2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Farmers Insurance Open 2021

MattyO1984

11 minutes ago, miamistomp said:

And had no problem presiding over a club that prided itself for years on"keeping the members white and the caddies black"

But yes Jones was a great player and called a penalty on himself ( also liked to throw clubs)

No one is without flaws

You can't judge people that lived in an entirely different culture than the hellscape we live in now. You'd have the same views as Jones if you had lived back then. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheIncelGolfer said:

You can't judge people that lived in an entirely different culture than the hellscape we live in now. You'd have the same views as Jones if you had lived back then. 

I think racism was always wrong and I live in the South ( not that other regions didn't have issues too)

Time doesn't change that

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2bGood said:

FYI- The spotter was Reed's wife - she had a busy day.

Funny, but was the course marshal. Her saying the ball didn't bounce were the facts at the time because players don't carry a TV around with them to see the instant replays. They have no way of verifying whether it bounced or not unless an official got a direct call from the TV booth. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

To clarify, my intent in sharing the excerpt about Bobby Jones was to praise a principle, not a person. Making any individual one’s “hero” inevitably leads to disappointment or, far worse, a personality cult. 
The principles we choose to exalt, however, and the stories we tell to illustrate them, are important.  Even though we inevitably fall short, they set the direction for our lives and the society we share. 
I believe the sportsmanship illustrated in the story about Bobby Jones is a far better aspiration than that expressed by quotes such as “if you’re not cheating you’re not trying” or “winning isn’t everything it’s the only thing.”  The Jones story illustrates what my parents taught me, and what I tried to teach my children.
For those who disagree, that’s your right. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tacklingdummy said:

Funny, but was the course marshal. Her saying the ball didn't bounce were the facts at the time 

In the video the course marshal said she didn't see the ball bounce. She didn't say the ball didn't bounce. While a bit nuanced the statements are not one in the same. Her saying she didn't see the ball bounce is quite clear in the video.

• Like 1

Honestly, he brought this on himself w/ all the history.  I don't hate P Reed.  I'm not here to call him a cheater... But, why is this constantly happening to this same guy year after year.  It's good for viewing but god it gets olllllld.

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

52 minutes ago, grm24 said:

In the video the course marshal said she didn't see the ball bounce. She didn't say the ball didn't bounce. While a bit nuanced the statements are not one in the same. Her saying she didn't see the ball bounce is quite clear in the video.

From the video, this is exactly what was said.  Reed "Did it bounce?" Marshall "No, I didn't see it bounce."

She immediately said "No" to the question and didn't answer the question with  "I don't know" or "I didn't see what happened" or "I didn't see it".  The immediate "No" was very clear in the video. 

• Like 1

I think the debate on whether or not it was embedded has been covered.......

One aspect of this that hasn't been covered is the fact he might have cleaned his ball prior to the ruling.  If you watch the video he has the ball in his palm for some time and then after he places it down, cleans his hand on the towel.  I'm not saying he did anything wrong but it looked suspicious and I believe your only allowed to clean your ball if it's been ruled embedded which although it was deemed to be, the ball was potentially cleaned BEFORE the ruling.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

2 minutes ago, KrazyTrain18 said:

One aspect of this that hasn't been covered is the fact he might have cleaned his ball prior to the ruling.  If you watch the video he has the ball in his palm for some time and then after he places it down, cleans his hand on the towel.  I'm not saying he did anything wrong but it looked suspicious and I believe your only allowed to clean your ball if it's been ruled embedded which although it was deemed to be, the ball was potentially cleaned BEFORE the ruling.  

Patrick Reed stated that he handed the ball to his caddy and was careful not to clean it in case he had to replace it in the original position. He told his caddy not to clean it.

$$$$

Just now, ALIF said:

Patrick Reed stated that he handed the ball to his caddy and was careful not to clean it in case he had to replace it in the original position. He told his caddy not to clean it.

Ok but the video shows a different story, it's in his palm for over 10 seconds and then placed on the ground.  After placing it on the ground he wiped his hand on the towel which could infer that mud came off the ball.  Not saying he did but that it looked suspicious.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

33 minutes ago, tacklingdummy said:

The immediate "No" was very clear in the video. 

Which is what I posted earlier. What's the issue?

Some people here and many in the media have claimed she explicitly said the ball didn't bounce which is very different from her saying she didn't see it bounce which is what she actually said. Fact. 

But there appears to be breaking news. Seems that in the third round Rory Sabbatini had an embedded ball on the 15th hole while being grouped with Rory McIlroy. Appears that Rory S. handled it the same way as Rory M. did. Where are scandal mongers about this? Why no pitchforks out for Sabbs? 

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/01/31/pga-tour-rory-mcilroy-embedded-ball-patrick-reed/

“The three guys were searching for the ball as I got there. So I basically did the same thing that Patrick did. I said, ‘Well, I’m going to just check if it’s embedded.’ I just saw the video of it, because none of them saw it bounce, so I checked if it was embedded and it was in its pitch mark. I took the ball out and there was a lump of mud on it and it had broken the surface. I said to Rory Sabbatini, ‘Look, this ball’s embedded, and he said no problem at all. He had one on 15 that he had an embedded. I took relief and proceeded on.

Capture.PNG.9458b742b741ca2b618ffb88e9e7d051.PNG

Edited by grm24
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grm24 said:

5 minutes ago, grm24 said:

Which is what I posted earlier. What's the issue?

Not really. You said earlier that it was plausible that from what she said that the ball could have bounced. She clearly said "No" to the question, "Did it bounce?". 😉 

• Confused 2

I thought cheat's never prosper ?

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

24 minutes ago, tacklingdummy said:

Not really. You said earlier that it was plausible that from what she said that the ball could have bounced. She clearly said "No" to the question, "Did it bounce?". 😉 

Did you actually pay attention to what I posted? Appears not. Here's a quick reminder. Pay attention to this first and last sentences.

Capture.PNG.8a5c04474285a8a905b9f3961e75315a.PNG

Guessing you do not understand what nuance means. I flatly stated in my post the marshal did not see the ball bounce.  Twice.  Nowhere did I say the marshal said the ball could have bounced. Show me where I said that. 

Edited by grm24
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KrazyTrain18 said:

100% agree with you. I saw this too, but didn't want to start another storm. This (in my opinion) is the main reason he picked up his ball before the Marshall. If I pick up my ball in a tournament, I hold it by the fingers to avoid questions. PR just seemed to palm it / caress it for a bit too long. 

Interested did glad to hear that some of his fellow pro’s are not being shy with their comments.

Xander Schaffuele - “Obviously, the talk amongst the boys isn't great but he's protected by the Tour and that's all that matters, I guess.”

Lanto Griffin - “So it's tough to see. It's sad, kind of pisses us off, but it's the way it is. Hopefully something changes“

The part about being protected by the Tour is, to me, particularly interesting.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

2 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

Interested did glad to hear that some of his fellow pro’s are not being shy with their comments.

Xander Schaffuele - “Obviously, the talk amongst the boys isn't great but he's protected by the Tour and that's all that matters, I guess.”

Lanto Griffin - “So it's tough to see. It's sad, kind of pisses us off, but it's the way it is. Hopefully something changes“

The part about being protected by the Tour is, to me, particularly interesting.

All good for Rory though.. lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tacklingdummy said:

From the video, this is exactly what was said.  Reed "Did it bounce?" Marshall "No, I didn't see it bounce."

She immediately said "No" to the question and didn't answer the question with  "I don't know" or "I didn't see what happened" or "I didn't see it".  The immediate "No" was very clear in the video. 

But did she not see it bounce because she didn’t see the shot at all or because she saw it and she thought it went straight into the ground?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

7 minutes ago, sevenputts said:

All good for Rory though.. lol

Ha, Rory was just as bad in my opinion. That said, previous has to come into it. Rory has been generally speaking above reproach. PR...not so much.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

19 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

Ha, Rory was just as bad in my opinion. That said, previous has to come into it. Rory has been generally speaking above reproach. PR...not so much.

Agreed... but there in lies the problem we are going off of reputation and not the rules. The PGA tour players sound like high school in there perception of the situation. 

• Like 1

I am not so sure that I agree. My view is that both McIlory and Reed were in the wrong. I am prepared to give Rory a pass on this occasion because he has not given us reason to doubt him before now. Reed on the other hand, has given us more reasons than he has had hot dinners.

Look at it this way - guy walks into a shop, tries on a hat, forgets about it and walks out. Unlikely but is happens. If the guy hadn’t done anything like that before, it could be chalked up as a mistake. On the other hand, if he had done that multiple times in the past, the changes of it being a mistake would be less.

• Like 1

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

3 hours ago, grm24 said:

Did you actually pay attention to what I posted? Appears not. Here's a quick reminder. Pay attention to this first and last sentences.

Capture.PNG.8a5c04474285a8a905b9f3961e75315a.PNG

Guessing you do not understand what nuance means. I flatly stated in my post the marshal did not see the ball bounce.  Twice.  Nowhere did I say the marshal said the ball could have bounced. Show me where I said that. 

This is pure comedy to be debating this, but for fun lets debate it. 😂🤣

You wrote: "She didn't say the ball didn't bounce. While a bit nuanced the statements are not one in the same. Her saying she didn't see the ball bounce is quite clear in the video.

The way your statement reads and implies is: That she may of "not seen" the ball land and therefore not seen it bounce when it actually could have bounced.  However, I disagree. I think her statement absolutely claimed that she saw the ball land and that it did not bounce.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holy Moses said:

But did she not see it bounce because she didn’t see the shot at all or because she saw it and she thought it went straight into the ground?

To me, her statement absolutely claimed that she saw it land and that it did not bounce. Apparently that is just me though. 😂🤣

• Like 2