PGL offers DJ, Rose $30 million each (***MERGED***)

JaNelson38

3 minutes ago, physasst said:

Sounds like the players agreed to it.

According to several players, Monahan made it clear that joining the PGL would mean an automatic suspension from the PGA Tour and the possibility of a permanent expulsion. According to a PGA Tour official, such an action is part of the tour's regulations and has been approved by the players.

https://africa.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/31394037/phil-mickelson-bash-super-league-others-do

In the article you linked, and surprising no one, an active player with a questionable history with money/investments/shady dealings and people, at best, and who clearly doesn't have what it takes to compete on the PGA Tour any more, is seemingly very intrigued by it. Shocked I am... not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

In the article you linked, and surprising no one, an active player with a questionable history with money/investments/shady dealings and people, at best, and who clearly doesn't have what it takes to compete on the PGA Tour any more, is seemingly very intrigued by it. Shocked I am... not.

Yep, not surprised by Phil at all. I just wanted to note that it sounds like from that quote, that there is a collective bargaining agreement between the players and the tour. So, if they signed to and agreed to that, then they could very easily be suspended/expelled with questionable legal remedies....if that quote above is correct that is.

M

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

Rory's quote said it all to me. Is he still the head of the Players Advisory Council?

"They first contacted me back in 2014, so this is seven years down the line and nothing has really changed," McIlroy said. "Maybe the source of the money's changed or the people that are in charge have changed, but nothing has happened. No sponsorship deals, no media deals, no players have signed up, no manufacturers have signed up. There's been so many iterations at this point.

"You go back to what happened last week in Europe with the European Super League in football. People can see it for what it is, which is a money grab, which is fine if that's what you're playing golf for is to make as much money as possible. Totally fine, then go and do that if that's what makes you happy.

"But I think the top players in the game, I'm just speaking my own personal beliefs, like I'm playing this game to try to cement my place in history and my legacy and to win major championships and to win the biggest tournaments in the world. That's why I'm playing this game. Golf has been very good to me, obviously, over the years by playing in Europe starting off, coming over to the PGA Tour and playing here. I honestly don't think there's a better structure in place in golf, and I don't think there will be. You have the strategic partnership as well between Europe and the PGA Tour, and that's only going to strengthen the structure of golf going forward as well in terms of scheduling and all sorts of other stuff and working together a little bit more."

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

1 hour ago, PJE said:

...The Top 125 closed shop model which rewards mediocrity and no name players finally bears bitter fruit for the PGA Tour...

The PGL is trying to be a much smaller closed shop.   

If they are offering a spot to Phil M., then they are promoting "mediocrity".    Even Phil knows his best playing days are behind him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

But to get into The Masters, PGA Championship, U.S. Open, and the British Open, you need world ranking points. They're not getting any from this proposed carnival side show.

True under the current qualification process but these Majors which are not controlled by the PGA Tour can change their qualification requirements and can invite whoever they want to participate with special exemptionns.  

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

On 5/4/2021 at 10:55 AM, bladehunter said:

I’m agreeing.  One war etc and the money goes away.  Their wealth is dependent solely on our consumption.     Meanwhile the pga tour should live fine through any current players career.  

Have you not read anything about the House of Saud? Their wealth is generational and not going anywhere. 

Building their wealth was to a degree based on our consumption, but you know they sell more to China and probably India than us? Those markets are going to dwarf the U.S. And already are in many ways. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

For all the reasons I stated, to actually grow the talent with the infrastructure, it can take generations if not centuries.

Look at Hideki. Japan has been golf crazy for decades and he’s the first men’s major winner. 

Or, look at alpine/cross county skiing. There are counties like the US with massive resources and that field great athletes. But it’s dominated by a handful of countries that have it woven in their cultural fabric. 

As I said, they will need to take the same risks as NFL teams drafting/throwing money at promising but unproven talent if they want to really build a long term platform. 

I agree on your comments of the Tours reaction. But I think they will also have a “carrot” as well as a “stick” approach 

Japan gonna set up their own tour soon --They got deep pockets BSC.

I mean, that TV you watch, that sushi you eat...even that kimono you wear. Where to you think all that money goes, hmm? That's right

Besides, Hideki been in America too long, he's forgotten what its like, to have no oranges

• Haha 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The teams surrounded these top players are shrewd businessmen, esp. Phil's team. They will know which direction the wind blows. 

My speculation is the players will not jump ship, but will get some concession from the PGA Tour. Definitely additional concession from that $40M exposure money. I'm actually thinking maybe PGA Tour will allow appearance money? 

Once an athlete is out of contract they can do whatever they want in NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, Soccer leagues around the world.  If Lebron wants to go play in China after his Laker contract he can, and then if he wants to come back the NBA would welcome him with open arms.... they wouldn't ban him lol!  Beckham played soccer in Los Angeles for $250 Million and then left to go play in Europe again... they didn't ban him!

Make the PGA a desirable and attractive place to play like all the other leagues of the world.  If you try and force any player where they can work you will be turned on and will hurt the PGA way worse then new leagues popping up. 

I'm even surprised they even went there, just saying it could have already done reprehensible damage.  Let alone putting in such measures of restraint, suspension and banning.  To even suggest it really surprised me.  It's recently a very sensitive subject in society now about what you can even say on Social Media sites....face competition the right way Jay or you could hurt the tour we love so much.

• Like 1

Can't figure how to like my own posts

Is there a reason we as fans should be pulling for the PGA in this? I want to watch the best golf product by whoever can produce it. If that is the PGL so be it. Is there an obvious catch or downside to players leaving the PGA for the PGL I am missing? The money is nuts, funded by some shady stuff is the only sketch thing I can come up with at the moment. 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

1 hour ago, dcmidnight said:

And after more than five years of looking, the FTC dismissed the whole thing because they found no proof of anything.

This is not true.

The FTC recommended bringing legal action against the PGA Tour. Tim Finchem (the commissioner) was a shrewd political lobbyist with White House appointment experience. He lobbied Congress by pushing Congress members and special interests to the head of the line and into pro-ams for free, while other long waiting people were bumped.

He had Congress members write letters to the FTC threatening to cut the FTC budget if they went ahead with the legal filing.

Evidence didn't win the day. Politics, as usual when it comes to the US sports monopolies, won the day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

16 minutes ago, Barfolomew said:

Once an athlete is out of contract they can do whatever they want in NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, Soccer leagues around the world.  If Lebron wants to go play in China after his Laker contract he can, and then if he wants to come back the NBA would welcome him with open arms.... they wouldn't ban him lol!  Beckham played soccer in Los Angeles for $250 Million and then left to go play in Europe again... they didn't ban him!

Well - LOL - the MLS isnt a competitor to the Premier League...or any other league for that matter. The PL probably said, go, play as much as you want, we know you'll be back. But we also just saw what happened when greedy owners tried to start a money grab Super League...

The NBA example is one I tried to work with but again its tough bc its a team/contract sport vs an individual one. But almost certainly their contracts specifically state that they cannot play in another league during their time with their particular team. If China started a Super League that lasted for say six weeks, there's no chance Lebron could go play in it - even if it was in the offseason.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

9 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Is there a reason we as fans should be pulling for the PGA in this? I want to watch the best golf product by whoever can produce it. 

What is "the best golf product"?  Is it older guys like Phil playing with guys not playing well, like Fowler, in a team event with guaranteed money?   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Well - LOL - the MLS isnt a competitor to the Premier League...or any other league for that matter. The PL probably said, go, play as much as you want, we know you'll be back. But we also just saw what happened when greedy owners tried to start a money grab Super League...

The NBA example is one I tried to work with but again its tough bc its a team/contract sport vs an individual one. But almost certainly their contracts specifically state that they cannot play in another league during their time with their particular team. If China started a Super League that lasted for say six weeks, there's no chance Lebron could go play in it - even if it was in the offseason.

That's why I said when Lebron's contract is over...

But at least Lebron can choose to play in China or not when out of contract.... Adam Silver doesn't choose for him

Control.  This is all about control.  Think about any relationship where control is implemented and choice is lowered.  The relationship is immediately negative...  Countries, Marriages, Employers.  Relationships can only be positive when there is free choice to continue in that relationship...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaseyC said:

What is "the best golf product"?  Is it older guys like Phil playing with guys not playing well, like Fowler, in a team event with guaranteed money?   

Exactly.  Here's a question, if there are 48 guys in this new league - I think there are more but it might be 48 on each team each week - how far down the PGA Tour money list do you think you would have to go to find the 48th guy who'd be interested? 

Then ask yourself if that's compelling golf that you would want to watch every week.

Sorry but I honestly cant believe anyone thinks its boo hoo for these PGA players - like Jay Monahan somehow locks them in the basement and only allows them to play where he wants them to play. 

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

6 minutes ago, CaseyC said:

Thats just it. I don't know. At this point the PGL is very hypothetical right? But lets say they attract the big guys. That is who they are really after. Then what? If it is Phil and Rickie.. No thanks. 

BALL; Chrome Soft X

11 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Thats just it. I don't know. At this point the PGL is very hypothetical right? But lets say they attract the big guys. That is who they are really after. Then what? If it is Phil and Rickie.. No thanks. 

Not enough show ponies to go around... Do you like PGA events when no show ponies are doing well?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Is there a reason we as fans should be pulling for the PGA in this? I want to watch the best golf product by whoever can produce it. If that is the PGL so be it. Is there an obvious catch or downside to players leaving the PGA for the PGL I am missing? The money is nuts, funded by some shady stuff is the only sketch thing I can come up with at the moment. 

"Shady stuff" is putting it as mildly as humanly possible. This money is coming from people who chopped up a news reporter's body and flushed it down the drain.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

And how do they choose the "big guys"?     How will they decide to get rid of one of the "big guys" they originally chose and replace him?

53 minutes ago, Barfolomew said:

Your NBA and Lebron analogy is flawed. This is about players playing in both at the same time, not ending one 'contract' and signing a different 'contract.'

5 minutes ago, Barfolomew said:

Not enough show ponies to go around... Do you like PGA events when no show ponies are doing well?

Well, I am a fool so yes. I enjoy watching golf. 

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

1 minute ago, CaseyC said:

And how do they choose the "big guys"?     How will they decide to get rid of one of the "big guys" they originally chose and replace him?

You are asking me questions I have no clue what the answer is. lol.. I am just saying.. Since this is all hypothetical. Is there a reason we should all be defending the PGA. Lets say every one of the top 20 decide to go. Why would we be sad for the PGA. 

BALL; Chrome Soft X

2 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

You are asking me questions I have no clue what the answer is. lol.. I am just saying.. Since this is all hypothetical. Is there a reason we should all be defending the PGA. Lets say every one of the top 20 decide to go. Why would we be sad for the PGA. 

Why is it hypothetical?   Why isn't the PGL more transparent?   

5 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Because one tour with the strongest talent is more interesting to watch than two strange tours with less strong in talent.  

I wouldn't be sad for the PGA.  I'd be sad for me/us, the viewers that would be stuck with these two weird tours that are both tainted.

• Like 3

• 1t2golf changed the title to PGL offers DJ, Rose $30 million each (***MERGED***)