How far do you hit you 7 iron?

According to Arccos, my standard is 154m - about 169 yards. Longest is 194m/212y but that kind of distance is unusual.

Those stats are for the lifetime of the club, but if we look at the last ten rounds then my average goes up by 2m and my longest comes down by 20.

My 7 iron is a Titleist T100 at 34 degrees. I play at sea-ish level and while Arccos measures total distance, I don't often use my 7 iron for anything other than hitting greens and it stops very quickly, soo... the figures might be total, but they're basically carry, too.

image.png.b27f05393ba730e0d451eab41db94ce3.png

Edited by steventoo

Titleist TSi3 9*          | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Titleist 2021 T200 2 iron | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 100X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 50.08F          | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 56.08M, 62.08M  | Dynamic Gold S400

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom    | Accra x LAB

5 hours ago, steventoo said:

According to Arccos, my standard is 154m - about 169 yards. Longest is 194m/212y but that kind of distance is unusual.

Those stats are for the lifetime of the club, but if we look at the last ten rounds then my average goes up by 2m and my longest comes down by 20.

My 7 iron is a Titleist T100 at 34 degrees. I play at sea-ish level and while Arccos measures total distance, I don't often use my 7 iron for anything other than hitting greens and it stops very quickly, soo... the figures might be total, but they're basically carry, too.

image.png.b27f05393ba730e0d451eab41db94ce3.png

I've got arccos too, but too bad gps can't measure carry

2 hours ago, berndgeurts said:

I've got arccos too, but too bad gps can't measure carry

We have to assume most people who know their carry numbers own and use a launch monitor, or use their driving range numbers? I’d be careful using driving range numbers.

One posted mentioned hitting 170 on the driving range and roughly 10 yards shorter on the course. Could be that he’s more “warmed up” or simply that the balls spin less. All that varies from range to range.

It seems that carry is best measured on the course to a green or through use of a launch monitor?

Get some tools and turn the 3 into an 8 on the bottom of the club. Tell your playing partners you don't carry a 7 because it goes too far. 

Smack your 8 iron 220 and become a club legend. Do not hit a driver though as you will look very silly.

Also come to think of it your wedges and 9 iron will also shatter the illusion and your reputation.

Hit your 8 iron off the first 220 yards walk down the fairway head held high. Pretend to pull a hamstring. Limp off the course and never return.

What happened to that bloke who could smash his irons longer than the pros?

Great golfer weak muscles crying shame could have made it on the tour.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lincoln_Arcadia said:

One posted mentioned hitting 170 on the driving range and roughly 10 yards shorter on the course. Could be that he’s more “warmed up” or simply that the balls spin less. All that varies from range to range.

I actually swing harder on the range and softer too. I purposely throttle back on the course. I practice outside of comfort and push limits. I play within limits without steering shots. Chasing ball speed leads to better, more efficient swing. Call it what you want, ego, whatever, as some suggested, getting the most out of effort used is what one ought to be doing. 

my 7 clubs labeled 4-P on the bottom with lofts from 22-46* in 4* increments have stock ranges from 145-235 yards in 15y gaps. That would put my 4th lowest loft and 4th highest lofted iron at 190y.

Edited by Rosco1216

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

1 hour ago, Lincoln_Arcadia said:

It seems that carry is best measured on the course to a green or through use of a launch monitor?

"Course to a green", absolutely yes. Also, the carry yardages change from day to day depending on air temperature, wind, elevation  etc.... so it's best for a player to use the first few holes of a round to become aware of what he's got that day.

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

1 hour ago, Lincoln_Arcadia said:

We have to assume most people who know their carry numbers own and use a launch monitor, or use their driving range numbers? I’d be careful using driving range numbers.

I roughly know my carry from launch monitors and conditions without roll. In the Netherlands courses can get saturated quickly because of the clay underground and you'll often find your ball next to your ballcrater (yes a crater🙃).

6 minutes ago, berndgeurts said:

I roughly know my carry from launch monitors and conditions without roll. In the Netherlands courses can get saturated quickly because of the clay underground and you'll often find your ball next to your ballcrater (yes a crater🙃).

Yeah, I can't be totally sure of my carry distances in the summer time when fairways and greens are super firm. But I know them exactly in the winter when the course is waterlogged!

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 5:57 AM, MonteScheinblum said:

You guys have some wonderful 5 and 6 irons with 7 stamped on it. 🤪

Mine is 36*

There is too much emphasis on what number is on the bottom of the club.  These buffed lofts are causing issues at the bottom of the bag with distance gaps on short irons.

With iron sets that have 30 and 32 degree 7 irons, there is going to be one huge gap at the bottom of the bag…or you have to carry 5 wedges.

This is nothing more than companies being able to advertise their irons go farther.

There is definitely some truth to that, but there's some nuance you're missing. After going from Titleist AP2 710's to Ping i500's , I realized loft jacking isn't as simple as stamping a 7 on a 6iron etc. 

My i500 7 iron, while having a stronger loft, still launches as high if not higher that my Ap2 7iron while maintaining an equal dispersion. 

I play my new 7 iron as a 165 club that can end up a bit farther depending on condition and lie. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cleverprimate24 said:

There is definitely some truth to that, but there's some nuance you're missing. After going from Titleist AP2 710's to Ping i500's , I realized loft jacking isn't as simple as stamping a 7 on a 6iron etc. 

My i500 7 iron, while having a stronger loft, still launches as high if not higher that my Ap2 7iron while maintaining an equal dispersion. 

I play my new 7 iron as a 165 club that can end up a bit farther depending on condition and lie. 

You’re missing a nuance.

I spent several hours a day watching golfers on a launch monitor I’m playing golf with them

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

There are a lot of people on this thread that hit a 7-iron a LONG way. There’s been discussion already about what this means for the bottom of your bag, but I’m curious about the longer clubs. 

How far are you all hitting your 4-irons? And are most of you + handicappers?

Because if you can carry a 7 175+, then that should translate into carry numbers something like this for the longer clubs:

• 4 iron: 210–220
  • 2 hybrid/driving iron: 235–250
  • 3 wood: 260+ ?
  • Driver: LONG!

Are people really hitting their hybrids or driving irons close to 250? Or are folks jumping from a “6 iron” that goes 180 straight to some sort of 3 hybrid that goes 200? 

I guess the thread I’d want to start in response to this one is: how far do you carry the longest iron you can hit off the ground. The meaning of the 180-yard 7-iron would then be put in context. The player who can carry a 3-iron off the ground 220 is VERY different from the one whose longest iron off the ground goes 190. And it really doesn’t matter if the latter player can mash a gap wedge 140 yards. (Hitting short irons a long way doesn’t make you a long hitter.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MonteScheinblum said:

You’re missing a nuance.

I spent several hours a day watching golfers on a launch monitor I’m playing golf with them

My irons were fit by a woman who won LPGA National teacher of the year who was using a GCQuad. She knows what she's doing. 

Note:

Now obviously, if I see someone hitting with a more traditional lofted iron and I hit the same iron further I know it's bc of the loft. That doesn't mean there aren't performance benefits with some of the modern players distance irons that go above and beyond changing the number on the bottom. 

Edited by cleverprimate24

6 minutes ago, fronesis said:

There are a lot of people on this thread that hit a 7-iron a LONG way. There’s been discussion already about what this means for the bottom of your bag, but I’m curious about the longer clubs. 

Because if you can carry a 7 175+, then that should translate into carry numbers something like this for the longer clubs:

Are people really hitting their hybrids or driving irons close to 250? Or are folks jumping from a “6 iron” that goes 180 straight to some sort of 3 hybrid that goes 200? 

I guess the thread I’d want to start in response to this one is: how far do you carry the longest iron you can hit off the ground. The meaning of the 180-yard 7-iron would then be put in context. The player who can carry a 3-iron off the ground 220 is VERY different from the one whose longest iron off the ground goes 190. And it really doesn’t matter if the latter player can mash a gap wedge 140 yards. (Hitting short irons a long way doesn’t make you a long hitter.)

This is WRX, don't you know you either hit big or say you do?  Also, I noticed Monte hasn't posted his 7i stock carry.  But if I had to guess, I'd say 2 bills.  There was a guy I played with every once in a while who played Titleist blades.  Every club had that nice nickel sized wear spot on them.  His carry distance for a driver was 290 and I remember playing a long (for me) par 3 where I hit a hybrid and he hit a 7i, flag was 190 away...  I have also watched him hit a 2h off the deck that rolled up to a green that was 250 away.  

• Like 1

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

22 minutes ago, fronesis said:

7i 165yd. 4i 190 yds. 3h 200yds. 3w 225yds. Driver 250 yds. 

Carry. 

Thought of one thing about the actual distance I can hit a 7 iron, as opposed to what club I will actually use.

So my distance for a full 7 iron is 170.  Have a shot with 173 yards to the pin with a center green location & no weather influence or obstructions with the shot.  Would guess the majority here would hit the 7 iron.  Myself, I would choose the 6 iron because I can control the ball better with taking the 6 iron back to around the 10:30 clock face location.  The ball will roll out just a bit more but, I should end up getting the ball closer to the hole doing this way than a full 7 iron shot.  

Kind of trying to use this for an example of knowing distances & flight characteristics with said club matter way more than the number stamper on the bottom.  

44 minutes ago, cleverprimate24 said:

My irons were fit by a woman who won LPGA National teacher of the year who was using a GCQuad. She knows what she's doing. 

Note:

Now obviously, if I see someone hitting with a more traditional lofted iron and I hit the same iron further I know it's bc of the loft. That doesn't mean there aren't performance benefits with some of the modern players distance irons that go above and beyond changing the number on the bottom. 

That was a move of the goalposts and a straw man.

You told me there was a nuance I was missing and I only addressed that comment.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

1 hour ago, MonteScheinblum said:

That was a move of the goalposts and a straw man.

You told me there was a nuance I was missing and I only addressed that comment.

I guess I don't understand what your original comment was supposed to mean then. I thought you were saying you've watched a launch monitor and that there was no validity in the fact that certain strong lofted irons are capable of the same height and descent angle as traditional lofted irons, meanwhile still going further. 

And my response was a highly trained user of a GC Quad, backed up my anecdotal evidence. Not sure how that's a strawman, unless I misunderstood your critique. 

Carry: 

7i: 160Y

Driver: 260Y

Ball park figures - haven't been on a simulator for a while. 

When I first started last October, I thought my driver distance was too low compared to the rest of my clubs, which it was due to all the side spin I was putting on there. After 6 months of constant tweaking my swing, now I feel like I'm losing distance on my irons since I'm not getting the same compression as when I was first starting. Now I'm just focusing on delaying the right arm release until after my swing so that I can hit higher on the groves. 

Always something to work on I suppose. Love this game. 

48 minutes ago, cleverprimate24 said:

I guess I don't understand what your original comment was supposed to mean then. I thought you were saying you've watched a launch monitor and that there was no validity in the fact that certain strong lofted irons are capable of the same height and descent angle as traditional lofted irons, meanwhile still going further. 

And my response was a highly trained user of a GC Quad, backed up my anecdotal evidence. Not sure how that's a strawman, unless I misunderstood your critique. 

The whole discussion/argument always devolves into silliness. Partly because most irons with super wide soles, big head, hot faces and every GI feature known to man also have so-called "jacked lofts". And most irons with "traditional lofts" do have at most a little tungsten weight or a cavity back without the other GI features. 

So you guys end up debating which of two very different clubs (i.e. a 7-iron with 27 degrees of loft and all sorts of trajectory enhancing features versus a 7-iron with 32 degrees of loft built to help good players flight their iron shots) might hit the ball higher or lower for a good player or a weak player and so forth and so on. There's no all-else-equal experiment going on here. It's like a debate over Godzilla vs. Batman, who would win in a fight. 

For me all that matters is what I see when I hit a shot from the 150 plate in the fairway that needs to carry a bunker and stop on a firm green. I don't care if the club says 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or the square root of two on the sole. And I don't care if it has 27 degrees or 32 degrees or 29.96 degrees of loft. I want to see if I can hit the ball straight and high and get it to stop somewhere near the hole. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, North Butte said:

The whole discussion/argument always devolves into silliness. Partly because most irons with super wide soles, big head, hot faces and every GI feature known to man also have so-called "jacked lofts". And most irons with "traditional lofts" do have at most a little tungsten weight or a cavity back without the other GI features. 

So you guys end up debating which of two very different clubs (i.e. a 7-iron with 27 degrees of loft and all sorts of trajectory enhancing features versus a 7-iron with 32 degrees of loft built to help good players flight their iron shots) might hit the ball higher or lower for a good player or a weak player and so forth and so on. There's no all-else-equal experiment going on here. It's like a debate over Godzilla vs. Batman, who would win in a fight. 

For me all that matters is what I see when I hit a shot from the 150 plate in the fairway that needs to carry a bunker and stop on a firm green. I don't care if the club says 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or the square root of two on the sole. And I don't care if it has 27 degrees or 32 degrees or 29.96 degrees of loft. I want to see if I can hit the ball straight and high and get it to stop somewhere near the hole. 

Yeah, I agree almost entirely with this sentiment. Fortunately, there's now some options that have some of the GI tech packed in a players looking package. i500, Apex, P770 etc. 

For me, I get benefit from the players distance category. It goes 15 yards farther, looks just as "players" from address and the bag, and has almost identical stopping power for me. 

Edited by cleverprimate24