Unpopular Equipment Opinions

karstens_ghost

19 hours ago, drumdude96 said:

I prefer to listen to the sounds of nature while I'm on the course.  I find that much more therapeutic than any music, and also much less distracting.  Also, the music I like is far too complex and heavy to have any sort of therapeutic effect in the first place.  I can't imagine trying to keep myself in a good swing rhythm while listening to Tool play a song in a crazy time signature like 17/4.  I also get pretty pissed when someone turns on music on the course that I don't like, such as any modern pop or hip hop.  That "music" is overcommercialized soulless garbage, and I don't want to hear it anywhere, much less when I'm on the golf course trying to enjoy myself.  Courses should have made rules banning music years ago, now they've let it get completely out of hand. 

So what happens when you politely ask that they turn their music down?

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

23 hours ago, Lasorcier said:

I agree with this, but most of the music therapy I encounter on the course is of the blaring AC/DC or (c)rap variety from several fairways over, which is weirdly not therapeutic.  

I don't know on that I guess one is entitled to their opinion--- I like AC/DC on the course especially after I have hit about 10mgs of CBD and a couple of hits off the left handed Marlboro. We have several groups in the Scrambles that play music and I find it adds to the fun. But for me anymore I do not take golf seriously anyhow. But I do agree it should not be loud enough for others to hear 2 fairways over. I am not keen to disturbing others and interfering with their fun how ever they choose to do it

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 4

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

19 hours ago, akronswitness said:

lol agreed. You can listen to music on a BT speaker in your cart without making sure guys on the next hole can hear it. If done properly, its a game changer.

Yes you can, but it seems like anytime you mention music listening around here people assume you're fillign the entire golf course with your music. 

16 hours ago, drumdude96 said:

That should be the only way it's allowed on the course.  Golf has been played for centuries without people blaring their music.  It has only become a problem since the "it's all about me and screw everyone else" generation started playing the game.

Love what you're into for music, but a lot of things have existed in society for centuries that we've needed to progress past.  Golf has a ton of "get off my lawn" type things that are best left in the past.   Music listening on a course hasn't really been possible until cell phone/bluetooth speakers became a thing.   It's not a generational thing either, I play with a guy in his mid 60's and he was one of the first guys in our group to bring music into the fold.   With that said, the entire course shouldn't be subjected to anybody's music.  If ya dig it, do it, if it's not your thing then don't. 

• Like 3

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

9 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Yes you can, but it seems like anytime you mention music listening around here people assume you're fillign the entire golf course with your music. 

Love what you're into for music, but a lot of things have existed in society for centuries that we've needed to progress past.  Golf has a ton of "get off my lawn" type things that are best left in the past.   Music listening on a course hasn't really been possible until cell phone/bluetooth speakers became a thing.   It's not a generational thing either, I play with a guy in his mid 60's and he was one of the first guys in our group to bring music into the fold.   With that said, the entire course shouldn't be subjected to anybody's music.  If ya dig it, do it, if it's not your thing then don't. 

Yeah we have several of the members who are in their 70s that play and enjoy music. We had a pick up team one Saturday and one of the older members played with us. One of the other guys liked to play music and asked him if it was ok. Sure he said and I will point out this older member is a genteel type guy. He liked the music so much he bought him a set up the next week. Around my club it is catching on and I believe it is because folks are respectful to each others wishes and do not blare it loud enough for someone to hear 2 fairways over. Respect and moderation are the keys. And by the way Mountain I am mid 60s myself

Edited by BIG STU

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Loud music is an intrusion. It's as disrespectful as hitting into the group in front of you. If you can hear it a few paces from your cart or bag it's bad behavior. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Titleist TSi2 9.0° | Bridgestone Tour B JGR 7w

PING G425 Crossover 2i

PING G425 4i-9i

PING Glide 3.0 46, 50, 54 Eye 2, 58.6 | Mizuno OMOI 02

51 minutes ago, dodint said:

Loud music is an intrusion. It's as disrespectful as hitting into the group in front of you. If you can hear it a few paces from your cart or bag it's bad behavior. 

Agreed.

Whether I like that type of music or not, I shouldn't be forced to listen to it if I'm farther than 6 feet away from you. And this is coming from someone who plays music on the course AT ALL TIMES.

Edited by rondre3000
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

2 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I have a whole thread on the General Board about why golf is dying and what people can do to ensure it doesnt---my reasoning was for this type of stuff specifically. 

The one thing I noted was that courses are ran by older folks and maintained by older folks who are impervious to change. Its also why it took a global pandemic for golf to see a rise in attendance for the first time in 20 years. Gotta do something or the sport is going to keep trending down, more courses will close and the sport will die with the boomer generation. BUT--that seems like something they kinda want to happen anyways so I fully understand the 'get off my lawn' takes.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, btyh said:

Yeah has if you have Spotify he has a public play list. 

Just the other day I was listening to Two Towers by Fit for an Autopsy on the way to the course and randomly thought "I bet Viktor Hovland and I would have a nice drive to the course together"..

Turns out thats the 2nd song on his playlist for this year lol, I didn't know he had public playlists though very cool definitely gonna follow

• Like 2

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

My regular partner and I play music every round. Everything from early 80's hip-hop, metal, house, new-wave...you name it. Loud enough we can hear it but no further than 20 yds away from the cart. Never once had anyone complain at any course we've played over the years. If anything, it's a bit of a distraction to us (hard to hit good golf shots while you're headbanging to some old school Slayer or Metallica). I'm with @BIG STU, I love golf but I don't take it too seriously. It's about getting out and having fun. If music takes a bit off of the frustration from a bad round or slow play, so be it. I'd rather listen to your poor musical choices than deal with you stinking drunk and acting a fool (which I see way more often and is a much bigger problem), taking 30 minutes to line up your 4th putt on a par 3, or groups of 5-6 hitting a bucket of balls into the woods on every hole that won't let a twosome through. Golf etiquette in general has become a thing of the past at the public courses I play. And it's not exclusive to the younger set. All age groups are guilty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Spankapotamus redux said:

I'd rather listen to your poor musical choices than deal with ......

I would rather not have the added annoyance of someone's "taste" in music on hand while they ruin a round otherwise. Nor would I ever presume mine is suitable for everyone else. Not my party, not yours, we're not the DJ's.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, rooski said:

Just the other day I was listening to Two Towers by Fit for an Autopsy on the way to the course and randomly thought "I bet Viktor Hovland and I would have a nice drive to the course together"..

Turns out thats the 2nd song on his playlist for this year lol, I didn't know he had public playlists though very cool definitely gonna follow

Yes! Love fit, lorna, thy art, brand of sacrifice, signs of the swarm, enterprise earth, list would go forever

1 hour ago, Nard_S said:

If you need music, there's Spotify and earbuds. Stick your lame tunes where it don't shine. There's cars, home, man cave and office to do that. Why the eff do we have to be bombarded with someone's crap taste on a golf course?

While I don't exactly condone people listening to their music so they can be heard all over the course, your argument could surely go both ways.  If you don't want to be bombarded by someone's crap taste you can always find other sports to play.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

8 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

Or I can retaliate with my own crap taste which I have no problem doing. 

Actling like a child always works well. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

6 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

It's so mature to invite folks to leave a game because yes, we know, it's all about you and your boom box. 

I'm not asking you to leave anywhere.  I'm more pointing out, that your logic can be applied both ways.  I do agree that if you do play music, gotta keep it to the confines of your group.  Beyond that, if you like it then jam on out, if you don't, then don't play anything.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

2 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

I'm not asking you to leave anywhere.  I'm more pointing out, that your logic can be applied both ways.  I do agree that if you do play music, gotta keep it to the confines of your group.  Beyond that, if you like it then jam on out, if you don't, then don't play anything.

Who died and left us to be DJ Fab Duffer? If you have solid 4-some, maybe okay but even then, other groups do hear it. If you're paired with strangers, rather presumptuous that they enjoy your mix. Ear buds is good etiquette. Speakers are not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rondre3000 said:

I'm amazed that of all the examples of being pissed off about someone else's music being too loud, we don't have more examples of "Yeah, I simply asked them to turn it down a bit and we were all good after that".

FFS, all this aggressive talk behind the keyboard and y'all are scared to actually TALK TO SOMEONE in real life.

I’ve never seen anyone take their golf clubs to a discotheque and anyone using fones or medical devices when playing with me can find another mug to play with. Never heard of anything so stupid. What about all the lovely nature out there. 

Edited by Pastit
  • Sad 1

On 2/6/2022 at 12:11 PM, miamistomp said:

This is reggae

You gotta get out more ...

Oh, man!  Don't ask me where it came from or who even owned it but we had this album in our record collection in college. My close friends and roommates all loved it. Seemed like outside of our group, no one ever heard of this album.  We wore the grooves out playing this over and over on a turntable.  We even knew a Jamaican guy to tell us what the Jamaican slang works meant.  And we might have or might not have smoked a bit or a lot of the ganja while listening.   

• Like 2

You guys are killing me...  Death Metal ? I'm going to write down all the groups listed in this thread and hit up youtube. Guessing they are mostly garage bands who have a following of millions ? SMH

The last two times I got paired up with people and music it was BRO Country and Celine Dion, wanted to stick a gun in my mouth ( JUST KIDDING ) 👍 people.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, The Mad Bomber said:

It shouldn't matter, but I absolutely hate the Cally logo. I can't play their ball for that reason alone. It has ZERO effect on performance, but I think most of their stuff is just ugly. Great performance, to be sure. But just ugly.

I never thought of it before, but maybe it IS the logo that bothers me lol. I’m sure they make good products performance wise, just visually not for me. 

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

22 minutes ago, Ghostwedge said:

You guys are killing me...  Death Metal ? I'm going to write down all the groups listed in this thread and hit up youtube. Guessing they are mostly garage bands who have a following of millions ? SMH

The last two times I got paired up with people and music it was BRO Country and Celine Dion, wanted to stick a gun in my mouth ( JUST KIDDING ) 👍 people.

There is a massive generation gap I'm sure consists 16 to 70 year Olds on wrx. I can tell you are on the upward end by saying garage band and listening on YouTube lol no hard feelings. Today it's called underground and they get paid by streaming online. I'm right between that age gap so I understand traditional and non traditional golf/music what ever. complainers are bantering about music at public play then I'm sure they are the culprits of holding up the entire course with slow play. 🐌  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My original comment on music was somewhat tongue in cheek, get off my lawn rhetoric but devolved. Sorry. My real "unpopular" objection is why do we have to be so tethered to digital consumption? Why do we need a soundtrack or a selfie to validate life? Golf is a respite from that or, so it once was. Go to a show, everyone is taping the event instead of experiencing the event. Mom's with giant ipads taping Jr. at the choral recital instead of actually watching it. Now we need our senior prom song to tee off to. We have to have "Bruh tunes" for the round. How about the round? The game? Not popular but that's my take.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghostwedge said:

You want death metal recs, hit me up. Been a metal head since the early 80's. I'll set you right up.

Where the heck are you guys playing that another group's music is bothering you that badly? I'm never closer to another group than a solid 7 iron and surely without a car stereo worthy system the music can't be that loud. I could see if the group behind you rolls up on the tee box blasting tunes while you are blasting a drive, but I'd be more pissed that they were pressing me or at myself for playing too damn slow. I play public courses in the south almost exclusively and it simply hasn't been a problem over the past 15 years. Wasn't when I lived in California or Japan either. Besides, aren't there Marshalls at your course? If people are behaving badly, isn't that who is supposed to address it?