Golf records that are safe

cristphoto

7 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Just because an achievement was done a century ago does not mean it could be done today.  Although breaking that Jones mark would be easier than breaking Nelson’s numbers.

And you have inside info that Tiger is using these or just want to tease something inflammatory….but of course you didn’t really say it?

Not necessarily, sure. .  But it doesn’t disprove it either for sure.  The fact that nobody who’s at that level remains an amateur long enough to find out means that it can’t be really argued to be impossible.  The Hagestads (spelling?) of the world aren’t at all on jones or tigers level.     

i understand the level of competition argument. And I agree with you somewhat.  Even for tiger. He wasn’t facing very many real opponents. He was basically fighting  to not beat himself. But- there’s also no doubt in my mind that I’d you plucked a 15 year old Bob Jones from his time and plunked him down now , finished raising him on today’s equipment, that he could be as great as he was then , now.  Most of it is between the ears.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

9 hours ago, bladehunter said:

You do know that 9 times it’s be won in consecutive years by the same person.  So 9 times almost done.  

on top of that 4 times it’s been won by consecutive people , lost one year and then won the next.  

And jones won it 24 25 27 28 30 ..... he almost won’t it 7 years in a row.  But did won it 5 out of 7.  5 out of 7 beats 3 in a row in my book.  And I guarantee you I’m a huge tiger fan.  

it’s not at all impossible.  

8D14F027-41B5-48FD-88FE-3A459956F487.png

almost? that's your argument? is this a joke? you just proved my point 126 years and no one has done it and you just laid out the evidence, thanks....How many junior ams did any of your examples win? you went back to 1882 to show it couldnt be done until Tiger, thanks...How many have won more than one since 1996?

Edited by freeze16172002

17 minutes ago, freeze16172002 said:

almost? that's your argument? is this a joke? you just proved my point 126 years and no one has done it and you just laid out the evidence, thanks....How many junior ams did any of your examples win? you went back to 1882 to show it couldnt be done until Tiger, thanks...How many have won more than one since 1996?

Lol.  No person is so blind as that one that REFUSES to see.  I showed you a mountain of people who were all over it.  Saying that it’s impossible, is purposely obtuse.  Improbable I already agreed with because nobody remains an Am these days long enough to try.  But impossible is literally disproven because tiger did it.  He’s not cyborg.  He’s human.  Therefore , it can be topped or equaled.  But likely won’t because of today’s circumstances. 

have fun with the foot pedal on that trolling motor.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

14 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Lol.  No person is so blind as that one that REFUSES to see.  I showed you a mountain of people who were all over it.  Saying that it’s impossible, is purposely obtuse.  Improbable I already agreed with because nobody remains an Am these days long enough to try.  But impossible is literally disproven because tiger did it.  He’s not cyborg.  He’s human.  Therefore , it can be topped or equaled.  But likely won’t because of today’s circumstances. 

have fun with the foot pedal on that trolling motor.  

you know you lost when all you have is name calling left. you showed a mountain of people that couldn't do it when they had the chance dating back 121 years. you keep providing evidence that proves you wrong.  and you still haven't provided one that won a junior am. Tiger won 6 national amateur titles in six consecutive years,  but you going back 121 years to show someone that won 2 in a row proves what? That it could be done again? In theory I could win the the US Amateur, I am human

22 hours ago, freeze16172002 said:

Tigers 6 amateur titles in 6 consecutive years

Lol 12 hours ago you edited this to move the goal posts. It was 3 us ams in a row.  That’s what I replied to.  Replied to another poster on the 3 us AMS. Not 6 of anything.  it’s there. Go back and read who I replied to , and when you came in.   

Now after I mention Spieth and his juniors , as an example of a person who might have won 3 if he stayed an am,  you edit to add 6 in row 🤦‍♂️  I rest my case on what your aim is.   

my opinion on this doesn’t carry more weight than yours.  But yours also doesn’t carry more weight than mine. We’re arguing over who’s peeing the farthest. And  im done  with it.  

Edited by bladehunter
Trying to explain what I responded to vs what he thinks I’m saying.
  • Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

20 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Lol 12 hours ago you edited this to move the goal posts. It was 3 us ams in a row.  That’s what I replied to.  Replied to another poster on the 3 us AMS. Not 6 of anything.  it’s there. Go back and read who I replied to , and when you came in.   

Now after I mention Spieth and his juniors , as an example of a person who might have won 3 if he stayed an am,  you edit to add 6 in row 🤦‍♂️  I rest my case on what your aim is.   

my opinion on this doesn’t carry more weight than yours.  But yours also doesn’t carry more weight than mine. We’re arguing over who’s peeing the farthest. And  im done  with it.  

why does my post say 22hrs ago, but you say 12hrs? that was posted on the first page before you posted on the thread, but nice try

Edited by freeze16172002

22 hours ago, golfandfishing said:

The 3 straight US Ams alone will be almost impossible to repeat. The amount of money available to a guy after just one is often too high to refuse, back to back titles now must be worth $15 million or more plus whatever they can make playing for prize money. 

explain how that was 12 hours ago

On 6/2/2021 at 7:17 AM, Dave230 said:

Bobby Jones won 50% of professional majors he ever finished (or 47% he ever played), finished in the top 2 of 73% of professional majors he ever played.

True, but how many of his competitors were working at hardware stores and selling insurance during the week? 😆 (Still, his records are eye-popping and he was clearly the GOAT of the first half of the 20th century).

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

14 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

He only injured one leg.  Tiger injured both.  Way harder to come back from what is essentially two shattered legs.  I had a client who had a very similar injury to Alex Smith.  It took him almost 2 years to recover.  He played in the minors and it took him almost 2 years to completely heal up.  This included all the time he had to spend in rehab.  He was taking all sorts of "supplements" to speed up recovery.  I would like to add that he was 26 at the time.  Tiger's leg injuries are way more serious than you think and he's in his mid 40's.  Takes longer to heal.   

Of the couple photo's I've seen Woods only had one leg wrapped up.  Has the other leg healed or had much less damage?   

I would say winning the US Open by 15 shots is pretty safe, along with the consecutive cut streak, and consecutive weeks at #1.

Side Note:  From 1997 through 2008, Woods was a combined 126 under par in majors. There are 138 other players who played at least 40 rounds in major championships in that span. Among that group, Woods was a staggering 189 shots better than anyone else. Second on the list: Joe Ogilvie, at 63 over.

SiM 2 10.5* GD Tour iZ 6s

TSR2 15* Tensei Blue

TSR2 18* Hybrid Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-P Pro Modus 105

Titleist SM9 Black 50, 54 & 58

Odyssey Protype iX #1 or TM Spider Hydro Blast slant neck

28 minutes ago, Whit1969 said:

I would say winning the US Open by 15 shots is pretty safe, along with the consecutive cut streak, and consecutive weeks at #1.

Side Note:  From 1997 through 2008, Woods was a combined 126 under par in majors. There are 138 other players who played at least 40 rounds in major championships in that span. Among that group, Woods was a staggering 189 shots better than anyone else. Second on the list: Joe Ogilvie, at 63 over.

Check it out. Largest winning margins in *any event.

TW got two, both are majors ; )

4974EFCD-44EF-4098-B7F5-08F21F11305E.png

6 hours ago, BobMorris said:

I dunno....if they add a slew of additional no-cut WGC events, and still consider them a made cut anyway, then I can see that record threatened. 😛

Weren't the events he played in with no cuts added into his total?  That would lower it a bit but still is a very high number otherwise. 

1 hour ago, cristphoto said:

Weren't the events he played in with no cuts added into his total?  That would lower it a bit but still is a very high number otherwise. 

Yes....definitely impressive whichever way you look at it. My personal opinion though, is that you can't "make" a cut, when there wasn't one to begin with. Those events shouldn't count against a players running total. Cut streaks can resume again when a player enters an event where a cut exists.

My $.02

2 hours ago, BobMorris said:

Yes....definitely impressive whichever way you look at it. My personal opinion though, is that you can't "make" a cut, when there wasn't one to begin with. Those events shouldn't count against a players running total. Cut streaks can resume again when a player enters an event where a cut exists.

Fair point but realize that the Byron Nelson cut streak had many events that had far less players than the WGC events. He was playing events that had 20-25 people in them. And TBH the Byron Nelson cut streak rally wasn't a normal cut streak as people view cuts today. The Nelson Cut streak was really how many consecutive events he finished in the money.

8 hours ago, grm24 said:

Fair point but realize that the Byron Nelson cut streak had many events that had far less players than the WGC events. He was playing events that had 20-25 people in them. And TBH the Byron Nelson cut streak rally wasn't a normal cut streak as people view cuts today. The Nelson Cut streak was really how many consecutive events he finished in the money.

I recall Arnold Palmer once saying that years ago you didn't earn a pay check unless you finished in the top 30 of a tournament. So you could make a cut, incur more hotel and caddy expenses and not get paid. In this odd scenario you would net more by missing the cut. 

The purses have definitely made professional golf more lucrative.  Sam Snead after winning the British Open was asked if he would enjoy defending his title the next year he said no way. His expenses to travel to England outweighed his winnings and in the end it was a business decision.   

2 hours ago, cristphoto said:

I recall Arnold Palmer once saying that years ago you didn't earn a pay check unless you finished in the top 30 of a tournament. So you could make a cut, incur more hotel and caddy expenses and not get paid. In this odd scenario you would net more by missing the cut. 

The purses have definitely made professional golf more lucrative.  Sam Snead after winning the British Open was asked if he would enjoy defending his title the next year he said no way. His expenses to travel to England outweighed his winnings and in the end it was a business decision.   

Nicklaus was the first player to concentrate on winning majors.  Prior to him the players were just trying to make a good living.

Imagine what more Hogan/Snead/Nelson could have done in majors if they used the same approach as Nicklaus.

1 hour ago, deadsolid...shank said:

That’s a golf(WRX) record right there that will never be broken., only extended.....the amount of times Shilgy will post that same thing. 

And yet many don’t seem to get it. But sure. Those 9 guys born in that one decade were just so good no one else had a chance. Wars and Great Depression has nothing to do with the lack of competition. Oops, sorry I mean their great domination.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar