2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

How could anyone be a fan of Patrick Reed?

JermWRX

Just now, ReidThompson said:

I think he knew his lied sucked, marked it, pressed down the dirt while "checking" to if there was a plug mark and did swiftly with a new rules guys that didnt ask for film.  Did he ever mark before lifting ball? Its a plausible scenario because we all know he is a cheater (Bahamas, announcers saying lies magically got way better, etc. 

Well here's the thing, if you watch the video, you would have your answers. 🙂

• Like 2

Titleist....

1 minute ago, jadedennill said:

A) Of course you know the ball wasn’t embedded! You wouldn’t even need to have ever played golf to know a ball can’t plug from 2’ in the air! Come on buddy! 
B) Rory’s situation is not in question here. He hasn’t blatantly cheated multiple times and lied about it. If Rory says it was plugged, it was plugged. If Reed says his was plugged, he’s lying and cheating! Haha

A) absolutely not true at all. Living in Vancouver, I can promise you this first hand. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Sean2 said:

Current Golf Channel headline on their website:

'Kind of pisses us off': Players react to Patrick Reed's controversial win

Reading that, one would think that the vast majority of players agree with this sentiment, when that isn't the case at all...it's only a couple of players. Irresponsible of GC. 

Did you expect anything different?  It's accepted behavior now...  

• Like 1

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

15 hours ago, JermWRX said:

And how did all of the analysts react to it? Faldo, Nobilo, Baker-Finch, Dottie. All consummate pros. They all said pulling the ball out, moving it and messing around with the plug is not right. I don’t know. Guess I just think the dudes shady

Consummate pro might be a stretch...Dottie Pepper once openly cheered (we all cheer inwardly) a player missing a putt. I’m sure there’s more things like that for the other players you’ve listed. 

Pertaining only to the OP's question. Some people like to root for the bad guymocking razor ramon GIF by WWE

• Haha 1

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

The problem with Reed is that he has a history of lying and cheating that dates all the way back to junior golf. We don't focus on Rory's incident because it happened once. Patrick Reed somehow manages to get himself into these situations over and over and over again, and it's not just because he happens to be the most unlucky person on planet earth....

Edited by Abh159
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

Everyone DID NOT see his ball pop a foot in the air.  The tournament forecaddie told him it DID NOT, it was the first thing PR asked when he walked up to his ball.  They don't have immediate access to instant replay for every shot on the course.  If they did it would take forever to finish a damn round.  It would be worse than college basketball, which they have ruined with replay.  

We don't know how wet the ground was there, if it was a really wet spot then a ball dropped 1 foot could make an indention in the ground.  All the ball has to do is break the ground and make an indention, even if very small.  It doesn't have to plug.  

There were balls landing in the rough all day, we know PR and Rory had similar incidents, just because they replayed them on the broadcast, there were probably 50 other occurrences that day throughout the round.  If the forecaddie had answered the question "I don't know if it bounced, or it did bounce" then this discussion would have a totally different direction.  PR went with the info he was given.  

You know who "dirtbags" are? They are people who make up stories about other people and spread rumors and hate in the internet because they just don't like that person, even though they have never met them, or spent time with them.  You have basically slandered the official and Reed while not even mentioning Rory.  

PR has done some questionable things in the past, but if I was him I would sue Faldo for slander.  Faldo is the dirtbag here.  Chamblee is right there with him. This is all about stirring up controversy to clicks and ratings.  

Social media is the root of all evil.   

When you say questionable, do you mean filmed intentional cheating in the Bahamas and the Barclays and the "4-5 times" per Peter Kostis? 

Edited by ReidThompson

11 minutes ago, jadedennill said:

A) Of course you know the ball wasn’t embedded! You wouldn’t even need to have ever played golf to know a ball can’t plug from 2’ in the air! Come on buddy! 
B) Rory’s situation is not in question here. He hasn’t blatantly cheated multiple times and lied about it. If Rory says it was plugged, it was plugged. If Reed says his was plugged, he’s lying and cheating! Haha

A)  Wrong, just wrong, wet muddy ground can easily indent from that distance.  We don't know how soft the ground is, but you are just wrong here.

B)  So we are going to apply different rules for Rory than another player?  That makes zero sense.  zero.  The rules should be applied equally to everyone.  

• Like 3

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

".......Like Reed, McIlroy had not seen his ball land, but upon looking at his lie, he questioned whether he was entitled to relief. McIlroy picked up his ball without calling in a rules official and decided on his own that the ball was embedded (which is allowed under the rules)."

Now lets all hush and go eat our cereal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

18 minutes ago, bigred90gt said:

There is literally nothing to "give him a pass" for. What he did was within the rules. You "give a pass" to someone who has done something that is contrary to the rules. when you are within the rules, there are no passes to give. Is it really that hard for some people to understand?

He lifted the ball before he called the official, so I'm kind of confused by the statement of "lifting the ball before an official could get there". If he had not lifted the ball, there would have been no reason to call the official. It HAD to happen first.

If he had any doubt as to whether or not the ball was embedded, he should have called for an official BEFORE he felt compelled to touch it. And I don't believe what he did was within the rules, no matter how much you care to pontificate to me about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Olddoncarlo said:

If he had any doubt as to whether or not the ball was embedded, he should have called for an official BEFORE he felt compelled to touch it. And I don't believe what he did was within the rules, no matter how much you care to pontificate to me about it.

He wasn't compelled to touch it.   

image.png.d2d4e08eb05ad59f3090ffb379e513a0.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Olddoncarlo said:

EXACTLY....so why touch it???????

Because he had probable cause to believe it was embedded...not understanding what's so hard about that.

• Like 3

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

3 minutes ago, Olddoncarlo said:

The procedure is literally to mark your ball, lift it and check and see if it is embedded. What did he do that was not within the rules, since you believe it wasn't?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tiderider said:

while this is true, i am quite certain reed also follows the adage "the bigger the lie, the more that believe it" ... going to those lengths works as cover for his forthcoming lie, ala Sharon Stone ... 

tenor.gif?itemid=18009372

ya'll were expecting a different gif?

Let's just say a different angle!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JermWRX said:

And how did all of the analysts react to it? Faldo, Nobilo, Baker-Finch, Dottie. All consummate pros. They all said pulling the ball out, moving it and messing around with the plug is not right. I don’t know. Guess I just think the dudes shady

They were all wrong though. Thats why we have rules officials. Nobilo was corrected on air by the official. Making Frank look like the a** that he is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, golfday said:

I don't get why neither of these guys threw up a hand and says to someone in their group "Hey, I'm plugged and going to take a drop. Do you want to take a look first?". And this goes for anything, you should do that if you're on a drain, cart path, etc.

Nearly 100% of the time the other person will say go ahead and drop, the fact that you offered gives everyone good piece of mind. When you just pick your ball up without saying anything is when things look suspicious. 

That's common courtesy in competitive golf IMO. Even going back to a junior event, if you looked over and say someone taking a drop in the rough without them saying something you would think wtf. 

With Reid, he's not well liked and has been caught cheating before. So when he does something suspicious people jump all over it. His ball may have been plugged, but we'll never know. Seeing a ball bounce does not mean for certain that it did, or didn't plug; that's not solid evidence in either direction. If he had just offered to let someone else take a look he could have avoided this entirely. Instead it was in his pocket before anyone knew what was going on.

With McIlroy, he's well respected, liked and to my knowledge hasn't been on the wrong end of a rules controversy. People generally trust that his ball was plugged. However, if he wants to avoid this in the future it would be pretty easy.

I agree with you on this one.  Back when I played college golf at Cal State Northridge,  I would never touch my ball and would always ask for a ruling.  I'm not above reproach and have done things in the past that I'm not proud of, but this is golf played at the highest level.  Cheating the first time, ok, you can give the guy a pass.  I always believe in second chances.  Now, getting caught cheating multiple times, that's tough.  

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

15 hours ago, Golfnuck said:

I don't particularly care for the guy.

But he takes every advantage to win.  Maybe gets a bit over the edge but so what.

I'm sure you all watch or have played American Football.  I bet there is at least one foul committed on every play.

I'm Canadian and I played hockey.  We all know how to hook or interfere to gain an edge.

The trick is not to get caught.

So why not for golf too.

What I do admire about him is 1) his ability to cheat just enough to not get caught or 2) if he does get caught (sand incident) he doesn't give a crap.   He is by far the most professional cheater in golf today and you have to admire him for that.

I am sick of everyone that seems to think golfers are so angelic and how honorable the game is ..... I don't believe it for a moment.

Joe Montana: If you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying,

I think cheating on a faceoff is a bit different than cheating in the ultimate gentleman's game. That said it was determined he did not cheat, nor did Rory. I don't like that rule but he did not break a rule regardless of the optics

2 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I agree with you on this one.  Back when I played college golf at Cal State Northridge,  I would never touch my ball and would always ask for a ruling.  I'm not above reproach and have done things in the past that I'm not proud of, but this is golf played at the highest level.  Cheating the first time, ok, you can give the guy a pass.  I always believe in second chances.  Now, getting caught cheating multiple times, that's tough.  

There are many times in the game it is within the rules to move your ball. It is not unusual nor nefarious. If you call for a rules official every time you either need to know the rules better and/or like being on the clock. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigred90gt said:

If you watch the video, as soon as Reed got to his ball and looked down at it, the first thing out of his mouth was to his playing competitors that he was going to lift the ball and check it. They could have asked him to wait till they got there, but they didn't. Truth be told, he wasn't even required to do that. People are really fishing here.

Before he even got to the ball he asked the marshall (who was pulling the flag back out of the ground) if the ball had bounced. She said no. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Draw Driver said:

Incoming humble brag: I was at the 2018 Masters. Were there cheers on the broadcast? Sure, but there were plenty of unfavourable comments in the crowd, prior to some of these incidents, based on his then reputation. 

I’m indifferent to Reed. But he wins. He’s a proven winner. Do I think he has broken the rules? Yes, I think he has. Maybe not this time. 

It doesn’t appear the PGA Tour has any issue with what happened on Saturday. Maybe that’s the bigger question here.  Maybe the rule needs to be more black and white to avoid this issue.

Guys who don’t win (Random):

Fowler 

Kuchar 

Finau 

CHIII

Patrick Rodgers 

Ask any of them if they wish they had Reed’s wins with the accompanying reputation. 

If this keeps up he’s going to be Hall of Famer. No family tickets for the ceremony necessary. 

Fowler absolutely not -his endorsements are tied to his rep as the clean, safe, boy next door

Edited by 2ball