2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Farmers Insurance Open 2021

MattyO1984

I find it interesting that when Rory was told the rule is within one club length he doesn’t even bother with pulling a club to measure but just puts down a tee at the original spot and drops a foot or two away. Nothing wrong with that, but glad P. Reed didn’t do THAT or we’d have another 20 pages of noise here.  

Very mixed results for the new CBS golf producer, Sellers Shy, and the broadcast. The new theme music is utterly forgettable and a disappointment, but they had some good camera work and different types of views to show. But the pre-broadcast production meeting that resulted with the 4-way split screen at the beginning of the broadcast was embarrassing. I remember reading or hearing that tour pros are the last people you want to ask about the rules because most of them only know a few and not very well for even those. That opening sequence illustrated that because all four of them were at odds with how the current rule is designed to work, as stated by Tackett during his piece. It may have been different back 20 years ago when these folks played but they seemed fixated on the way it used to be. The result was they threw more mud at Reed than was on a box of embedded balls for all the wrong reasons. 

The cherry on top of that Sunday sundae was when Nobilo came across like a buffoon when he again got the rule wrong when discussing Reed’s ball moving on the 16th green and had to be corrected by Tackett, followed by the solemnities by Nantz after Reed’s birdie on 18 - surprisingly so, as Nantz usually is not one to inject commentary into his play by play. Nantz seemed “off” all weekend, perhaps due to him not being on-site with the rest of the crew, but whatever the reason, it wasn’t a good look.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

Great thread.  I think the rule needs an overhaul...too much room for someone to take advantage.  A professional player, IMO, should never be able to just pick their ball up and move it w/o another opinion. (exception would be to retrieve in a hazard)  Alert playing partner, have them CONFIRM and THEN do the deal.  Patrick Reed took advantage of that rule bc he could.  It just looked so bad with him palming the ball and digging around with his fingers. lol  

Maybe the PGA needs to spend a few of their mega millions on a few more rules officials.  They seem to enjoy cozying up to the bar with sherry and expensive cigars plus their other perks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BaltimoreLefty said:

At this point I feel like you are being obstinate on purpose. 

Reed is certainly welcome to keep 'playing the rules' like this, as long as he doesn't care about his reputation in any way. Due to his proven history of cheating, he literally needs to go out of his way to make sure he avoids controversies to rehabilitate his image.

The headline should have been about his amazing short game this week, but it isn't... and the blame doesn't rest solely with 'the media'. 

You can't blame the media, when their possible headlines are:

Controversial player does controversial thing

or 

Professional athlete plays their chosen sport to their ability

Rules are just that...rules.

Everything else is above the line, a lack if it does not mean it goes below the line.  That would include calling over an official, which is nothing but ignored in this case unless it’s spun to insinuate it’s just part of the cover-up. 

• Like 2

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

10 minutes ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

Great thread.  I think the rule needs an overhaul...too much room for someone to take advantage.  A professional player, IMO, should never be able to just pick their ball up and move it w/o another opinion. (exception would be to retrieve in a hazard)  Alert playing partner, have them CONFIRM and THEN do the deal.  Patrick Reed took advantage of that rule bc he could.  It just looked so bad with him palming the ball and digging around with his fingers. lol  

That rule was just changed to be less stringent 2 years ago.  People have been complaining for years to reduce the rules...and now you want them back?

Rules are made to the advantageous to the golfer In most cases, so I would agree with you.  Knowing the rules can often times be in your benefit. 

• Like 1

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)

Spider Tour X3

6 minutes ago, Greg_B said:

I find it interesting that when Rory was told the rule is within one club length he doesn’t even bother with pulling a club to measure but just puts down a tee at the original spot and drops a foot or two away. Nothing wrong with that, but glad P. Reed didn’t do THAT or we’d have another 20 pages of noise here.  

Very mixed results for the new CBS golf producer, Sellers Shy, and the broadcast. The new theme music is utterly forgettable and a disappointment, but they had some good camera work and different types of views to show. But the pre-broadcast production meeting that resulted with the 4-way split screen at the beginning of the broadcast was embarrassing. I remember reading or hearing that tour pros are the last people you want to ask about the rules because most of them only know a few and not very well for even those. That opening sequence illustrated that because all four of them were at odds with how the current rule is designed to work, as stated by Tackett during his piece. It may have been different back 20 years ago when these folks played but they seemed fixated on the way it used to be. The result was they threw more mud at Reed than was on a box of embedded balls for all the wrong reasons. 

The cherry on top of that Sunday sundae was when Nobilo came across like a buffoon when he again got the rule wrong when discussing Reed’s ball moving on the 16th green and had to be corrected by Tackett, followed by the solemnities by Nantz after Reed’s birdie on 18 - surprisingly so, as Nantz usually is not one to inject commentary into his play by play. Nantz seemed “off” all weekend, perhaps due to him not being on-site with the rest of the crew, but whatever the reason, it wasn’t a good look.

I hear you on the negatives. I don’t think they will happen again. But I think we saw a lot more golf than under Barrow. The Konika Minolta Swing Hub waste is gone. I’m more hopeful about CBS moving forward. Shy took too much time right off the bat today with the Reed analysis, but overall I liked the broadcast. 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

15 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Does it hurt to go above and beyond just once, especially if you are certain you will be exonerated? 

But not doing it makes you a cheater?  Well, unless your Rory?  Just so we’re all clear...

• Like 2

Spider Tour X3

22 minutes ago, t4t3r said:

I’m sorry but that’s a stretch. The only thing that matters is why he concluded that it was embedded. That is not an outlandish question. We all know that he followed the rule but why not be transparent by explaining how the ball was embedded?

Im going to poke the bear one more time by saying that some folks here just adamantly refuse to accept any element of opinion that doesn’t match up with their own. THAT is why people get frustrated by posting in this thread. 

He has to know what people think of him. Why try to explain your side of the story when you majority of the people won’t accept it. It becomes easier to simply quote the very black and white part, the rules. Just a thought. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Golfrnut said:

But not doing it makes you a cheater?  Well, unless your Rory?  Just so we’re all clear...

I said Rory should have, but as I’ve said before there were differences. Reed asked if the ball bounced even before he looked at it and he took a lot more time with his hand on the ball.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

5 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

He has to know what people think of him. Why try to explain your side of the story when you majority of the people won’t accept it. It becomes easier to simply quote the very black and white part, the rules. Just a thought. 

Then that justifies peoples opinion of him, no? He hasn’t exactly been completely transparent in the situations he’s been involved in and this one doesn’t seem all that different. 

1 hour ago, Yuck said:

Just think if Tony could close like Patrick.

Just think if Tony had PR short game 🤑🚀

• Like 2

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

Just now, t4t3r said:

Then that justifies peoples opinion of him, no? He hasn’t exactly been completely transparent in the situations he’s been involved in and this one doesn’t seem all that different. 

I don’t think that justifies anyone’s opinion of him.  I think that is a completely different discussion. I think it’s more of a case of him realizing that there is no way he is “winning” that interview. Her questions appeared to me to be very “leading”. We know CBS is feeding her the questions, and we know how CBS felt about the situation. Any interview was a no win situation for him. If he had tried to explain, do you believe most people would have accepted his explanation?

Honestly, I wouldn’t have blamed him if he had told CBS to piss off and not even give them an interview. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IH82BOGEY said:

Total emotionally compromised clown show on CBS and GC.  They sound like they want to execute PR at sunrise.  Nance and Faldo to provide the blindfold and cigs but Brandel calls dibs on pulling the switch himself.

Correct.  The whole crew of CBS and Golf Channel jumped into a swimming pool that didn't have water.  Dottie was probably the worst, but Frank and Faldo were not far behind.  Both Reed and McIlroy followed the rules.

Edited by Wildwing55
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

I don’t think that justifies anyone’s opinion of him.  I think that is a completely different discussion. I think it’s more of a case of him realizing that there is no way he is “winning” that interview. Her questions appeared to me to be very “leading”. We know CBS is feeding her the questions, and we know how CBS felt about the situation. Any interview was a no win situation for him. If he had tried to explain, do you believe most people would have accepted his explanation?

Honestly, I wouldn’t have blamed him if he had told CBS to piss off and not even give them an interview. 

I don’t think you can claim anyone makes him out to be the villain except himself. That’s also making him the victim in a situation that he’s created on his own and continues to do so. A little transparency would go a long way. He was also given a huge gift with Rory on 18 without even knowing it at the time, and that would’ve been a huge assist to him with, again, a little transparency about why his situation was either the same or similar and how he concluded his ball was embedded. Instead people are left to wonder which brings his history into play and he doesn’t do anything to help himself.

Edited by t4t3r

28 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Not really. The rules are the rules. Just because people choose to ignore that fact and accuse him anyway doesn’t mean he needs to curtsy and limit his own performance to erase any doubt in the so called experts minds.  Not at all. To thine own self be true. The masses have made their minds up. A ritual suicide on the porch of butler cabin wouldn’t change the idiots minds now.  So ______em and Feed em beans. Let the. Think what their smalll minds will.  

The problem is that he has always had the mindset of "____ em and Feed em beans", so not sure you can phrase this as a new mindset. 

Ultimately it is probably a net positive for the sport to have a universally hated player vying for titles. It seems to work okay for college basketball. 

4 minutes ago, t4t3r said:

I don’t think you can claim anyone makes him out to be the villain except himself. That’s also making him the victim in a situation that he’s created on his own and continues to do so. A little transparency would go a long way. He was also given a huge gift with Rory on 18 without even knowing it at the time, and that would’ve been a huge assist to him with, again, a little transparency about why his situation was either the same or similar and how he concluded his ball was embedded. Instead people are left to wonder which brings his history into play and he doesn’t do anything to help himself.

At the same time, everyone is always just looking for a way to create drama to the extent of creating an extra narrative. Look at the media right now as an example of that. And yes, I hold the media primarily responsible for it too. 

Look back ten years when we had that BS over Tiger and the ‘dimple’ movement that needed HD tv with zoom to pick up. The stories of people calling during/after tournaments trying to police the game from their couch. They literally had to go as far as to make rules against that nonsense because it go so out of hand. 

Now it just gets to the point where things get so bent/twisted/distorted to create some sort of drama For ratings it’s nauseating. 

• Like 4

Spider Tour X3

9 minutes ago, PZero said:

PR should have said he was putting all his winning into Gamestop (GME) stock and he would have become an instant legend.

Dude.  What if P Reed said, before the start of the final round, “I got $2m on GME.  DIAMOND HANDS!!”  

He’d be my hero forever and for always 

• Like 4

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

50 minutes ago, Greg_B said:

Nantz did seem on the verge of crying all weekend 😆 i noticed that too. I'm just glad that this incident happened because more and more people are finding out just how duplicitous the media really is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1