Tiger Update (Masters 2022) *** MERGED ***

stinger_gc

When TW said he was playin I was like

And it was very cool overall.I think he said he’s playin the Open so obviously he thinks he’ll keep getting stronger. 

Who knows, maybe he can get in a routine where his legs are good, he can play practice regularly, and play the majors and a few other events every year.

He gotta get that number 83!

25 minutes ago, Gregakin said:

47th on a course he knows better than anyone in the field? Loved watching Tiger, but at 46 and his physical/game shape, don't see anyway he seriously contends this year.  

They weren’t sure he could walk the course, let alone play. I’d say his first 2 days are much more indicative of his ability. This tournament in no way represents his 2022 chances, if anything it should up his chances. Folks were saying he would hardly be able to walk again, period.

Only after recovering more strength and getting far more healthy in the months to come will we know. First competitive tourney in 500+ days, I’d say he did alright.... 😉

• Like 2

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

4 minutes ago, A.Princey said:

They weren’t sure he could walk the course, let alone play. I’d say his first 2 days are much more indicative of his ability. This tournament in no way represents his 2022 chances, if anything it should up his chances. Folks were saying he would hardly be able to walk again, period.

Only after recovering more strength and getting far more healthy in the months to come will we know. First competitive tourney in 500+ days, I’d say he did alright.... 😉

He did very well to make the cut. Much younger & healthier people missed the cut by comparison. But there is a lot of rust in Tiger's game right now, which makes sense. In the grand scheme, he's fortunate to be alive with a decent enough leg & back to walk the courses at this point. 

The problem is he will not be able to play enough tournaments to sharpen his game in a traditional manner. He will have to figure out a way to bring high quality performances on an extremely limited schedule. That's very tough to do. He has played a more limited schedule than others in the past, but it's different to play 10-15 events in earlier years compared to playing 4-5 events this year and future years. This is a different level of potential rust in the game. Ben Hogan was miraculously able to figure it out, most famously in 1953 with 5 wins (3 majors) in only 6 tournaments played throughout the year. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

I think we're going to have to wait until 2023  to see him win major #16. But I think he will be very competitive at St. Andrews this year. At least a top 25. Very possibly a top 10.

He should move to St.Andrews right away and get 100 rounds around the Old Course in before The Open. Just enough time.

2 hours ago, A.Princey said:

He could've so easily ended the 1st round at 3 or 4 under, couple scratchy chips and uncharacteristic big pulls with the driver that's all

Edited by tofur99

2 hours ago, redfirebird08 said:

He did very well to make the cut. Much younger & healthier people missed the cut by comparison. But there is a lot of rust in Tiger's game right now, which makes sense. In the grand scheme, he's fortunate to be alive with a decent enough leg & back to walk the courses at this point. 

The problem is he will not be able to play enough tournaments to sharpen his game in a traditional manner. He will have to figure out a way to bring high quality performances on an extremely limited schedule. That's very tough to do. He has played a more limited schedule than others in the past, but it's different to play 10-15 events in earlier years compared to playing 4-5 events this year and future years. This is a different level of potential rust in the game. Ben Hogan was miraculously able to figure it out, most famously in 1953 with 5 wins (3 majors) in only 6 tournaments played throughout the year. 

Ya, he can keep improving and his results will reflect the time he can train and play. 

It took a super human effort with him practically practicing and playing himself  into the ground in 2019 to hone his relatively diminished skills from his heyday to climb that mountain to success. 

Now, I could see him, being Tiger after all, getting good enough to get top 20s in big events. But play/practice enough to be prime for 4 days, grinding into Sunday with a lead or a share and fend off a pack of wolves in their prime?

Tall order. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, A.Princey said:

Sure.  Thing is, there is absolutely no way that "I did alright" is a standard that Tiger finds acceptable.  Ever.  He certainly is no Rory.  🤣🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, oikos1 said:

Sure.  Thing is, there is absolutely no way that "I did alright" is a standard that Tiger finds acceptable.  Ever.  He certainly is no Rory.  🤣🤣🤣

Going from one extreme of possibly not playing due to injury, to making the cut is pretty alright, even by Tigers standards. You gotta realize, his standards right now aren’t quite as high as he might announce, at the onset. 

It was a total lottery play in the first place, given his age and the venue. His best shot at 16 is(will continue to be)ANGC, and to miss it completely would have guaranteed another lost opportunity, no matter how remote.

I agree, “I did alright” is not acceptable to Tiger,  not even in the least. He shoulda said, “I gave it a go, number 16 isn’t gonna come from the couch!!!”

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

On 4/11/2022 at 2:40 AM, Mustard_Tiger said:

I turned off the coverage after Tiger putted out on 18. I'd rather watch Tiger shoot a courageous +13 than watch Cameron Smith or Scottie Scheffler win the Masters. Boooooring!  (not that I dislike Cameron or Scottie but come on, not exciting)

I need you to help me out here. What specifically, other than being there, was particularly exciting for you during Tigers final round?

That is what was it that had your heart soaring and your pulse racing that boring old Scheffler and Smith failed to do?

Just for context, I personally believe that other than tight finishes and/or wonder shots, golf is not exciting. It's something to watch.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

4 hours ago, nichho said:

I need you to help me out here. What specifically, other than being there, was particularly exciting for you during Tigers final round?

That is what was it that had your heart soaring and your pulse racing that boring old Scheffler and Smith failed to do?

Just for context, I personally believe that other than tight finishes and/or wonder shots, golf is not exciting. It's something to watch.

Well there's hero worship and these guys are blind to anything in golf that doesn't involve their boyfriend. Which is really another way of saying they are not golf fans but only Tiger fans.  

Disclaimer: I'm not taking away from Tiger and just being on the course was a monumental accomplishment.  But I'm definitely mocking fanboys. 

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Well there's hero worship and these guys are blind to anything in golf that doesn't involve their boyfriend. Which is really another way of saying they are not golf fans but only Tiger fans.  

Disclaimer: I'm not taking away from Tiger and just being on the course was a monumental accomplishment.  But I'm definitely mocking fanboys. 

This. It was interesting on the weekend when reality set in for Tiger and he really struggled to get around the course without looking pathetic, how it got pretty quiet in this thread. Now, a day later, the usual suspects are back predicting all sorts of things.

The reality is that we are not privy to the medical advice he has received nor do we know the prognosis for him. Is this one of those heroic but foolish things where doctors have told him "If you do this and injure that leg again we may not be able to fix it, and you're at risk of X, Y and Z" or is it a case of where they told him "You can't really hurt it much more, you just need to build up strength in it and you'll get more flexibility and less pain". We just don't know, and of course he won't tell us.

38 minutes ago, Greg_B said:

This. It was interesting on the weekend when reality set in for Tiger and he really struggled to get around the course without looking pathetic, how it got pretty quiet in this thread. Now, a day later, the usual suspects are back predicting all sorts of things.

The reality is that we are not privy to the medical advice he has received nor do we know the prognosis for him. Is this one of those heroic but foolish things where doctors have told him "If you do this and injure that leg again we may not be able to fix it, and you're at risk of X, Y and Z" or is it a case of where they told him "You can't really hurt it much more, you just need to build up strength in it and you'll get more flexibility and less pain". We just don't know, and of course he won't tell us.

The Open seems rather looking forward to TW. 

They already rockin promos. 

Do Tigers docs know about this?! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JRS1939 said:

FB_IMG_1649737412744.jpg

This is so telling....if you ever wondered why they tried to Tiger proof their golf course look no further.

On the left, there was no game improvement equipment like PROV1s , tracman or big head drivers......yet, they didn't roll the ball back nor was Tiger advocating it.

Just for reference:

Augusta National GC

1997......6925 yards

2022.....7510 yards

**We don't know how far they moved up the tees in 2022. 

(Don't quote me on any numbers)