2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping G430 LST and Max drivers, G430 Max fairway wood & G430 hybrid – 2022 Shriners Children's Open

atursky

7 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

Conversely... I'm glad that Ping G430 = "old faithful/Reliable".  Compared to the "Wild Stallion" descriptions of TM Stealth2 and Cobra Aerojet... I'd take "old reliable" Ping G430 every time!

I’ll take a driver that improves consistency across the face.  I dropped the Stealth for the Rouge ST Max LS last year and it was a godsend.  I’m probably gonna grab the 430LST, but I may pick up a Paradym head on here when one presents itself.  

Edited by Redbird
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Strategery said:

Anyone else feeling a bit deflated from watching G430 reviews? I watched a ton, and the results seem uneventful (other than sound improvement for Max).

I badly need a new driver.

It really does feel like we are in a period of time where the gains in equipment are just so marginal between iterations.  Just not many gains to be had.  Almost like unless some of the limitations on head size, COR or something change, we are going to float in this range for a while.  To be fair we have already been floating here for a while.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, anw79 said:

It really does feel like we are in a period of time where the gains in equipment are just so marginal between iterations.  Just not many gains to be had.  Almost like unless some of the limitations on head size, COR or something change, we are going to float in this range for a while.  To be fair we have already been floating here for a while.

You either swing faster, lower spin, or increase launch.  Materially they’re not getting anything more out of woods.  Taylormade can make a driver with a “hypersonic burlap face”, it won’t matter in terms of what an individual is going to get out of the club.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, anw79 said:

We all fall for the marketing machine every year.  Where do we really expect gains to come from...the COR is maxed out and has been for years.  You can try and improved MOI and optimize launch condition but there isn't much else that can be done.  Yet there will be new releases regularly for every major company because that is how the game is played. 

Look at the best players in the world who are best positioned to take advantage of improvements in equipment...they have averaged less than 1 yard increase per year over the last twenty years (link below)...and most of that is probably coming from better conditioning and exercise routines and not better equipment.   😉

https://www.pga.com/archive/how-driving-distance-has-changed-over-past-40-years-pga-tour

• Like 1

3 hours ago, capking said:

Costs in Canada for the driver is $850 LST, $810 for max and SFT.

$520 for the fairway woods. No LST listed

I just bought a G430 LST off Global Golf Canada for $779. Seen the $850 price on Golf Town and other Canadian sites, so I had to swoop it up before they change the price.

1 minute ago, BubbaBallesteros said:

I just bought a G430 LST off Global Golf Canada for $779. Seen the $850 price on Golf Town and other Canadian sites, so I had to swoop it up before they change the price.

I think the lst could be a winner this year. I've liked pings but that softball bat sound has kept me from playing one. 

I got a chance to hit a 10.5 Max and 9 degree LST today. I'm currently playing a 10.5 G400 max and have the 9 degree G425 max as well. Both the 430 Max/LST sound significantly better than the 425 but thats not tough considering how bad it sounds. 

I was surprised how much better I hit the LST vs the Max. I initially tried the Max with the Alta R shaft and contact was all over the face. The golf town employee let me try the LST with the tour chrome R shaft and immediately contact was better. Ball speed went way up. I tried the tour chrome shaft in the Max but did not hit it as well as the LST. Could this be due to the head weight even though its only a few grams?

I only swing around 100-103 mph. Is that swing speed too slow for the LST? I'm wondering if I should try them both again on a different day or just order the LST as I really liked the look and feel.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BubbaBallesteros said:

Nice, the place I go to gets the heads next week. I want to do a fitting, only ever done one with irons before. Play the 410 Plus right now.

1 hour ago, anw79 said:

The entire driver market is basically a scam but if people want to continue paying $500+ every year to gain maybe 5 yards they'll keep spitting them out.

• Like 1

I have played 5-6 rounds with the G430 LST and a similar number of rounds with the G430 Max. Most rounds were 9* heads turned down to 8*. I haven't found the LST to be much lower spin than the Max - I might even spin the Max lower! Ball speed on my GC3 seems to favour the Max by 2-3mph.

The sound is much better than the G425, which I couldn't play due to the sound. I normally have trouble turning over the LST versions, but didn't have this problem with the G430 LST.

Both drivers are forgiving and very straight. Will have a fitting in a few days to determine which one I buy (plus a comparison to the Paradym Triple Diamond).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, true8 said:

I got a chance to hit a 10.5 Max and 9 degree LST today. I'm currently playing a 10.5 G400 max and have the 9 degree G425 max as well. Both the 430 Max/LST sound significantly better than the 425 but thats not tough considering how bad it sounds. 

I was surprised how much better I hit the LST vs the Max. I initially tried the Max with the Alta R shaft and contact was all over the face. The golf town employee let me try the LST with the tour chrome R shaft and immediately contact was better. Ball speed went way up. I tried the tour chrome shaft in the Max but did not hit it as well as the LST. Could this be due to the head weight even though its only a few grams?

I only swing around 100-103 mph. Is that swing speed too slow for the LST? I'm wondering if I should try them both again on a different day or just order the LST as I really liked the look and feel.

shafts are tricky and typically require a fair amount of testing to dial in, but at that speed you *should* be firmly in the stiff shaft category. I would suggest at least trying something stiffer as it could unlock some additional gains. 

7 hours ago, Pleasedwith3putts said:

My take home was his efficiency was really low, rarely above 1.4 and ballspeeds of 165 and 168 MPH not great at 119mph swing speed??

Distance and accuracy better with the LST than he was with the Paradym or Stealth 2, and that was with the Ping stock offerings. He was hitting exotics in the other two.

Edited by Konklifer
  • Like 2
PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

4 hours ago, Konklifer said:

Distance and accuracy better with the LST than he was with the Paradym or Stealth 2, and that was with the Ping stock offerings. He was hitting exotics in the other two.

I've not seen the other reviews. Wasn't the Ping one filmed at Ping HQ in Scottsdale in which case the distance is always going to be maxed out there using trackman unless they adjusted monitor set up vs most other places, ball and swing speed are the best equalisers of potential when comparing results from different sessions, locations and monitors

24 minutes ago, Teebs said:

I was fitted into the G425 Hybrid with a Tensei Orange stiff. Obviously this shaft is no longer available, will the Hzrdus Smoke Red be a good alternative (4 or 5 hybrid).

Thanks!

I had the same club/shaft combo last year and it's the first ever Tensei shaft I couldn't get on with whatsoever.......it was like a telegraph pole for me! Best to try the PX Hzrdus Smoke Red before you buy but don't discount the Ping Black CB either.

Edited by Gareth
  • Like 2
Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 10.5 Driver/MCA Vanquish 4 Stiff
Titleist TSR2+ 13.0 degree 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15.0 degree (@ 17) 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 22.0 degree 4 hybrid/MCA Kai’Li White HY 80 Stiff
Taylormade P790 2021 5-PW irons/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 50 degree SB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 54 degree HB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Taylormade MG3 58 degree LB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Odyssey White Hot OG 7 Bird 34” putter/Stroke Lab double bend shaft
Taylormade TP5x/Titleist Pro V1x ball

Vessel/Cobra Tour bag 2022

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

I had the same club/shaft combo last year and it's the first ever Tensei shaft I couldn't get on with whatsoever.......it was like a telegraph pole for me! Best to try the PX Hzrdus Smoke Red before you buy but don't discount the Ping Black CB either.

Think I'm gonna hang on until they start with the 2023 demo days to get a fitting.

The Ping CB shaft doesn't work for me..

10 hours ago, true8 said:

@true8 Would be interested in your insights (and views of other Golfwrx'ers here) w.r.t. the Ping G430's sound & performance, vis-a-vis the G400?

I have the G400 (not the Max), and still believe that = one of the best-sounding drivers in recent years (perhaps it's partly due to the G400 = 445cc in size... vs the others are typically 460cc?)

Edited by JungleJimbo

11 hours ago, anw79 said:

Yes exactly.  However, since we are in the G430 thread, I will give credit to Marty from Ping.  Out of all the releases I have seen in the last couple days, he has been the most transparent and best able to articulate what they were doing with this driver.  He also admits at this point they're trying to scrape a percentage or 2 of improvement together by tweaking several elements.  This is why I am such a fan of the brand.  They are not misleading the customer.

This here is a big reason why I love Ping products.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MMB1500 said:

Canadian Pricing:

Driver: $800 + tax.

Fairway: $520 + tax.

Hell Yeah Yes GIF by Adele Morse - Stoned Fox Official

Is that much different in Canada than other brands? Here in the U.S., TaylorMade is most expensive at $630, followed by Callaway and Titleist at $600, then Ping at $580, Cobra at $550 and Srixon at $500.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

2 minutes ago, eric61 said:

Is that much different in Canada than other brands? Here in the U.S., TaylorMade is most expensive at $630, followed by Callaway and Titleist at $600, then Ping at $580, Cobra at $550 and Srixon at $500.

Stealth 2+ driver and fwy are $829 and $589. Insane.

• Like 2

D - TSR3 | Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W - Stealth+ | Ventus Blue 7X

5W - TSR2 | AD DI 8X

4H - TSR2 | AD DI 9X

5-PW - MP-223 | PX LZ 6.5

50/55/60 - MG4 | DG TI S400

P - Studio Stainless NP2 350g

B - ProV1x

B - Linksmaster

4 hours ago, Pleasedwith3putts said:

I've not seen the other reviews. Wasn't the Ping one filmed at Ping HQ in Scottsdale in which case the distance is always going to be maxed out there using trackman unless they adjusted monitor set up vs most other places, ball and swing speed are the best equalisers of potential when comparing results from different sessions, locations and monitors

It was. The others were filmed at TM and Cally as well I believe. 

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

3 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

@true8 Would be interested in your insights (and views of other Golfwrx'ers here) w.r.t. the Ping G430's sound & performance, vis-a-vis the G400?

I have the G400 (not the Max), and still believe that = one of the best-sounding drivers in recent years (perhaps it's partly due to the G400 = 445cc in size... vs the others are typically 460cc?)

I didn't bring my 400 to compare as I was just there to buy golf balls for my trip to Mexico at the end of the month. I'm in Canada so the swing isn't great right now but performance wise I was surprised at how forgiving the LST was hitting it different parts of the face. Sorry don't have any launch monitor numbers for you as I didn't take a photo before I left. 

I agree, I really like the sound of the 400 also. The 430 max sounds similar, its got a good strong thwack to it however maybe not as high pitched as the 400? The LST is more muted but both sound great. I only hit about 20 balls with each driver but leaning towards the LST even though historically I've always had the max. 

Edited by true8
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, RodrigoNicely said:

Delayed as of now. Having some issues with the heads is my understanding 

Second swing fairway review says no lst this year ping must be having serious production or quality issues with the titanium g430 lst fairway which sucks 

Titleist tsr3 8* C1 Diamana zf60tx 44.75”

Ping g425 LST 14.5 Diamana zf70tx 42.5”

PXG gen 2 5 wood 18* Diamana TB80tx 41”

PXG GEN 2  hybrid 22* Ventus blue 9x tip 1.5 inch 39”

Mizuno mp20 MMC 5-pw kbs c-taper 130X

Mizuno t20 50* kbs c-taper 130x

Mizuno ES21 54/58 kbs c-taper 130x

Ping Sigma G Kushin 33" custom flat cat svelte 

-prov1x

15 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Conversely... I'm glad that Ping G430 = "old faithful/Reliable".  Compared to the "Wild Stallion" descriptions of TM Stealth2 and Cobra Aerojet... I'd take "old reliable" Ping G430 every time!

Surprisingly... i've not yet seen Rick Shiels' review of the  Ping G430... or have i missed it?

Don't think he has released it yet.

14 hours ago, BubbaBallesteros said:

Nice find!

I have a fitting with TXG scheduled in late February.  I also took advantage of their Boxing Day sale and bought $3K of gift cards at 15% off.  The G430 Max seems to check all the boxes for me, but I'm going to wait and see if that's the right driver for me.  On the shopping list is: driver, 3w, and an iron set (and maybe a 3h).  So probably spending much more than $3k, but I don't mind.  I've been using a mix bag of used clubs for a while now and wanted to finally get a mostly full set of brand new clubs... Kirkland wedges are staying in the bag. LOL.

16 hours ago, Konklifer said:

Be careful looking only at distance. Balls go further in Scottsdale. That being said, he did seem to get along with these better than the others but I know how much different my swing can feel from day to day, so I don’t put a lot of weight in that. 

Edited by leftycabe