5wood and 7wood

Propofol_Papi

I have been thinking of going with a 7 in place of either the 3 or 5. The 7 wood options are kind of limited, but there are some interesting ones. 

Cobra has the 5-7, maybe that set as a 6 with my 3 wood?

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I play 5,7,9, I call them my long wedges. I hit long irons solid but too low to score. Hybrids have always been inconsistent. I played 3,7 for most of the season. I added the 9 on whim, thanks to the BST, dumped the 4 iron. The 7 and 9 really made the shots from 210-230 possible from a variety of lies. I love the height and the feeling that if I do hit the shot its going to stop in the right place. Just based on the confidence I got from the 7 and 9 I dumped the 3 for a 5. The 5 flies higher than the 3, its easier to hit, and the total distance is close to the 3. It feels good to have real options at the top of the bag. I’ll be the first to admit I have weird bag, but it works.

• Like 2

Note. If your thinking about going 5,7,9 in any combination, shafts are super important. You will need weight, 70-90g, and it can get expensive. You can buy used 5,7,9 with stock shafts cheap and add a proper shaft(used options are out there but not many). I would guess most high(er) lofted wood experiments fail because of crappy light stock shafts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nicelife said:

Note. If your thinking about going 5,7,9 in any combination, shafts are super important. You will need weight, 70-90g, and it can get expensive. You can buy used 5,7,9 with stock shafts cheap and add a proper shaft(used options are out there but not many). I would guess most high(er) lofted wood experiments fail because of crappy light stock shafts.

Sounds like my late season this year.  I have played the original Callaway Steelhead 4+ (15.25*) , 7w (20*) and 9w (24*) with DGX100 Lite steel shafts for about 20 years.

This season I had lost some more distance with them and started looking to replace them as my driver (Callaway Epic Max LS) and irons (PXG Gen3 0311P) were going further and creating gaps that I had previously been able to cover with the Steelheads.

Enter the TM SIM Ti 5w turned down to 17* at 42.5” with a Diamana FW75 shaft.  I have hit many 3/4 woods over the past 20 years that were longer than the Steelhead 4+ but just was not as consistent with them until the SIM Ti.

Let the rabbit hole begin… 

Found a good deal on a TM SIM Max 7w and another great deal on a Velocore Red 7, which has been a match made in golf heaven.

The 7w worked so well I picked up a TM SIM Max 9w and paired it with a Diamana D+ 80 and has been a nice pairing.

Ended up switching to a SIM2 Ti 5w head recently and have a SiM2 Max 16.5* waiting in the basement for another Diamana FW75 that is en route to go head-to-head with the SIM2 Ti to see if the Max is a better fit in the 3/4 wood slot.

I play my 3/4 wood at 42.5”, 7w at 41.5” and 9w at 40.75”.

• Like 1

I play the SIM MaxD 3w (16*) as a tee only club. I like the forgiveness of the 195cc head and the Tensei AV 75x fits me well. I will be getting either the SIM Max 7w (21*) or the MaxD (22*). Just unsure which way to go. I know that if I go with the 21* then I'll be tempted with the 9w (24*).

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

46 minutes ago, xkilgorextroutx said:

I go 4w then 7w just for a bit better gapping after the driver, but in the end it's all about what works best for you.

Same here, but now many 5-woods are 18*, which is pretty much a 4w, and with adjustability, it can be cranked down even more. 

My 4w is an old R9 with 17* of loft that just refuses to leave the bag. If I do replace it, it will probably be with a club that says 5w on the sole but goes just as far.

• Like 1

Man, you righties and your bounty of 7 woods. There are like 5 lefty 7 woods. 🤣 

• Like 2

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

17 hours ago, nicelife said:

Would depend on the player.  For instance, I need crappy light weight shafts...or at least light weight🙂

11 hours ago, jbandalo said:

I’m a lefty and go 5W + 7W combo. Love it. 

That's how I do it after driver. Also a lefty. 

7 hours ago, CROUSE99 said:

Many amateurs hit a 5 wood more consistently and with a higher trajectory than a 3 wood and some hit the 5 wood longer to boot.

That's how I am. 5w goes about the same distance, but it's much easier to hit off the deck. I can even use it in light rough. The 7w is great off the deck as well as medium rough. 

Edited by don28
Grammar

The real key IMO with anything 5wood and higher is the length and weighting. You don't want anything too long or light. I have an 17.5 and a 21 built short and weighted well for me personally.  It's a lot easier to hit these consistently at shorter lengths imo. 

• Like 1

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

On 11/28/2021 at 6:21 AM, xkilgorextroutx said:

I go 4w then 7w just for a bit better gapping after the driver, but in the end it's all about what works best for you

I've used some combo of 4W + 7W for last eleven seasons. If you're replacing current fairways, see if you can hit a 4W OK. This would get you an extra 10+ yards over 5W.

But, I see players with 5W + 7W. Whatever works.

Talked to a custom fitter at 2019 golf expo (remember expos and demo days?) He puts longer-hitting golfers into a 3W +  5W, average golfers into 4W + 7W.

Edited by ChipNRun
Correct typo.
  • Like 2

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

It’s all about optimal flight and spin. Some can achieve that with a 3 wood,

some need more loft to get the spin right so they go 4 wood or 5 wood.

Another idea is to get a lower-spinning 4 or 5 to get a little more distance. I produce plenty of spin, so I have a Mavrik 5 wood Subzero that with the heavier weight in the front goes 3 wood distances, still has spin to stop. As for 7 wood, the key is to get the look you like. A lot of 7 woods look shut at address, so I do like adjustability at that loft. For that reason my favorites are Callaway Epic Flash, Cobra any series, Titleist any series and the Ping g425. One bonded hosel 7 wood I did like was the standard Rogue. I also go with a slightly heavier and firmer shaft in my 7 wood. Makes it feel tighter and in control. 

I also agree that some fairway shafts are  simply too long to work for typical players. Playing them 1/2 inch short is not really short. Still longer than they used to be. Find your best length for control. If you can’t rely on accuracy with your fairways, it’s no good and playing them too long is a common mistake. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I went with 5W and 7W and left my 3W in my garage for three years, as my 3W didn't work well off the deck, and I didn't need it off the tee. I've since retired the 5W and 7W as well, now I carry 2H, 3H and 4H, which give the same distance for me as 3W, 5W and 7W did off the tee but are much better off the deck, especially when said deck has three inches of rough atop it. 😏

• Haha 1

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

I am still experimenting with the 7w. I am slightly above average SS in the low to mid 100's with 45" driver, 100ish with 4w and swinging easy upper 90's on the 7w. 

I can hit a 3w but prefer the 4w for a bit more loft (1.5d), smaller head, bit more help out of light rough on par 5's. 

This fall I picked up a Mavrik 7w (fixed, 21d) and initially I am hitting some towering 200-205 fly balls. Was hoping 215ish. They are towering fly balls initially so learning a bit with it to strike it a bit more of a bullet (still excellent hight, higher then the 3H for sure). 

Went on a nice heavenwood deep dive this weekend wondering of the older smaller ones (Rogue, EF, and now the Max is smaller again) at 20d would be a better fit for me, otherwise a 19d 5w should help keep it a bit lower and spin down.

I'm simply trying to get gapping for attacking some shorter par 5's and while I do like the ease of launch of the 7w, I wonder if the loft gap from the 4w is too much for gapping and I need a 20 or 19d club.

19d is a 6W to me, so 4W/6W seems more logical to me 🙂 

- b

I initially used 3 wood off tee exclusively, but finally found a driver that I love and no longer need a 3 wood. I flirted with a 4 wood for this past season with mixed results.  Not having confidence with 4 wood lead me to 5 wood which I love hitting off the deck and as a back up tee club about 230 yards. The 7 wood is a reliable, comfortable 215 club for me. 

• Like 1

I haven't played a 5 wood in 20 years, until this year. Been going back and forth with hybrids/long irons for many years.  I haven really liked my 410 LST 3 wood that I have had for a couple of years.  On a whim, picked up a used 410 5 wood, stock shaft, hit is very well, as expected a bit higher than the 3 (shaft is different), and a bit shorter.  A month or two later found a used 410 7 wood, same set up and thought, why not.  Hit it very high, but consistent, which is the key, it has replaced my 4 iron, which had replaced a hybrid earlier in the year.   I had always feared I would be more inconsistent with a FW vs. hybrids since the shafts are longer, but these pings are so forgiving, not an issue at all.   My thinking has completely changed on the subject.....

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

On 11/27/2021 at 8:17 PM, Cactus Jack said:

I play Ping G425 5 and 7 woods. I drop the loft on the 5 and play it as a 4 wood which gives me great gapping. I do have a G425 3 wood too and mix & match all three depending on the course.  

Same here, my PING G425 5 Wood is lofted down and I also play a 7 Wood, then I go hybrid, then iron set. The PING 5 wood goes as close if not further than my old 3 wood. I took the 3 wood out, and added a wedge. 

I have an average swing speed hence why the 3 Wood did not work for me. 

Edited by Nateyeight