Unpopular Equipment Opinions

karstens_ghost

9 minutes ago, Spankapotamus redux said:

Where the heck are you guys playing that another group's music is bothering you that badly? I'm never closer to another group than a solid 7 iron and surely without a car stereo worthy system the music can't be that loud. I could see if the group behind you rolls up on the tee box blasting tunes while you are blasting a drive, but I'd be more pissed that they were pressing me or at myself for playing too damn slow. I play public courses in the south almost exclusively and it simply hasn't been a problem over the past 15 years. Wasn't when I lived in California or Japan either. Besides, aren't there Marshalls at your course? If people are behaving badly, isn't that who is supposed to address it?

It's the "get off my lawn" kind of guys that walk on it to cut the grass. The ones that drive the speed limit in the fast lane and when someone passes them and cuts them off, then they decide to get offended. The ones that call us entitled but they are the ones who are acting entitled... something like that. Or the ones that call a baseball size bluetooth speaker a boombox season 13 GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, btyh said:

There is a massive generation gap I'm sure consists 16 to 70 year Olds on wrx. I can tell you are on the upward end by saying garage band and listening on YouTube lol no hard feelings. Today it's called underground and they get paid by streaming online. I'm right between that age gap so I understand traditional and non traditional golf/music what ever. complainers are bantering about music at public play then I'm sure they are the culprits of holding up the entire course with slow play. 🐌  

I am retired from my chosen profession but not quite near retirement age.

I use YouTube to "watch" bands, its quick and easy. I use the term "garage band"  loosely, talent is optional.  These would be the higher handicap musicians lets say. The music industry travels along side the golfing world in that way. jmo

1 minute ago, Ghostwedge said:

I use YouTube to "watch" bands, its quick and easy. I use the term "garage band"  loosely, talent is optional.  These would be the higher handicap musicians lets say. The music industry travels along side the golfing world in that way. jmo

Gotcha, Talent or not you don't need to be on the radio or TV to make millions with music. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nard_S said:

My original comment on music was somewhat tongue in cheek, get off my lawn rhetoric but devolved. Sorry. My real "unpopular" objection is why do we have to be so tethered to digital consumption? Why do we need a soundtrack or a selfie to validate life? Golf is a respite from that or, so it once was. Go to a show, everyone is taping the event instead of experiencing the event. Mom's with giant ipads taping Jr. at the choral recital instead of actually watching it. Now we need our senior prom song to tee off to. We have to have "Bruh tunes" for the round. How about the round? The game? Not popular but that's my take.

Because for some, myself included, we just LOVE music. So put 2 Loves together and the mood is even better. 🙂

Almost beat my low round this year and had my phone playing music the whole time. Of course, if you weren't standing right next to me you would have never heard it.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

5 hours ago, Pastit said:

I’ve never seen anyone take their golf clubs to a discotheque and anyone using fones or medical devices when playing with me can find another mug to play with. Never heard of anything so stupid. What about all the lovely nature out there. 

I think we are both on the same page in that we shouldn't be forced to listen to each other's music during a round. Where it sounds like we disagree is whether I should be able to listen to my music at all. 

I'd happily play thru if it bothered you that much.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

When I started this thread, I knew it was going to go some weird places, but this has exceeded. Everyone here is awesome.

Unpopular opinions drive the love. Rock on. Or don't. IDGAF as long as you can't hear it from 300m.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

7 hours ago, rondre3000 said:

I think we are both on the same page in that we shouldn't be forced to listen to each other's music during a round. Where it sounds like we disagree is whether I should be able to listen to my music at all. 

I'd happily play thru if it bothered you that much.

In the U.K. I’d expect club committees to take an adverse view. Where they were laid back about it then I’d not be bothered if someone listened to music without bothering me. 

I may be wrong but I recall Greg Norman making a point re modernising golf by attracting youngsters via relaxing what many see as old codgers’s rules. There is definitely a good point here. For myself, I wouldn’t engage in risky behaviour which might annoy others on the course. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, drumdude96 said:

I don't think many metal bands are making millions these days, except for the few that have been around for decades and can charge hundreds of dollars per concert ticket. Metallica and Tool are raking it in, for sure. But most of the newer bands on Spotify probably don't make much at all when all is said and done. But money shouldn't be the reason they do it anyway. It's about their art and expressing themselves through that music and connecting with fans. Today's pop is solely about the money, and we know how little actual talent there is in that genre. We certainly don't want that spilling over into other genres. It has happened to country music, and just look how bad that is now. No thank you.

Not many but some. Merch, youtube, tours, streamed listens  millions doesn't mean they are rich either. I was mainly referring to other underground talentless trash genres that you don't hear on the radio ect. 

14 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Actling like a child always works well. 

I’d think the party of the first was the child in the first - first  🤪.    Who subjects other people to their music choices ?  That’s akin to smoking in a cart , or having a 3 hole phone conversation.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

51 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I’d think the party of the first was the child in the first - first  🤪.    Who subjects other people to their music choices ?  That’s akin to smoking in a cart , or having a 3 hole phone conversation.  

Very much an aside, but since most places have gone to no smoking pretty much anywhere*, I've noticed I've become much more sensitive to the smell of nicotine. At the range yesterday, the guy in the next bay went off to the designated smoking area for a ciggie, and I could smell him come back before I saw him. 

I must have been 8~9ft away from him, but damn that nicotine smell was strong.

20, 30 years ago, I'd go to smoke-filled pubs and think nothing off it, yet now, one bloke having a quick tab sets off a reaction!

And yeah, all those years ago when I went off for a furtive ciggie outside thinking my parents would never know...they totally noticed🤣

*Don't know about the US, but restaurants, bars, and even driving ranges here have strict no smoking policies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Very much an aside, but since most places have gone to no smoking pretty much anywhere*, I've noticed I've become much more sensitive to the smell of nicotine. At the range yesterday, the guy in the next bay went off to the designated smoking area for a ciggie, and I could smell him come back before I saw him. 

I must have been 8~9ft away from him, but damn that nicotine smell was strong.

20, 30 years ago, I'd go to smoke-filled pubs and think nothing off it, yet now, one bloke having a quick tab sets off a reaction!

And yeah, all those years ago when I went off for a furtive ciggie outside thinking my parents would never know...they totally noticed🤣

*Don't know about the US, but restaurants, bars, and even driving ranges here have strict no smoking policies.

It’s same here. Finally.  

i grew up being around parents who smoked. I didn’t live with them. But was around them ( long story ). I hated the smell.  Still do. I’d rather have a cow pie spread on my shirt than to go into a room with cigarette smoke.  You come out smelling like it and you can’t get rid of it.  But.  Outside it really doesn’t bother me.  So long as I’m not confined with it. I’ve never smoked a single one.  And I had this convo with a lady in a gas station once. I walked in to find a cloud of smoke.  I’m dressed for a wedding.  She compliments my suit , and I say “ too bad I have to smell like an ashtray the rest of the night “.   It was true. I could smell myself the entire night.  People who smoke don’t get it because that smell never leaves them.  Unless they quit.  Then I’ve had several who make the comment that they can smell the difference now.  

• Thanks 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 2/6/2022 at 7:20 PM, drumdude96 said:

That should be the only way it's allowed on the course.  Golf has been played for centuries without people blaring their music.  It has only become a problem since the "it's all about me and screw everyone else" generation started playing the game.

Golf was also played for centuries without women and black people, so unless you want to go down that path too....

Time to evolve, gramps.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

TaylorMade Stealth+ 8°  - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black

TaylorMade SIM 2 Ti 5w 19° (set to 17°) - Diamana Limited 75 S

TaylorMade SIM UDI 2i - Diamana Thump 90 S

Ping i210 5i-UW - Dynamic Gold S300

TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 56-10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Milled Grind 60-09 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64- - Dynamic Gold Wedge

Ping Craz-e - Ping Karsten w/ Super Stroke Traxion Claw 2.0 grip

16 hours ago, rondre3000 said:

I'm amazed that of all the examples of being pissed off about someone else's music being too loud, we don't have more examples of "Yeah, I simply asked them to turn it down a bit and we were all good after that".

FFS, all this aggressive talk behind the keyboard and y'all are scared to actually TALK TO SOMEONE in real life.

It's pathetic, actually.  

Between a. being too weak minded to deal with briefly overhearing someone's music, and b. not being able to use your grown up words and ask them to turn it down if A applies to you.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ghostwedge said:

I'm sure the words "You can't even call this new stuff music" have recently came out of your mouth too.

11 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

It’s same here. Finally.  

i grew up being around parents who smoked. I didn’t live with them. But was around them ( long story ). I hated the smell.  Still do. I’d rather have a cow pie spread on my shirt than to go into a room with cigarette smoke.  You come out smelling like it and you can’t get rid of it.  But.  Outside it really doesn’t bother me.  So long as I’m not confined with it. I’ve never smoked a single one.  And I had this convo with a lady in a gas station once. I walked in to find a cloud of smoke.  I’m dressed for a wedding.  She compliments my suit , and I say “ too bad I have to smell like an ashtray the rest of the night “.   It was true. I could smell myself the entire night.  People who smoke don’t get it because that smell never leaves them.  Unless they quit.  Then I’ve had several who make the comment that they can smell the difference now.  

Run like hell if someone is smoking in a gas station - never mind the pong. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, amace04 said:

I'm sure the words "You can't even call this new stuff music" have recently came out of your mouth too.

You said it.  I didn’t.   But I’ll agree.  If it has auto tune.  It’s not music. If its main instrument is a sound board. It’s not music.    Can we at least agree on that?    We need actual voices. And actual humans playing notes.   Not computer aided.  

• Haha 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

If you NEED multi material irons and high MOI putters in order to have a reasonable chance to make a decent shot or putt, the so-called tech is simply a crutch to prop up lack of basic ability.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

5 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

You said it.  I didn’t.   But I’ll agree.  If it has auto tune.  It’s not music. If its main instrument is a sound board. It’s not music.    Can we at least agree on that?    We need actual voices. And actual humans playing notes.   Not computer aided.  

I'd agree to a degree, but there's much more than just techno or house music

Just now, amace04 said:

I'd agree to a degree, but there's much more than just techno or house music

No doubt.  I’ve heard a few.  Mind you a few things lately that I said “ hmm that has a good sound.  “. Or it had a good lyric etc.   I’m not anti rap or anything like that. My music love is wide.  From too short to journey.  From buck Owens  to Coldplay.  Occasional Elvis gospel rants …..Jodeci if the mood strikes , GNR , John R , nirvana , stones , outkast , brothers Osborne and on and on.  If it has a hook.  It will catch my ear.  But. Less and less catches my ear anymore.  And I hear plenty.  I have a 13 year old.  Oddly enough. He’s a 90s music fan.  The 80s weird him out though. Lol which I find hilarious.  As it was in fact the pinnacle of human evolution.  😂

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

9 minutes ago, drumdude96 said:

Sexism and racism are nowhere near being in the same league as other people blaring their music on the course and being disrespectful.  GTFOH with that idiotic comparison.  And I'm not even close to old enough to be called "gramps".  I doubt I'm even old enough to be your father, much less your grandfather. 

The second you mention "how it's always been", specifically as it relates to carrying a pocket-sized media storage unit capable of playing music made in the past 50 years at a variety of volumes - many of which are completely acceptable on a golf course, your argument warrants being completely picked apart.

I expect you also play with hickory shafts and wear knickers

18 minutes ago, amace04 said:

I doubt it, music takes many forms. What you call "this new stuff music" is still someone's creation and can be considered music I guess. Would I rather listen to EW&F or some rapper ? I'll take real musicianship every single time played on real instruments. You couldn't get me to sit down at a symphony but i respect the h°ll out of the  person holding that little triangle. They may get one shot to get it right in 2 hours. 

18 minutes ago, amace04 said:

It's obvious given my user name that I'm a musician, so I definitely have a dog in this fight.  If there aren't musicians playing actual instruments, then it's not music, it's noise with notes.  If you can't sing in key and have to use auto tune, it's not music.  If you have to edit and quantize all the tracks in Pro Tools because the "musicians" aren't talented enough to get a good take on their own, it's not music, it's computer-aided trash.  If the backing tracks are all samples, it's not music.  I could go on and on, but you get the idea.  And I'm going to throw this in as well; if you don't write your own songs (99% of people on the radio don't) you're nothing but a glorified karaoke singer. 

• Like 4

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime