2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

How could anyone be a fan of Patrick Reed?

JermWRX

16 minutes ago, manku said:

In golf, why would someone care what your "peers" think?   BTW, they aren't "peers"...they're your competition.  For you to win, they have to lose.

Harris English was his TEAM MATE in college, not his competition.  Not only him, but several other TEAM MATES have accused of cheating and stealing money.  If it was one person, then yeah, it can be taken with a grain of salt, but when several team mates say the same thing, well, there's something to it. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, Yuck said:

I am a fan a great music

I am a fan of great art

I am a fan a great scientific achievement 

I am a fan of great Athletic achievement

I am a fan of great golf

If I limited my enjoyment of great achievements to those people I felt worthy of whatever high standards I might have on morals, ethics, lifestyle, etc.   I would miss out on a lot.

People who are principle-based* are as much or more concerned with the process as they are with the outcome.  They'll respect a person who did everything right and failed more than a person who won in a questionable manner.

To them, it's not "great music" If the person making it is an immoral turd.  

To them, it's not "great art" if the person making it is unethical.

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

For them, the process and not the outcome is what determines "success."  

For them, "if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying" is a terrible outlook.

For them, tainted victories aren't victories at all.

*I'll head this off right from the beginning...no, I'm not saying that people who think differently lack principles.  I'm simply referring to where principles lie with regard to priority and thought process.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, michigangolfer said:

My issue is this, if he wasn't at least skirting the rules, why did he ask the volunteer if it bounced WHILE he was walking up to the ball? He hadn't even inspected his lie closely when he asked the question. That shows intent in my mind.  

Because it lets you know where to look.  No bounce equals deep.  Rory mentioned the same “ we didn’t see it bounce “.  

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 minute ago, MtlJeff said:

I don't think it's overly complicated why some fans like Reed or people similar to him . It is usually 1 of 2 reasons:

1) Guy really isn't that bad and the media coverage tends to snowball/pile on and ends up making the guy seem worse than he is. I always felt this happened to Sergio a bit, who always seemed like he had a softer side even despite his missteps. 

2) Guy actually is that bad, but still has fans because of "counter culture" where people will like him specifically because they are told they shouldn't. And it's more about not being told what to do than about the person

Don't forget the guy at the beginning of the thread that very seriously said “he’s an American, that’s good enough for me!”. BTW I’m Canadian and so is Paul Bernardo so that’s good enough for me! I think he’s innocent. Good Canadian boy. Just misunderstood 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think he's an insufferable cheating ***** and Chamblee was spot on in his summary.

• Like 1

Taylormade M2 Driver 10.5 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Taylormade M2 (2017) Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Mizuno MP-H5 4 - PW. KBS C-Taper Stiff.
Titleist SM6 - 50 - 54 - 60 True Temper XP Stiff
Scotty Cameron GoLo 5R Putter & Cleveland Frontline Elvorada (whichever is behaving the best)

1 minute ago, Kilo1545 said:

People who are principle-based* are as much or more concerned with the process as they are with the outcome.  They'll respect a person who did everything right and failed more than a person who won in a questionable manner.

To them, it's not "great music" If the person making it is an immoral turd.  

To them, it's not "great art" if the person making it is unethical.

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

For them, the process and not the outcome is what determines "success."  

For them, "if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying" is a terrible outlook.

For them, tainted victories aren't victories at all.

*I'll head this off right from the beginning...no, I'm not saying that people who think differently lack principles.  I'm simply referring to where principles lie with regard to priority and thought process.

Well put.  I’m also a Ric Flair fan and used to watch Dale ( both as a child not a slobbering adult ) before nascar  turned into a beauty pageant.  So I’m guessing I’m the antithesis of that description.  Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It appears "social distancing" is likely not a problem for him.

Estranged from his family, disliked by his college teammates.

Hard to like, but apparently that's fine with him.

Too bad this over shadows his considerable golfing skills.

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

I've reached the point where unless it's someone I know, I couldn't care less who wins a tournament, a football game, a baseball game, a hockey game, a basketball game...

If you're betting on something, I can see it, otherwise, who cares? It has no effect on you at all. It's not like they're going to send you a check because they won.

Edited by Soloman1
  • Like 4

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

Just now, Itsjustagame said:

It appears "social distancing" is likely not a problem for him.

Estranged from his family, disliked by his college teammates.

Hard to like, but apparently that's fine with him.

Too bad this over shadows his considerable golfing skills.

Agreed. When this many people have cut you out and you have this many examples of poor behaviour on your record, it’s clear that he’s the issue. 

If he hadn’t have been good at golf he’d probably be slinging lemon used cars to people with bad credit. 

Rory has credibility, and also, in my opinion a plausible reason....the ball bounced, and landed right back in its own pitch mark. Which is easily possible. Reed's ball jumped forward a few feet, maybe 1 foot in the air after a low pulled wedge. Rory's ball was a towering/ballooning 5i that dropped straight down, bounced up 1 foot and fell right back down. Did not bounce forward.

Now, I don't doubt that either of them had a nice mud spot on their ball. There is 0% chance Reeds ball was in its own initial pitch mark, and doubtful it embedded on a short hop.  Rory's ball could have landed in its own mark, especially if it landed nearly vertical. The clearing it made in the grass on the way down could have easily funneled it back into its own pitch mark.  Can't say 100% that is what happened. But I can explain Rory's situation easier than Reeds.

IMO though, anytime you are going to move a live ball in play, for free relief from embedded ball, you get a playing partner, their caddy or an official.  Cart path drops, relief from structures, etc. are all pretty easy to do on your own. Embedded balls, get someone to check, and preferably prior to you removing your ball. I'll allow a 1" pick up and check, but not palming it, not moving it, not touching dirt with your hand.

Reed needs to be put on rules probation. IMO, he should know better with his reputation and just take the high road and get the rules official.  Immediately asking the volunteer if she saw it bounce was pretty aggressive. Removing the ball/palming it was 2nd questionable act. Then testing the grass where he wanted to make a drop was 3rd. Then continuing to poke/prod the dirt with his fingers was 4th.  Its a trail of skirting the rules for personal advantage and IMO, how a pathological liar would go about it. Establish blame on unsuspecting patsy, alter crime scene, remove evidence before authority can review, and scope out a get away route.

• Thanks 2

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

11 hours ago, JermWRX said:

And how did all of the analysts react to it? Faldo, Nobilo, Baker-Finch, Dottie. All consummate pros. They all said pulling the ball out, moving it and messing around with the plug is not right. I don’t know. Guess I just think the dudes shady

What else are they going to say, especially in this age where having a different opinion means career suicide or eternal public abuse? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, manku said:

What else are they going to say, especially in this age where having a different opinion means career suicide or eternal public abuse? 

Exactly.  They have to follow the corporate response.  CBS knows controversy equals a few more viewers on Sunday, so it was clear that the announcers had someone in their ear telling them to hammer away at Patrick.

Rory, not so much.

Pretty amazing how many people totally bought into it.  A huge win for CBS and the Golf Channel to demonize PR.

• Like 1

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

13 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Harris English was his TEAM MATE in college, not his competition.  Not only him, but several other TEAM MATES have accused of cheating and stealing money.  If it was one person, then yeah, it can be taken with a grain of salt, but when several team mates say the same thing, well, there's something to it. 

I don’t know.  I just literally had to put a stop to “ teammates “ and some pretty bad bullying tactics on my kids school  basketball team.  Teammates connotation doesn’t hold much water in my option.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

16 minutes ago, michigangolfer said:

My issue is this, if he wasn't at least skirting the rules, why did he ask the volunteer if it bounced WHILE he was walking up to the ball? He hadn't even inspected his lie closely when he asked the question. That shows intent in my mind.  

My answer is I don't have the first dam* clue.   Maybe he was first on the scene and often spoke with volunteers?  And maybe he didn't know it bounced and was generally curious?   I'm an educated man, but I'm afraid I can't speak intelligently about the conversation habits of Patrick Reed. What I do know is that he arrived at the ball and asked for assistance. Now, are these the questions I was called here to answer?  Bounced balls and volunteers? Please tell me you have something more.  Rory and Patrick are two pro golfers with a social media reputations on the line. Please tell me that their WRX representative hasn't pinned their hopes to a volunteer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I don't get why neither of these guys threw up a hand and says to someone in their group "Hey, I'm plugged and going to take a drop. Do you want to take a look first?". And this goes for anything, you should do that if you're on a drain, cart path, etc.

Nearly 100% of the time the other person will say go ahead and drop, the fact that you offered gives everyone good piece of mind. When you just pick your ball up without saying anything is when things look suspicious. 

That's common courtesy in competitive golf IMO. Even going back to a junior event, if you looked over and say someone taking a drop in the rough without them saying something you would think wtf. 

With Reid, he's not well liked and has been caught cheating before. So when he does something suspicious people jump all over it. His ball may have been plugged, but we'll never know. Seeing a ball bounce does not mean for certain that it did, or didn't plug; that's not solid evidence in either direction. If he had just offered to let someone else take a look he could have avoided this entirely. Instead it was in his pocket before anyone knew what was going on.

With McIlroy, he's well respected, liked and to my knowledge hasn't been on the wrong end of a rules controversy. People generally trust that his ball was plugged. However, if he wants to avoid this in the future it would be pretty easy.

5 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

My answer is I don't have the first dam* clue.   Maybe he was first on the scene and often spoke with volunteers?  And maybe he didn't know it bounced and was generally curious?   I'm an educated man, but I'm afraid I can't speak intelligently about the conversation habits of Patrick Reed. What I do know is that he arrived at the ball and asked for assistance. Now, are these the questions I was called here to answer?  Bounced balls and volunteers? Please tell me you have something more.  Rory and Patrick are two pro golfers with a social media reputations on the line. Please tell me that their WRX representative hasn't pinned their hopes to a volunteer.

Thanks Colonel Jessep

11 hours ago, Golfnuck said:

I don't particularly care for the guy.

But he takes every advantage to win.  Maybe gets a bit over the edge but so what.

I'm sure you all watch or have played American Football.  I bet there is at least one foul committed on every play.

I'm Canadian and I played hockey.  We all know how to hook or interfere to gain an edge.

The trick is not to get caught.

So why not for golf too.

What I do admire about him is 1) his ability to cheat just enough to not get caught or 2) if he does get caught (sand incident) he doesn't give a crap.   He is by far the most professional cheater in golf today and you have to admire him for that.

I am sick of everyone that seems to think golfers are so angelic and how honorable the game is ..... I don't believe it for a moment.

Joe Montana: If you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying,

Wow....and I thought I was cynical!!!

But golf is (or should be) different.

Guys like Reed and Kuchar are basically dirtbags.

Everyone saw Reed's shot pop a foot in the air after it first landed.

How can a ball possibly plug after that?

IT CAN'T.

Reed should have been penalized and the official should be told to look for another job.

The official had access to TV replay. Why didn't he use it??

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, GoTime said:

Sure looked like Rory's caddie cleaned his ball....

Yeah I noticed that as well. I am a Rory fan but I think he got away with one there. 

• Like 1

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34"