Mizuno MP-22

joeymack14

On 3/12/2021 at 8:49 AM, GHIN n Juice said:

I’m looking forward to the mp22 line, but mostly because they usually produce some aesthetically pleasing irons.  But, to be honest I think the company is having an identity crisis right now.  3 mp irons and 3 JPX irons that have a lot of crossover.  I’d love to see them return to an mp line with a blade, players cavity and a dual cavity (mp53), leaving the hollow heads and other gimmicks for the JPX line.  They need more distinction between irons with fewer JPX offerings.

Choices are a good thing. And their jpx line/choices are their better sellers so......

Forever Changing at this point.......

1 hour ago, Red4282 said:

I would love to give mizuno another chance but as long as its toplines are thick and offsets are more than I would like, I will be sticking with titleists.

Mizuno seems confused in the last few years. Alot of overlap with all their irons, all seem like the same thing with a different finish. At least in their “players” offerings. Their driver release this year really had me scratching my head. On the tail end of all the other major releases with nothing but a different paint job on a st200, and no “g” model. Cant get out of their own way it seems. They still have a ton of success obviously, thanks to their namesake. 

100%. 

Exactly my sentiments. They have lost their identiy. If they want to get cute stick to the JPX line.

The topline on the MP18's and even the MP 20's are unbearable. The classic look is what a true blade should be and their recent releases are not. 

42 minutes ago, PapaJohick said:

Choices are a good thing. And their jpx line/choices are their better sellers so......

I’m looking forward to the mp22 line, but mostly because they usually produce some aesthetically pleasing irons.  But, to be honest I think the company is having an identity crisis right now.  3 mp irons and 3 JPX irons that have a lot of crossover.  I’d love to see them return to an mp line with a blade, players cavity and a dual cavity (mp53), leaving the hollow heads and other gimmicks for the JPX line.  They need more distinction between irons with fewer JPX offerings.

100%. They have lost their identity. 

Edited by oih
  • Like 1

I kind of agree with this. Whenever a company comes out with 4 iron models in one release it makes me think that they didn't give any of them their full attention. Still looking forward to these, though. 

• Like 1

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

1 hour ago, craz-e said:

I hope they go more "blade" like in the blade. Smaller and thinner please.

I think they are going for more forgiveness - that's why you see the slightly thicker top line and other forgiving features. Don't need much offset though, even in the HMB.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

On 3/17/2021 at 11:26 AM, The Mad Bomber said:

Almost the exact same boat. MP-5 4-9, Vokey 47° and a T-MB deuce. 

Just reading through this thread inspired me to have a look at some of those places that will restore your irons. At $50/head, I’m just gonna get my MP5’s restored and forget about the new line.

I’m going a slightly different path along the same lines.  I just had my annual fitting to bend everything where it needs to be for proper gapping and there’s nothing better than looking at an iron you trust at address.  So, I’ll spend a few hundred for a blasting cabinet and reblast the faces.  Over next winter I’ll pull the graphite shafts to give them a good polish, and the faces should still be nice and fresh from me blasting them.  That’s the positive of a shallow swing path and minimal divots, the grooves stay fresh for a lonnnnnggggg time!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, craz-e said:

I hope they go more "blade" like in the blade. Smaller and thinner please.

Yes x1000.  Something with say mp29 shape .  Mp20 is just wrong.  Don’t know why or what exactly but I was major turned off.  And yes I owned a set.  Weird feeling , and looking.  

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

45 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Yes x1000.  Something with say mp29 shape .  Mp20 is just wrong.  Don’t know why or what exactly but I was major turned off.  And yes I owned a set.  Weird feeling , and looking.  

I have not hit the 20s outside, so I will reserve judgment, but I found that they felt very strange when I hit them indoors.  Copper or not, I want the old feel in a slightly smaller package. Ping and Titleist got the proportions right, IMO. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, halfsumo said:

I kind of agree with this. Whenever a company comes out with 4 iron models in one release it makes me think that they didn't give any of them their full attention. Still looking forward to these, though. 

I think this is a little unfair. I’m sure they have different teams working on different models. I think Titleist released 6 iron sets in 2019 (T100-400, 620 MB/CB) and no one would say they didn’t put their full attention on them. 

23 hours ago, SwingMan said:

MP20 Lineup appeals to different markets and blending choices.

As an older golfer, I like the HMB and find it easier to play/more forgiving than the JPX 919F. And it's fine for those who need a 3 or 4i and want more assurance/forgiveness. Okay, it may be slightly bigger than you want but that's why they have the Blade.

Recently moved from the MMC 4i to the HMB 4i with the loft cranked up 2deg.  It's almost the perfect long iron, I don't know how the HMB could be beat.  Feel, elevation, workability and indeed the best looks you could manage for an iron offering that performance package.  

• Like 2

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

1 hour ago, BCULAW said:

I have not hit the 20s outside, so I will reserve judgment, but I found that they felt very strange when I hit them indoors.  Copper or not, I want the old feel in a slightly smaller package. Ping and Titleist got the proportions right, IMO. 

Yep. I’m not at all wanting to dog them. 

But -  they have a very hollow , almost thick feeling to them .  Not in a solid way.  In a more like the HMB way.  Which isn’t good. I’d say it’s the weight placement, while it maybe more forgiving , it’s not pleasing from the middle.     I hit them side by side with mp33 for weeks and just couldn’t keep them.  

and yes. Ping blueprint should be the size target.  There’s many other choices if someone wants a larger fatter,  rounder iron. 

and to add. I’m not down on the hmb eityer. I had a 4 iron in that. Great for its purpose. I just want the mp blade to also fit its purpose. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

20s feel great to me outside, better than my MP-69s. I think I would put the 68s as the best blade I've played from them still.

• Like 4

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

Interesting thread..and everyone has their own tastes and preferences for sure...

I really like my MP 20's..they are my favorites behind the 33's and MP4's.. never liked the MP5 thought it looked too large and felt clicky.. just my personal opinion...

anxious to see what they come out with next.. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

12 hours ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

20s feel great to me outside, better than my MP-69s. I think I would put the 68s as the best blade I've played from them still.

Agree there. 68s are my favorite.  I’m secretly looking for a mint set. Lol.  Not out there.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 3/22/2021 at 9:04 AM, bladehunter said:

Yep. I’m not at all wanting to dog them. 

But -  they have a very hollow , almost thick feeling to them .  Not in a solid way.  In a more like the HMB way.  Which isn’t good. I’d say it’s the weight placement, while it maybe more forgiving , it’s not pleasing from the middle.     I hit them side by side with mp33 for weeks and just couldn’t keep them.  

and yes. Ping blueprint should be the size target.  There’s many other choices if someone wants a larger fatter,  rounder iron. 

and to add. I’m not down on the hmb eityer. I had a 4 iron in that. Great for its purpose. I just want the mp blade to also fit its purpose. 

Really surprised to hear that, I’ve been playing the 20s for over a year and I love them. I will say I hated the HMB long iron, had a terrible feel but I haven’t gotten any of that from the MP-20 MB. Playing them 1* weak they look great IMO but I could see where some blade purists would like a smaller profile but all in all I think the 20s were fantastic. 

• Like 3

On 3/17/2021 at 7:39 PM, oih said:

Not one tour member of relevance is playing the MP 20 line or the MP 18 line. More play the Mp 4 and Mp5. Casey, Singh, Vargas, etc. Sure there maybe a player that plays the Mp 20 but never heard of him

The satin finish from chrome was a big difference. The engineers love this rounded toe and thick topline look and it is not a pure blade. I get the engineering for a thicker topline for better feel but the feel is good enough. Not what a MP blade should look like. Look at Tileist MBs. Thinner topline and squarer toe. Even Ping has a squarer toe.  I've had the Mp 29's and I've seen the evolution of Mizuno and they are coming up with different ideas every year. At a certain point you have to be evolutionary not revolutionary. 

Dude Mizuno doesn’t really pay people to play there stuff. If they had the money that Taylormade did you would see DJ and Tiger playing them. 

Also look at Rose playing the MP20. If Rosey is playing them they are good. He’s very peculiar with his irons.

Edited by CTSpinDoctor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Titleist Ts4 9.5* Accra TZ6 M5
Ping G400 5w Motore Speeder VC 7.3x
Mizuno HMB 3 Nippon 120x

Mizuno MP20 4-P Nippon 120x
Cleveland Zipcore 52, 56 Ti S400

Cleveland Rtx 4 60-03 Ti S400
Ping Heppler ZB3
ProV1

2 hours ago, CTSpinDoctor said:

Dude Mizuno doesn’t really pay people to play there stuff. If they had the money that Taylormade did you would see DJ and Tiger playing them. 

Also look at Rose playing the MP20. If Rosey is playing them they are good. He’s very peculiar with his irons.

Not really. There are many free agents and besides rose not many are playing the mp 20’s. It’s all relative. 

MiZuno never paid players. Brooks, glover all left mizuno as free agents and not playing the jpx’s. Many more free agents use titleist or ping. It’s all relative. And rose not sure he is playing well. Blame it on health or clubs but let’s see how long he lasts with the mp 20’s. 

heck even Garcia chose the blueprints over the mizunos and now back to Taylormade. 

it’s a fact if mizuno went back to its old blades with a titleist look many more players would use the clubs. 

Edited by oih
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, oih said:

Not really. There are many free agents and besides rose not many are playing the mp 20’s. It’s all relative. 

MiZuno never paid players. Brooks, glover all left mizuno as free agents and not playing the jpx’s. Many more free agents use titleist or ping. It’s all relative. And rose not sure he is playing well. Blame it on health or clubs but let’s see how long he lasts with the mp 20’s. 

heck even Garcia chose the blueprints over the mizunos and now back to Taylormade. 

it’s a fact if mizuno went back to its old blades with a titleist look many more players would use the clubs. 

Glover plays JPX 919 still. And Those “free agents” that went to Titleist and Ping are more than likely getting some sort of compensation for sure

Mizuno HMB 3 Nippon 120x

Ping Heppler ZB3
ProV1

1 hour ago, CTSpinDoctor said:

Glover plays JPX 919 still. And Those “free agents” that went to Titleist and Ping are more than likely getting some sort of compensation for sure

Ping and Titleist are known not to pay the $$ like TM or Callaway. Many Titleist players left because they weren't getting market. Rory, Tiger, Phil, Sergio.  In fact Wally Uhlein the former CEO of Acushnet said nobody is bigger than the brand. The elite players like Spieth/JT just have extreme loyalty to the brand thanks to Jim Ahern. He was there every tournament for juniors and amateurs. Ahern was a legend in the junior/amateur circuit. He scouted Adam Scott, Sergio. Cantlay, Casey, JT, Spieth, etc. The list is too long to write here. 

The % of Ping players outperform Mizuno bar none. And Lucas left Mizuno. Check their website he is not listed anymore. I am not sure what he is playing actually but remember him playing a different set per golfwrx tournament pics. 

The point of this thread is to say I don't like the newer models of MP's and many here agree. They need to get back to Mizuno and hopefully they do.  I miss the MP 14/29/33/4 days. That's just me and my opinion. 

Edited by oih
  • Like 1

Personally I think the MP20 is the best blade they have ever made. You get good enough looks, great feel and are easy to play. The lofts are typically 2 degrees stronger than most and if you don’t like the offset bend them 2 degrees weak and there you go. I’ve hit all the blades out there and own quite a few from Muira MB001, Mizuno MP 4, Mizuno MP 33, Mizuno MP 68, Titleist 718 MB. They are all apples to oranges and look similar. The MP20 is the easiest to play and feels the best to me. 

Edited by CTSpinDoctor
  • Like 3

Mizuno HMB 3 Nippon 120x

Ping Heppler ZB3
ProV1

1 hour ago, CTSpinDoctor said:

Personally I think the MP20 is the best blade they have ever made. You get good enough looks, great feel and are easy to play. The lofts are typically 2 degrees stronger than most and if you don’t like the offset bend them 2 degrees weak and there you go. I’ve hit all the blades out there and own quite a few from Muira MB001, Mizuno MP 4, Mizuno MP 33, Mizuno MP 68, Titleist 718 MB. They are all apples to oranges and look similar. The MP20 is the easiest to play and feels the best to me. 

And I get that.  But. It’s that deadish feelin they have that is the reason they’re easier to play.  It’s the weight distribution.  AS in a CB in sheep’s clothing.  Which isn’t what they are supposed to be .  They have many irons in that category.  I personally think the MMC feels better. I had those in Long irons once too. I tried every combo to try to like those MB and couldn’t.  I’d prefer a whole set of mmc first.  They feel similar and my expectation of them is to be dull and fly  high.  I guess my expectation of the MB is to feel bad on off center strikes and great from the middle. It did neither.  Was just even across the face.  So that’s why I say what I say , it’s didn’t meet my expectations.  Odd I guess. But true.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 3/20/2021 at 3:35 AM, oih said:

Yup. They have lost their way. It’s a shame since the older blades were terrific before the MP5’s.

the 18’s not sure who on tour is even playing them. Not one free agent I can remember played them. 

Ryan Moore is in a set of 18's.

Srixon ZX5 LS Driver, Project X Hzrdus Black, 70g 6.5

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, True Temper X100

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Biomech Acculock Ace / Ping B90 Broomstick

To comment on some of the “complaints” on Mizuno and then “losing their identity”. I like a thin top line as well and don’t want a bunch of offset. Their current mp20 mb is perfect for honestly. I believe they are a bit easier to hit and i love the look and feel of a blade but enjoy just a bit more forgiveness compared to the rest of the blade marker. I’m a 3.0 index but still enjoy the luxury of just a slight gain in forgiveness in the mb model. On top of that Mizuno’s motto isn’t “nothing looks like a mizuno”. It’s “Nothing Feels Like a Mizuno”. And that slightly thicker top line and copper underlay makes that motto true. Just my two cents. 

• Like 2