Power Blades discussion (formerly known as hollow / Player's distance)

MtlJeff

So, i've had a couple of weeks of hitting the Forged TECs now. I've hit balls every day, i've gotten on a reputable launch monitor also. I have some comments:

1) They are shockingly forgiving. Granted i'm a good ballstriker but i've found them remarkably easy to hit. I think the Modus shafts is helping get a bit more airborn with the 4 and 5 irons versus Dynamic Gold. But they are just super easy to launch and have a nice penetrating (but high enough) flight. 

2) Feel is not "forged" smooth. But definitely better and smoother than the true GI/SGI stuff like the Ping G410's i was coming from. 

3) I've been on an LM twice and my distances were very consistent. Same as my previous sets, where i could usually guess within 5 yards what my carry was going to be after each swing once i got comfortable

I'm loving them so far. Plus they look nice! No longer do people eyeball me at the range and think "wow this guy probably sucks" and then only realize the folly of their ways after watching me hit for a few minutes

What do you guys use (I500? TMAGs? etc) and do you guys like them?

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

If only they were made in Texas. 

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I have yet to try any of the hollow body offerings.  I am tempted to try the new Apex hollow body.   but the Modus shafts are certainly easier I feel to get up than the classis True Tempers.  My problem is that I really like the Modus 120 in my longer irons.  and the conventions 130 gram true tempers in my 8-PW.    

I am interested to hear anyone who has hit the i500s.  I think they look good.

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------

Haywood Signature irons look incredible (but I'm holding out for the blades next year).

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

53 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I'm loving them so far. Plus they look nice! No longer do people eyeball me at the range and think "wow this guy probably sucks" and then only realize the folly of their ways after watching me hit for a few minutes

You evidently play Mortal Kombat... most of us only play golf.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I went with the Mizuno HMB, but I loved the Cobra Forged Tec. 

I think the Forged Tec were just as soft feeling as the Mizuno’s and my low on the face miss, wasn’t punished as much with them. I only chose the Mizuno’s because I like the looks better and the lofts just worked better for me in regards to launch/spin for gapping.

I think shaft has a lot to do with feel as well. I hit the Mizuno HMB’s with Modus 120x  at the time, next to my Mizuno MP-67’s with DG X100’s and they felt every bit as good. I play the Modus 105s hs/x1 now) The Cobra’s I hit with a stock KBS stiff shaft (not sure what KBS shaft it was, but it felt great, every bit as good as the Mizuno HMB. 

As far as “flyers”I think it’s a myth for the most part. I think they are very consistent. I think the whole “flyer” comes from two different reasons most likely

1. people just not finding the center of the face consistently 

2.The lofts are stronger, they may be border line too low of spin for their speed/delivery, so a little water on the ball, or a shade heavy and their already low spin, becomes a knuckle ball “flyer”. 

When I tested the HMB with the Modus 105s I was consistently hitting the same numbers 18* launch 6600rpm spin, 126mph ball speed. That put me between 178-182 carry. When I put a the club sticker and line on the ball to check lie angle. I was getting 4300rpm spin. The 2300rpm less spin had me fly the ball 191-194 carry with a much longer roll out. Instead of flying 178 and total being 184 yards, they were flying 190 and rolling out over 200 yards.  So personally, I think the “ I sometimes get a flyer that goes 15 yards long” is a misnomer. 

Edited by Drivingrangehero
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, OsnolaKinnard said:

Edel SLS01

Those look pretty good, but I need to try a one length setup. I'm not buying the one length concept, at least not for my game. I won't even mention the lack of LH options. 🤣

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Being the club hoe I am, I've definitely tried a few. Forged Tec's were my favorite of the type. Super long and surprisingly workable in the shorter irons. Sub 70 699 pro's were good as well. i500 felt like hitting hollow rocks, wasn't a fan. Although not hollow body, (super similar target audience)  the JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro's were amazingly forgiving. Terrible toe shanked 6 irons would go 5 yards short. Best part was the small amount of offset. They were super hot off the face though and I would get the knuckle ball flyer a few times, especially the 7 and 8 iron.  

Taylormade Sim 9* (Aldila Rogue 70x)

Taylormade Sim Ti 14* (Diamana 75 X)

PXG 0317X Gen2 19* (AD-95) 

Titleist 818 H1 22* (Evenflow Blue)

ZX7/Z Forged Mkii 5-PW (Accra 125x)

Taylormade MG4 (DG TI Spinner)

L.A.B B.2

Srixon Z-Star♦

1 hour ago, lefthack said:

Those look pretty good, but I need to try a one length setup. I'm not buying the one length concept, at least not for my game. I won't even mention the lack of LH options. 🤣

If Edel offered this head in VL setup....they'd sell a ton.  The head is compact from heel to toe, has a very good sole design, and is.a thickest top line without looking like Kim Kardashian's derriere.  Think of it as a cross fit chick compared to a heroin super model.

Feel is very good and consistency in distance is very good.

All in all...a great club head.

3 hours ago, Drivingrangehero said:

I went with the Mizuno HMB, but I loved the Cobra Forged Tec. 

I think the Forged Tec were just as soft feeling as the Mizuno’s and my low on the face miss, wasn’t punished as much with them. I only chose the Mizuno’s because I like the looks better and the lofts just worked better for me in regards to launch/spin for gapping.

I think shaft has a lot to do with feel as well. I hit the Mizuno HMB’s with Modus 120x  at the time, next to my Mizuno MP-67’s with DG X100’s and they felt every bit as good. I play the Modus 105s hs/x1 now) The Cobra’s I hit with a stock KBS stiff shaft (not sure what KBS shaft it was, but it felt great, every bit as good as the Mizuno HMB. 

As far as “flyers”I think it’s a myth for the most part. I think they are very consistent. I think the whole “flyer” comes from two different reasons most likely

1. people just not finding the center of the face consistently 

2.The lofts are stronger, they may be border line too low of spin for their speed/delivery, so a little water on the ball, or a shade heavy and their already low spin, becomes a knuckle ball “flyer”. 

When I tested the HMB with the Modus 105s I was consistently hitting the same numbers 18* launch 6600rpm spin, 126mph ball speed. That put me between 178-182 carry. When I put a the club sticker and line on the ball to check lie angle. I was getting 4300rpm spin. The 2300rpm less spin had me fly the ball 191-194 carry with a much longer roll out. Instead of flying 178 and total being 184 yards, they were flying 190 and rolling out over 200 yards.  So personally, I think the “ I sometimes get a flyer that goes 15 yards long” is a misnomer. 

I've posted it before but i can count on one hand how many true "fliers" i feel i've gotten in my entire history of Ping G series and now Forged Tec

At one point this past weekend i hit like 10 shots in a row with a 7 iron between 173 and 176 into a reliable LM. I mean if you hit the ball the way you want, it will fly what you expect it to....always been my experience

• Like 3

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Calling a club a "power blade" when it has no play characteristics of a blade is an interesting flex. Don't get me wrong, I think we will see a lot more hollow body designs over the next 6 years and have entertained the idea of playing a set myself......

Its like not calling me fat and instead saying I am "dad bod ripped".  

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, wfrogge1 said:

Calling a club a "power blade" when it has no play characteristics of a blade is an interesting flex. Don't get me wrong, I think we will see a lot more hollow body designs over the next 6 years and have entertained the idea of playing a set myself......

Flade? (Fake blade) 🤣

• Haha 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Briefly had a set of p790s, and hit the whole range in this category when deciding (apex, i500, hmb, forged tec). The p790s won on an indoor launch monitor and for feel (I hated the apex, didn’t get on with the hmb and rejected the i500 and forged tec for shallow, visual reasons - the ping notch makes me want to puke and the giant letters on the cobra look like it is yelling KING!  at you). In real life the p790 didn’t spin enough (launched high with 7 iron spin in the low 5s). Any mishit that dropped the spin in the longer irons saw them launch similarly but fly an extra 10 yards. I’ve never been a high spin player, but this was too low and the courses I play at tend to kill you if you miss long. Went back and got mmcs with modus 120s in and have much better distance control. It was great, however, to hit 6 irons 200 yards for a while - I’d say it made me feel young again, but 6 irons were 36 deg and went 150 yards when I was young....

Damn, I thought we settled on Hot Pockets and I moved on....

I came really close to buying some Honma TW-X's when they came out. I could have belonged to the club.

Edited by Ger21
  • Haha 1

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

2 hours ago, wfrogge1 said:

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

We had a thread about this, it's been decided. Your objection is noted

Overruled until the next product release cycle. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

2 hours ago, lefthack said:

Flade? (Fake blade) 🤣

Flade, sounds good.

Blades are small , these hollow ,goo filled ,

Irons are like a brick on a stick, 

Don't see much tour usage, and have yet to hear any comments from pro's who switched up to a full set of these.

I do hope I can keep a straight face when I hear someone call  them power blades on the course though,  lol's are sure to follow.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

My Nike Combos were two thirds goo filled and a third blade. I appreciated the goo assistance, but prefer the solid CB's I have now.

If I could find a damn 6 iron I'd have a full set of blades, dammit.

<edit> and again, the Haywood signature is hot. 

Screenshot_20210402-173902.png

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Still crushing the i500.  Hit them solid. Can flight. Can shape. Not too forgiving...but enough.  Hit the center - solid.  Only fliers is if you hit a high toe knuckler.  That is kind of your fault if you do.  Solid downward strikes, longer, straighter and higher than my S55.  Feel is somewhat negligible with same shaft, and I notice.  Hard to really explain it. Higher pitched thud...

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

1 hour ago, puttingmatt said:

Flade, sounds good.

Blades are small , these hollow ,goo filled ,

Irons are like a brick on a stick, 

Don't see much tour usage, and have yet to hear any comments from pro's who switched up to a full set of these.

I do hope I can keep a straight face when I hear someone call  them power blades on the course though,  lol's are sure to follow.

We thought the name was really funny too, it's kind of an inside joke from another thread. Let me know if anyone calls them that on the course and if you can keep a straight face! 

• Like 2

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 hour ago, Ger21 said:

Damn, I thought we settled on Hot Pockets and I moved on....

I came really close to buying some Honma TW-X's when they came out. I could have belonged to the club.

"Hot Pockets" was a very close second! And "I appreciate the goo" was a distant 3rd.

• Thanks 1

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

3 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

"Hot Pockets" was a very close second! And "I appreciate the goo" was a distant 3rd.

Are we still doing phrasing?

• Haha 2

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

3 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

Are we still doing phrasing?

cover10.jpg

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

I have a 699 utility... I guess that counts as a power blade. 

I really like it!

I want the copper cobra techs and my wife wants me to stop buying golf stuff... 

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore