Mizuno MP-22

joeymack14

I played MP-14 for 6 years starting in the 90's. MP-33s for 18 years. And I've had the MP-18 in the bag the last 3. I love the MP-18--and they are getting love from some of the tour guys like Ryan Moore. The MP-18 are slightly smaller than the MP-20 and a straight muscle back. I'm hoping the MP-22 goes back to that profile.

• Like 3

Wouldn’t mind a smaller made 3-7 iron . The short irons 8-pw mp20 mb were perfect but the longer clubs were very big headed (felt great though)

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

On 3/12/2021 at 9:48 AM, QuigleyDU said:

The HMB is a solid and popular performer. It will not be going away.. The hollow body forged club is very in vogue at the moment. I would prefer they just put it on it a diet and streamlined it a bit. 

Yeah I was excited for that iron until I saw it in person. It is too chunky. They should learn from an iron like p770. Kinda like they streamlined the MMC from 18 to 20. 

• Like 1

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/2022 BB-1F

Pro V1X 

On 3/11/2021 at 9:09 PM, Foreleft said:

They better be special, Srixon threatens to eat into their share of the forged market.

Srixon is a direct competitor with the JPX line. Am excited to see their new MB whenever it comes out. I wish they would have kept those in same line though. 

• Like 1

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/2022 BB-1F

Pro V1X 

On 3/12/2021 at 10:55 AM, GHIN n Juice said:

I agree, it is the flavor of the month right now.  I just think it fits a bit better on the JPX line.  Those hollow body irons are more of a distance club and that’s always been the JPX line versus the more traditional mp offerings. 

The biggest selling point of the HMB is not that it’s hollow body, it’s that it looks exactly like a blade. It will never go to the JPX line. 

Although I get what you’re saying. I think changing the name away from Hot Metal (hot metal is synonymous with the JPX) to something more serious like Hollow Muscle Back HMB, Hollow Tour Blade HTB, etc; might give it a little more respect amongst the purists and get more to switch. 

Edited by CW13
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, idontnoh said:

18s > 20s for me but excited to see what they put out next

Youre honestly the first person I’ve heard say this. Now, i haven’t hit the 18s but the general consensus is the 20s copper underlay makes them the best feeling iron they’ve made in years. 

As for the hmb, my fitter pushed me hard on these hollow bodied blades. I currently game mp52 forged and i don’t like a bulky iron or much offset. His pitch was “you’re hitting this 6 iron 210”. That’s great for my ego but they are def distance irons. They look nice but I’m looking for consistency and workability in my short to mid irons. Went mb in 5-P snd Hmb in 3-4 with -2 degrees loft. Which will reduce offset and minimize bulky distance iron look. I wish they made the MMC in a 3 cause that’s the direction i would of gone in. My hope for the 22 models is the hollow body to be more refined and almost a players performance iron like the 770s and apex pros. 

2 hours ago, DatDude7984 said:

Youre honestly the first person I’ve heard say this. Now, i haven’t hit the 18s but the general consensus is the 20s copper underlay makes them the best feeling iron they’ve made in years. 

As for the hmb, my fitter pushed me hard on these hollow bodied blades. I currently game mp52 forged and i don’t like a bulky iron or much offset. His pitch was “you’re hitting this 6 iron 210”. That’s great for my ego but they are def distance irons. They look nice but I’m looking for consistency and workability in my short to mid irons. Went mb in 5-P snd Hmb in 3-4 with -2 degrees loft. Which will reduce offset and minimize bulky distance iron look. I wish they made the MMC in a 3 cause that’s the direction i would of gone in. My hope for the 22 models is the hollow body to be more refined and almost a players performance iron like the 770s and apex pros. 

Totally get that the 20s feel amazing but it came down to looks and not springing for another set of irons for me. Performance wise, I didn’t see a consistent enough gain in ballspeed to warrant a new set. On feel, it was the 20s feeling GREAT vs the 18s feeling great so I decided to stick with what I got. Now, if I can suddenly snag a set of head only 20s for a cheap price...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CW13 said:

The biggest selling point of the HMB is not that it’s hollow body, it’s that it looks exactly like a blade. It will never go to the JPX line. 

Although I get what you’re saying. I think changing the name away from Hot Metal (hot metal is synonymous with the JPX) to something more serious like Hollow Muscle Back HMB, Hollow Tour Blade HTB, etc; might give it a little more respect amongst the purists and get more to switch. 

I wish they did, then I would have no issue playing the 3 iron in one. Maybe the short and mid irons are a different story. They feel great but I'm not a fan of how the 3 iron looks. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

On 3/15/2021 at 5:39 AM, idontnoh said:

18s > 20s for me but excited to see what they put out next

I think I agree with this as well.. the 18s were special.

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

22 hours ago, idontnoh said:

Totally get that the 20s feel amazing but it came down to looks and not springing for another set of irons for me. Performance wise, I didn’t see a consistent enough gain in ballspeed to warrant a new set. On feel, it was the 20s feeling GREAT vs the 18s feeling great so I decided to stick with what I got. Now, if I can suddenly snag a set of head only 20s for a cheap price...

Kind of the same boat here. I'd really like something that flights the ball a little lower, but I'm so in love with the way the 18s look at address and how they go through the dirt.

• Like 1

TSi3
M5 3 Wood
3 Titleist U500
4-PW MP18 MB
Vokey 52F, 56S, and 60T
Scotty Special Select Newport 2

I agree. They have lost their identity. MP should be pure traditionalists. There is a reason Casey is still playing the MP 5's. 

Their best irons were the MP 14/29/33/68/4/5. But it has been too long since the MP4/5 line to get a great set of blades. Look at Titleist. Their MB line has barely changed. 

From the MP 18 line and MP 20 they were major disappointments. Stick to the basics. MP line is for the pure muscle back player. Don't need cooper gimmicks. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, speeder757 said:

Hopefully this year comes with a Thinner Topline. Mizuno seems addicted to thicker top lines lately 

Funny, I was damn near crucified for saying that I thought the MP-20 top line was too thick in another discussion...

I’m still on MP-5s, and I’ll probably stay there until wear the faces to the point that the ball won’t spin.  I use the 4I to 9I, use a Vokey 46 and currently a MP-H5 2 iron.  That 2 needs a replacement that is a slimmer profile for sure, probably this year.

• Like 1

Everyone likes what they like but I can’t get the MP-20 MB out of my bag, like them MUCH better than the 18. The 20’s are in the running for best iron I’ve ever played and I’ve hit just about everything. To each their own though. Excited to see what the 22s look like and the changes they make. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Florida Gator said:

Funny, I was damn near crucified for saying that I thought the MP-20 top line was too thick in another discussion...

I’m still on MP-5s, and I’ll probably stay there until wear the faces to the point that the ball won’t spin.  I use the 4I to 9I, use a Vokey 46 and currently a MP-H5 2 iron.  That 2 needs a replacement that is a slimmer profile for sure, probably this year.

Almost the exact same boat. MP-5 4-9, Vokey 47° and a T-MB deuce. 

Just reading through this thread inspired me to have a look at some of those places that will restore your irons. At $50/head, I’m just gonna get my MP5’s restored and forget about the new line.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

I will be buying new irons next Winter and most likely the MP22.  I would like the blades to match up a little better with the mmc if I split the set at the 7 iron.  I think the lofts/offset specs as they are right now are perfect.  (for those of you who might not know the offset and lofts are all identical on the mp line.  if you bend a blade 1* strong and an mmc 1* weak the offset/loft of each club is the same by design).  Not having the sc is fine for me but as long as we are making wishes I would like an MMC that is a little more compact so it matches up better.  That being said the mp20 is perfectly fine as it is at the end of the day for me.  Put me down for the mp22 mmc 5-7 and mp22 8-PW with a possible HMB 4 iron for January 2022.  thanks.  

• Like 1

TSi3 10 @ 10.75 Ventus Black 6x 45"

TS2 15* Hzrdus smoke black 70g 6.5 43"

TS3 18* Hzrdus smoke black RDX  80g 6.5 41.5"

New Level NLU-01 22* and 25* Hzrdus smoke black rdx 100g 6.5
New Level 902-OS 6-P (KBS tour 130x) -1* weak on each

Vokey sm8 50@49/12 KBS $ taper HT 130, Sm9 54@53/10S,

58/4T KBS $ taper HT 125 or 58/8m DGx100 mid TI
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 35"/ 69* Press II

These comments kind of surprise me as I think the MP-20s are a great club, and I don't think I'd call the MP-5 a classic blade. It has a shaped muscle akin to the MP-69s or similar to tweak CG, along with higher offset than the MP-20s. That's probably why Casey sticks with them (plus the fact that he can). I can see the comments about head size but they are extremely playable for a blade while having very low offset and great feel. 

• Like 2

Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

ProV1x

5 hours ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

These comments kind of surprise me as I think the MP-20s are a great club, and I don't think I'd call the MP-5 a classic blade. It has a shaped muscle akin to the MP-69s or similar to tweak CG, along with higher offset than the MP-20s. That's probably why Casey sticks with them (plus the fact that he can). I can see the comments about head size but they are extremely playable for a blade while having very low offset and great feel. 

Not one tour member of relevance is playing the MP 20 line or the MP 18 line. More play the Mp 4 and Mp5. Casey, Singh, Vargas, etc. Sure there maybe a player that plays the Mp 20 but never heard of him

The satin finish from chrome was a big difference. The engineers love this rounded toe and thick topline look and it is not a pure blade. I get the engineering for a thicker topline for better feel but the feel is good enough. Not what a MP blade should look like. Look at Tileist MBs. Thinner topline and squarer toe. Even Ping has a squarer toe.  I've had the Mp 29's and I've seen the evolution of Mizuno and they are coming up with different ideas every year. At a certain point you have to be evolutionary not revolutionary. 

2 hours ago, oih said:

Not one tour member of relevance is playing the MP 20 line or the MP 18 line. More play the Mp 4 and Mp5. Casey, Singh, Vargas, etc. Sure there maybe a player that plays the Mp 20 but never heard of him

The satin finish from chrome was a big difference. The engineers love this rounded toe and thick topline look and it is not a pure blade. I get the engineering for a thicker topline for better feel but the feel is good enough. Not what a MP blade should look like. Look at Tileist MBs. Thinner topline and squarer toe. Even Ping has a squarer toe.  I've had the Mp 29's and I've seen the evolution of Mizuno and they are coming up with different ideas every year. At a certain point you have to be evolutionary not revolutionary. 

I'm sure people have heard of Justin Rose.. unless he just switched they were in his bag. .Keith Mitchell as well.. not sure who this Vargas is you are talking about.. for sure have not heard of him..I will agree with MP4.. fantastic irons

Edited by FOOTJOY16
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

On 3/11/2021 at 10:53 AM, Rory4Pres said:

You guys talk about the Mp5's like they are a dinosaur.  I'm rocking the mp64's with mp32's as backups.  No plans to change despite everything else in my bag changing quite often.

Mp64 😍

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

On 3/15/2021 at 3:30 PM, DatDude7984 said:

Saw a MMC 3 iron on the ebay. Think its fake

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mizuno-MP20-MMC-3-Iron-Single-Club-NS-Pro-Modus-Stiff-Steel-Shaft/284223013524?hash=item422d030294:g:vzkAAOSwH1JgUf2x

Now that I think of it I saw a full 3-P set of blades that didn't pass the smell test either

Edited by Poolparty

8 hours ago, B_of_H said:

I will be buying new irons next Winter and most likely the MP22.  I would like the blades to match up a little better with the mmc if I split the set at the 7 iron.  I think the lofts/offset specs as they are right now are perfect.  (for those of you who might not know the offset and lofts are all identical on the mp line.  if you bend a blade 1* strong and an mmc 1* weak the offset/loft of each club is the same by design).  Not having the sc is fine for me but as long as we are making wishes I would like an MMC that is a little more compact so it matches up better.  That being said the mp20 is perfectly fine as it is at the end of the day for me.  Put me down for the mp22 mmc 5-7 and mp22 8-PW with a possible HMB 4 iron for January 2022.  thanks.  

I love the MP20. I was thinking of going strong a degree on the 7-PW blades, weak on on the 6 iron MMC, and strong one on the 4 iron MMC for a full set w 4 degree gaps

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FOOTJOY16 said:

I'm sure people have heard of Justin Rose.. unless he just switched they were in his bag. .Keith Mitchell as well.. not sure who this Vargas is you are talking about.. for sure have not heard of him..I will agree with MP4.. fantastic irons

Luke Donalds is also playing the MP20. I think Vegas has now Titleist MBs in the bag, but not sure. And I am playing a MP18 combo....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, oih said:

Keith Mitchell is playing them, Justin Rose recently put a set in. They simply don't have a big tour presence. 

Mizuno has pretty much always been a more rounded toe in their blades. I've played 33s, 37s, 67s, 68s, 69s and I'm just not seeing this huge divergence from pure blade in the 20s. Although I would agree that Ping pretty much nailed it with the Blueprints, just wish they didn't cost so much. 

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf
  • Like 1

Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

ProV1x