2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

LPGA Morgan Pressel as commentator

SEP1006

On 7/8/2023 at 7:25 PM, Shane McIntosh said:

I find Morgan Pressels voice is grating/annoying and her commentary lessens the enjoyment of watching a tournament. Occasional silence is better than non stop babble. 

23 hours ago, Robert Wareham said:

Her high screeahing voice is a turn off.  She uses 100 words to say what other announcers say in 20 words.  I get upset when I see her on the telecast. The first 2 rounds of the women’s open were a joy because Paige was on the telecast.  Judy Rankin was my favorite announcer for the women’s game. Now I’m forced to turn the sound off if Morgan is on the telecast.  What a shame.

6 hours ago, SEP1006 said:

You guys are spot on, she just babbles and babbles. Jeez, take a breath every now and then. She is even more annoying than Azinger and that's hard to do.

1 hour ago, GolfGuitarsCars said:

Maybe it’s her voice or maybe she just talks too much but I’m about to mute my TV.

1 hour ago, mshills said:

It’s not her voice. It’s overuse of her voice. 

32 minutes ago, ebomb said:

She's terrible man.  Doesn't matter how old or how many posts the joiner had Voice is annoying and never shuts up.  Over analyzes everything.  I want to watch the rest of this but I can't  take it anymore 

20 minutes ago, TrendingLower2 said:

She just talks way too much. Please stop!

9 minutes ago, gsrjc said:

She is terrible 

These all deserved 2nd mentions.  She is beyond horrible.  

while I can’t fault anyone for their natural voice.  I can fault the producers who think it’s a good idea to put her on the air.

And I can fault her for thinking she has to explain the obvious to us.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

1 hour ago, Bad9 said:

Every time I check into this thread I'm shocked at the amount of vitriol from a bunch of middle aged + men towards a female golf announcer. Undoubtedly guys who would consider themselves good people. There's a few recent joiners whose first and only post is to crap in a golf announcer.

I'd stop checking into this thread if you don't like it, it's pretty obvious the chatter isn't going to be positive.

• Like 2

I find her commentary annoying for the same reason as many current announcers. I prefer announcers describing the action, not what they think a player is thinking, should do, or ‘when I spoke with __ last night…” Its condescending and annoying. Talk about the length of the putt, the break, the shot. When everything is ‘special’, nothing is. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Halo25 said:

Leona was born in Northern Ireland which is owned by England so she is not entirely wrong. It's weird over there like how Rory claims Northern Ireland and not just Ireland.

No, she was wrong, Leona was born in the Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland isn't owned by England, it is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UK).

She lived across the border in county Fermanagh in Northern Ireland for a few years as a child, though.

The whole Ireland/Northern Ireland situation is complex. If you are Northern Irish you can have a UK passport, an Irish one or both, subject to various qualifications and rules.

Now consider that Golf Ireland covers golf administration for the entire island of Ireland.

At the last Olympics Leona (Republic of Ireland) and Steph Meadow (Northern Ireland) represented Ireland.

• Like 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

12 hours ago, Klip said:

I find her commentary annoying for the same reason as many current announcers. I prefer announcers describing the action, not what they think a player is thinking, should do, or ‘when I spoke with __ last night…” Its condescending and annoying. Talk about the length of the putt, the break, the shot. When everything is ‘special’, nothing is. 

Of all the criticism she gets here, much of it deserved unfortunately, this is where that goes off the rails. If she spoke to a player previously, why should she not tell us what that player was thinking? The criticism would only be valid if she did not do that and was speculating. Where she gets into trouble (as do Azinger and others) is when she starts to project what she might do onto a player with very different strengths and weaknesses. Most golf announcers seem to feel the need to say *something* as if they are terrified of silence. That is a fatal mistake for most. They are not calling a hockey or basketball game with constant action.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 8:45 PM, Robert Wareham said:

Her high screeahing voice is a turn off.  She uses 100 words to say what other announcers say in 20 words.  I get upset when I see her on the telecast. The first 2 rounds of the women’s open were a joy because Paige was on the telecast.  Judy Rankin was my favorite announcer for the women’s game. Now I’m forced to turn the sound off if Morgan is on the telecast.  What a shame.

You don't hear people saying that listening to Paige MacKenzie was a joy very often. She is the only one currently with NBC/GC who comes close to the Pressel level of annoyance. Though a couple of their other female talking heads with very thick British accents that make them almost unintelligible come close.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg_B said:

You don't hear people saying that listening to Paige MacKenzie was a joy very often. She is the only one currently with NBC/GC who comes close to the Pressel level of annoyance. Though a couple of their other female talking heads with very thick British accents that make them almost unintelligible come close.

This ^

A very concise and accurate summary.

Although I'd throw in the male talking head Tom Abbott as well.

Another guy that sounds like he's trying to do a Davey Jones impression.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

3 hours ago, Greg_B said:

I'll admit that Paige Mackenzie isn't anywhere close to a Judy Rankin. But she is far more tolerable than Morgan Pressel.

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra Shaft

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

2 hours ago, 8602081 said:

Morgan did a fine job.. She will get better as she does more.

We have a different definition of fine then 🙂    But that's ok, I just personally found almost everything she said, totally obvious and not adding any insight. Some great commentary I recall:

"That's a brutal lie"

"She has a lot of green to work with"

"She really needs this putt"

"That's not the worst lie in the world" 

Of course I know many commentators on the PGA Tour are just as bad with those cliché's   but just her overall over emphasizing things.  Her opening comments when  they came on the air went on for 3 or 4 minutes about how wonderful it was they were playing at Pebble.   Dan Hicks was just looking at her like....."Are you ever going to stop talking" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I think Paige is very good and is easy to listen to. She is smart articulate pleasant and has a pretty good sense of humor. She also does a good job of analyzing swings and what a certain shot calls for. 

I think Morgan Pressel is the complete opposite. She is not good at this and this experiment needs to end. It seems I am in the majority.

Tom Abbott wouldn’t be missed either. 

Edited by Tailgater
  • Like 1

Married to Callaway Clubs but I cheat with Nike Clubs on occasion.

3 hours ago, Tailgater said:

I think Paige is very good and is easy to listen to. She is smart articulate pleasant and has a pretty good sense of humor. She also does a good job of analyzing swings and what a certain shot calls for. 

I think Morgan Pressel is the complete opposite. She is not good at this and this experiment needs to end. It seems I am in the majority.

Tom Abbott wouldn’t be missed either. 

Definitely agree with the above on Paige and Morgan both. But I really don't mind Abbott so much, really has a dry sense of humor.

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra Shaft

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

5 hours ago, Ferguson said:

She makes one hell of peach cobbler.

image.png.2f1bbc775a2d04ea93371a084339ba9a.png

Commentating, not so much.

Mr. Larry King!

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

16 hours ago, caniac6 said:

She and Azinger should go to LIV.

You leave the LIV commentary as it is - much better than any other golf coverage.

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

I have grown to not mind Morgan.  I don't know if her voice has improved or I'm just getting used to it, but it doesn't bother me too much anymore. I agree that she often over emphasizes comments in an awkward way, and the frozen smile is somewhat strange.  But overall, I am fine with her.  She also kicked butt in that Peloton celebrity athlete competition against some legit athletes, which was impressive and spoke to her competitiveness.  

Paige is intolerable.  Her staccato, partial sentence, hesitant delivery is awful.  She often catches herself saying "umm" and it comes out as a weird grunt.  Her delivery is just awful.  

Judy is the gold standard, and I'd be thrilled to have Iona Stephen doing commentary on this side of the pond.  I could listen to her all day.  She's a rising star.

As for the guys, I find Grant Boone extremely knowledgable and easy to listen to.  I appreciate how hard he works to pronounce names correctly and to learn about so many players' backgrounds. 

I also really enjoy Tom Abbott.  His dry sense of humor and self deprecation are wonderful. 

Jim Gallagher often sounds like he's talking to us from underwater with a mouth full of marbles, but he knows a ton about the women's game and golf generally.  He's also quite funny.    

• Like 3

On 6/22/2023 at 11:50 AM, sui generis said:

At least she's literate. For example, she seems to know how to conjugate a verb and the difference between an adjective and an adverb. The same cannot be said for Azinger.

She is better than Azinger. I’ll give you that. 

Married to Callaway Clubs but I cheat with Nike Clubs on occasion.