How could anyone be a fan of Patrick Reed?

JermWRX

2 hours ago, bigred90gt said:

Here’s the thing - it’s not about being “plugged”, it’s about being “embedded”. Embedded is defined, by the rules of golf, as any part of the ball being below the surface. Not plugged. Give me a rain storm at my poorly draining local course, and I can drop 5 balls in the rough from 1-2 feet and I can almost guarantee you at least 3-4 of them, if not all of them, would have broken the surface. None of them would be plugged, but that’s not the requirement. 

I don’t need a lesson is semantics. When I say plugged, I’m talking about being in its own pitch mark of any depth. And no, a golf ball dropped from knee height is not breaking the surface unless you’re in a bunker. This is a ridiculous argument! It didn’t happen!

• Haha 1

Just now, miamistomp said:

Ken Venturi maintained that Arnold Palmer cheated him out of the 58 Masters...

But..but... Arnie has the most pristine reputation in the history of golf.  Gasp. 

• Haha 2

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

3 hours ago, Golfrnut said:

No, that's not it..and you are welcome to go have a look in the rules forum in the thread that's going on in there so you can understand it better.

I don’t need to understand the rules any better to know that Reed took advantage of them in his same shady way he does everything. 
I have however come to understand the nature of anyone who argues for Patrick Reed......lol 

1 minute ago, jadedennill said:

I don’t need to understand the rules any better to know that Reed took advantage of them in the same shady way all pros do
I have however come to understand the nature of anyone who argues for Patrick Reed......lol 

Fixed it for you.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

2 minutes ago, jadedennill said:

Not even close! Patrick reed might not be the only one out there like him, but there aren’t more than a few. 

Every pro on tour takes all the liberty they can with the rules. Not my opinion, it's fact. Kind of like the 1000 pound impediment Tiger had moved for him.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

12 hours ago, TheInfidel said:

Casual obervers on WRX would have to ask themselves why the 10th ranked player in the world can't get a club or apparrel deal?  Literally persona non grata on ALL tour trucks. 

Is it becasue he's a really misunderstood guy, or is it because multinational companies use marketing agencies to investigate brand value and realise that someone who acts like Reed does, conducts himself like Reed does and continually breaks or flirts with the rules of golf is bad for their image?  That's not to mention the toxic family set up in the backround, having his family ejected from tournaments, and running burner socials where he criticises other players, the USA Ryder Cup Team, and the policy for fans at majors. 

Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade, and create a degree of seperation between the theory that winners are nice respectable guys, sometimes they're not.  As it stands I'm not sure Reed would pass the interview at several private clubs I know of and attend. 

Looks to me like he has a club deal... 

"grindworks – Japanese golf clubs premium forged components" http://www.grindworks.jp

He is also sponsored by Hublot... 

"Golf | Partnerships | Hublot" https://www.hublot.com/en-us/partnerships/golf

Just now, Feelingofgreatness said:

"grindworks – Japanese golf clubs premium forged components" http://www.grindworks.jp

Wonder if he's wearing the Titleist hat for free?

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

3 hours ago, bigred90gt said:

Here’s the thing - it’s not about being “plugged”, it’s about being “embedded”. Embedded is defined, by the rules of golf, as any part of the ball being below the surface. Not plugged. Give me a rain storm at my poorly draining local course, and I can drop 5 balls in the rough from 1-2 feet and I can almost guarantee you at least 3-4 of them, if not all of them, would have broken the surface. None of them would be plugged, but that’s not the requirement. 

I can see the Podcast now: Patrick Reed: Unplugged. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that I am willing to give PR another chance to mend his ways. However I have also concluded I detest the media more than I will ever detest PR even if he is caught cheating.  

You’re right, the media is terrible when it comes to Reed. They pussyfoot around saying it how it really is. They should take the filters off for a day and have all the players and commentators say what they really think. Then we’d get an honest insight into his “ways”. 

6 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

Every pro on tour takes all the liberty they can with the rules. Not my opinion, it's fact. Kind of like the 1000 pound impediment Tiger had moved for him.

Of course they do, but they don’t do it dishonestly in the way he did. They’re not rushing to action so that nobody else can see what’s actually going on. If they can use a contrived stance on a drain to get relief from a tree even though they might not normally stand that wide or narrow etc. Then they absolutely will. But that’s in no way what happened here

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jadedennill said:

Of course they do, but they don’t do it dishonestly in the way he did. They’re not rushing to action so that nobody else can see what’s actually going on. If they can use a contrived stance on a drain to get relief from a tree even though they might not normally stand that wide or narrow etc. Then they absolutely will. But that’s in no way what happened here

The ONLY thing he did that was dumb(but not against the rules) was not put the ball back where it was right away. Every player is allowed to mark the spot where they think the ball might be embedded and lift it to see if it is. If you don't understand that, then I can't help you. If the rules official thought he broke the rules he would been penalized. End of story.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

41 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that I am willing to give PR another chance to mend his ways. However I have also concluded I detest the media more than I will ever detest PR even if he is caught cheating.  

Absolutely!!!! Screw “Sir Nick” and the whole CBS crew including Jimmy Nance who I can’t stand.

• Like 2

If I was Jay Monahan I'd have a private conversation with Reed.  I'd tell him the next time anything like this happened that he was going to get fined $500,000 and suspended from the tour for 3 months, and the time after that it'd be a lifetime suspension.

And for those of you who are defending Reed saying "all he did was follow the rules guy's advice" realize this, the cheat was him picking up his ball KNOWING it was not embedded BEFORE a rules official was called.  He just wanted to drop his ball out of a bad lie and pretended it was embedded to do it.

He's everything golf stands against.  

Edited by RhytmEarl
  • Like 1

Sergio "fried chicken" Garcia is a heel, Bryson "fire ants" DeShamoo is a heel. Heels are actually good for the game, they give people a reason to watch, even if you hate them. One of the most memorable experiences I have watching golf was when Submergio found water twice on 17 and then again on 18 at The Players to choke yet again against TW. I don't even remember how TW played down the stretch, just that Sergio blew it once again in triumphant fashion.

The problem with Reed is that he's not a heel, he's a cheater. The only sport that can survive cheaters is WWE.

3 minutes ago, RhytmEarl said:

If I was Jay Monahan I'd have a private conversation with Reed.  I'd tell him the next time anything like this happened that he was going to get fined $500,000 and suspended from

the tour for 3 months, and the time after that it'd be a lifetime suspension.

And for those of you who are defending Reed saying "all he did was follow the rules guy's advice" realize this, the cheat was him picking up his ball KNOWING it was not embedded BEFORE a rules official was called.  He just wanted to drop his ball out of a bad lie and pretended it was in a plugged lie to do it.

You are not

He won't

Golf is a game and the PGA is a business

He was the best PLAYER in that particular event

Palmer arguably cheated his way to Masters victory in 1958- but as with Reed - the ruling was in his favor

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RhytmEarl said:

If I was Jay Monahan I'd have a private conversation with Reed.  I'd tell him the next time anything like this happened that he was going to get fined $500,000 and suspended from the tour for 3 months, and the time after that it'd be a lifetime suspension.

And for those of you who are defending Reed saying "all he did was follow the rules guy's advice" realize this, the cheat was him picking up his ball KNOWING it was not embedded BEFORE a rules official was called.  He just wanted to drop his ball out of a bad lie and pretended it was embedded to do it.

The next time "anything like this happens" would be a situation where he breaks no rule of golf and proceeds appropriately.

So that seems like kind of a misguided caution for the Commish to be issuing.  

The rest, all hashed over plenty and Brad Fabel ruled it was embedded, so . . . move along. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Easy way to solve this problem. PGA Tour just mandates that a player may not move a ball in play without a rules official or designated representative present. Remove the subjectivity of the situation and just let the rules official make the call. Two stroke penalty if they remove it before they get there. I understand that people believe golf is supposed to be a game of honor, but sports have refs for a reason. No matter how honest you try to be, others can have a differing one when the call is subjective.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Feelingofgreatness said:

G/fore came out and said they were absolutely NOT paying him to wear their apparel. Pretty funny that they needed people to know they don’t support him.

19 minutes ago, RhytmEarl said:

You know for a fact he knew it wasn't embedded? That's amazing!

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

1 hour ago, Feelingofgreatness said:

Just now, jadedennill said:

G/fore came out and said they were absolutely NOT paying him to wear their apparel. Pretty funny that they needed people to know they don’t support him.

Older article - but it talks about his sponsorship deals

https://www.thestar.com/sports/golf/2018/04/13/masters-champ-patrick-reed-doesnt-believe-in-one-company-sponsoring-a-golfer-and-it-could-be-costing-him-millions.html

Basically says it is his choice to leave money on the table and not sign with a big sponsor as he wants more freedom particularly in the clubs he plays.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

The next time "anything like this happens" would be a situation where he breaks no rule of golf and proceeds appropriately.

So that seems like kind of a misguided caution for the Commish to be issuing.  

The rest, all hashed over plenty and Brad Fabel ruled it was embedded, so . . . move along. 

Brad Fabel never saw the original lie.  How could he possibly make a ruling on it if he never saw he?  Fabel had to take Reed's lie at face value and make his ruling based on that lie.  

This is SO simple I don't get why so many of you golfers can't understand it.  Reed picked up his ball knowing it wasn't embedded. That's the rules infraction.  He knew if he showed a rules official the original lie he woudn't have gotten relief.  

It's Reed that needs to move along.  He should be a driving range pro hustling games for $20.  

• Like 1