PING G430 - Are They Finally Going Back to a Carbon Fiber Crown?

BubbaBallesteros

On 7/24/2022 at 11:44 AM, Notashank said:

G425 are right up your ally. Not small. 

Had them and hated them.

Not near the club that the G400 was or the I210's

Ping G430 10.5, Ventus Red 60
TM 16.5 HL Wood,  Fuji Red TR 70
TM 7 wood,  Fuji Red TR 70

Ping G430  Hybrid # 22
PXG Gen 6 XP irons 5-GW with MMT 95 shafts

TM M4 54 & 58 Wedges

Odyssey Versa M5  Putter

15 hours ago, Ghostwedge said:

Turbs frame the ball nicely. Shouldn't be a deal breaker, the sound, maybe.

I totally agree about the turbulators framing the ball. I was struggling with a heel strike on my drives before I put the G410 LST in the bag and the turbulators really helped me focus on where I had the ball aligned on the face at address. Now I find the center of the face way more often and man that thing flies. Personally I really hope they don't get rid of them moving forward.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShortSticks said:

My hope is they take the left bias out of the MAX version this time. I really struggled with a big left miss with the G425 MAX before giving up on it after a year of struggles. I have thought about trying a G410 PLUS as I have heard it does not have a left bias, but never tried one.

Or….flat setting and a massive CG move to the toe may have helped.

FWIW I didn’t find the Max left biased and that’s my miss is the extra 10 yard draw 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, joeymack14 said:

I totally agree about the turbulators framing the ball. I was struggling with a heel strike on my drives before I put the G410 LST in the bag and the turbulators really helped me focus on where I had the ball aligned on the face at address. Now I find the center of the face way more often and man that thing flies. Personally I really hope they don't get rid of them moving forward.

Ping doesn't do pretty first, the Turbs are on there because they actually work.

It might only be for one mph more ball speed and two yards of distance but its still a benefit. 

Looking forward to the next driver roll out. I'm still with the G400 as I like the smaller profile head. The G400 Max was the first driver to kick Titleist  out of my son's bag in years. 

• Like 1

I have to think, if they are going to a carbon fiber top, that the turbulators will be be gone.

If they offer the same adapter, no turbulators and a couple more yards, I'd be very tempted to make the jump from my G410 LST, which i am in love with. 

Then again, maybe not.  This G410 LST is really all I was ever looking for (out of a driver) once I got the right shaft and head weight dialed in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

Or….flat setting and a massive CG move to the toe may have helped.

FWIW I didn’t find the Max left biased and that’s my miss is the extra 10 yard draw 

I tried flat and big weight in toe and some hot melt and it STILL wants to hook

so could NOT agree more with you 

remove the draw bias PLEASE

400 had very little, 410 bit more and 425 was brutal 

reverse Course please

thanks

• Like 2

Release the pictures!

WITB

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 LS - Ventus TR Blue 6x (44 3/4)

3 Wood: Taylormade M2 - Ventus TR Blue 7x

3 Utility: Srixon MKII - Graphite Design DI 95x

Irons: Cobra Tour 4-PW LA Golf L Series 120x

Wedges: Cobra SB 50, 54, 58 LA Golf L Series Wedge flex

Putter: Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini

Balls: TP5X

1 hour ago, wheelergj2003 said:

Doesn't matter if if it performs better - hopefully it just sounds better.  The 425 is the worst sounding driver ever produced

Not the worst sounding driver ever (enter Nike Sumo). The real pain point here, particularly for the Ping faithful, is that it surely must be the worst sounding great driver ever. Ping engineers are super crafty though, so expect a major improvement in this area for the G430.

On 7/26/2022 at 6:51 PM, bopper53 said:

Had them and hated them.

Not near the club that the G400 was or the I210's

I played all 3 of those irons. The G400 definitely stands out for being bigger, bulkier, more offset. I was surprised at how much the G425's were slimmed down, shortened heel to toe when I had them both in my hands at the same time (I skipped the G410's, never really even looked at them). I do think the G425's were a little more clicky and I didn't love that about them. 

20 hours ago, wheelergj2003 said:

Doesn't matter if if it performs better - hopefully it just sounds better.  The 425 is the worst sounding driver ever produced

I hotmelt more Ping heads in my shop in 1 year than all other manufactures combined in the last 5 years lol.  Not kidding.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

21 hours ago, wheelergj2003 said:

True that you don't buy a Ping 425 driver for the way it sounds at impact without melt, unless you're in the "it's louder so it must be longer" crowd. (Trust me, they're still out there in droves; see them at every fitting event.)

However, anybody old enough to remember the Nike SQ Square would rightly disagree. That abomination caused more hearing loss in the golf community than we'll ever fully know.

Meme Reaction GIF by Travis

Edited by bcflyguy1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Meh, too busy. I will stick with my G425. 

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 10.5 degrees HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch 60 6.0

3 Wood: Ping G410 LST 14.5 degrees HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch 70 6.0

5 wood: Ping G430 MAX 18 degrees Diamana GT 70S

4-PW: Ping i230 Nippon Pro Modus 120S

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 (52, 56), Ping Glide 2.0 (60) Nippon Pro Modus 120S

Putter: Piretti 801R Tour Only 303SS Prototype

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I had a G425 Max and had it hotmelted and still didn't like the sound. Got rid of it after 2 rounds. Had the G, G25, G400 and G410 so I am a PING driver fan. Just couldn't do the 425 with so many great options from other OEMs. I will definitely give the next a try, though. 

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

As a fitter I would love for them to please introduce a SFT 9*.  A 10.5* lofted down and opening the face 1.5* does not help a slicer, Ping.  Also, the adjustable weight is not as heavy as the heel weight in the SFT to correct this.  A 9* SFT would be a dream come true for all the high-spin slicers out there.

• Like 1

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

I play the 425 and love everything about it but the sound.  Feeding around an 8" piece of yarn into the head does a nice job of muffling the sound.  A bit ghetto, and non compliant but it works.  Its easy to remove with some wire if you need to.  Did the same to my 400 max and it was a big improvement.

That said, if the 430 performs the same and sounds better, I'm buying it.  Who am I kidding, I'll end up buying it no matter what.

• Haha 1

G430 Max 9* - Hzrdus Blue PVD 
Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

U505 2i - Hzrdus Black rdx

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

SM10 - 50, 55, 60

Versa 7

22 hours ago, WristySwing said:

I'll raise you the Nike SQ Sumo2.  Scroll to 3:40.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY5VEzHbAks&ab_channel=GolfMates

When I worked Big Box golf retail I had a box of these fall on a box of Nickent Square drivers in the cement floored storage room.  I think I still have lingering tinnitus from that.

I used to have the square sumo, the G425 is far and away worse. It sounds like a little league bat.

5 hours ago, RacineBoxer said:

I played all 3 of those irons. The G400 definitely stands out for being bigger, bulkier, more offset. I was surprised at how much the G425's were slimmed down, shortened heel to toe when I had them both in my hands at the same time (I skipped the G410's, never really even looked at them). I do think the G425's were a little more clicky and I didn't love that about them. 

Irons, meh. We are talking woods here.

7 hours ago, WristySwing said:

As a fitter I would love for them to please introduce a SFT 9*.  A 10.5* lofted down and opening the face 1.5* does not help a slicer, Ping.  Also, the adjustable weight is not as heavy as the heel weight in the SFT to correct this.  A 9* SFT would be a dream come true for all the high-spin slicers out there.

You can order heavier heel weights, and face angle does not influence ball flight at only -1.5 degrees open (from standard position, which is often more closed by default). Centre of Gravity does nearly all of the heavy lifting in the SFT to make it draw-biased (somewhere between 15-20 yards). You could also ask for head with the most closed face angle (digitally loft request), so you could keep the loft as low as possible. I'd also recommend a shorter shaft for less spin, ability to 'clear' the club face better, if a SFT is still not eliminating the most severe slices. The market for a low lofted 'super' draw-biased is likely too small to justify a lower lofted head. Especially, when you can bring it down to 9 degrees and only maybe give up a slight yard or two back because of a slightly open face angle. 

If you're really crazy, you could get a MAX 9 degree, put the weight in the lowest setting and request production to add 5-6 grams of hot melt in the heel, effectively making it a low lofted SFT. A good fitter could make a solid recommendation to tailor a driver to nearly everyone. 

As a fitter, i've seen golfers that are such high spin slicers from an obscene over the top, downward attack angle, open face to path move. You could give them an SFT or an LST and they would still probably slice them the same amount. That's when you call your local PGA professional... 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, FletchJoy said:

You can order heavier heel weights, and face angle does not influence ball flight at only -1.5 degrees open (from standard position, which is often more closed by default). Centre of Gravity does nearly all of the heavy lifting in the SFT to make it draw-biased (somewhere between 15-20 yards). You could also ask for head with the most closed face angle (digitally loft request), so you could keep the loft as low as possible. I'd also recommend a shorter shaft for less spin, ability to 'clear' the club face better, if a SFT is still not eliminating the most severe slices. The market for a low lofted 'super' draw-biased is likely too small to justify a lower lofted head. Especially, when you can bring it down to 9 degrees and only maybe give up a slight yard or two back because of a slightly open face angle. 

If you're really crazy, you could get a MAX 9 degree, put the weight in the lowest setting and request production to add 5-6 grams of hot melt in the heel, effectively making it a low lofted SFT. A good fitter could make a solid recommendation to tailor a driver to nearly everyone. 

As a fitter, i've seen golfers that are such high spin slicers from an obscene over the top, downward attack angle, open face to path move. You could give them an SFT or an LST and they would still probably slice them the same amount. That's when you call your local PGA professional... 

I'm a fitter as well.  I've seen stuff like the Stealth HD, Rogue ST Max D, and LTDx Max work wonders for someone who is OTT/Out-In, face open, and heel smash it.  The key is to find something that matches with their timing better.  Heavier shafts tend to work a lot better and something that has a much more pronounced release sensation for them as well.  For instance, I do extremely well with the Diamana ZF, it has a very discernable loading and unloading sensation for a lot of players.  I agree though, there is a threshold where a club can only do so much and you need to say it's probably time to call 1-800-GOLFTIPS.

If we are being really truthful though, nothing beats a straight up offset driver.  I bet Ping sold boatloads of the G2 and G5 offset heads.  I had a G5 back in the day when I was a teen and it was a game changer for me off the tee until I improved my mechanics.

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

On 7/28/2022 at 5:34 PM, FletchJoy said:

I think that is part of the point of his request though as that those severe over the top slicers tend to deliver very high dynamic loft and obviously trends towards have an open face, so you're always working against the problem if you're having to open the face in an effort to decrease their dynamic loft. And regarding face angle, I disagree that it doesn't influence ball flight. If they resquare the face up manually by gripping the club slightly different then sure, but when you're trying to get as much help with face closure as possible for those over the top slicers then you'll take any degrees you can get. Not to mention the undeniable psychological impact that face angle at address has on many people. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant