LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)

SheriffBooth

12 minutes ago, Golfinfloridaafter40 said:

Excellent tournament to start the year! Too bad several of the guys got sick early on, but that is part of world travel

Was listening to one of the Fairway to Heaven podcasts with Norman as a guest and it really shows how wrong most of the people are about him and what he is trying to do.  It's a shame so many people are easily fooled by the politics and hypocrisy because this thing is getting better and better. Golf is winning regardless of the haters

How did it show people were wrong?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, nosedive32 said:

54 players (with 15 of the last 31 majors won by players in the field) 54 Holes 0 points. This totally makes sense.

Since the AT&T has been shortened to 54 holes due to weather numerous times and LIV is always shortened to 54 holes by intent, we'll 

let the OWGR points stand. 

• Like 4

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

36 minutes ago, Vardon Grip said:

Out of a lack of viewing choices I tuned into the LIV coverage. Not for me, good names and all, but the shorts and the trying too hard to make it a thing put me off. Looked too relatable, like a bunch of bros playing on a saturday. 

Something wrong with saved recordings of PBS cooking shows?  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Louis_Posture said:

The golf does matter to me. But so do traditions, and to me professionals playing a tournament wearing shorts while listening to music is disrespectful to the game and its traditions.

I understand the premise of a LIV tournament is supposed to be fun, but to me casual does not necessarily mean fun.

Man, imagine if other sports changed their format based on the players just wanting to "have fun". I'd imagine you'd "have more fun" playing flag football than tackle football, but good luck getting people to watch.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

They could have had Owgr if LIV simply complied with the owgr framework. Instead they went rogue, following Norman's arrogance driven empty promises.

Not sure what so confusing for you about my post @Cactus Jack. It seems that most others understand the problems in operating outside an established framework for qualifying OWGR points and with LIV/Norman going rogue. 

Screenshot_20240205-095322.png

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The tour and PIF will do the deal, the key for both is to have events where the best players from both tours play together 

I was thinking it would be 3-4 Aramco events bunched together but I think it makes more sense to have 

6-8 events where the best players from both LIV and the pga tour play together interspersed through the year. 

3-4 Aramco branded/lead sponsored. And 3-4 pga tour events including the players and whatever companies want to pony up the 💰. Maybe fedex can be swayed to forego the fedex cup and be the lead for the pga tour events. 

That would deliver exceptional ratings for the whole entity. 

Perhaps that’s what they are working on now, how to structure and schedule this. It’s really the key to pulling the whole thing off. 

3 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

I tried it again for the last hour or so last night because there was nothing else on - and I want to try and be objective.

As always, these are in my opinion and TO ME...

0 - Just stop it with the music being heard on every single hole. If it was a party hole or something...OK, golf but louder, I get it. But its so distracting to hear it ALL the time. Definite turn off.

1 - The cheerleading is *still* exhausting. I dont need to hear from the announcers all the time about how great LIV is and how great the atmosphere is. Stop it. Foltz was the worst, just...enjoy the tournament for what it is, stop trying to pretend the crowd is amazing. During the playoff he had the cajones to say "these guys arent out here for the money, they just want to win"...and thats probably when I tapped out.

2 - Norman makes me want to punch the screen every time. Just stop - we've already tuned in, you dont have to sell me on how great you are. I could do without him altogether.

3 - I like the focus on the caddie/player conversation and how most of them - other then Foltz - would shutup and let it play out. Wish the PGAT would steal this.

4 - Of all the graphics they cram onto the screen, I didnt see one graphic of the drive distance or distance remaining to the hole. They had total hole distance but absolutely no other breakdowns of the shots themselves. If Sergio is getting outdriven by 50 yards, show me or tell me that.

5 - The team thing, again to me, is still a joke and really distracts from the indivudal portion. I didn't want to hear 18 times about how Rahm would lose but he's still be popping bottles on the podium.

Its a leaderboard full of names you know - you cant deny that. But the product is still not compelling to me, at all, and I would never watch if there was anything else on. I already know that every single guy out there has made MILLIONS just to be there, they've already signed huge 8 or 9 figure deals and they are making a huge check just for being out there and breathing. Again its not compelling - to me.

Distances were clearly shown on almost every shot. 

Watched for a little bit this weekend and also Friday afternoon before switching to Pebble.

The back 9 Saturday had the excitement of a KFT event and not even that. Those KFT guys get pumped because they are playing for their livelihood. 

It just lacked excitement, everything felt contrived. Was rooting for Burmester because I like when lesser known players compete and win, mainly to show how deep golf is and why closed leagues are dumb. 

I will be more interested if AK comes to LIV, I will be rooting for him and following his play with this every shot filmed thing they have planned.

Al-Jack discovers how to use the laugh reaction, this week on "As the LIV Turns". 

• Haha 4

TaylorMade Stealth+ 9° Tour Ad Di 7x

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 

Titleist U500 3iron

TaylorMade P7MC 4-Pw Nippon 120 

50° Titleist Vokey SM8

54° Titleist Vokey SM8

60° Titleist Vokey SM8

TaylorMade Spider SR

TP5x /Pro V1

16 minutes ago, ilikegolf26 said:

Distances were clearly shown on almost every shot. 

Literally watched the last hour without seeing it once. During the playoff they kept mentioning how much shorter Sergio was - did not show distances one single time. I'm not blind, I can see my TV just fine.

• Like 1

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

38 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

I had a whole post of things that still bother me about LIV - and its just not for me, I wont watch.

But I definitely dont understand the hate for shorts. Literally 100 things you could complain about but the shorts thing doesnt even make my radar.

Agree. I have no interest in watching. Even yesterday when the real golf was suspended due to weather. But I don't understand the hate for shorts. Hell, most of us play in shorts all the time. 

I'd rather allow shorts than sweatpants joggers. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

1 minute ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Agree. I have no interest in watching. Even yesterday when the real golf was suspended due to weather. But I don't understand the hate for shorts. Hell, most of us play in shorts all the time. 

I'd rather allow shorts than sweatpants joggers. 

I just dont care what they wear - at all.

Its the one thing I could see the Tour caving on esp if we have another Lucas Glover incident this summer.

2 hours ago, jdl said:

For the 100th time, it's not the format that is the problem. It's the "closed shop" aspect of LIV that's the problem.

So noticed LIV has two guys currently, Laurie Canter and Hudson Swafford, that are not playing on a team. Just playing for individual prize. LIV could have the chance to do the most amazing thing ever, if they did Monday Qualifiers for two spots each week at the moment and put those two qualifiers on an "outsiders" team with Canter and Swafford. Would be quite the rags to riches story if that team somehow managed to podium and win some good cash. Even further down the line if they bring in more players to fill out a permament team, still would be cool to have a team of 4 qualifiers each week that rotates. You dont have to give them exempt status but that would be something. Would also start solving the closed shop idea. Honestly I dont get why LIV is so adament it's their way or the highway for the world ranking points. If you dont fulfill criteria, it's easy for them to say no. Meet the criteria in some fun and interesting ways, seems like a win win. It aint gonna happen, but that's what I would do.

Have to say I enjoyed this one, especially given Rahm's debut and the fact that Nieman railed that 59 on day one. Still wish they would find a way to mute the music in the broadcast background but it seems to be better/less noticeable this year. Great finish although I was pulling to see Rahm in that playoff as well. 

As for PGAT, didn't tune in at all. PB has never been one I care to watch with all the celebrity-ism that abounds. Zero desire to watch Tom Brady top a golf ball either. Was going to tune in Thursday morning but then was abruptly reminded that in order to do so I'd have to pay for ESPN+. No thanks. Tour is in my backyard this week so I'll tune in when a free broadcast is available. Hopefully we have another good WM event even though I wish the clown show that has become WM would revert to what it once was. 

53 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

I had a whole post of things that still bother me about LIV - and its just not for me, I wont watch.

But I definitely dont understand the hate for shorts. Literally 100 things you could complain about but the shorts thing doesnt even make my radar.

I think the whole thing regarding this league is the confusion on their image in general. On one hand they are saying "look at all the top guys we are getting. Rahm, Smith, Koepka, Bryson, etc., take us seriously we are a serious league" but then on the other side they are so casual with some stuff its like they are just there to bum around while playing for massive amounts of cash. The shorts thing, is not professional. It's casual by nature, it just doesnt look right. Maybe it's just because we have seen pants at every pro level forever, it's still just odd to see. Brooks is out there rolling around in all Nike gear, no indication he is actually the captain of the Smash GC. Screams, "I dont care about this thing as much as I care about my own shine". If you happened to see the broadcast booth of Arlo White, Jerry Foltz and Faherty, they clearly just dressed themselves with no coordination even though they know they will be on TV. Arlo and Foltz looked like they picked up their outfits from walmart two years ago and this is what they decided to pack. Like you could atleast get these guys matching LIV golf polo shirts or something to indicate they are part of the organization. It's just an odd attitude to have. If this league didnt have a trillion dollars pumping into it, you would think it was put together as a college project. And that's insulting to college projects. 

6 minutes ago, hackeraz said:

Have to say I enjoyed this one, especially given Rahm's debut and the fact that Nieman railed that 59 on day one. Still wish they would find a way to mute the music in the broadcast background but it seems to be better/less noticeable this year. Great finish although I was pulling to see Rahm in that playoff as well. 

As for PGAT, didn't tune in at all. PB has never been one I care to watch with all the celebrity-ism that abounds. Zero desire to watch Tom Brady top a golf ball either. Was going to tune in Thursday morning but then was abruptly reminded that in order to do so I'd have to pay for ESPN+. No thanks. Tour is in my backyard this week so I'll tune in when a free broadcast is available. Hopefully we have another good WM event even though I wish the clown show that has become WM would revert to what it once was. 

But no music isnt "Golf but Louder". Jokes aside, I havent been to a LIV even but that music must be annoying as hell if you're playing close to the stage. It's loud enough on TV. 

As far as the PGAT this week, you missed some really good golf. Clark with a historic round, Aberg is emerging as the next star. solid leaderboard all weekend. Minimal to non-existent showing of the amateurs, not even close to years past with Bill Murray clowning it up non stop. If this is the continued trend for this event, will be one of the premier events in the game.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jjtour said:

then on the other side they are so casual with some stuff its like they are just there to bum around while playing for massive amounts of cash. The shorts thing, is not professional. It's casual by nature, it just doesnt look right. Maybe it's just because we have seen pants at every pro level forever, it's still just odd to see.

The LPGA doesn't wear shorts. They wear "golf attire", which has largely been defined as allowing skirts for women. And they also wear shorts, which are also considered "golf attire" for both women and men. 

Shorts may not have traditionally been allowed in men's professional golf, but they are "golf attire". Nearly every golf course I go to has a stated policy that you're supposed to show up in "golf attire", and a nice pair of golf shorts is perfectly acceptable at every single one of them. You can't wear jeans. You can't wear a t-shirt. But you can wear golf shorts. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

Again, I just dont care about shorts. If the PGAT announced tomorrow that guys could wear shorts, I wouldn't think it was less professional - I would think you know what, in Memphis in August its 110* and its not 1975 anymore, maybe its OK guys arent wearing long black pants in that weather.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dcmidnight said:

In my mind the wearing of shorts is unprofessional. The tournament looks like a company scramble or a Muni on a Saturday morning. I keep waiting to see a player in cutoff jeans and a tank top with a cooler on a cart. Hard for me to take seriously.

But that's just me.🤣

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

The LPGA doesn't wear shorts. They wear "golf attire", which has largely been defined as allowing skirts for women. And they also wear shorts, which are also considered "golf attire" for both women and men. 

Shorts may not have traditionally been allowed in men's professional golf, but they are "golf attire". Nearly every golf course I go to has a stated policy that you're supposed to show up in "golf attire", and a nice pair of golf shorts is perfectly acceptable at every single one of them. You can't wear jeans. You can't wear a t-shirt. But you can wear golf shorts. 

Men are not permitted to wear short pants at Augusta National GC, Cypress Point GC, LA Country Club and more.

• Like 1