2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

How could anyone be a fan of Patrick Reed?

JermWRX

2 hours ago, mister2cool said:

AH, Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was a little odd that he said the ball could not be cleaned.... then it made sense that Reed set his ball down in the grass, without cleaning it, and waited for the ruling. 

According to the USGA, not only can you clean the ball, you can use a different ball.

• Like 1

The only thing I like about PR is his dark green 911

• Like 1

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

6 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I watched Reed as the event unfolded.  Also watched the rules officials explanation.  In Reeds defense, the rules official said every thing Reed did was correct, yet weak kneed haters pile on.  Some people are pathetic.  Nick Faldo should have kept his old fashion opinion to himself.  Pro golfers should have each other's backs, but many today are weasels. 

We'll have to forgive those other golfers for not giving him a medal for following the rules that day.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

PR  "Did it bounce?"

Person:  "uh, no, i didn't see it bounce"

Thanks for proving what I said to be correct.  Lol

Ping G430 LST 9*, Ka’ili White 60

TM Qi10 15*, Ventus TR Blue 60
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* D

Cameron Phantom X 11, 2021
Titleist ProV1

Just now, ProStryker said:

The way you quoted it was totally out of context.  Lol, Lol, Lol  Durpa durpa.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

32 minutes ago, Golfrnut said:

Yeah, no, you didn't listen that well.  He asked if he could stick his finger in there.  Reed replied, yeah, I don't know how else you would determine whether there was an indention or not.  It was in rough, obviously not easily visible.  If it says it all to you...it's only because you wanted it to.  The video is all over the place, you can hear the context of that conversation easily.

Thank you for the clarification. You only make my point clearer. A good guy or girl would reply something along the lines of "sure, yes, please, of course etc.) a jack leg would reply "yeah, I don't know how else you would determine whether there was an indention or not" It's a snarky reply plain and simple.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Potatohead said:

What kind of 911?

Painted to match his jacket.  GT2 https://is.gd/3XLVZ7

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I can’t believe what I’ve heard in regards to Reed. You all ( retired pros) have used rules to aid in your game,at various points in a tournament. He was told it didn’t bounce which would indicate to me as it did to him that it most probably had been imbedded. He didn’t have the aid of a camera as you did. Rory didn’t call for an official on his imbedded ball. Oh but that’s okay he’s Rory. Reed didn’t even get a better lie, as I’m sure all of you did when you used the rules. Sure Reeds done some things in the past that are questionable. But I think he has proven over and again how good he is. Humm

6 minutes ago, PoolPond said:

Thank you for the clarification. You only make my point clearer. A good guy or girl would reply something along the lines of "sure, yes, please, of course etc.) a jack leg would reply "yeah, I don't know how else you would determine whether there was an indention or not" It's a snarky reply plain and simple.

Keep nit-picking to try and find something to justify the angle. It’s okay, again, the video is there for all to see. Only thing left is for someone to come out and say they are offended...

• Haha 1

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

I would’ve passed on the spoiler but I wonder if he went with yellow belts and dials .. I hope he did the dials

Edited by cardoustie
  • Like 2

Scotty GoLo

14 minutes ago, ProStryker said:

Don't understand why you're arguing this like it makes a difference or changes anything, it doesn't. Telling him that they didn't see it bounce in the situation means the same thing as saying it didn't bounce, either way he needs to check for a plugged ball because it is a possibility.

1 minute ago, jholz said:

Is Patrick Reed a douchebag? Yes, he most certainly is. 

Did he cheat in the Farmer's Insurance Open? No, it doesn't look like he did. 

I think this is about the only reasonable position to be found here. 

Completely agree, from all accounts it just seems like the dude is a D-bag. But he still deserves defending because this time he did nothing wrong.

• Like 1

I'm honestly shocked at the number of Reed defenders. I can't say with certainty his ball was or was not plugged, but there's plenty of reason to be skeptical particularly in the context of Reed's history of pushing the envelope with the rules. Would I convict him of cheating in a criminal court ("beyond a reasonable doubt")? No, probably not. Civil court ("preponderance of the evidence" or >50% certain)? Pretty sure I would.

Yes, he asked the volunteer if she saw the ball bounce and she said it didn't, but... he did this as he was walking up to the ball. He was clearly looking for a path to relief before he even saw the lie.

No, he did not have access to video replay like those of us watching at home, but... THE BALL DID BOUNCE. One hundred observers could have told Reed they did not see the ball bounce, but we know it did and having seen the ball bounce, there is reason to be highly skeptical the ball was plugged. You know who else thought the bounce/no bounce distinction is important? Patrick Reed! If the fact it bounced is irrelevant to whether his ball was actually plugged then there was no reason to bother asking the volunteer if she saw it bounce.

Yes, he was "cleared" by a rules official, but... Reed's actions prior to the rules official arriving make this practically meaningless. By the time the rules official reached the spot, Reed had already spent a solid 15s leaning on the ball and then removed it. The official's ruling here essentially amounts to "Patrick Reed told me the ball was embedded" and from there Reed took a drop. Reed followed the proper steps for an embedded ball, but nobody is questioning the steps taken, rather people are rightfully skeptical the ball was in fact embedded.

BUT RORY DID IT TOO! Yes, he did. And it's not the greatest look for him. But Patrick Reed having less credibility than Rory McIlroy has nothing to do with Rory and everything to do with a less the squeaky clean career when it comes to the rules. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dlygrisse said:

A)  Wrong, just wrong, wet muddy ground can easily indent from that distance.  We don't know how soft the ground is, but you are just wrong here.

B)  So we are going to apply different rules for Rory than another player?  That makes zero sense.  zero.  The rules should be applied equally to everyone.  

Use your common sense here! Maybe if a ball is dropped into bare mud, no grass whatsoever from 2’ it could barely break the surface. Even from 6 feet into 3” rough, there’s zero chance of it plugging. You’re clearly out of your element here, and that’s not just based on the erroneous nature of your argument but also because you’re supporting Patrick Reed. 
And no, same rules for Rory, but he’s not a POS so nobody is talking about his situation. That’s why I was laughing before. Literally the same situation, but nobody cares about the other cause Reed has earned this kind of scrutiny.

1 hour ago, jadedennill said:

You honestly believe that every tour player, the fans, his family, and his college teammates are all mistaken and he’s just misunderstood!? Only one common denominator there creating these toxic situations and relationships. 
We’ve also seen him blatantly cheat on TV then flat out lie about it.

In this instance, we also saw him blatantly cheat. No we couldn’t see his lie, but we know that a ball cannot break the ground after a 2’ bounce back into the rough. It’s why he did it before anyone else could see it. The ball wasn’t embedded PERIOD

He does not deserve the benefit of the doubt. 

Still won. People hate on people because it’s easy and this is a forum and you wanna get your two cents in. 
You can’t say that Reed was the first case on this scenario at this tournament, though.
There were roughly 11,000 shots in the first round alone. Then there were 2 more days of bad conditions with very soft ground.
So. You watched every shot and saw every player and were aware of every drop and if every shot bounced? Nah. Absolutely nah. If you did, then you’d have a catalog of questionable drops.
Perhaps the dude cheated. Perhaps not. If he did, we will never know it. So his story is his story. 
Don’t be mad though. Just go to your local course and play.

Hmm, I thought the GT2 had a no spoiler touring option, maybe it is the GT3

Looked it up

Ahh, it is the GT3, my bad 

as a 911 owner I am embarrassed 

• Haha 2

Scotty GoLo

1 hour ago, dropkicked said:

The rules apply without inference of character.

Not talking about the rules, we’re talking about his character and the fact that he conducts himself in such a way that when he uses the exact same rule as another popular player, he ends up being raked over the coals for it. 
The rule technicality is a moot point now. He got away with it, so that’s put to rest. All we’re left with is his character and the fact that it’s weak. That’s why this discussion isn’t aimed at Rory as well, because he isn’t a POS.

Just now, cardoustie said:

Looked it up

How COULD YOU! 😅

GT3 touring option is blasphemy, IMO!

Former Gt3 owner... will probably be getting into a Taycan 4s, soon.. 👍🏼

Dying to get one out on the track to see how EV cars hold up..

• Like 1

Titleist....

3 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

Looked it up

As a GT owner I am not saying a thing... 😋

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

3 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

Looked it up

GT3 Touring has no spoiler, but also only available in manual (good and bad depending on your point of view). Also ultra limited, more so than the other cars. Although I believe Porsche now moving forward is going to make as many GT cars as people want. 

3 minutes ago, Stanks said:

Still won. People hate on people because it’s easy and this is a forum and you wanna get your two cents in. 
You can’t say that Reed was the first case on this scenario at this tournament, though.
There were roughly 11,000 shots in the first round alone. Then there were 2 more days of bad conditions with very soft ground.
So. You watched every shot and saw every player and were aware of every drop and if every shot bounced? Nah. Absolutely nah. If you did, then you’d have a catalog of questionable drops.
Perhaps the dude cheated. Perhaps not. If he did, we will never know it. So his story is his story. 
Don’t be mad though. Just go to your local course and play.

You’re right, this probably happened all over the course without anyone else seeing it. The point here is that it happened while on camera to the a player of the most questionable character golf has ever seen. That’s why this discussion is happening and that’s why this forum exists. To discuss opinions. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jadedennill said:

Use your common sense here! Maybe if a ball is dropped into bare mud, no grass whatsoever from 2’ it could barely break the surface. Even from 6 feet into 3” rough, there’s zero chance of it plugging. You’re clearly out of your element here, and that’s not just based on the erroneous nature of your argument but also because you’re supporting Patrick Reed. 
And no, same rules for Rory, but he’s not a POS so nobody is talking about his situation. That’s why I was laughing before. Literally the same situation, but nobody cares about the other cause Reed has earned this kind of scrutiny.

Let's just leave it with the understanding that you obviously have mistaken me for someone who cares what you think.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly