How could anyone be a fan of Patrick Reed?

JermWRX

16 minutes ago, ebrasmus21 said:

The Farmers Insurance thread has over 1,400 comments which is overwhelmingly because of Pat.  

Face it, golf needs him.  

Ha, his being top of the leaderboard last night was brilliant for me. It meant that I got a relatively early night last night not wanting or wishing to sit up and watch PReed win anything. I guess I should be thanking Patrick.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

It may be the only issue getting eyes on the Golf Channel this week from Monday - whenever the first Euro coverage starts.

Patrick has now surpassed Tiger as the number one needle mover in the game of golf.  Crazy world we live in.  Lego Screaming GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

If nothing else CBS was trying to stir the pot by going against what the PGA tour officials confirmed and already informed the players, just so they can spark conversation for their boring "Word not allowed" golf coverage.

If the Pgatour has no issue with what the players did, and they did even state in more than one fashion that they do not, then end of conversation!!!

Nothing to see here, move along.  These are not the droids you are looking for.

Edited by tekman

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 set to 9.5 with Graphite Design VR 6x
Callaway AI Smoke TD 3 wood, Ventus TR Red 7 S

Callaway AI Smoke TD 7 wood, Denali

Titleist T200 4I GD AD 95 shaft

Titleist T150-5-PW Modus Nippon 120 S
TM Copper 2024 MG4 Wedges, 50, 56, 60 Modus Nippon 120 S

Toulon 24 Collection Fist Run Austin

1 hour ago, jgallant415 said:

Yes, he was "cleared" by a rules official, but... Reed's actions prior to the rules official arriving make this practically meaningless. By the time the rules official reached the spot, Reed had already spent a solid 15s leaning on the ball and then removed it. The official's ruling here essentially amounts to "Patrick Reed told me the ball was embedded" and from there Reed took a drop. Reed followed the proper steps for an embedded ball, but nobody is questioning the steps taken, rather people are rightfully skeptical the ball was in fact embedded.

Watch the video again. This time, try putting your glasses on or watching it on something other than your phone. As soon as he bent down he put a tee in the ground, and within 2-3 seconds, the ball was in his hand. Take note of the time stamps in the images attached. In the first, it is at the 18 second mark and he is putting the tee in the ground. In the second, it is at the 21 second mark and if you look at his hand, that white spot is the ball. 

can we please just move past this theory he mashed his ball into the ground yet? 

397C2EF0-3CD3-4852-9A98-418F4C7E7961.jpeg

3D3425C5-6E6F-4EF5-84F8-52840D823D52.jpeg

Edited by bigred90gt
  • Like 2

I think we should all take a deep breath and remember that golf on TV, is a sport that is played for our entertainment purposes.  This is not life or death.  Mr. Reed makes the game more entertaining, I don't always like it, but golf can be a bit mundane to watch on occasion.  I find Reed more entertaining to watch than Koepka for example, but prime Phil or Tiger were much better.  

Reed didn't kill anyone, he wasn't even penalized for cheating at a game.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not hanging a poster of him in my man cave, but I REALLY envy his short game.  Right now he's my odds on fav to win the Masters, I can just see that smirk on his face now in Butler Cabin.  

• Like 4

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

1 minute ago, dlygrisse said:

I think we should all take a deep breath and remember that golf on TV, is a sport that is played for our entertainment purposes.  This is not life or death.  Mr. Reed makes the game more entertaining, I don't always like it, but golf can be a bit mundane to watch on occasion.  I find Reed more entertaining to watch than Koepka for example, but prime Phil or Tiger were much better.  

Reed didn't kill anyone, he wasn't even penalized for cheating at a game.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not hanging a poster of him in my man cave, but I REALLY envy his short game.  Right now he's my odds on fav to win the Masters, I can just see that smirk on his face now in Butler Cabin.  

People robbing banks makes the news more entertaining too. 

1 hour ago, jadedennill said:

I live in Victoria, so I was about to say the same thing. Give me 100 drops from 2 feet and I’d bet you $1000 not a single one plugs in the rough. 

Here’s the thing - it’s not about being “plugged”, it’s about being “embedded”. Embedded is defined, by the rules of golf, as any part of the ball being below the surface. Not plugged. Give me a rain storm at my poorly draining local course, and I can drop 5 balls in the rough from 1-2 feet and I can almost guarantee you at least 3-4 of them, if not all of them, would have broken the surface. None of them would be plugged, but that’s not the requirement. 

• Like 1

Just now, ReidThompson said:

You're not Justine.  Must keep looking. haha

In all seriousness, if anyone is caught cheating they should suffer whatever consequences come their way.  I just don't think this is cheating.  If it was Rory should be punished as well.  Plus probably a few other guys around the course that we don't even know about.  Golf isn't played in a arena, you just can't review every single play.  I also think instant replay is the worst thing to ever happen to modern sports.....but that's a topic for another thread.  

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

1 hour ago, jgallant415 said:

The fact that Reed removed the ball leaves nothing for a rules official to rule on except whether the player claims the ball was embedded or not. The rules official clearing Reed tells us nothing except that Reed says his ball was embedded.

Official: "I can't comment on whether the ball was embedded since you have moved it already, but I can tell you how to proceed if it was embedded."

It was lame the way he acted by any standards. Either go down the route McIlroy did and take ownership of the situation by taking a drop and carrying on or call an official with the ball left in the same spot. Leaving a tee close to a spot in deep grass gives an official very little to go on, means nothing that he thought he could feel a lip on prodding around an area, Reed just effectively used the guy to back his story. Lame on the part of the USGA too to say he acted perfectly, if you want a ruling leave the ball in the exact place so the official can look at the facts. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pleasedwith3putts said:

if you want a ruling leave the ball in the exact place so the official can look at the facts. 

But that is not the rule.

It's really no different than choosing your own spot (with the help of your playing partners) as to where a ball crossed the water hazard. 

8 minutes ago, Potatohead said:

But that is not the rule.

It's really no different than choosing your own spot (with the help of your playing partners) as to where a ball crossed the water hazard. 

Absolutely different. An official can tell as a matter of fact if a ball is embedded or not, gently see if you can start to move it and if there is resistance, call an official before proceeding further. It may not be the rule but it's common sense, moving the embedded ball away and pointing to an area marked by a tee and telling an official it was embedded there is like asking your playing partners where they think a ball crossed a hazard when they weren't watching.

I think we all, on some levels, can really suck. But, this man has some serious (major) character flaws and clearly couldn't GAF. I hate the way he acts, conflates, and contorts the truth - like everyone else is an idiot. Having said that, I love the way he couldn't GAF. I knew, with no uncertainty, that he was going to close the deal yesterday. He thrives off the tension; almost as if he wants to create controversy to feed his inner GFY. If I had no morals, he would always be my first pick, regardless of the competitive venue.

Driver: Ping G430 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Ventus (Velocore) Red 5S
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
9 Wood: Ping G430 Max (23 Degree) - CB Alta Black 65S 

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

Titleist T150 8-PW KBS $ Taper (115)  

Titleist T200 6/7 KBS $ Taper (115)

Vokey (49/53) Degree) SM8 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

56 minutes ago, PZero said:

I've met him several times and always had a great interaction. He's awesome with the fans.

Someone recently posted this on Reddit after they wrote to Patrick after their father died. Reed also signed the Masters flag the guy got with his father that day.

https://old.reddit.com/r/golf/comments/kcpct8/patrick_reed/

Screenshot_2021-02-01 Patrick Reed.png

That is really cool.  

• Like 1

Jaime Diaz, come on man.  Going on about how the rules changed and simpler and need to put the "safeguards" back in.

What a joke.  This rule, except for where you get relief, has been the same for . . . . almost 37 years.  How you check, drop, etc. the same.

Tripp - "ethics" - NO.  The rules are the ethics. Abundance of caution, okay.  Would I do that?  Definitely yes.  But if the rule isn't broken you can't claim he violated "ethics" because he didn't put the ball right back down where it was.  Had he done that what are the odds people would then think they had an even better case to claim he put it in there "firmly" or "pushed it in" ---- lol.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Potatohead said:

How can you possibly make that determination when you don't even seem to understand the definition of an embedded ball in the first place. 

Not to mention the TV never really got a good look at the ball itself. 

Lots of guilty before proven innocent in this thread. 

Guilty because he’s already proved he’s a POS over and over again. 
Nobody got a good look at the ball because he jumped to his “relief” so fast that it’s all just speculation.

I was in my car most of the day today listening to Sirius PGA. Reed didn't cheat, pure and simple. If he did, then so did about a hundred other players. Colt Knost was with Reed and said if it would have been anyone else but Reed we wouldn't be talking about it. I know he's done some shady stuff in the past but I don't believe anyone should be vilified for their whole life for past screw ups. People that feel that way should look in the mirror. Cheating isn't any different than lying and show me somebody that hasn't lied a few times in their life. They don't exist. And if you come on here and tell me you've never lied, you're lying.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

3 hours ago, bigred90gt said:

Watch the video again. This time, try putting your glasses on or watching it on something other than your phone. As soon as he bent down he put a tee in the ground, and within 2-3 seconds, the ball was in his hand. Take note of the time stamps in the images attached. In the first, it is at the 18 second mark and he is putting the tee in the ground. In the second, it is at the 21 second mark and if you look at his hand, that white spot is the ball. 

can we please just move past this theory he mashed his ball into the ground yet? 

397C2EF0-3CD3-4852-9A98-418F4C7E7961.jpeg

3D3425C5-6E6F-4EF5-84F8-52840D823D52.jpeg

on the grassy knoll, back and to the left ... back and to the left ... back and to the left ... 

• Like 3