The Match III: Phil + Chuck vs Steph + Payton

tw_focus

16 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Bro, everybody is half passed out in food coma. I think I just had my 8th plate of leftovers.

We like anything in this state, lol. Make yeself a sangwich and enjoy. Put lot o gravy. 

I’m too hungover to make anything other then pissy golfwrx comments

• Haha 1

So on the pre-show they had Eli Manning there and said he was going to be on the course a hole behind the match, trying some of the challenge shots or whatever. Never saw him. Did that content go straight to the web or something? 

Edited by me05501

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Curry is the modern Kenny G from the sounds of things 

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

1606340343712.png

1. The Match #3 highlight was the beauty of Stone Canyon Golf Club, especially the elevation changes and the small tee boxes carved into the stones that were too small for Barkley.

2. The "call in celebrity" feature to fill in time seems to have reached its peak.  At times it seemed like 6 announcers were attempting to squeeze in their vital insight at one time.  What value were Cheyenne Woods, Andre Iguodala and Eli Manning supposed to add?

3. How about some golf?  None of the players played well.  Praising a TNT employee for not choking back to the hitch in his downswing was the topic of the day.

4. I was hoping that some of the trash talk, a highlight of Match 2, would carry the show.  But, Manning and Curry were truly "lock jaw" when they fell behind early.  Michelson's repeated putting clinic sermons could have been minimized.

Maybe because I live in a no snow climate my need for golf on tv in November/December is minimized.  Maybe with Euro Tour, NCAA, Korn Ferry, Champions, LPGA and PGA coverage filling the calendar, we are oversaturated.

Good for TNT for trying new stuff.  It is going to take a creative production team to come up with the freshness of The Skins Game of 1983.  

Ooof. Just hit the last mountain of leftover stuffing, yams, potatoes, and corn casserole. 

It was out of balance with the remaining turkey, had to even it up.

Think There’s enough left for a last frying pan full of all the leftovers doused in gravy. Made a lot of gravy this year, that’s the key.

Can they get another Match going fo tomorrow? Doesn’t have to be A-list players, just something.
Get like Boomer Esiason, Mugsy Bowles, Charles Oakley and Duffy Waldorf 😂

Edited by bscinstnct

Curry would whoop 90 percent on here. Look at his web.com tournament a year or so ago.The difference between Phil and Curry is huge. Some could argue larger than Chuck and Steph. 

The match was a snoozer when Chuck showed he could hit the fairways and make the other 2 play Phil in approach shots. I thought it was odd when they played Phil's tee ball on hole 1 but they learned the correct ball to play after. 

• Like 2

It was a fun event overall but FAR from the event in the spring with TW and Brady. Phil looked really good in the first half of the match, making some great shots and providing the wise tutelage. It was fun to watch his "FIGJAM" persona (is it a persona or the real Phil?!?) during those holes where they were rattling off wins. The second half wasn't such great golf, both teams made mistakes and Phil + Chuck just held on by virtue of their early lead.

For anyone who doubts Steph's handicap, just go look up his stats on the Korn Ferry tour. He played a few rounds, it's not hard to check the stats. You can't judge a guy by his match play with Payton Manning exhibition, just check his real life stats.

• Like 1

I'm happy for Charles to overcome his full swing yips and get to enjoy golf again. Its apparent the guy loves golf. Him and Phil are both very entertaining personalities.  They 100% carried this show.

The match went as expected.  I don't understand all the guys bashing the level of play,  this was half golf and half circus. There were so many distractions for the players. Phil had his head on a swivel the whole match. Distractions galore. All in all they played pretty good. Hell my level of golf goes down hill sometimes when I get a phone call or a text just enough to distract me. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 8602081 said:

Did Phil have autoflex shafts?

No, he uses KBS TD shaft. Similar looks but it is red color where the autoflex is hot pink. Easy to confuse from far away tho.

Adam Scott and Matt Kuchar have requested the shafts just before the Masters this year and are testing them now, along with several LPGA pros.

Regarding Curry's handicap I have golfed with a legit +1 who can shoot a 67 one day and 81 the next.  There is no way that anybody sitting on their couch watching one round on TV can determine what someone's index should or should not be.

Edited by Nels55
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, dwboston said:

Peyton and Curry played a practice round this morning in 50 minutes?  How is that possible even with carts?  That's less than 3 minutes per hole.

I was wondering the same thing. I played 9 holes once on an empty course with a cart and it took me 50 minutes. Just more hyperbole. 

As to Curry's HI, maybe he was having an off day, maybe it was nerves, maybe a combination of the two? We've all shot bad rounds that do not reflect our HI. 

3 hours ago, MUNIGRIT said:

Curry would whoop 90 percent on here. Look at his web.com tournament a year or so ago.The difference between Phil and Curry is huge. Some could argue larger than Chuck and Steph. 

The match was a snoozer when Chuck showed he could hit the fairways and make the other 2 play Phil in approach shots. I thought it was odd when they played Phil's tee ball on hole 1 but they learned the correct ball to play after. 

I thought it was funny when Phil was yelling at Chuck, "Hit the 7-iron, hit the 7-iron!", when Chuck was teeing off on a par 5. 

• Like 1

Wow. Last time I saw Charles swing was on Hank Haney’s tv show. Somewhere after that I heard Haney told him to switch to left handed, there was no hope for him to play right handed. From that place to what he has now is incredible improvement. I watched almost the whole match mainly because I was eager to see if he could sustain it. I saw one hitchy swing with a driver and of course some terrible shots.  But not anywhere near as god-awful as on Haney show.

• Like 1

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

3 hours ago, xoxo_tw said:

most entertaining "the match" yet. 

but Phil's team would have had this with him blindfolded.  he need to team up with a total beginner next year for it becoming close.... 

Well.. He does own the place..  Phil probably knows the course inside out...

Loved the trash talks..  

7 hours ago, Nels55 said:

Regarding Curry's handicap I have golfed with a legit +1 who can shoot a 67 one day and 81 the next.  There is no way that anybody sitting on their couch watching one round on TV can determine what someone's index should or should not be.

Andre Iguodala has played lots of rounds of golf with Curry and during yesterday's broadcast he made a few comments questioning Curry's handicap. 

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

To me it’s a bit like a NASCAR event where some tune in to watch crashes, some are wrapped up in who wins and their favorite or least favorite drivers  and a few have a blended interest.  Peyton may be too competitive while playing to let his full vernacular come out for trash talking.  Love Sir Charles but he might be better served in the booth based on his energy levels mid match.

So many good choices for trash talk, might add a few new choices next time?  Hard to deny the appeal of Tiger (repeat) and JT, Phil as well.  MJ obviously and Kisner seems like a fit that most if not all outside golf would be clueless to, and maybe that’s a good thing to new viewers in an effort to gain support for the tour?  It must be hard for the amateurs to let loose with all the staging around them, was hoping for a Zoom with Brady in Chuck’s ear.

Who are the talkers on the LPGA?

17 minutes ago, stickfish said:

To me it’s a bit like a NASCAR event where some tune in to watch crashes, some are wrapped up in who wins and their favorite or least favorite drivers  and a few have a blended interest.  Peyton may be too competitive while playing to let his full vernacular come out for trash talking.  Love Sir Charles but he might be better served in the booth based on his energy levels mid match.

So many good choices for trash talk, might add a few new choices next time?  Hard to deny the appeal of Tiger (repeat) and JT, Phil as well.  MJ obviously and Kisner seems like a fit that most if not all outside golf would be clueless to, and maybe that’s a good thing to new viewers in an effort to gain support for the tour?  It must be hard for the amateurs to let loose with all the staging around them, was hoping for a Zoom with Brady in Chuck’s ear.

Who are the talkers on the LPGA?

That’s a great question. Get at woman out there who likes to trash talk, that would be hilarious 

On 11/26/2020 at 5:12 PM, tw_focus said:

This is coming up tomorrow. On paper Phil + Chuck have almost no chance, the way I see it their default score will be bogey on most holes while Steph + Payton will mostly make pars. Payton was money last time except for some errant tee shots and now that doesn't even matter. The format strongly favors Steph + Payton. I have five figures on them.

Edit: I should mention the one wildcard would be if Chuck actually spent the last few months focusing on golf. The guy is a former professional athlete and could be a decent golfer if he really put time, energy, and mental into it, but so far he has not. I have an insider who saw Chuck swing lately and he tells me there's no improvement since spring. So I expect the same old chuck unfortunately (well not unfortunately for me because I have money on the other side).

Woof. Hope that 5 figure bet wasn’t a big deal for you. I know guys that bet 5 figures on the time it takes stoplights to turn green without real consequence in their life and others that borrow $9,997 on a credit card to place the bet. I hope you are the former. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sean2 said:

I thought it was funny when Phil was yelling at Chuck, "Hit the 7-iron, hit the 7-iron!", when Chuck was teeing off on a par 5. 

On the green the shot before he was telling Chuck he needs to hit 7 or 6 iron. He just wanted Chuck in the fairway. Even if Phil's bomb down the left was in play they probably play Chucks ball since you don't want him hitting over that water.

• Like 1