2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Do you play irons that are below your handicap or skill level?

nvr3putt

Yeah, I know this question may be considered blasphemy on this forum. I don't care. 😛

Anyway, like many people here (*cough* hackers *cough*), I don't have the talent nor practice time to effectively play blades or players irons as a weekend golfer.

I currently have a set of T100s but I occasionally struggle during a round especially on par 3s. Can't seem to dial in the distances (ie hit the sweet spot) on a consistent basis. 

Do any of you use Game Improvement or SGI irons, perhaps as a secondary set?

I'm seriously ready to pull the trigger on a new set. Any suggestions are welcome. TIA!

• Like 1

im a 3 handicap who switched from blades to the T100's and its amazing. I dont know if that counts or not but for me, taking that part of my ego out of the game, is very freeing. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Pro 63 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 3 Wood Fujikura Speeder X-Stiff

Titleist 816 H1 19*

Titleist T100 4-9 PX 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM6 46* PX 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM7 50* PX 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM4 54*/60* PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 

I'm a 6 index, and been playing Callaway Apex's since 2014. They're GI irons. 

• Like 2

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Titleist T100s are in my view in the category of Mizuno JPX 921 Tours, Callaway Apex Pros, my Hogan PTx Pros, and clubs like that.

Not pure blades but definitely not GI.   

These  clubs may not be shovels but they're definitely playable for recreational player like myself and most likely yourself as well.

I wouldn't give up on them.  When you're not a little tense, you hit them, so remember that you're playing a game you enjoy and don't be tense.

Prison is intimidating-- golf is not.

Edited by strug'-a-ling
  • Like 2

Tour Edge E522___driver

Cleveland QuadPro___4 wood

Top Flite Intimidator 400___5, 7, 9 woods

Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron

Titleist T300___7-SW

Titleist SM6___LW

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

1 hour ago, nvr3putt said:

Yeah, I know this question may be considered blasphemy on this forum. I don't care. 😛

Anyway, like many people here (*cough* hackers *cough*), I don't have the talent nor practice time to effectively play blades or players irons as a weekend golfer.

I currently have a set of T100s but I occasionally struggle during a round especially on par 3s. Can't seem to dial in the distances (ie hit the sweet spot) on a consistent basis. 

I'm seriously ready to pull the trigger on a new set. Any suggestions are welcome. TIA!

I can understand where you are coming from, but just make sure you're making the switch to GIs for the right reason. If it's so you can hit a shorter club (that will be delofted vs traditional one) and hit a certain distance while mis-hitting it, then sure. Overtime I have just found GIs to be bad for me in the long-term given the distance control will be even tougher once you get better at hitting them (i.e., fliers).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nvr3putt said:

There is NO absolute answer to your dilemma.   If you don't have time to practice time, you should play clubs that accommodate your time & skill or lack thereof.  I have been playing MBs for near 30yrs, so what I play has no bearing on what anyone else plays.   Yes, I have a set of original x-forged CB player irons that I played for a number of years, they are now in storage.  Most of my mid-high cap friends play SGI, and it sounds like their choices are similar to what you're thinking.

I don't know what your handicap is but T100's are mostly for better players.  One other consideration though, missing the sweet spot can be due to poorly fit shafts and or swing weight.  Before I had my MMT 125s shafts swing weighted I hit some clunkers, after adjustments all is sweet.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 3
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I'm a 9 cap....I play basically the easiest clubs to hit that I can hit.  I play hybrids all the way down to 7 iron.  I have only 6 irons in my bag.  8,9,pw, 48, 52, 56.  My hybrids are considered SGI.  Cobra Fly Z XLs.   You should play what you score best with.  Be it a blade, a GI or a SGI.  No one else really cares.

Edited by 596
  • Like 3

This has been debated on here and other golf sites many times over the years. There are lots of subjective factors and everyone is different. Main thing is on any iron ( and other clubs too) whether it is a blade GI or SGI is to first off get the lofts and lies set for you then the weights shafts and bounces. That is called Total Fitting on a club. I am not going to call the head debate on skill level or handicap either. 

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I've got the Blueprints. I will say they're easier to hit than something like the TM 730s, but I couldn't go wrong with more forgiveness either.

• Like 1

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

I’m a scratch playing i500. There are times I wish there was less offset especially on the shorter irons as I have a tendency to over draw them. But with only playing 9 holes about every other week at best I really enjoy the forgiveness. Different strokes for different folks but it’s what work for me. 

5 cap here and playing the 623-M which are technically blades BUT, the heads are enormous compared to a traditional blade and the sweet spots aren't the size of a dime.  I would classify these as a hybrid between a cb and mb.  They blend good things about both into one head.  Forgiveness with the ability to work the ball high/low, left/right.  You don't have to be a single cap to get the most out of these bad boys but ball striking should at least be decent. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I am below scratch when healthy.

I play 5, 6, 7 hybrid in these:

Image 01 - Adams Idea Tech V4 VST Regular Flex Rayon Shaft 6 Iron Hybrid  L682

I win. 😉

• Like 3

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I'm probably just old, and old school. Started playing as a kid in the late 60s. There was no such thing as "game improvement" clubs. If you sucked, you didn't buy new clubs, you fixed your swing. 

I'm in no way opposed to the incredible new technology that science has produced. Eagerly adopt it. Love my new Mizzys, and Miura wedges. But at the end of the day, the number at the bottom of my scorecard is 90% swing, and 10% club. It always has been, and always will be - despite the tens of millions of dollars the OEM marketing departments spend to convince people otherwise. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

The idea of clubs below your hdc is quite peculiar.  The  golf industry organises and pidgeonholes clubs but real life goes beyond that classification and usually better players try and try until they find the clubs that suit them. You see very low hdc players with GI or SGI irons more and more often, especially because a golfer who doesn’t play a lot is, to a certain extent, an inconsistent golfer.  Technology, especially with better players, helps to fill those gaps like a toey shot that still covers the distance to a pin or a bounce that glides through on a little fat stroke, or even height with hybrids for those low single digit senior players. 

The other day I brought to the practice tee a set of irons I used like 30 years ago: tiny blades with heavy shafts. That was the only stuff available back then and we made do with it.  A very good teenage golfer on the next gate looked at them and asked me if he could try them out.  Sure do.   After a dozen shots he asked me “you seriously played with this crap back then?

• Like 4

As a self confessed club ho I am not convinced any clubs are above or below any handicap level.  This is just a marketing ploy that has successfully convinced many amateur golfers that they are missing out on better scores.

You play what you like and what works for you.  I have gamed everything from baby blades to G710's and not seen any obvious changes in scoring.  I tried the G710 as an experiment and at a time when I was struggling with my ball striking.  I was hitting them all over the face and distance control was woeful.  Low face hits just went for miles.  I was more consistent with players irons because at least I knew how they would react.

There is a strong argument that the better player and more consistent ball striker benefits from a more "forgiving" club than the higher cap.  Sometimes the GI and SGI clubs are too inconsistent with off center hits, which completely defeats the object.  

Ended the year as a 3.6 HC and play Srixon 565's.  I switched from AP2's back in 2018 and am happy I did.  I played AP2's, was a decent golfer with them, could play them now and I don't think it would hurt my HC, but I'm more comfortable with the off center hits using the fatter irons.  The new hollow core clubs offer a bit of both worlds so you don't really have to choose.  

• Like 1
In search of solid contact...

On 11/12/2021 at 2:17 PM, thebogeyputt said:

I can understand where you are coming from, but just make sure you're making the switch to GIs for the right reason. If it's so you can hit a shorter club (that will be delofted vs traditional one) and hit a certain distance while mis-hitting it, then sure. Overtime I have just found GIs to be bad for me in the long-term given the distance control will be even tougher once you get better at hitting them (i.e., fliers).

Primarily I'm looking for more forgiveness and as a consequence consistency into the green. 

I feel a GI/SGI could improve that over my T100s. Just trying to maximize the joy of playing amateur golf while not losing money to my buddies. 😀

On 11/12/2021 at 3:14 PM, Pepperturbo said:

I don't know what your handicap is but T100's are mostly for better players.  One other consideration though, missing the sweet spot can be due to poorly fit shafts and or swing weight.  Before I had my MMT 125s shafts swing weighted I hit some clunkers, after adjustments all is sweet.

I shoot in the high 80s, low 90s. (No official HDCP).

Your comment about shafts might be the answer. I just may go back to my fitter and ask to try lighter and lower swing weighted graphite shafts. 

On 11/12/2021 at 1:52 PM, Barfolomew said:

Any club is workable

Though there's truth to that statement, there's a great deal more to the topic.  Most of which is tied to "attention to details", or lack thereof.

Years back I had a 2i-PW set of Titleist 735CM with Rifle 6.5 shafts.  They were Titleist's first attempt at a blended set.  The short irons were MB blades, mid 7i-5i were shallow cavity back irons and long 4i-2i were full on deep cavities with strong perimeter.  Where problems occurred was when I wanted to hit a baby fade or draw using 2i-4i.  The deep forgiving full cavity backs worked against any exact manipulative trajectory shot.  Main design purpose of deep perimeter weighted CB's are forgive miss-hits, and keep the ball flying straight, which they those irons did really well.  So well, they were annoying and were sold a year later.  I went back to blades. 

The main purpose of any forgiving deep cavity back is to make hitting the ball straight, easy, but if the user misses hits the ball, the club's forgiveness masks the error and the ball flies much if not all expected yardage.  Just sayin... you have a good day.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Both? I play both Apex Pros and MP33 any given day. You can debate what type of clubs a low single digit should play with, but the MP33 are certainly more penal than the Apex Pros, and at times I feel like the Apex Pros are a bit too chunk for my liking. One day I'll find a middle ground, but playing both has been a good approach for me thus far. 

36 minutes ago, nvr3putt said:

I shoot in the high 80s, low 90s. (No official HDCP).

Your comment about shafts might be the answer. I just may go back to my fitter and ask to try lighter and lower swing weighted graphite shafts. 

Two of my buddies play sub-90g graphite shafts.  I play heavier composite shafts, but I am not suggesting others play them.  Though they are great at preventing wear and tear on the body, quality steel shafts like my ole PX 6.0 still reign supreme. 

Guessing the swing weight of my buddies clubs are maybe C9.  I know that because I've hit them, and notice the difference from my shafts.  Swing weight in conjunction with too light or too heavy shaft weight can result in poor ball striking.   It took a 2nd visit to my builder to get swing weights right on my irons. 

• Like 1
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX