Ranger behavior

I’ll add this…

For the people that have “other things to do”, go do them. Either get up and play at the crack of dawn, or plan on golf being the “thing” you do that day. If you actually set aside time to play golf, you’ll enjoy it that much more. 

Also, for the “can’t get into a rhythm” crowd, I’m not buying it. It takes 3 seconds, tops, to execute a golf swing. 80 times per round, that’s 240 seconds. That’s 4 minutes of concentration in a 4, 5, or 6 hour round. You can’t concentrate for 4 minutes? And some of those 80 shots are tap-ins, or scoops, and require less than 3 seconds of concentration. 

Unless I’m playing multiple rounds in a day, I look forward to slow rounds. I never have to worry about letting others through, I have more time to BS with my friends, and in most cases, I get to spend even more time playing golf with my son. 

Lastly, if it isn’t fun for you, just leave. Your playing partners you’ve been whining to about the pace will appreciate it. The groups behind you will appreciate it. You’re a true gentleman for leaving. If you have better ways to spend your time, go do them. Why were you on the course in the first place if you actually have better things to do? Do those instead. Leave the tee times open for golfers, like myself and others, that are there to enjoy our time out on the course AND don’t have ANYTHING we’d “rather be doing”. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I'm pretty sure Rangers get paid around here. I know the ones at my usual munis do. They are mostly retired guys doing it for the golf but they get paid also (not a lot to be fair) whether they're starter or ranger, or whatever else.   I think there would be legal, liability, insurance, etc issues with "volunteer" rangers. What happens of they flip a cart and get seriously injured?

Also, they are generally useless. They rarely say anything to anyone. I guess they hope that by being visible, people will speed up. They also are rarely seen after about 2pm. But we have 11 min tee times so pace is rarely terrible.

I agree to some extent with Augster, if you "like" golf so much you can't wait to leave...    But, waiting on shots is a pain and I think you should either keep up or be on 4-ish hour pace. Nobody is obligated to play speed golf in my opinion.  I'm a pretty fast player but I'd rather wait on a slightly slow group rather than have speed golfers riding us all day. Of course some days you get 2 for the price of 1..

• Like 1

I’ve seen couple of responses on this subject suggesting that poor ranger behavior is cause by lack of training.  NOPE.  Don’t buy it.  We have all agreed that they take these jobs in order to get free golf privileges.  So they are players.  Unless they are brand new to the sport, they know, very well, that slow play that has created open holes in front of them (on a full tee sheet day) is not appropriate (especially after just 5 holes as my original note stated).  They wouldn’t want this to occur when they play.   Wondering if the lack of ‘training’ that was mentioned has to do with how to talk to the slow group.  Not really sure how long that ‘training’ would take to instruct them to just mention it to the slow group and ask if they could close the gap. Common sense.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 11:51 PM, RSinSG said:

One of the Marshals on a course I play spends most of his shift fishing balls from the lake. He has a retriever that must be 30 feet long. 

I never call the pro shop on pace of play issues. I do call when I see non-golfer morons walking on the cart paths like its a beautiful park for them to enjoy. One course I play is adjacent to city bike/hiking trails and when the cart path goes over a public road the bike trail is the same a** then cart path. People get confused and end up walking on the course which of course is dangerous. Sometimes the Marshal makes it to them in time, mostly not. TBH I'm not sure what their job specs are and what training they receive. 

Heh, a few weeks ago there was a slow group with a couple holes open in front of them. Not untypical at that course, but then I noticed there was a ranger driving around, which is not typical. But my faint hopes were dashed when I looked over at one of those open holes a few minutes later. The "ranger" had a pitching wedge with him and was taking advantage of the gap to get in a little practice. Amazing.

10 hours ago, Augster said:

I’ll add this…

For the people that have “other things to do”, go do them. Either get up and play at the crack of dawn, or plan on golf being the “thing” you do that day. If you actually set aside time to play golf, you’ll enjoy it that much more. 

Also, for the “can’t get into a rhythm” crowd, I’m not buying it. It takes 3 seconds, tops, to execute a golf swing. 80 times per round, that’s 240 seconds. That’s 4 minutes of concentration in a 4, 5, or 6 hour round. You can’t concentrate for 4 minutes? And some of those 80 shots are tap-ins, or scoops, and require less than 3 seconds of concentration. 

Unless I’m playing multiple rounds in a day, I look forward to slow rounds. I never have to worry about letting others through, I have more time to BS with my friends, and in most cases, I get to spend even more time playing golf with my son. 

Lastly, if it isn’t fun for you, just leave. Your playing partners you’ve been whining to about the pace will appreciate it. The groups behind you will appreciate it. You’re a true gentleman for leaving. If you have better ways to spend your time, go do them. Why were you on the course in the first place if you actually have better things to do? Do those instead. Leave the tee times open for golfers, like myself and others, that are there to enjoy our time out on the course AND don’t have ANYTHING we’d “rather be doing”. 

Im like you. I just don’t get why people are always timing their rounds. If they like golf so much why do they want it to end so quickly. I guess they have to get back home to post about it on GolfWRX. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

3 hours ago, towncrier said:

I’ve seen couple of responses on this subject suggesting that poor ranger behavior is cause by lack of training.  NOPE.  Don’t buy it.  We have all agreed that they take these jobs in order to get free golf privileges.  So they are players.  Unless they are brand new to the sport, they know, very well, that slow play that has created open holes in front of them (on a full tee sheet day) is not appropriate (especially after just 5 holes as my original note stated).  They wouldn’t want this to occur when they play.   Wondering if the lack of ‘training’ that was mentioned has to do with how to talk to the slow group.  Not really sure how long that ‘training’ would take to instruct them to just mention it to the slow group and ask if they could close the gap. Common sense.

You may, or may not, be surprised that quite a few (very) experienced players have little idea of how groups ebb and flow through a golf course.

A golf course isn't a 36 (full shot) link chain hanging straight down. It's full of kinks. Same small, some larger.

These kinks cause natural(?) gaps between groups. Groups lose the group in front of them for a hole, sometimes even 2 and then naturally close the gap when the group in front of them hits a natural snag.

But a lot of even very experienced players don't recognize this.

Same with a lot of rangers.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

What is dmv ?

Department of Motor Vehicles.  A place in the states you want to avoid at all costs.  Notoriously understaffed with overworked government employees.

This is the place that issues drivers licenses and also administers the tests.  It's almost always a long wait and is usually a most unpleasant experience.  I'd rather go to the dentist than the dmv.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

On 6/24/2022 at 11:26 AM, Cliffy2020 said:

One of the courses I play is ALL about pace of play!  It’s everywhere.  You can’t hide from it.  It’s posted, it’s announced regularly, you’re told when you check in, pop-ups on the GPS screen.  Guys monitoring you from the clubhouse and marshals sent out for enforcement.   Fast play is fun play because nobody wants to play a 5hr round of golf!  It can get a little intense.  Here’s a shot of the scorecard. The rangers/marshals are trained professionals.  They are polite but firm.

615AB7C2-A80E-46A2-B8C3-0EAC29C09A78.jpeg

581E69C1-E891-4750-8820-77C987159A68.jpeg

This sounds like heaven. We live in a world where the offending group is emboldened because they go unpressured or unchallenged. So if that group behind the slow play group won’t speak up, every group behind suffers. And the worst thing you can hear is expected play times, all seemingly relative to this inane 4 hr mark. Golf is to be played up to the group in front of you. If they get away from you and the group behind you is up on you, you need to play faster or politely allow next group through. Sometimes you get lucky and the group ahead of yours is fast and the group behind slow, that’s the ONLY course situation where pace of play is not your first thought. But telling me it’s ok to hold up groups behind you because you’re on a 4 hr pace is selfish , absurd and the core of the problem

Edited by Carl Spackler3
  • Like 2

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

Pretty funny actually.

Golf is the ONLY (presumably) enjoyable activity I can think of where so many want it to go/be over as quickly as possible. hysterical.gif

Edited by nsxguy
  • Like 3

Titleist Pro V1X

I readily admit that a smooth pace is the most enjoyable way to golf and that being held up by unreasonably slow players can get annoying if you let it. I have found that the best golfers I know can control their mental space from outside influence. 

They don’t worry about what is going on ahead or behind them, and if they do they can turn it off and on. I constantly remind myself that the activity is fun and that the mental and physical challenges in whatever form are part of the game. 

I also don’t care if a round is 5.5 hours. I don’t try to plan anything on golf days, the additional stress from a schedule makes the game less fun. 

If you are a golfer who makes plans for later in the day then you have to get out with the dew sweepers, it is the only way to guarantee avoiding slow play. You just never know when you will get caught behind a slow group of you are playing the prime hours. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 10:04 AM, BrianMcG said:

I just don’t get why people are always timing their rounds. If they like golf so much why do they want it to end so quickly.

I agree, but only to a point.  I get antsy towards the 9th inning of a baseball game, somewhere in the middle of the final movement of Beethoven's 7th symphony I'm looking forward to a cocktail, and at a party... well, I wanna get out of there before others are doing the mass exodus.

I think the problem is not with the slow golf per se, but with the "speed up, slow down" pace of play.  I'm fine with 4.5 hours, but not if I have to wait 15 minutes on a tee for two other groups to go off.  Messes with the mindset, especially if you've been roaring along, playing well, and then come to an abrupt stop.

Maybe I'm just one of those young guys with a short attention span.

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

44 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I agree, but only to a point.  I get antsy towards the 9th inning of a baseball game, somewhere in the middle of the final movement of Beethoven's 7th symphony I'm looking forward to a cocktail, and at a party... well, I wanna get out of there before others are doing the mass exodus.

I think the problem is not with the slow golf per se, but with the "speed up, slow down" pace of play.  I'm fine with 4.5 hours, but not if I have to wait 15 minutes on a tee for two other groups to go off.  Messes with the mindset, especially if you've been roaring along, playing well, and then come to an abrupt stop.

Maybe I'm just one of those young guys with a short attention span.

I told ya. Go "single" mocha. :classic_biggrin:

If a course is fairly wide open, as it is most(?) weekdays, pop isn't a problem most days.

But on busy days, usually weekends, yer gonna have a tough time if you can't exhibit some patience.

I played many years in a club that played a muni every Sunday morning. We were always around 10th on the tee sheet. The 1st 7 or 8 tee times could get around quickly but after that you were looking at 4.5 if you were lucky, 5 most days and 5.5 if it was really bad.

And most courses, once you've played them a few times, will show their "natural" ebbs and flows. Most all par 3s and par 5s, and drivable par 4s, make for "waits" and "catchups".

Anywho, on Sundays we mostly just talked and kidded around while waiting. "Where ya going with the family for vacation ?". How's the job going ?" Where do you play during the week ?".

Whatever, the point is to try to occupy yourself with something other than the waiting.

Kinda sorta like work. A day can be a bit boring and it seems like 5PM will never get here - and other days you're so busy it's like "Geez, it's almost 5 already".

The more you can engage with the others in your group, or even just be alone with your thoughts, the easier it is to handle the waiting time.

Titleist Pro V1X

Hey

4 hours ago, nsxguy said:

I told ya. Go "single" mocha. :classic_biggrin:

If a course is fairly wide open, as it is most(?) weekdays, pop isn't a problem most days.

But on busy days, usually weekends, yer gonna have a tough time if you can't exhibit some patience.

I played many years in a club that played a muni every Sunday morning. We were always around 10th on the tee sheet. The 1st 7 or 8 tee times could get around quickly but after that you were looking at 4.5 if you were lucky, 5 most days and 5.5 if it was really bad.

And most courses, once you've played them a few times, will show their "natural" ebbs and flows. Most all par 3s and par 5s, and drivable par 4s, make for "waits" and "catchups".

Anywho, on Sundays we mostly just talked and kidded around while waiting. "Where ya going with the family for vacation ?". How's the job going ?" Where do you play during the week ?".

Whatever, the point is to try to occupy yourself with something other than the waiting.

Kinda sorta like work. A day can be a bit boring and it seems like 5PM will never get here - and other days you're so busy it's like "Geez, it's almost 5 already".

The more you can engage with the others in your group, or even just be alone with your thoughts, the easier it is to handle the waiting time.

Hey, you're talking to a former Type A here!  😁

I rarely play on weekends, almost always weekdays.  The crowdedness is just an anomaly of it being summer and everyone wants to play golf.

I put up with it, with the usual fidgeting, with a desire to get home and barbeque some salmon on the side patio in the peace of the shade and a good gin & tonic.

• Like 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

On 6/25/2022 at 2:28 AM, Augster said:

I’ll never understand slow play rants. The only time it’s appropriate is when you are trying to get more than 18 in. I’ve had plenty of 36, 54, and 63 hole days. You can’t do that with slow play. 

But if you’re only playing 18, what is the hurry? Hurry up so we can be done playing golf? When I’m on the course, there is NOTHING I’m going to do the rest of the day that is going to be as fun as playing golf. So why rush?

How about, the next time you folks are on the course, you take some time and enjoy being out there. Do that instead of rushing through the round trying to “get it over with” as fast as you can. 

If you’re really that pressed for time, play 9 holes. Play 13 holes. 15 holes. What is the difference? You aren’t going to enjoy the remaining holes after your “personal time par” is exceeded anyway. Just leave. The folks behind you will appreciate it. 

Or, do as I do, and just enjoy every minute you’re out there. Whether that’s a quick 2.5 hour round, or a 5.5 hour slog. At some point, either the game will pass you by and it won’t be any fun anymore so you’ll quit, or your health will fail you and you won’t be able to play anymore. You certainly aren’t going to play golf better than you are right now, that’s how age works, so enjoy every minute. Eventually, you won’t be able to play, or you’ll never play to your current skill level.

So just enjoy it. 

This is exactly why rangers don't want to do their job anymore, you get guys who think a 5 hour round is fine, and probably push back when a ranger or course says something to them.   I'm out there to play golf, not watch grass grow or watch people recreate a Benny Hill sketch in their cart. Pace matters for numerous reasons.  I love golf, I don't love sitting around watching the world go by.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 7/16/2022 at 7:02 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

Hey

Hey, you're talking to a former Type A here!  😁

I rarely play on weekends, almost always weekdays.  The crowdedness is just an anomaly of it being summer and everyone wants to play golf.

I put up with it, with the usual fidgeting, with a desire to get home and barbeque some salmon on the side patio in the peace of the shade and a good gin & tonic.

Tanqueray!

On 7/16/2022 at 10:34 AM, RmoorePE said:

I readily admit that a smooth pace is the most enjoyable way to golf and that being held up by unreasonably slow players can get annoying if you let it.   

I think smooth pace of play is the key thing. If you're moving along, group visible in front of you, maybe have to wait a minute for greens to clear on the par 3s, but generally not having to wait for shots, it really doesn't matter that much WHAT that pace is. Sure, it's great to get around in 3.5, but as long as it's a steady pace, I'm not going to get angry at 4.5. I tend to play fast, but my usual group plays at a more moderate pace, so I don't really feel like I'm running up the back of the group in front of me every hole when I play with them, regardless of the pace. 

But once you start getting above 4.5, and definitely when you get into 5 hours or longer, I've never seen a smooth pace. Every round I've ever played at over 5 hours has been a LOT of waiting. I.e. putt out and get up to the next tee when the group in front of you is just starting to tee off because the fairway just cleared, so you have to wait for them to make it down the fairway and hit their second shots before you can tee off, and the group behind you is pretty much done putting out by the time you can hit. 

• Like 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

I think the issue here is that, for most people, a 5.5 hour round of golf is not really a 5.5 hour round of golf. It's a 3.5-4 hour round of golf with an extra 1-1.5 hours of standing around and doing nothing. Sometimes in the baking hot sun. It's  1-1.5 hours of not playing golf interjected in your golf time.

I love playing golf! I do not particularly like standing around and doing nothing when I should be playing golf.

• Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

1 hour ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I think smooth pace of play is the key thing. If you're moving along, group visible in front of you, maybe have to wait a minute for greens to clear on the par 3s, but generally not having to wait for shots, it really doesn't matter that much WHAT that pace is. Sure, it's great to get around in 3.5, but as long as it's a steady pace, I'm not going to get angry at 4.5. I tend to play fast, but my usual group plays at a more moderate pace, so I don't really feel like I'm running up the back of the group in front of me every hole when I play with them, regardless of the pace. 

But once you start getting above 4.5, and definitely when you get into 5 hours or longer, I've never seen a smooth pace. Every round I've ever played at over 5 hours has been a LOT of waiting. I.e. putt out and get up to the next tee when the group in front of you is just starting to tee off because the fairway just cleared, so you have to wait for them to make it down the fairway and hit their second shots before you can tee off, and the group behind you is pretty much done putting out by the time you can hit. 

I agree. We played a 5:15 round of golf yesterday. Too long, but the course was full and the rough was let go to mid-shin height due to some upcoming tournaments and the average Sunday golfer spent a lot of time looking for their ball. So, we did have to wait on every tee box, but only waited in the fairway 1 or 2 times. That meant each hole proceeded at a normal pace which made the whole thing completely tolerable.

I expected a 4:30 round so the extra 45 minutes was not a shock, but was not optimal either.

On 6/25/2022 at 11:23 PM, Augster said:

This says it all right here. You play slow, and you prefer if other people in front of you play slow. That way a gap doesn't open in front of you on a busy course where you're worried about letting others play through because you can't keep up. 

If you're keeping pace with the group in front of you, you never have to worry about letting others through. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

1 hour ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

This says it all right here. You play slow, and you prefer if other people in front of you play slow. That way a gap doesn't open in front of you on a busy course where you're worried about letting others play through because you can't keep up. 

If you're keeping pace with the group in front of you, you never have to worry about letting others through. 

My group is very slow. It's one guy in our group but sometimes other slowpokes join us.  It amazes me when the group ahead of us doesn't leave us in the dust but it does eliminate any drama with the group behind wanting to play through.  Last week though, there was no one in front of us.  The group behind us was on our tail.  We dilly dallied on the turn but they never got to the 10th tee so we teed off.  The range came to visit us on the 11th tee.  The ranger told the guys behind us that we were on time but that he'd ask if they could play through.  The ranger just said hello to us so he didn't cause any drama.  The guys asked to play through after we teed off on 11.  Only one guy in our group had an issue with them playing through.  And you know it was our slow guy.  

On 6/26/2022 at 1:23 AM, Augster said:

I’ll add this…

This might be the worst take I’ve seen on a golf forum. I would be thrilled to ask you to leave my club if that is your attitude and you weren’t filtered out before you became a member. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/18/2022 at 2:01 PM, klebs01 said:

This might be the worst take I’ve seen on a golf forum. I would be thrilled to ask you to leave my club if that is your attitude and you weren’t filtered out before you became a member. 

You don’t know me it seems. I’m awesome to play with. I can play fast on fast courses, I can play slow on slow courses. I have impeccable etiquette. I’m really, really funny. I always have fun. I pay all my losses without complaining. I never complain about conditions, or pace, or weather, or anything really. I play with everyone and everyone likes playing with me. I treat everyone as an equal and am a great listener also. 

I’m sure I’d be a black mark on your CC’s roster. 

20 hours ago, Augster said:

You don’t know me it seems. I’m awesome to play with. I can play fast on fast courses, I can play slow on slow courses. I have impeccable etiquette. I’m really, really funny. I always have fun. I pay all my losses without complaining. I never complain about conditions, or pace, or weather, or anything really. I play with everyone and everyone likes playing with me. I treat everyone as an equal and am a great listener also. 

I’m sure I’d be a black mark on your CC’s roster. 

Are you also a CEO?

• Haha 3

On 7/19/2022 at 4:39 PM, Augster said:

... This may all be true but hard to decipher from your first post.

On 6/25/2022 at 11:23 PM, Augster said:

... This is why pace of play can be a problem for those that don't care about others they are sharing the course with. With my normal 4some having the course to ourselves we would play in just under 4 hours. Plenty of time to talk and play golf. But I play a lot as a single too and pace of play is all over the map with strangers. The problem with that on a crowded golf courses is some may do the same in 3.5 hours or 4.5 hours and why most public courses have a 4 hr pace off play in place. I pretty much play 5 times a week and always twilite and the group teeing off first has a responsibility to play as fast as comfortable so those behind them can get in 18. Playing in 3.5 hours is ideal but again keeping a normal pace and finishing around 4 hrs is acceptable. If you want to play in 4.5 hours just be considerate of others and don't play twilite and usually the hour before twilite has plenty of openings. 

... Getting into a rhythm also means something different to any individual. I have had 2 back surgeries and although I stretch and do strengthening exercises every day, standing and waiting is not as desirable as moving at a steady pace. If that pace is a little slow I just don't walk as fast but standing behind 4 yahoos taking 10 minutes with the cart girl every time she passes or texting and not teeing off when the fairway is clear because they can just race off in carts while I am walking is a recipe for a stiff back. 

... Looking forward to slow rounds* is the same as looking forward to fast rounds. Either are fine on an empty course but it is just selfish to expect others to share your idea of what the best pace of play should be, The point being everyone has their own idea of what a good pace of play is but it's different for virtually every group, so keep up with the group in front or keep up the courses recommended pace of play. 

* there was a group of super seniors at one of the muni's I played back in Chicago that routinely took 6 hours or more to play. They all lived on the course and were in no hurry and like you enjoyed talking and enjoying their day as they literally had nowhere else to go. But they always waived anyone near them through with "take your time" because they knew they were slow and did not want to slow others dawn. Best of both worlds imo ...

Edited by chisag
  • Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

I'm tracking with Augster. I think he is saying that if the course is crowded and slow, he enjoys that too, not that he goes out intent to play slow. Overall it is a better way to look at a slow round than being mad. Certainly an easier way to keep focused. 

I would imagine most posters on this board have a pretty good picture of what it means to keep up with the group ahead of them. Saying "I look forward to slow rounds" means to me "I like being on the golf course, in any format. Certainly better than work or chores."  I mean you are outside with your friends and family, in a beautiful location, maybe sipping something cold, and playing a sport you love. 

When I am playing with someone who gets agitated with POP I ask them "What else do you have to do today?" If they planned something without a buffer, their fault, not my problem. We can only play as fast as the conditions that day merit.

Edited by RmoorePE
  • Like 1