Bryson DeChambeau on why he’s competing in the World Long Drive Championship

Break68

I dont think he stands a chance against some of the real LD competitors. On his youtube, it was remarkable to see him grunting and huffing, I think maxing out at 212mph; then a LD comes up, no warmup and on the first swing is at 213.3.

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

7 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Here’s a link.  

specifically when he speaks of the game , where it’s headed and pertaining to sports betting.  This conversation needs to be had now.  Before they ruin it. If not we will absolutely see a day when gamblers are yelling during swings , causing players to back off etc to actually effect the outcome.   I blame the tour completely.  They should  have never got in bed with Vegas.

meanwhile Brooks has said opposite.  Saying that “ we’re just likely any other sport.  You hear things. But it’s not too bad “ etc. 

He said some good stuff. But have to say when he opened the interview by comparing himself to Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk I rolled my eyes 🙄 If he really thinks people are against him, or give him a hard time specifically because he’s “different” and goes about golf differently than the masses, he’s not really getting it. I’d be willing to bet the farm if all he did was just go about golf differently, we wouldn’t be having these conversations.

Not that he gives a F what I think. But he will gain more of my respect when he takes some accountability. The whole they hate me because I’m a genius thing isn’t cutting it for me. 

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TiScape said:

He said some good stuff. But have to say when he opened the interview by comparing himself to Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk I rolled my eyes 🙄 If he really thinks people are against him, or give him a hard time specifically because he’s “different” and goes about golf differently than the masses, he’s not really getting it. I’d be willing to bet the farm if all he did was just go about golf differently, we wouldn’t be having these conversations.

Lol yea.   The funny thing is. I share some of that socially awkward thing.  Its hard to speak for someone else. But I often make comparisons like that , not meaning it how it sounds.  Just meaning a small part. Like if comparing golf swings. Might say “ I do this like jack “ etc.   Im not meaning to say I’ll win 20 majors.  Lol.   But at the time. For me. It’s very hard to see this as a problem.  Not until someone points it out that I can see it.  Even then I don’t get it.  And if irritated I may try to defend it.    

think of it like this. Bezos , and musk.  They’re humans.  ( as far as we know musk is , but I suspect other origins 😂) ….. they aren’t gods.  So I really don’t care that he said that. But I know it bothers others.    It kind of endears him to me in a weird way. If he truly doesn’t see equals , or more accurately , betters …. I can respect that.  This is the very mindset that musk and bezos use.   I feel this way. I can’t name a human that I feel less than.  It’s just not the way I think.   

im just speaking in mostly hypotheticals.  I’d love love love to sit down with him and bubba separately  and have a one on one.  Then I could have a real opinion on each.  My gut says they’re both good guys , more so than most.  

but to the point. I think it’s just that.  Nonconformity is always frowned upon by the herd.  He’s just doubled down and refused to change for them.  Bubba is much the same.    Bryson refused to talk to the media for a few weeks. Genius in my opinion.  He showed who needed who.  

Again. I’m putt off by some of his antics too. But part of that is just age gap.    But compared to Brooks , it’s not close who the bigger a-hole is.  Brooks just comes off as the rich spoiled kid we all knew in school.  Talented. Yes. But confident beyond his ability because of his born status.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

17 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Lol yea.   The funny thing is. I share some of that socially awkward thing.  Its hard to speak for someone else. But I often make comparisons like that , not meaning it how it sounds.  Just meaning a small part. Like if comparing golf swings. Might say “ I do this like jack “ etc.   Im not meaning to say I’ll win 20 majors.  Lol.   But at the time. For me. It’s very hard to see this as a problem.  Not until someone points it out that I can see it.  Even then I don’t get it.  And if irritated I may try to defend it.    

think of it like this. Bezos , and musk.  They’re humans.  ( as far as we know musk is , but I suspect other origins 😂) ….. they aren’t gods.  So I really don’t care that he said that. But I know it bothers others.    It kind of endears him to me in a weird way. If he truly doesn’t see equals , or more accurately , betters …. I can respect that.  This is the very mindset that musk and bezos use.   I feel this way. I can’t name a human that I feel less than.  It’s just not the way I think.   

im just speaking in mostly hypotheticals.  I’d love love love to sit down with him and bubba separately  and have a one on one.  Then I could have a real opinion on each.  My gut says they’re both good guys , more so than most.  

but to the point. I think it’s just that.  Nonconformity is always frowned upon by the herd.  He’s just doubled down and refused to change for them.  Bubba is much the same.    Bryson refused to talk to the media for a few weeks. Genius in my opinion.  He showed who needed who.  

Again. I’m putt off by some of his antics too. But part of that is just age gap.    But compared to Brooks , it’s not close who the bigger a-hole is.  Brooks just comes off as the rich spoiled kid we all knew in school.  Talented. Yes. But confident beyond his ability because of his born status.  

Sure, he can compare himself to whoever he wants. They are all innovators. Though him on a MUCH smaller scale. I just think it would be refreshing if he didn’t think that was the reason he rubs a lot of ppl the wrong way is all I’m saying. Accept why you are really polarizing to people, say F it I don’t care, or work on growing/changing.  

2 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Sure, he can compare himself to whoever he wants. They are all innovators. Though him on a MUCH smaller scale. I just think it would be refreshing if he didn’t think that was the reason he rubs a lot of ppl the wrong way is all I’m saying. Accept why you are really polarizing to people, say F it I don’t care, or work on growing/changing.  

I think he’s saying F it.  I don’t care.  I mean That’s the. Correct play.  Living while letting others pull the puppet strings by projecting their own weakness onto you , is the largest hinderance of progress in individuals.  Care not what others think.  It’s freeing.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

22 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I think he’s saying F it.  I don’t care.  I mean That’s the. Correct play.  Living while letting others pull the puppet strings by projecting their own weakness onto you , is the largest hinderance of progress in individuals.  Care not what others think.  It’s freeing.  

I agree it’s the right play. I just don’t sense that he’s saying F it though. And if he is it’s because he’s thinking ppl don’t like him because he’s a genius/innovator and ppl don’t always like those types of ppl. I think he’s still in denial, or just doesn’t want to see it. Just my opinion. Now I definitely think Brooks realizes why ppl don’t like him and he definitely doesn’t give a F! Haha

Edited by TiScape

1 hour ago, Circaflex said:

I dont think he stands a chance against some of the real LD competitors. On his youtube, it was remarkable to see him grunting and huffing, I think maxing out at 212mph; then a LD comes up, no warmup and on the first swing is at 213.3.

he made an interesting comment in the YouTube video somebody shared.

In sum, if Bryson can keep his spin rate down and get balls in the grid he can still be competitive with some of those guys at 212mph-215mph.

A lot of the LD guys lose distance because of too much spin, and I’ve seen plenty of sets where guys don’t move on because they can’t get it in the grid. Bryson has an advantage here IMO.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, bails74 said:

Where is the world long drive event being televised?

This is my question as well… golf Channel? Peacock?

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Normally I have no interest in the World Long Drive Championship but I will admit with Bryson being in it I will at the very least give it a cursory glance.  I don't think he has a chance but I'm at least curious to see how he stacks up.  While I don't think his presence will massively boost ratings I do think it will add some viewers that otherwise wouldn't have been interested.  

On 9/3/2021 at 2:57 PM, hoselpalooza said:

he made an interesting comment in the YouTube video somebody shared.

In sum, if Bryson can keep his spin rate down and get balls in the grid he can still be competitive with some of those guys at 212mph-215mph.

A lot of the LD guys lose distance because of too much spin, and I’ve seen plenty of sets where guys don’t move on because they can’t get it in the grid. Bryson has an advantage here IMO.

That's the one thing that I can see helping him advance decently far, though I don't think he has the speed to compete with the top guys. He will fill up the grid and more consistently hit it with good launch conditions. With it being in Mesquite I think that will go a long way. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

On 8/29/2021 at 4:25 PM, bladehunter said:

Wouldn’t he be more tuned into his wedge game , and stop with the sideshow rabbit holes ?  

im not on him. But.  Rahm and a few others are clearly after it . Bryson is working on YouTube and long drive as much as tour play.  

Damn, I said it earlier and I’ll say it agin.  He must easily be the most talented player in the world.

#7 IN THE WORLD and he’s not working at the right stuff?🤣

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

16 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

This is my question as well… golf Channel? Peacock?

Nowhere. It's being streamed on the PLDA website.

This is not the same world long drive circuit (WLDA) that Golf Channel used to televise and owns. The WLDA was put up for sale by NBC in 2020 and there has been no buyer. Their last event was in 2019.

https://golf.com/news/world-long-drive-for-sale-golf-channel/

Here is the link to the PDLA website.

https://prolongdrivers.com/plda-world-championship

Edited by grm24

7 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Damn, I said it earlier and I’ll say it agin.  He must easily be the most talented player in the world.

#7 IN THE WORLD and he’s not working at the right stuff?🤣

Nah. I’ll eat those words.  I’m seeing improvements in his wedge game. They showed at the cup.  He had them dialed in .   He may well be going to prove us all wrong.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

6 hours ago, mesquite2 said:

I looked up his bracket yesterday, 18 hitters & I only recognized 2 names besides his & they are not top of the line hitters. Another bracket has 3 of the top hitters together. First place pays $50,000, way down from the $250,000 paid out some years ago. 

So essentially a KFT, or minor league version of what we use to see on ESPN?

6 hours ago, mesquite2 said:

First place pays $50,000, way down from the $250,000 paid out some years ago. 

And if Bryson wasn't involved, first place would be like a used GC Quad. 

Edited by RCGA
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

Seems a little off to me that he was able to roll in with his own GCQuad and Trackman and get that live feedback when his competitors did not have that same advantage.

391 is better than a lot of people have been doing, but he seems about 5-10 yards short of the longer hitters today. Very, very good for a PGA pro coming off a Ryder Cup win, probably not super impressive for a dedicated LD guy.

Titleist TSi3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Some stuff I ground myself (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

3DP Design Long / Slant Neck custom Morris - OG Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker