Average distance loss playing blade

hypergolf

I noticed there is average of 1/2 to 1 club distance loss from 3-6 irons for MBs.

7-PW no problem. Same as forged cavity back irons.

Is this common. There is 1* difference between MBs and CBs but distance loss seems a bit much.

Can someone explain? Thanks.

Edited by hypergolf

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

I'd agree with what you've posted , blades definitely less forgiving , based on design alone 

cavity backs will have more perimeter weighting , I play Bridgestone blades and have had no issues 

with distance loss but I'm used to my clubs I also play blades from 5 iron up just silly not to use hybrids in the 3 &4 irons .

For me, it's mostly about the difference in loft.  MB's are generally higher lofts, and that impacts distance a lot.  

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 9* - KBS TD 60 CAT3 | Taylormade SIM2 Max 3HL(16.5*) - VA Composites Raijin 74 four | Taylormade Sim2 Max 5w(18*) - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x | Srixon Z785 4-PW - KBS Tour FLT (S) | Vokey SM8 50.08F(51*), 56.12D, SM9 64.04W - DG Tour Issue S400 | Scotty Cameron Fastback

So I noticed why this is happening. Might be an obvious answer.

With MB long irons, I really need to give 100% focus, whereas CB long irons I could just swing away say with 80% focus and let my normal golf swing muscle memory take control.

Perhaps it is because it is first time I am using blades.

With 100% focus on every shot, my distance came back to normal with long irons despite weaker loft. I do hope I can go into auto pilot mode with blades eventually.

Edited by hypergolf
  • Like 2

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

The only two blade sets I've played are MP33s and MP32s. The MP33s were 1° weaker than my normal cavity back gamers and the 32s lofts were identical. On normal/good strikes no loss of distance whatsoever with these blade irons versus my cavity back irons. 

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

Loft for loft I have never really noticed a MB losing more yardage than a CB. As someone else said the difference in distance loss increases as you go to longer irons.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Same loft you shouldn't expect much distance loss unless you have noticeably different trajectories. IE i could see someone struggling to elevate blades in the 3-4-5 irons and that could cause distance loss vs a GI

However if you don't have these issues you should hit them the same length. 

The "longest" i've ever hit irons was actually a quasi-blade (S59). I once hit the 3 iron 251yds carry into a trackman, that's the longest i have ever hit an iron that was measured

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Something I had found when playing Mizuno MS-11s about 12-14 years ago...

I was at my peak for distance around that time.  Found by accident how much spin was killing my distance when I put a lower spin, firmer ball in play.  My long and mid irons saw a club and a half distance jump.  The distance increase disappeared when I switched away from that ball (it was discontinued).

That spin was one reason I played Eye2+ for a year, they spun 1200 rpm less than the MS-11s at the 6 iron, which also gave me a distance bump.

No idea if this could be what you're seeing, but it could be in play.  <shrug>

Side note: I've found other blades in my possession that don't have the same spin issues as that set of Mizunos, including the MP-37s.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

14 hours ago, Nard_S said:

Loft for loft......um...no.

Same.

My blades were 1 club different in number, but loft progression was the same 

blade 6 iron = “players distance” 7iron

I hit my blade 6 iron 2 yards longer than my “players Distance” 7 iron which were both the same loft..... only difference was the shaft lengths 1/2”

miss hits were a different story. My miss is thin, and there was little loss in the “players distance” compared to the blades, which was significant. 

Loss of distance in the longer irons (doesn't matter if it's a blade, or a CB) account for either one of 2 things or a combination of them.

Off center strikes

Clubhead Speed

If you are losing distance in the longer irons despite yet make solid, centered contact, then you are losing clubhead speed and might consider using a fairway wood or hybrid to replace them.

• Like 2

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

1 hour ago, cgasucks said:

Loss of distance in the longer irons (doesn't matter if it's a blade, or a CB) account for either one of 2 things or a combination of them.

Off center strikes

Clubhead Speed

If you are losing distance in the longer irons despite yet make solid, centered contact, then you are losing clubhead speed and might consider using a fairway wood or hybrid to replace them.

This is spot on, get to a monitor to verify.

You may have options , adjust loft stronger, keep in mind changes in the bounce of the iron, and spin rate can effect distance and playability.

• Like 1

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Ball speed is the same for me loft for loft between a blade and a CB. Higher launch and lower spin are why you see pros putting more “helpful” long irons in the bag. 

You also need to get used to not trying to murder your irons. I’m learning how to efficiently use my weight to get distance and not pulling on the handle so much is making me much quicker and more efficient. Can pretty easily swing 4i at 110 now with good sequencing. 

I will say for me this is where the “bay” vs. “course” has me contemplating toying with loft. In the bay I hit my numbers as I expect. On the course I tend to get a ball which spins a fair too much. Finding a ball that works as well with my irons as with my driver has been a conundrum.

Given my lack of land angle issues I have contemplated strengthening the lofts to bring the flight and spin down for the real world.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

It depends in part on clubhead speed, and the head design.

Twelve years ago I was swapping out irons, going from S to back to R flex throughout the bag.

Some people suggested I try G10 and second-wave Big Bertha irons. These were SGI, but also had high launch shafts. From 7i through wedge pretty well popped up in the air.

Likewise, I hit some Callaway X20 irons with mid-launch, heavier Uniflex shafts. These flew a "club+" longer than the G10 or BB short irons, flying fairly high but not ballooning.

So, someone with high swing speed and {blades + aggressive shaft} might get longer distance because they don't balloon the ball.

Someone with lower clubhead speed would definitely lose distance in 3i-6i or so with blades. Find what works and go with it!

Edited by ChipNRun
  • Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Generally, I assume I will lose a club length on a miss, and as much as 2 clubs on a very poor strike.  

If I have a green with a hazard within 20 yards short of target, I'll take an extra club and swing a little easier to take the pressure off. 

For what it's worth, I thought this video from Mark Crossfield was interesting and on point. He basically put the Callaway Mavrik up against an old top-flite blade to measure distance loss/forgiveness on a launch monitor. 

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nnIR2oCRWYM

12 hours ago, GolfChannel said:

I will say for me this is where the “bay” vs. “course” has me contemplating toying with loft. In the bay I hit my numbers as I expect. On the course I tend to get a ball which spins a fair too much. Finding a ball that works as well with my irons as with my driver has been a conundrum.

Given my lack of land angle issues I have contemplated strengthening the lofts to bring the flight and spin down for the real world.

Left dash Pro V1X is a unicorn. Still spins like crazy off wedges but is low spin off long clubs. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Left dash Pro V1X is a unicorn. Still spins like crazy off wedges but is low spin off long clubs. 

That’s been my gamer the last 2 months. Spin still a little high which is why I figured strengthening the lofts 1 degree would help just enough since I have the heights and land angle to burn.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

On 12/27/2020 at 4:18 AM, hypergolf said:

With MB long irons, I really need to give 100% focus, whereas CB long irons I could just swing away say with 80% focus and let my normal golf swing muscle memory take control.

With 100% focus on every shot, my distance came back to normal with long irons despite weaker loft. I do hope I can go into auto pilot mode with blades eventually.

Honestly this. Cause I was thinking to myself that “I wonder how much commitment is behind your mis-hit”  

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

Big issue with longer irons of any type is swinging full with them. Ideal is like an aggressive #7i with same attack angle. It gets easy to approach a long iron like it's a fairway or hybrid, which is wrong.The other mistake is trying to steer the ball which is also as bad. Another factor is when I ask myself, 'do  I practice with them as much as others?', the answer is unequivocally, no.

No distance loss with blades for me. My swing speed has increased though and if anything I am hitting it further because of that. For what it is worth regarding distance, distance control does seem a bit easier with blades. I get out what I put in. Someone smarter maybe able to comment but my spin numbers are also a bit higher and IMO optimal. Holding greens with all my clubs (4-P) has been a lot easier since making the transition. 

That all being said, mishits with blades do come up shorter than my previous CB irons; however, that is all me and my swing. In summary, good shots are better- bad shots are REALLY short. Either way, I am having the most fun playing with blades so they are staying in the bag.

Driver: PING G410 LST, Ping Tour 65X

3 Wood: PING G400, Project x EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5

3 Hybrid: PING G410, Ping Tour 85 X

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PING Glide (50SS, 54WS, 58ES), Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Taylormade TP5 (Pix or Yellow)

On 12/26/2020 at 8:35 PM, Shupe said:

I would never look at it as losing distance with blades.  You gain distance with other hotter faced clubs with less loft.

Exactly!  If you hit a traditional lofted blade such as a Wilson Staff FG51 or Hogan Apex you'll be at least a club or two shorter compared to today's modern lofts (SIM, Maverick, etc).  

Never lost any distance playing blades. Gained consistency when it comes to yardage. I have played GI clubs and “gained” distance, but found it was due to stronger lofts, lower cg and longer shafts and was harder to control flights, spin and distance.  I’ve gone back to blades exclusively because of this. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 3:18 AM, hypergolf said:

For THIS exact reason here, I choose the most automatic/"auto-pilot" type clubs I can stand to look at. Score card is where it counts!

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick