2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2020 ANA Inspiration

18majors

IMO you can't fault the players, the wall was there and was there for every player.  Without the wall, sure Mirim probably at best could have made birdie but that doesn't necessarily mean Nelly would have won.  Without the wall, Brooke would laid up also and she was snipping with her irons and wedges and would have had a shot at birdie on 18 to tie and then it's all speculation.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Stooch said:

IMO you can't fault the players, the wall was there and was there for every player.  Without the wall, sure Mirim probably at best could have made birdie but that doesn't necessarily mean Nelly would have won.  Without the wall, Brooke would laid up also and she was snipping with her irons and wedges and would have had a shot at birdie on 18 to tie and then it's all speculation.

I guess what my issue is is more with the the set up than with the players. I understand you can’t fault the players and agree to an extent. I blame it on the way the tour set it up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stooch said:

Agreed.  I just have a hard time with the way the sponsors/LPGA decided to have the signage put up.  I'd use the wall as a backstop too if given the chance.

But it was a good win for Mirim, but I just have this nagging feeling that she backed into it somehow.

• Like 1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

2 hours ago, mallrat said:

I guess what my issue is is more with the the set up than with the players. I understand you can’t fault the players and agree to an extent. I blame it on the way the tour set it up. 

They made a great point on Morning Drive, maybe they should have had a thick lush rough where the wall was.  Try Brooke's shot and you're swimming and Mirim's shot you pitch out thick rough and making the shot incredibly difficult to get close.

12 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

You mean bad like the old Batman tv show with Adam West and Burt Ward ... where they climbed up tall building with their bat rope and bat hook, while cameo celebrities would poke out of the windows to chat with the dynamic duo?  Where it attempted to look like they were climbing the tall building but the audience knew that the camera was just tilted sideways? ??

Wait, what?!?!  They just tilted the camera?!  Dang, next thing you'll tell me my dog didn't really just go to live on a farm upstate...

All in all, a fun tournament.  Very impressed with Zhang's showing, looking forward to seeing more, but not with any expectations akin to Wie and Freddy Adu (for those that follow that sport) and their resultant not-as-impressive-as-hyped careers.  *I still argue Wie's career has been very impressive, just not as hyped.

Great win by Lee and luck certainly played a role, but that's the game.  Not to take anything away from her.  I was surprised at how bummed I was that Nelly didn't win, I was really starting to pull for her from Saturday.  Once In Gee was out of it I reverted to my "oh well let's just watch some good golf" not giving too much.  Then on Sunday I kept watch of the boards while doing my honey-do list and starting rooting for Nelly to get one.

I was finally able to see In Gee during more than one round since, I don't know, 2017?  That made my weekend.  I still think she has the most beautiful natural swing in golf, makes it look effortless.

SHP, we need to talk about your pants....  My mother-in-law was not impressed.

1 hour ago, tbowles411 said:

Agreed.  I just have a hard time with the way the sponsors/LPGA decided to have the signage put up.  I'd use the wall as a backstop too if given the chance.

But it was a good win for Mirim, but I just have this nagging feeling that she backed into it somehow.

She eagled the 72nd hole to make the play-off, and then birdied the 1st play-off hole for the win. That's backing in?

• Like 4

As a consolation, Nelly Korda received a lot of love from social media.  In particular, she picked up 9,000 new Instagram followers to 152,000; closing on Jessica Korda (152,000) and Danielle Kang (154,000).

In this age of social media; sentiment is an important ingredient of success.  The more sentiment Nelly can build, the more the return of her next success.

Go, Nelly, win 2020 KPMG and collects that $645,000 winner's check.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 18majors said:

As a consolation, Nelly Korda received a lot of love from social media.  In particular, she picked up 9,000 new Instagram followers to 152,000; closing on Jessica Korda (152,000) and Danielle Kang (154,000).

In this age of social media; sentiment is an important ingredient of success.  The more sentiment Nelly can build, the more the return of her next success.

Go, Nelly, win 2020 KPMG and collects that $645,000 winner's check.

And she's now #2 in the World which is probably the bigger get.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Langlands said:

She eagled the 72nd hole to make the play-off, and then birdied the 1st play-off hole for the win. That's backing in?

In my view yes.  I know she had to hit the shots and she took advantage of the course she was handed.  However, I still have a hard time with the fact of the signage enabled her to play a shot knowing she stood a good chance of getting relief.  If it wasn't there, she probably would have had to lay up and play it differently.

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

12 minutes ago, tbowles411 said:

In my view yes.  I know she had to hit the shots and she took advantage of the course she was handed.  However, I still have a hard time with the fact of the signage enabled her to play a shot knowing she stood a good chance of getting relief.  If it wasn't there, she probably would have had to lay up and play it differently.

You’re right, virtually everyone would have had to lay up. How exciting!?  And it was not a “free” shot. We saw quite a few players right of the wall/faux grandstand and finish in the hazard. Or even on the bridge.

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

2 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

You’re right, virtually everyone would have had to lay up. How exciting!?  And it was not a “free” shot. We saw quite a few players right of the wall/faux grandstand and finish in the hazard. Or even on the bridge.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, or I'm just being some disgruntled old guy, but I just saw it as an advantage.  Get off my lawn!  LOL

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tbowles411 said:

Maybe I'm being too harsh, or I'm just being some disgruntled old guy, but I just saw it as an advantage.  Get off my lawn!  LOL

It's an advantage that lot of players took, not just Mirim..   Nelly might have to, but she had to layup.  Her drive prevented her from getting there on 2..  Both of her drive was in the rough..

It's an advantage that was available for all players, if they can reach it.

• Like 1

I agree with Stooch and others that the wall allowed players to reach with a little more reward than risk. The same could have been done with thick rough. If Nelly hit the fairway in regulation she could have won using the wall.  She didn’t. Lee meanwhile who had been fighting her driver all week found the fairway both times she needed it. Over the years this hole has had many dramatic finishes both great and tragic. While it is contrived the hole allows top players to test their strategy and skill.  
 For me it would play better as a long par 4 with no wall where shorter clubs can hold the green but emphasizing playing from the fairway. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 8602081 said:

It's an advantage that lot of players took, not just Mirim..   Nelly might have to, but she had to layup.  Her drive prevented her from getting there on 2..  Both of her drive was in the rough..

It's an advantage that was available for all players, if they can reach it.

I suppose so.  It's obviously just me.  I just feel like it's and advantage that shouldn't be there.

Edited by tbowles411

at Augusta they don't put grandstands behind the 15th green for a reason, same hole design here .. put the stands left of the green ands problem solved

Sorry to see Brooke putt so poorly and on 13 she had no reason not to hack out a 8 iron short left of the green

• Like 1

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

I was really shocked to see Nelly putting cross handed. When did that happen? She's never done that in all the times I've followed her in Florida events. And if she continues cross handed there won't be any reason for me to continue to follow her group, once following is actually available again.

I can't believe so many of these players and especially LPGA players view cross handed as an equal option, and not a weakness. I mentioned here years ago that once Lydia was tinkering all over the place on the greens and primarily reliant on cross handed from short range it was a sure sign she would not come close to matching expectation.

Nelly's miss off the tee is left. I've seen that numerous times. She doesn't miss often but when she does it's a pull, and especially when she is thinking too much. Last year at CME Saturday she missed an 18 inch par putt on 16 and then immediately pull hooked her drive on 17 into the left trees where she was forced to pitch out on the par 5. Then three more times she missed left off the tee in the Sunday round, notably on the par 5s including 14. Those two tee shots on par 5 18 yesterday were identical.

Bottom line, after Nelly made the par save on 17 to retain the lead, she never hit another good shot. That must-make birdie putt on 18 in the playoff was pathetically weak, but exactly what I would expect from someone who has switched to cross handed. Normally Nelly is very aggressive on putts like that.

I was reminded of Kristy McPherson, who led this event going in 18 but had it taken away via eagle from Brittany Lincicome. Brittany used the back slope and not a contrived backstop. Judy Rankin understood how asinine that wall was, but was overly tentative in calling it out until late on Sunday. It should have been a pronounced mockery all week. As others have mentioned, growing the rough back there was a solution that shouldn't have required 10 seconds thought, other than desperation to plaster the name of the sponsor regardless of impact on the actual golf.

I'm glad Nelly has benefitted on social media. I was very impressed with one retweet she made a few days ago. There is some worldy clarity in the LPGA, in contrast to the PGA, which I basically don't follow anymore due to the disgraceful tour mindset, and glaring again via recent "apology." 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Medson said:

I read from somewhere that Nelly began putting cross handed recently. Maybe around Women's British Open?

Only if Brooke can putt a little bit better ... 

I had no idea how Mirim played except those chip-in birdie/eagle. 

My biggest pet peeve with Brooke, her dad has been an excellent coach for her but putting has lagged behind.  I know with Covid thing different at the moment but maybe with the putting a different set of eye can be a big help.  She's a regular at Billy Andrade and Brad Faxon charity tournament, why not ask Brad for a little help, I think he's really helped Rory with his putting and honestly Brooke is the mirror image of Rory in terms of their struggles on the greens.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

She had one bogie on the day. That's not backing in. To win the ANA one must stay within earshot of the leaders, and history shows that they'll make mistakes coming down the stretch. Both Nelly and Brooke had their chances, but faltered. It was anyone's game going into the playoff, and she grabbed it by the throat.

OK I'm wrong!  Wrong wrong wrong!  LOL!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Awsi Dooger said:

I'm glad Nelly has benefitted on social media. I was very impressed with one retweet she made a few days ago. There is some worldy clarity in the LPGA, in contrast to the PGA, which I basically don't follow anymore due to the disgraceful tour mindset, and glaring again via recent "apology." 

For those of us whole-heartedly opposed to anti-social media, what was the tweet?  Or would that lead to a potential discussion not welcome on this forum?  Just curious if you could elaborate.  If not, cool.

5 hours ago, Yellow Jacket said:

I wonder if Rose’s parents would ask her to graduate from Stanford before going on tour.

I don't know.  Interesting.  What about if SHE wants to finish college first?  Also, it's possible to finish in less than four years - she could choose that.

I was at the course today - she obviously wasn't there.  But several of the guys there who know her (she's been practicing there since she was about 10 years old) had nothing but nice things to say about her and her game.  They all watched her (and also the US Women's Am last month). 

She is also a very nice human being.  Absolutely no bad attitude.  In my mind, she's already hit the jackpot.

I hope she stays healthy.

And I hope no one tries to change her swing.

It will be fun to see her progress at the next levels.

• Like 1

Justin Thomas leads backlash against decision to place advertising hoarding at back of 18th green at the Ana Inspiration

Thomas took to social media to vent his frustrations. “Cost @NellyKorda a major! Such a bad set-up on the last hole of a major,” Thomas tweeted under a picture of the ending the offending “wall”. “It takes the thought out of, ‘can I hold the green with a long iron/wood and not go over the green in water?’,” he later added. “Instead it’s blast into the wall, drop off edge of green. Birdie (or eagle for the champ!)”

Judy Rankin, the former Tour winner turned Golf Channel analyst, noted there is usually a corporate grandstand there anyway but pleaded with the LPGA to fix the farce for 2021. “Today’s players are so talented that they would find a way to deal with an island green,” she said. “They do not need an assist!”

1 hour ago, ebk said:

I don't know.  Interesting.  What about if SHE wants to finish college first?  Also, it's possible to finish in less than four years - she could choose that.

I was at the course today - she obviously wasn't there.  But several of the guys there who know her (she's been practicing there since she was about 10 years old) had nothing but nice things to say about her and her game.  They all watched her (and also the US Women's Am last month). 

She is also a very nice human being.  Absolutely no bad attitude.  In my mind, she's already hit the jackpot.

I hope she stays healthy.

And I hope no one tries to change her swing.

It will be fun to see her progress at the next levels.

I thought her interview after the round was impressive.  Very poised for someone that young.  She'll be easy to root for.

• Like 1