2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)

SheriffBooth

7 hours ago, bobfoster said:

I completely avoid watching LIV. It is exhibition golf, not professional golf. But I pop into this thread now and then merely to voice my continuing displeasure. PIF has been incredibly damaging to the sport. And it is now doing the same thing to professional tennis (the other sport I've long played and watched).

Both sports are, and will be far worse off for fans so long as PIF continues to just buy professional sports as what - to them - is just a hobby for billionaires. They do not care a bit about "the good of the game". 

Bob "golf" Ball is a complete shill at best.  We all know this right? No unpaid real person would post this nonsense. Right?

He may not even be a real person.  If you told me it was an account run out of a hi rise in Jedda where 18 people had the password,  I would not be one bit surprised. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

I’m tellin yous guys the simplest thing is to have 2 tours, ARum won’t give up LIV anyway 

And simply put the top 50 pga guys and top 20 liv guys in 4 huge Aramco events 

Aramco juices the tours coffers and the tour gets the bulk of the media rights 

Otherwise the tour continues with the elevated events for top 70 or so. You can still have turnover since there’s all the other pga tour events, still meritocracy 

LIV agrees to fairer recruiting. 

Then the Ryder Cup event is a huge money maker. 

Rahm, Cam, DJ, Bryson, BK and 7 other top liv guys

vs

Rory SS Spieth JT Cantaloo etc 

Ratings bonanza yo!

Sometime I enjoy Brandel. Sometimes Brandel annoys the hell out of me. If there is ever a PGAT v LIV Ryder Cup like event, Brandel may drive me to commit seppuku. 

As an aussie, the LIV stuff is practically all at a watchable hour down here, time difference in asia is literally 2 or 3 hours generally. Even the Saudi event started at 6.15pm, perfect for a little after dinner watching. 

On that level, i'm glad that we can watch some sort of live golf. The american tour literally starts around 2 AM in the morning here my time, and a man still has to go to work 😅

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pops99 said:

Infinitely would rather watch Valspar than LIV.

Actually had some coffee golf this morning before work and watched the Singapore event, too.

MUCH more enjoyable than the same 50-odd guys who are buddies with Greg and got the Golden Ticket teeing it up with "mumble rap" (hat tip to Bsc) with absolutely no stakes whatsoever. 

Again, you joined this forum 2 days ago and are clearly a LIVbot/shill. 

I joined years ago 

9 minutes ago, ingy said:

As an aussie, the LIV stuff is practically all at a watchable hour down here, time difference in asia is literally 2 or 3 hours generally. Even the Saudi event started at 6.15pm, perfect for a little after dinner watching. 

On that level, i'm glad that we can watch some sort of live golf. The american tour literally starts around 2 AM in the morning here my time, and a man still has to go to work 😅

Its a fair point. I'd like the PGAT to go to Oz or at least more top players playing in the Aussie Open and Aussie PGA. However, we have the same problem. Those events play overnight here. I'm on the west coast so can usually catch a little bit before falling asleep but I'm not pulling an all-nighter no matter how good Royal Melbourne, Kingston Heath, or Victoria are*

Tournaments in GB&I are a little more manageable. Wake up a little bit early and at least catch the leaders on the back 9.  

* I may DVR these events 😉

3 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

Its a fair point. I'd like the PGAT to go to Oz or at least more top players playing in the Aussie Open and Aussie PGA. However, we have the same problem. Those events play overnight here. I'm on the west coast so can usually catch a little bit before falling asleep but I'm not pulling an all-nighter no matter how good Royal Melbourne, Kingston Heath, or Victoria are*

Tournaments in GB&I are a little more manageable. Wake up a little bit early and at least catch the leaders on the back 9.  

* I may DVR these events 😉

Exactly right, vice versa for all of this. I think that's what gets lost here, particularly on this forum, where (I assume) most members are American. 

I'd love to be able to take my son to watch some of the worlds best compete live, but the fact is that very few of the top guys ever come down here, particularly american tour players. Whilst the asian tour and even the european tour have co-sanctioned events here, the pga tour has NEVER held a sanctioned event here, and by all accounts probably never will. 

it's a shame, the golf fans want to see it, as you can see by the size of last years turn out in Adelaide, when LIV bought the brooks koepka's and bryson dechambeau's etc down here. the event ended up being huge, people flew down to watch from all over the country. 

To get tiger woods down here in 2009, the victorian government stumped up $3 million in appearance fees for him just for him to turn up. same with ricky fowler in years following to play in NSW.

What also doesn't help us, is that our big events are in summer (american winter) which is basically the time most of the guys are on holiday and not wanting to travel etc. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ingy said:

Exactly right, vice versa for all of this. I think that's what gets lost here, particularly on this forum, where (I assume) most members are American. 

I'd love to be able to take my son to watch some of the worlds best compete live, but the fact is that very few of the top guys ever come down here, particularly american tour players. Whilst the asian tour and even the european tour have co-sanctioned events here, the pga tour has NEVER held a sanctioned event here, and by all accounts probably never will. 

it's a shame, the golf fans want to see it, as you can see by the size of last years turn out in Adelaide, when LIV bought the brooks koepka's and bryson dechambeau's etc down here. the event ended up being huge, people flew down to watch from all over the country. 

To get tiger woods down here in 2009, the victorian government stumped up $3 million in appearance fees for him just for him to turn up. same with ricky fowler in years following to play in NSW.

What also doesn't help us, is that our big events are in summer (american winter) which is basically the time most of the guys are on holiday and not wanting to travel etc. 

US players have the choice of Tiger’s event or a Fall Schedule tournament with bigger purses at the time of the Australian Open

PGAT has gone out of its way to disincentivise playing on other tours for years 

Great thread.  500+ pages on back and forth on why LIV sucks and why PGA is the best!  Don't and won't watch LIV but I do like how they have disrupted the stale and stagnant PGAT.  Professional golf will unlikely be the same again.  Mostly curious to see how the PIF and SSG are going to get a return on their billions.   Simplistically, would that would be increasing the viewership and making it more appealing to sponsors to come on board?  How would they do this? 

I look forward to seeing this play out. 

Shout out to all those pro-PGA tour posters, especially @Titleist99 @idrive in this thread.  Love the passion! 450+ posts!  That's an incredible effort.  @bscinstnct you are one of my all time favorite posters.  Your use of gifs, memes and videos is always enjoyable to read.  Keep up the terrific work, it is appreciated! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

7 minutes ago, beluga99 said:

Great thread.  500+ pages on back and forth on why LIV sucks and why PGA is the best!  Don't and won't watch LIV but I do like how they have disrupted the stale and stagnant PGAT.  Professional golf will unlikely be the same again.  Mostly curious to see how the PIF and SSG are going to get a return on their billions.   Simplistically, would that would be increasing the viewership and making it more appealing to sponsors to come on board?  How would they do this? 

Shout out to all those pro-PGA tour posters, especially @Titleist99 @idrive in this thread.  Love the passion! 450+ posts!  That's an incredible effort.  @bscinstnct you are one of my all time favorite posters.  Your use of gifs, memes and videos is always enjoyable to read.  Keep up the terrific work, it is appreciated! 🙂

As mentioned previously, I have no idea why the Saudis haven’t used their financial firepower to get a tv deal as broadcast revenue is the key to revenue these days 

Coming back to cricket, the European Cricket Championship is currently being shown live on Fox for 6 weeks 

In golfing terms, the players are a bunch of generally middle aged 10 - 30 handicappers

It’s good for a laugh but it’s like watching the B - C grade club championship 

And LIV can’t get a tv deal?????

• Confused 2

18 minutes ago, beluga99 said:

Bit of perspective when quoting WRX pages maybe? Last year's Master's alone (a single tourney) had 135 pages. 500 pages about the LIV tour in almost two years is not exactly a sign that LIV is taking the golf world by storm. And WRX has fanatics.

Half the casual golfers I play with have kind of heard of them, but probably couldn't tell you when the next LIV tourney is, or the name of a single "team". The LIV tour just isn't really relevant to the mainstream golfing world. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

4 hours ago, bobfoster said:

🤣 "Let's not kid ourselves". Seriously? LIV has a handful of the top, a whole pile of has-beens on the downhill side of their careers, and they fill out their ranks with never-were's. Same guys playing each other every week, in shorts, to rock music (but they Tweet their breathless excitement!!!! Pretty sure they are contractually obligated to, but, y'know, still).

It's an exhibition tour. If you prefer to watch it instead of actual professional golf, good on ya! But "let's not kid ourselves". It's ratings on CW hover right around those of re-runs of the Gilmore Girls and America's Funniest Animals. And on YT? Way more people care about who the Kardashian du jour is dating than care about freaking Talor Gooch, or how the "Drooling Money-Grubbers" (or whatever his "team name" is) are doing. 

Face it. You can love LIV if you want, but the verdict is sorta in. It is in the viewership numbers. This simply isn't considered a serious golf tour. Everyone sees it for what it is. The Saudis trying to buy a global sport for intentions that have nothing to do with the good of the game. They have massive egos and an incredible sense of demeaning entitlement. And they started it by giving obscene amounts of money to two guys with equally massive egos and senses of entitlement - Norman and Mickelson - that had a deep and very public loathing of the PGAT. I mean, seriously, they saw a dude that commissioned a huge bronze statue of himself (do you get how psychopathic, how juvenile, how deeply in need of therapy someone like that is?), and another with absurd gambling debts, and figured heck, we can get these narcissistic losers for less than the price of buying another boring London hotel.

They were correct. 

I personally hope the guys that decided to take the bribes, become indentured servants to the PIF, are never allowed back on the PGAT. Let them pay the price, and wallow in obscurity. There is a whole new generation of golfers emerging on the Tour, and they are amazing to watch. 

If I want to watch an exhibition tour? Really, watching Borgmeier and Berkshire blast 420 drives (to the same irritating rock music) on the WLD is way more interesting than watching flippin' Sergio Garcia and Louis Oosthuizen play for participation trophies. (Don't Blink!!!! I mean, really?)

Let's not kid ourselves. LIV may be interesting to some (mostly 20-somethings it appears - resonates with a lot of TopGolf folks) but it ain't real, professional golf. It just isn't. You can assert whatever you want to on discussion boards on the internet, but at the end of the day professional sports is merely entertainment. It is about eyeballs, viewership. That is what the judge of "quality" is. The XFL is not the NFL. Women's soccer (that I happen to love, and think is slightly more interesting then men's soccer) still gets a fraction of the viewership as the men's World Cup.  And like it or not, LIV just ain't even remotely in the league of the PGAT. That's just what the sheer, raw numbers are saying. 

LIV and PIF, Norman and Mickelson, shot their shot. And it didn't work. 

And I'll tell you something else (that you won't want to hear). I've done business with the Saudis. They are not unsophisticated. If you don't think they don't have a (quiet) exit strategy mapped out (just in case), you don't know business. These are coldly rational people. They have a purpose in everything they do. But they are not rich, and do not stay rich, because they are not willing to cut their losses when the time comes. And if you don't think some of the top players that went to LIV aren't starting to have some regrets ... well, some of them are already starting to hint about that.

Speak in derogatory terms about Valspar if you wish, but the long term future of golf is in some of the guys playing there, not in the guys that chose short term participation fortunes over grinding it out and taking their place in the game's traditions - that the Saudi's have proven themselves to be be not only indifferent to, but willing to disrupt for what is clearly their own self-serving, short term purposes. 

You’re not the only one who has dealt with the Saudis & if you think that they’re any friends of mine then you’re sadly mistaken 

In the western world, some people regard a win/win deal as the perfect outcome 

That doesn’t even enter their minds 

It’s either win/loss or loss/loss where they inflict as much pain upon the counter party on the way out the door 

I almost laughed out loud when the media described Yasir as “charming”

Of course he is 

But do you know who isn’t?

The guy behind him & he wields all the power 

PGAT’s initial response (or lack thereof) was the worst possible tactic they could employ 

Anyway, that’s been done to death so let’s move on 

LIV is obviously professional golf as professionals get paid & that’s exactly what’s happening 

Furthermore, calling 2 of the greatest golfers in history “losers” is nonsensical 

News flash: humans are imperfect with Exhibit A in the world of golf being Tiger

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, bobfoster said:

Bit of perspective when quoting WRX pages maybe? Last year's Master's alone (a single tourney) had 135 pages. 500 pages about the LIV tour in almost two years is not exactly a sign that LIV is taking the golf world by storm. And WRX has fanatics.

Half the casual golfers I play with have kind of heard of them, but probably couldn't tell you when the next LIV tourney is, or the name of a single "team". The LIV tour just isn't really relevant to the mainstream golfing world. 

I have little to zero interest in LIV. But I know my interest in PGA Tour has definitely waned. I have watched the highlights of Rd 4 of the Players this year. That’s it. Cool finish though. 

You may disagree but 500+ pages of LIV vs PGA is significant on any forum. The passionate posters I mentioned have over 1,500 posts between them. In one topic. That’s three members. Amazing! My query was, how are the investors going to get a return? $1.5b is significant from SSG. How are they making that back? I honestly don’t know, so would be keen for the more business savvy to educate me. Especially if they can’t get the eyeballs outside the Majors, of which I believe the PGA Tour does not control. 

Again, it will be fascinating to see how it unfolds. Personally I don’t care how much the players get paid. Just love to see great, exciting golf down the stretch. Not going to lie, Phil vs Henrik at Royal Troon in 2016 is one of my favourite golfing memories. And I miss Jordan contending every week. 

Edited by beluga99
Spelling
  • Like 1

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

59 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Random account completely dormant for 8 years, pops up suddenly as LIV shill from AUS...right on brand for this thread.

Sure mate

Name one thing I have said in support of LIV

I have literally posted about how LIV events are failing to capture viewers 

Fact is that I had forgotten that I had an account here 

Scrub that

I’m a genius who created an account 8 years ago in full knowledge that a then kid from Saudi would order the dismemberment of a US resident before trying to take down the PGAT

Completely obvious to anyone with an IQ >700

Edited by tomjas
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, beluga99 said:

I have little to zero interest in LIV. But I know my interest in PGA Tour has definitely waned. I have watched the highlights of Rd 4 of the Players this year. That’s it. Cool finish though. 

You may disagree but 500+ pages of LIV vs PGA is significant on any forum. The passionate posters I mentioned have over 1,500 posts between them. In one topic. That’s three members. Amazing! My query was, how are the investors going to get a return? $1.5b is significant from SSG. How are they making that back? I honestly don’t know, so would be keen for the more business savvy to educate me. Especially if they can’t get the eyeballs outside the Majors, of which I believe the PGA Tour does not control. 

Again, it will be fascinating to see how it unfolds. Personally I don’t care how much the players get paid. Just love to see great, exciting golf down the stretch. Not going to lie, Phil vs Henrik at Royal Troon in 2016 is one of my favourite golfing memories. And I miss Jordan contending every week. 

The only way SSG gets a return on their money is to do business with PIF, and have events that unify the best players into one field 

Ideally, they do a full deal, PIF sinks a multi billion 💰 stake into pga tour enterprises, and has an interest in the tours success. It also enables the real estate deals/acquisitions that JDunne slides to ie. buy Pebble Beach (TWs company owns a big stake in pebble coincidentally; )

4 Aramco events and an RC event could juice revenues by 100MM perhaps much more

So, growth and a return require a deal with PIF. Otherwise, revenues decline and SSG needs to propose cuts 💰 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, beluga99 said:

Shout out to all those pro-PGA tour posters, especially @Titleist99 @idrive in this thread.  Love the passion! 450+ posts!  That's an incredible effort.  @bscinstnct you are one of my all time favorite posters.  

Love that those guys are “pro-PGA tour”, but anyone who mentions anything even slightly positive about LIV (in the LIV discussion thread mind you) is clearly a paid shill. 2 sides of the coin I guess!

32 minutes ago, tomjas said:

Sure mate

Name one thing I have said in support of LIV

I have literally posted about how LIV events are failing to capture viewers 

Fact is that I had forgotten that I had an account here 

Scrub that

I’m a genius who created an account 8 years ago in full knowledge that a then kid from Saudi would order the dismemberment of a US resident before trying to take down the PGAT

Completely obvious to anyone with an IQ >700

IQ > 700? I think that rules out all humans.

Edited by ahenderX

10 hours ago, Dutch1008 said:

I agree that the PGAT wants the PIFs money and would rather have an ally than an enemy. I don't think that is the same as wanting LIV. 

I also think the DOJ stuff is simply LIV talking points. The DOJ doesn't seem to have a probably with the NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL having a monopoly on their sports. They seem to encourage it. 

The whole DOJ thing is a red herring and also a media "talking point" for folks at GC and elsewhere that don't know what they are talking about.

Not as bad as the Chicken Little nonsense about ratings media folks have been spewing and mostly parroting lately just for clicks and eyeballs.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

The only way SSG gets a return on their money is to do business with PIF, and have events that unify the best players into one field 

Ideally, they do a full deal, PIF sinks a multi billion 💰 stake into pga tour enterprises, and has an interest in the tours success. It also enables the real estate deals/acquisitions that JDunne slides to ie. buy Pebble Beach (TWs company owns a big stake in pebble coincidentally; )

4 Aramco events and an RC event could juice revenues by 100MM perhaps much more

So, growth and a return require a deal with PIF. Otherwise, revenues decline and SSG needs to propose cuts 💰 

100%. Now you're playin' chess.🤣

9 hours ago, beluga99 said:

LOL! >>>>>>I do what I can to keep stroke play 72 hole tournaments alive.😆

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tomjas said:

Haven’t you heard?

I signed up here 8 years ago as part of a sleeper cell only to emerge now as a LIV shill

Q criteria included IQ > 700

Obvious when you think about it 

And to think it's been in the planning stage for at least 8 years.  Wow.  Points for humor.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter