 8 o clock feels for me. When I really really focus on getting 8 o clock it feels so wrong, but naturally I am right on plane. I guess for me it needs to feel very exaggerated until I am more comfortable, but either way I am happy with it. 

Driver: Titleist Tsi2 - GD AD-IZ 6x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM Max 15 - GD AD-VR 7x

hybrid: Ping G425 19 - GD AD-DI Hy 95x

irons (4-pw): Ping iBlade - Project X rifle 6.5 +1"

wedges (50,55,60): Vokey Sm9 - Project X rifle 6.5 +1"

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 36"

Ball: Titleist ProV1

For the price of a couple of double Jameson's you can learn something that can and will transform your game. Give your liver a break for a day and buy the man's video. 

• Like 2

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I played my first 9 holes with some sense that I understand this whole approach.  I do see it as a connected system and is the most clear I ever tied pivot, ground forces and arms/hands together.  This is maybe the best I have felt a whole swing hang together.  I hit the ball really well, most swings and I am def early in the learning process.  There's more speed to be found. Pretty exciting.

I had mentioned I needed to move my arms faster and @mmb1500 said his arms sped up as a consequence of UD.  Now that I sort of get the hang of the move into transition where the left tilt is sustained a beat and force goes into lead foot as UD from top, now i see arms speeding up without trying.  Eliminating premature r tilt is a big deal.  

I've been around enough blocks now to a) know there is always a honeymoon/placebo thing and b) to feel like I know what's substantive.  This feels like a rock-solid approach for me.  

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

2 hours ago, bortass said:

Is UD cast A? Sorry if I'm being thick.

Yep, UD is ulnar deviation.  Ulnar deviation essentially means for your hand to bend toward your pinky.   Radial deviation would be the opposite, bending toward your thumb.

As you can guess, it's called Cast A, because back in the day, doing UD would be called casting the club as a big no no.  As Monte and others pointed out above, it's actually been found in practice that when you attempt to do this, your arms basically automatically speed up.

Edited by chigolfer1

As we all know Monte has said that he has 100's of videos covering the same handful of topics. It's now quite interesting to me, purely from a personal feel perspective, to have implemented the NTC yet I have found myself in the bump, dump and turn territory. I failed miserably at actually trying to implement the bump, dump and turn but it's now the result of the NTC. Ho hum, that's my golf brain.

• Like 1

I've been posting about how I'm working on speed with this move. Today I had 4 birdies, which I think is a personal record. One on a par 3 and the rest were on Par 5s. I actually had a real opportunity to birdie the other par 5 -- I only had an 8 iron with my 2nd shot but put it in the bunker. It was 40 yards closer than I've ever been on that hole.  

Two of my birdies I would attribute to my increased distance -- (1) got on in two and (2) had only a 30 yard pitch for my 3rd shot. The other birdied Par 5 is a 3 shot hole.   

I hit some hooks off the tee today so still work in progress. But I think the increased distance is going to be huge for my game. 

Edited by acekun
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, armesjr said:

@monte - Every once in awhile, I will get a case of the shanks when doing this drill. Thoughts on what is happening when this occurs?

Hard to say without seeing it.  Most hit it off the toe when doing it.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

1 minute ago, BdaGolfer said:

@monte Does the strength of the grip affect the direction of the cast? I have a very strong right hand grip (underneath), so for me up/down is really side to side. Thoughts?

The exact direction will be different, but intent is the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Just back from my 4th range session implementing NTC. I'm 62 and have been playing for over 50 years, played for 4 years in college and was a PGA pro for 6 years before deciding I needed to eat😀 Very familiar with swing theory and have been following Monte for over 10 years including a video lesson in 2013 of which I still keep the notes in my bag from that day. 

Even though I just picked up a Master's Degree from the Medical College of Virginia ( VCU School of Medicine) , I continue to pick up new golf medical terms from Monte such as humerus ( Bounce 2.0) , ulnar deviation ( NTC) and enlarged prostate ( my bad, not Monte, different teaching video).

I'm a member of a very large club of early extenders, goat humpers and flippers that worked fine in my 20s but not so much past the age of 50. I'm about 1000 balls and 9 holes into NTC now and have grown more comfortable into what feels like casting a fishing pole off my right butt cheek on the downswing, but let me tell you, if you give it a chance, you will be amazed at the results. 

For the life of me I could never get my driver SS past the 97-102 range over the last 15 years and I brought my SSRT out to the range the last two sessions to see if NTC would make a difference.  This SSRT is accurate and I measure it against the Trackman at my club on a yearly basis. The screenshots below are from this morning's driver piece of the workout. Out of about 30 driver swings, I reverted to old form ( to be expected) on just under a third of the shots, but even then no snap hooks or block rights which is pretty typical for a flipper, with at least partial NTC getting me a push slight cut rather than the ugly stuff. 

Executing NTC ( as closely as I can at this stage of the game) brought a significant increase in driver SS, a ball flight that is back where it should be (higher vs flip-flight) and less than a 30 yard dispersion rate between shots to the right and to the left with the driver. 

As we all know there are no quick fixes in golf, but if you're looking for a plan you can stick to and trust the source based on their track record, I can't recommend NTC enough....

20201007_112153.jpg

20201007_112555.jpg

20201007_113000.jpg

20201007_113413.jpg

20201007_113829.jpg

20201007_114004.jpg

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max Ventus TR Red Velocore 6R
Titleist TSR 2 3wood Tensei S

Callaway Apex UW 21 Hazardous Smoke 5.5
Mizuno MP 243 5-GW C-Taper Lite R
Mizuno S23 51

Mizuno S22 54

Edel SMS 58
Toulon Daytona StrokeLab 35"

1 hour ago, pacman16 said:

I’d like to buy this but just one question.  For  someone that conceptually doesn’t understand a proper backswing ... does this explain it?  Or is this mostly just about transition?

Monte explains the entire swing and it's pretty simple. The actual understanding and implementation may not be though. I think this video was the easiest to understand with regard to what to try and do during the entire swing that I have seen. Your mileage may vary of course since we don't all learn the same.

The UD comments helped me realize I was working on cast A wrong last week, lol. I was just trying to bend my wrist inward towards my wrist instead of my pinky. I rewatched that section of the video yesterday and that helped as well. Today I made it to the range and did cast A via UD and that seemed much better than what I was doing last week. I'm still a long ways off from be proficient with it but I see better shots at a slightly increased pace now. There is definitely a distance difference with some shots as well.

• Thanks 1

So with this, would it be bad to UD or roll the left wrist at the start of the back swing? Only thing i could think of is it would not cause proper face rotation on the downswing? I am looking forward to putting some of these drills in place. Seems easier to digest than the ES series.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV