How many majors would Gary Player win today? Who is a good comp?

Fairways_and_Greens

On 6/14/2021 at 8:27 PM, bscinstnct said:

You should have thrown him off the patio and into to bushes.

🤣

Cheers Richard. Post more often! 🍻 

Hahaha, it's funny that you say that because we were sitting at a table up against the railing overlooking the men's putting green(yes, they still have a men's putting green outside the men's locker room and I've actually had women get upset with me because I see nothing wrong with that) and the first tee and  Richard hit a nice drive and Gary started clapping and then he waved his white cloth napkin around above his head, hahaha. Richard turned around, looked up at us and said "bro, this ain't a Steelers game," hahaha. Gary thought that it was great that Richard called him "bro" and he asked me if I thought that he embarrassed Richard by doing that and I said heavens no, that it takes a lot more than that to embarrass Richard and besides, that probably emboldened Richard, hahaha. Oh, and Gary knew that Richard was a member and was just being kind as there were dining room and wait staff employees around. Sometimes Richard and his friends are jerks, haha. I hope that you're well B, I miss posting with you and the guys🤗M

Edited by nikegal
  • Like 4

On 6/15/2021 at 8:03 PM, rob0225 said:

It's a futile exercise to ponder these type of questions.  Impossible to answer, it's just a waste of time and brain cells.

"if" doesn't cause brain cells to disappear, or lose function ... for most people, that is ... 

200.gif

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 11:02 PM, nikegal said:

Hahaha, it's funny that you say that because we were sitting at a table up against the railing overlooking the men's putting green(yes, they still have a men's putting green outside the men's locker room and I've actually had women get upset with me because I see nothing wrong with that) and the first tee and  Richard hit a nice drive and Gary started clapping and then he waved his white cloth napkin around above his head, hahaha. Richard turned around, looked up at us and said "bro, this ain't a Steelers game," hahaha. Gary thought that it was great that Richard called him "bro" and he asked me if I thought that he embarrassed Richard by doing that and I said heavens no, that it takes a lot more than that to embarrass Richard and besides, that probably emboldened Richard, hahaha. Oh, and Gary knew that Richard was a member and was just being kind as there were dining room and wait staff employees around. Sometimes Richard and his friends are jerks, haha. I hope that you're well B, I miss posting with you and the guys🤗M

I knew that he knew, I was trying to be cute, though at the time, I did not process it that way, lol

Also, I think a lot of his "me, me, me" comes from some insecurity that he had/has about his place in the Big-3 cuz he made a few comments that led me to believe(and if she's honest, Maddie too😂) that he had a chip about his ranking/standing in those three. One was when we were down on the line and a couple of HS kids, both Players, stopped to talk to me about the upcoming Club Championship and Gary was hitting wedges next to me. The exchange was only a minute or so, tops, and as he turned around, he caught eyes with the one kid, smiled and said "hello," the boy returned the smile and greeting and then they were off. 

They were both Plusses, but more importantly to me, both great kids, and I made a comment to Gary that with kids like them around, the game would be in good hands in the future. Instead of responding along the lines of my statement, he said "I bet if I were Arnold or Jack that boy would have recognized me," automatically assuming that just cuz the boy didn't ooh, ahh and fawn over him or ask him for a signed ball or something that he didn't recognize him. He sorta laughed and went back to hitting balls, though he was serious. 

WTF????

Just think about that response and it tells you all that you need to know about his personality. I did tell him that they probably recognized him(I have no idea as that encounter or Gary never came up in any future conversations with either boy), though like myself when I was younger and introduced to celebrities, I was taught to act as though I'd been there before, been around them before, and to treat them as I would any adult that I was introduced to. I know that they were raised the same way.

I did tell him another time when he made a similar comment that he was not going apples to apples in his comparison cuz both Jack and Mr. Palmer were home town/country) boys, born, bred and made in the USA, and as such, obviously the usual fan sentiments would tip in their favor, and it would be like if they were in South Africa and commented that they would not be as recognized or "loved" as Gary obviously was. I then asked him if he'd ever been treated disrespectfully and he did say no, other than the usual stuff when he was in contention against them and the "roars" would be louder for them. Again I stated that they were the "home" team and he was the "visitor" and obviously their fans' numbers exceeded his in the USA. He didn't really respond and just smiled and shrugged. I also said that "they adore you at Agausta" and he laughed and replied "I don't know about that," lolol

C'mon, WTF??? 

I'm 25+ years his Junior and I shouldn't have had to make that observation to the guy. He should have KNOWN that!! Be that as it may, Madison is correct in why my feelings are what they are about him. Also, I know for a fact that Jack didn't buy his defenses/excuses however he never made a negative comment or inference beyond that about the man. NEVER, and the opportunities were there to do so. Now THERE is a Class Act🤙!!

That was funny as sh*t when he was sittin there waving that stupid napkin around😂😂🤙

I can't believe that I forgot this or Maddie didn't mention it however even though I introduced myself as "Richard, he always referred to me as "Richie," lol. WTF??? Now THAT bugged me as the only person who ever referred to me by that name is my Best Bud's Father, who's Italian, and he adds that "ie"/"y" to everyone's name, lol. GP never called Madison, "Maddie," only by her full name. Just me!! Lol, maybe I'm the one with the complex😂🤪

Apologies F&G for the derailment🤪 I'll STFU and let you guys discuss the topic😊🤙👊

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends
RP

5750C221-2151-4187-9957-79C458C661EA.jpeg

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

27 minutes ago, gvogel said:

Ask Tom Watson.

Yeah I read that last week.  So he was controversial like Reed. 

• Haha 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

35 minutes ago, Scotty1140 said:

Player was really into fitness. Ahead of his time for a golfer you'd say. I'd imagine today he'd be a linebacker.

Naw, he would probably have the body of your typical NBA player minus the height IMO. 

• Haha 1

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

If he grew up in this era he probably finds a way to swing the club like Justin Thomas. They are about the same size 

• Like 1

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

2 hours ago, kasting333 said:

If he grew up in this era he probably finds a way to swing the club like Justin Thomas. They are about the same size 

While I whole heartedly agree that had GP been in this era, he would have found a swing to successfully compete and win on Tour, JT is 5'10", 160lbs. and Gary Player, back in the day was 5'6", a buck forty five, fifty tops. He said that when he traveled he hit 150, never over(plus, he wouldn't admit it he did go over😂), cuz he didn't eat as well or as healthy as he did at home. 

Maddie is 5'6" and he was an easy inch or two shorter than her though that is natural as our spine undergoes a forward curvature as we age and that presents as that stopped posture, which he most definitely exhibits.

GP's height is closer to Brian Harmon's(5'7") or Ian Woodnam(5'4") than Justin Thomas, though you had a great point that he "finds a way" to get it done in today's game🤙!!

Have a great day👊
RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 2

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

3 hours ago, gvogel said:

Ask Tom Watson.

Nahhhhh, you don't wanna do that😂😂😂

Stay Well👊
RP

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Forged4ever said:

While I whole heartedly agree that had GP been in this era, he would have found a swing to successfully compete and win on Tour, JT is 5'10", 160lbs. and Gary Player, back in the day was 5'6", a buck forty five, fifty tops. He said that when he traveled he hit 150, never over(plus, he wouldn't admit it he did go over😂), cuz he didn't eat as well or as healthy as he did at home. 

Maddie is 5'6" and he was an easy inch or two shorter than her though that is natural as our spine undergoes a forward curvature as we age and that presents as that stopped posture, which he most definitely exhibits.

GP's height is closer to Brian Harmon's(5'7") or Ian Woodnam(5'4") than Justin Thomas, though you had a great point that he "finds a way" to get it done in today's game🤙!!

Have a great day👊
RP

JT is 5’8” max with the arms of a woman and the chest of a child

Edited by kasting333
  • Haha 3

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x

Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Tour BX S

1 hour ago, kasting333 said:

JT is 5’8” max with the arms of a woman and the chest of a child

Ouch.  I doubt JT is 5'8.  I'm 5'7 and JT's legs are way longer than mine.  He's probably closer to 5'9-5'10. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forged4ever said:

Well then, at three bills plus, he's the longest hitting hermaphrodite on earth🌎😊

Cheers🍻

RP

Agreed. Hell of a swing for a herm

• Haha 1

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x

Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Tour BX S

1 hour ago, gvogel said:

That made me laugh!

Me too cuz when I asked him about GP, well, Madison was with us at dinner and I'll leave it that afterward, she said "don't you EVER bring his name up again to Tom,"😂😂😂

Hey, ya live and ya learn🤷🏻‍♂️

Stay wel GV👊
RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Haha 1

The personality traits that made him so ferocious and successful on the course probably undercut him in his many social dealings. 

He always seemed comported, aware that he was being regarded in a somewhat critical light. I get the vibe that he felt grateful to but a little slighted by the golf world. 

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

On 6/13/2021 at 6:24 PM, farmer said:

The man was a superb ballstriker, great putter, fantastic short game and one of the half-dozen or so all time great sand artists.  Maybe a little shorter than avg for his time, but not long.  Interpolating his game to today, no way to guess.  He was a fierce competitor, not afraid of anyone or intimidated by anyone.  I saw him at his prime, the man could play, he would be in the running in every major, so he might nab 9 majors.

How about Webb Simpson? Also a great ball striker, great putter, #1 in scrambling on PGA Tour this year, shorter than average....but not by much. He has ice in his veins. Does his thing and isn't changing what works for him. He might not be on the 1st page of the leaderboard (yet) in the majors, but he's the one that comes to mind as you name these characteristics of Gary Player (which should be infinitely more credible than the others on this thread given you saw him play)

• Like 1

Like him or not he was absolutely ruthless in his determination to compete around the world and beat the best.   He did what he needed to do during his era to get the job done and I have no doubt he would have adapted to today's game accordingly and do exactly the same.  Some people focus too much on technology, distance, ball striking etc. and forget how much steel the likes of Nicklaus, Player, Watson, etc. had between the ears when they competed.  

On 6/20/2021 at 10:40 PM, putterboy75 said:

How about Webb Simpson? Also a great ball striker, great putter, #1 in scrambling on PGA Tour this year, shorter than average....but not by much. He has ice in his veins. Does his thing and isn't changing what works for him. He might not be on the 1st page of the leaderboard (yet) in the majors, but he's the one that comes to mind as you name these characteristics of Gary Player (which should be infinitely more credible than the others on this thread given you saw him play)

Excellent comparison……so one is the answer to the OP? And Webb would have excelled back in the day if eras were reversed. Imo 

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Perhaps only Jack's game would hold up tour today because he was long, but I don't think he would be winning much because the talent is so deep today. The game has evolved so much to higher levels because of instruction, knowledge, access to knowledge, equipment, better/more specific fitness/strength, big tall athletes are drawn more to golf than before, much longer courses, etc, etc. 

51 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Excellent comparison……so one is the answer to the OP? And Webb would have excelled back in the day if eras were reversed. Imo 

I think you're serious (as opposed to sarcastic) in agreeing with me. Webb's not done yet though so only time will tell if he can move closer to GP's major count from his current single title. I was just thinking of playing style as described above by @farmer which made me think of Webb right away.

• Like 1