Farmers Insurance Open 2021

MattyO1984

Just now, Sean2 said:

The way some people are reacting it definitely has an affect on theirs. 🙂

Yeah it definitely seems there is a lot of passion on the subject lol.

• Like 1

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

1 hour ago, cardoustie said:

I often ride in carts in mid-am events

If I hit a drive that is anywhere near going towards trouble I get a guy to hop on with me so there is no issue with a found ball or good lie,,,,,,, its the proper thing to do

Just strange to me as I want to go out of the way to leave no question of monkey biz or shenanigans ... i think going forward he should adopt the same mentality 

I don't play tournaments, wish I was good enough to do so, but even in a game for chuckles with zero on the line I let folks know why I think I am entitled to relief and what it is.  As I've said, they could really care less and questions are usually academic, or we may look up a rule on a phone, but it's usually "whatever".  Heck, playing with a family member we all do the same thing (okay not my Dad, lol).

I did play in a match play event and up in a bunker in front of and below a green. Opponent to whom I was giving a stroke was over the green and almost out of sight, so I'm standing in the bunker watching him try and get on the green (a few times) and my grip relaxed just a tad and the sole of my wedge barely touched the sand, but I felt it (I'm looking at you P. Reed).  I told him and assessed myself two strokes and even with the 5 I ended up beating his net 6. Anyway I wasn't sure about the penalty and when we hit the turn two holes later, the pro and I got out the rules and sure enough should have been loss of hole.  Pro did bring up whether we should check to see if teeing off on the next hole voided any further action (he thought so) but my opinion was that I was the one representing what the rule was and was wrong and felt I'd lost the hole and that's how we should treat it.  So maybe there was an out, but didn't want it.

Two years later playing a friend we are on 18, I'm one up, no way to see his ball land from way down the hill on 18 and we get up there and no ball anywhere.  We probably looked 10 minutes, lol, and I just figured when he was ready to call it he would. Sure enough, he's just getting ready to give up the ghost and a mutual friend (who actually was hoping to find out I'd won) shows up and of course we all start looking again and about 5 minutes later he finds it (he felt kind of bad, but hey, we were all wanting to find the guy's ball).  I bogey, other guy pars and off to a playoff hole and I lose that.  No biggie, I just couldn't pull the trigger on the old 5 minute rule.

Rules are tough and involve a lot of personal politics - hats off to anyone who can handle situations that I'm sure can get edgy in competition.

My only question (all similar situations) would be after a ball bounced, is the ground it bounced to soft enough for the ball to embed? and if it is how was the original landing spot firm enough to allow a forward bounce? Kind of a difficult thing to judge, but I can imagine some hefty foot prints in such soft ground.

I didn't think PR would win, but he did.  I simply played the odds; there were a lot of chasers.  But PR is as TW says, "tough as nails."  So credit to PR.  

What I do not understand is why is Bamberger always the hater.

https://golf.com/news/patrick-reed-reminder-winning-doesnt-care-everything/

And why did Xander put himself out there and talk about the Tour protecting PR???  Talk about sour grapes.  That's a no win there Xander.  Leave it alone.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ebk said:

I guess the tournament sponsor has truly now seen a thing or two...

And we are Farmers da da da bum bum bum

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Well. Even though we’ve seen both players balls bounce in the rough, I’ve yet to see any ball plug, and we’ve all played a lot of golf. Even a spinning ball I can’t see plug. 

Except ....
This guy says it was plugged! 

ABD1DA6E-9B2F-4257-8825-0688F6094F00.png

Edited by woodriff

Maybe it should be mandatory that whenever a golfer wants relief or move to move his ball they have to consult a rules official first before any moving is done. The PGA should have officials abundantly to perform these tasks as well.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

19 minutes ago, hybrid25 said:

Maybe it should be mandatory that whenever a golfer wants relief or move to move his ball they have to consult a rules official first before any moving is done. The PGA should have officials abundantly to perform these tasks as well.

The rules were changed 2 years ago to speed up play. That would slow everything down. 

• Like 1

I don't think people realize how much of the RoG are policed only by playing partners. Drops from cartpaths/drains/sprinkler heads/casual water/GUR, figuring out where (and if) a ball crossed a hazard line, these things are all done multiple times per tournament round with no crowds or cameras or rules officials in sight. Heck before the new rules they used to determine what was a pitch mark or a spike mark, things like that. The rules are not accurately followed (usually inadvertently) on a pretty regular basis. It is up the player and his playing partner to determine what is fair and correct the vast majority of the time. 

3 hours ago, hybrid25 said:

Great in theory, but do you create a ruling where every person, whether pro or am, has to have someone else verify their ball conditions?  If so, where does that stop?  Or are we talking bifurcation?  If so, why treat pros differently?  Are they less honorable than amateurs and more likely to cheat?  Then you start drawing that line in the game of golf again where different people play under a different set of rules.  Hows that working for the equipment/distance discussion right now?  

It’s pandora’s box going about it that way. 

• Like 1

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

54 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

On. some level it's even more amazing you can spin ball into the dirt on a green. Even more amazing than Rory's ball "falling back into pitch mark", lol.

Greens are certainly harder than fairways after it rains EVERYWHERE I play. Our superintendents move tees to compensate for the very same thing.  

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)

Spider Tour X3

On 2/1/2021 at 7:00 PM, CasualLie said:

I didn't think PR would win, but he did.  I simply played the odds; there were a lot of chasers.  But PR is as TW says, "tough as nails."  So credit to PR.  

And why did Xander put himself out there and talk about the Tour protecting PR???  Talk about sour grapes.  That's a no win there Xander.  Leave it alone.

Xander is a bit young, and needs to watch his mouth.  He, like other pros, does not need to put his foot in his mouth, when he was not there to witness whatever.

• Confused 1

On 2/1/2021 at 7:00 PM, CasualLie said:

A shame.  I liked Xander and he is a good golfer.

Americans?  I guess DJ, JT, Phil and Rickie.  

The non-Americans seem to have less drama.  Cheerful Victor Hovland who seems happy about everything and hits 74% of his fairways.  And I like the S Korean kid (Si Woo Kim) who bombs his driver off the fairway.  He is pretty quiet but has a good personality.

NLU mentioned this possible scenario on their podcast. I was surprised it came to be. The marshal didn’t want to admit it early on or the PGA Tour has it out for Reed.

Back to Reed. Three options:

1. His ball embedded after it bounced like most people have come to think and he was entitled to free relief, or

2. His marshal stepped on his ball too and has yet to tell him, or

3. Reed manipulated his lie or the situation in general to get free relief like many who were criticizing him originally maintained

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Gotta admit...at this point it's Wed, three days later.  All that's happening is we are feeding the media machine by continuing to dwell on it and discuss, it's exactly what they want.  I think we've all said our opinions about 37 times already.  🙂  I turned the TV off GC yesterday when they were STILL bringing it up just so I wouldn't get sucked back in.  At this point, we should all move on IMO.  There will be no new info that will change any outcomes.  If he cheated, it won't matter.  If someone claimed they stepped on his ball, it still won't matter really.  People will still have opinions for/against Reed, and those probably won't change over one event just because of the past.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Spider Tour X3

3 minutes ago, Golfrnut said:

Gotta admit...at this point it's Wed, three days later.  All that's happening is we are feeding the media machine by continuing to dwell on it and discuss, it's exactly what they want.  I think we've all said our opinions about 37 times already.  🙂  I turned the TV off GC yesterday when they were STILL bringing it up just so I wouldn't get sucked back in.  At this point, we should all move on IMO.  There will be no new info that will change any outcomes.  If he cheated, it won't matter.  If someone claimed they stepped on his ball, it still won't matter really.  People will still have opinions for/against Reed, and those probably won't change over one event just because of the past.

I think people, myself included, often like the trappings of golf and pro golf more than golf itself. We gotta have something new and fresh to keep ourselves interested because the day-to-day activities of golf can get boring.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

4 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

I think people, myself included, often like the trappings of golf and pro golf more than golf itself. We gotta have something new and fresh to keep ourselves interested because the day-to-day activities of golf can get boring.

Yeah, to each their own for sure.  Isn't there more news out there than THIS though?  It's almost like giving them a pass because now they can just fill up time rehashing it all over and over again.

Spider Tour X3

11 minutes ago, Golfrnut said:

Yeah, to each their own for sure.  Isn't there more news out there than THIS though?  It's almost like giving them a pass because now they can just fill up time rehashing it all over and over again.

Well we have the Saudi Open and the USGA getting closer to an equipment rollback

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

17 hours ago, Wildwing55 said:

Xander is a bit young, and needs to watch his mouth.  He, like other pros, does not need to put his foot in his mouth, when he was not there to witness whatever.

He absolutely has earned a right to speak his mind, he ain’t no first year rookie.  Multiple winner, FEDEX CUP champ, top 5 player in the world etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Holy Moses said:

NLU mentioned this possible scenario on their podcast. I was surprised it came to be. The marshal didn’t want to admit it early on or the PGA Tour has it out for Reed.

Back to Reed. Three options:

1. His ball embedded after it bounced like most people have come to think and he was entitled to free relief, or

2. His marshal stepped on his ball too and has yet to tell him, or

3. Reed manipulated his lie or the situation in general to get free relief like many who were criticizing him originally maintained

That's certainly convenient.  And laying next to Rory's ball was a pristine bullet.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

1 hour ago, Holy Moses said:

Well we have the Saudi Open and the USGA getting closer to an equipment rollback

Yeah, exactly.  The USGA thread is only 5 pages long right now, this one is 47.  Shouldn't we all be over there starting drama by now.  😄

• Haha 1

Spider Tour X3