2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Your 7 iron distance and shaft

hypergolf

9 hours ago, Alan Pllu said:

Screenshot added of my flighscope numbers. 7 iron Mp18 mmc 34 degree loft with modus 105 x flex shafts. 

I was using tp5x but didn't like the low spin so changing to Bridgestone tour bxs for this season so expect the spin number to increase a bit and the carry number to decrease. 

Screenshot_20210217-233602_Drive.jpg

I have to ask...are you hitting into a pond? You only get 3 yards of roll with. 2 iron that carried 240? Your 7 iron stops where it lands at 181 with just 5000 rpm? Seems awfully low spin. I wouldn’t think the ball change would add more than a couple hundred rpm so it would still be low.

Anywho...yes, I just turned 64.....and have always been a short-ish player. 155-160 carry with Srixon ZX7 32* with Nippon 125s.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

15 minutes ago, dhacker56 said:

Also my gaps are perfect... How is your game improved from going to course and beating the ball around w/o any tinkering and practice time?   Just had to ask😇

Oh Ive done some tinkering over the years, but cant say it has made me a better golfer. To quote Bubba Watson (who was asked after a win if his new ping clubs has had any effect on his game) "No, its never about the equipment".

Edited by mizunotpz
forgot a word

Since I build my own clubs quite a bit... Since i started building my own about 8 years ago My index has dropped from 8.1 to a low of 2.8.  Now that age has "set in"  my index isn't what it was a few years back but my consistency id much better I could go out on any given day under normal weather conditions and based on  the flat blade's performance will shoot from 73 to 80 every day.  With the occasional great day under par and one real stinker every 15 rounds... But again that is because of the putter.  Has nothing to do with ball striking.. Generally will hit 10-12 fairways and 10 to 14 greens...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mizunotpz said:

Oh Ive done some tinkering over the years, but cant say it has made me a better golfer. To quote Bubba Watson (who was asked after a win if his new ping clubs has had any effect on his game) "No, its never about the equipment".

Yeah that's why his clubs change whenever Ping brings out new stuff!...  He can say all he wants but as I have always heard it said "don't do as I say but as I do."

14 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

I have to ask...are you hitting into a pond? You only get 3 yards of roll with. 2 iron that carried 240? Your 7 iron stops where it lands at 181 with just 5000 rpm? Seems awfully low spin. I wouldn’t think the ball change would add more than a couple hundred rpm so it would still be low.

Anywho...yes, I just turned 64.....and have always been a short-ish player. 155-160 carry with Srixon ZX7 32* with Nippon 125s.

Try lighter and softer shafts... Maybe go to 105s or 110's and soft step the Stiffs.

15 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

BTW 155-60 with 7 iron is not SHORT!!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, mizunotpz said:

haha it tells me that youre obsessed with equipment instead of focusing on swing mechanics and your short game. And the fact that you talk about stopping powers on greens tells me you mostly play Launch Monitor golf were the green is always flat and you can switch to firm greens haha. On the courses I play I have to worry about greens that actually has some elevation to take into consideration.

Wrong again. My home course is a Nicklaus design, with elevated tees, deep bunkers, sticky false fronts, and big multi-tiered greens, such that landing it on the right tier and getting it to stop are both equally important, otherwise you are looking a very tough up and down. Which is why length, stopping power and knowing your carry numbers are very important. All this conjecture just because some people can hit their 7i farther than you, seriously you got issues man

6 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

Wrong again. My home course is a Nicklaus design, with elevated tees, deep bunkers, sticky false fronts, and big multi-tiered greens, such that landing it on the right tier and getting it to stop are both equally important, otherwise you are looking a very tough up and down. Which is why length, stopping power and knowing your carry numbers are very important. All this conjecture just because some people can hit their 7i farther than you, seriously you got issues man

But what if you need to flight your 7i lower, do you run home and adjust your 7 iron on your loft machine then? If a good player wants more stopping power (which is a phrase that has become popular last few years) he changes his ball position or take an 8 instead of a 7 and hits it a little harder. Please stop listening to all this golf forum cliches and start to play golf. Trying to hit the perfect 7i on an LM is not the way to do it.

19 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

And btw? How often does your ball end up long after a good shot? 

1 minute ago, mizunotpz said:

And btw? How often does your ball end up long after a good shot? 

Not that often unless I'm trying to hit it past the pin, since I know my carry numbers and build my clubs/game around creating playable ball flights

12 minutes ago, mizunotpz said:

But what if you need to flight your 7i lower, do you run home and adjust your 7 iron on your loft machine then? If a good player wants more stopping power (which is a phrase that has become popular last few years) he changes his ball position or take an 8 instead of a 7 and hits it a little harder. Please stop listening to all this golf forum cliches and start to play golf. Trying to hit the perfect 7i on an LM is not the way to do it.

If I am trying to flight down a shot due to the wind, I'm not hitting the shorter club harder or moving it back in is in my stance, both are the exact opposite of what I try to accomplish. If you are trying to flight it down, the goal is to knock off spin, not increase it. I'll hit a chippy 6i with the ball a hair forward, in this case you are banking on the wind adding extra spin that will help the ball stop without it ballooning and coming up short. You literally just named two of the common clichés/mistakes there are. I can absolutely muscle the shorter club longer if I need/want to, but not if the goal is to flight one down

9 hours ago, BREWMASTER95060 said:

Hogan 1999 apex blade 37.5" 36 degree loft G Loomis X shaft 145 carry
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png

I've got some of those. Excellent irons!

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

22 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

Not that often unless I'm trying to hit it past the pin, since I know my carry numbers and build my clubs/game around creating playable ball flights

If I am trying to flight down a shot due to the wind, I'm not hitting the shorter club harder or moving it back in is in my stance, both are the exact opposite of what I try to accomplish. If you are trying to flight it down, the goal is to knock off spin, not increase it. I'll hit a chippy 6i with the ball a hair forward, in this case you are banking on the wind adding extra spin that will help the ball stop without it ballooning and coming up short. You literally just named two of the common clichés/mistakes there are. I can absolutely muscle the shorter club longer if I need/want to, but not if the goal is to flight one down

Haha, nice try. Good players, as I said earlier, dont hit 100% 7 irons or 8 irons but hitting a hard 8 will generate more spin and a little higher launch if you adjust ball position. Thats one option. Hitting a cutty 6 or 7 is another option. Its so onvious you learned from other misinformed forum members on how to play golf. If its true that you hit your 7i 185 in the air you should also be hitting high balls so why trying to hit the ball higher by weaken the loft is beyond me. That shows you just copy what other people say. And you can create plenty of spin even on lower shots. People say: I want more spin so I can fly it higher. Thats a misunderstanding of how spin works. You need to dig into "shotmaking" instead of thinking its the same as gap testing which isnt the same thing. Then you can looking at breaking 80 one day.

14 minutes ago, dhacker56 said:

As I stated... If he did not think the clubs were better for his game he would not play them...  As to Ping he could always go else where if he so chose.  The $$ is of no consequence to someone that is that wealthy.  All he is after is WINS!!!

Actually, the top tier pros make a majority of their money off their sponsors so yes, it's important for Bubba to play the latest and greatest from Ping.  For example, from what I have read, Phil makes about 40 mil a year, most of that from his Cally, Work Day and Rolex contract, not from tournament earnings. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, mizunotpz said:

Haha, nice try. Good players, as I said earlier, dont hit 100% 7 irons or 8 irons but hitting a hard 8 will generate more spin and a little higher launch if you adjust ball position. Thats one option. Hitting a cutty 6 or 7 is another option. Its so onvious you learned from other misinformed forum members on how to play golf. If its true that you hit your 7i 185 in the air you should also be hitting high balls so why trying to hit the ball higher by weaken the loft is beyond me. That shows you just copy what other people say. And you can create plenty of spin even on lower shots. People say: I want more spin so I can fly it higher. Thats a misunderstanding of how spin works. You need to dig into "shotmaking" instead of thinking its the same as gap testing which isnt the same thing. Then you can looking at breaking 80 one day.

You are insufferable.  You have serious issues if others hitting it farther than you gets you this worked up. Perhaps you should focus more on your mechanics so you can hit it a bit further. Good luck yell at the clouds guy. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dhacker56 said:

Try lighter and softer shafts... Maybe go to 105s or 110's and soft step the Stiffs.

Lol, sounds logical doesn’t it? I have a higher club head speed and ball speed with the heavier shaft. Might be from growing up playing heavier steel but there it is. I did try the Nippon 105 and a Recoil 110. I was always slowing down trying to feel where the club was.

Thank you for the effort though. I am about where I should be with 100 driver speed.

Not all of us are home run hitters.

2 hours ago, mizunotpz said:

No, he loses money if he doesnt change to the new gear coming out.

You having a tough day bro? Maybe stuck inside in the snow?

you’re being a real gem of a Richard.

7 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Ground conditions on launch monitor set to soft to match the normal conditions at my home club because it is generally quite soft with not much roll out. 

Also the height and decent angle being relatively steep helps with the ball stopping quicker. 

• Like 1