Closing in on the end of the year

T.B.

It’s almost the end of the golf year here in Ohio.  I know we’ll have some nice days left but not like spring and summer.  The last few years I couldn’t wait till winter as I started to struggle late summer and fall. This  year I’ve played very well for me (5.4 hc) that I don’t want it to end.  Hopefully I can extend the golf season some and make some improvements this winter.  

• Like 3

Had a perfect late-season round today. The Bermuda is going dormant and gets a little more brown by the week, but courses are still really playable for now. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Season is almost over here.  Maybe a week left and then the forecast goes into the dumper.

In many respects a lost year for me.  Late start due to extended winter.  Heavy rains mid-year.  Spotty play by me.  At 62 I can't be wasting years like this.  Only a few good years left in this body.  Need to work on a few things this winter (setup and making a better turn with the hips) and then hit the ground running in spring.

• Like 2

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Maryland here... as long as I'm paying dues I'm playing golf.  I'm a full time carrier and I found that as long as you have the right gear that it's never too cold to play.  I really look forward to when most people stop playing so that I have the course to myself.  As much as I love summer golf I don't love early morning tee times and I really enjoy being able to go out around midday in the winter and playing in 2.5 hours.  I also enjoy that once I cannot enter any more handicap scores for the season I'm much more relaxed.  I'm much more willing to work on swing changes, play from different tees, and experiment different strategies to play my home course.

Edited by FormerBigDaddy
  • Like 2

Chicago, and had a few snow flakes this morning in the suburbs. We start our Fall/Winter golf league on Wednesday and the high of 47 is forecast. I hope to play until the snow covers the ground which may mean another 6 weeks if lucky. Time to break out the layers and gloves....... UGH!

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

Here in Delaware I will being playing sparingly from about mid November until mid March.  I have a few rounds line up for the coming weeks.  I try to adjust my expectations as the weather turns.  The most important thing is to be out on the course playing.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

I am sad the season is coming to an end, this is last week of golf league. I will be embarking on a winter long weekly driving range sessions with my daughter. We need her to come out of winter hitting it well. 

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

My last round is this coming Saturday. A lot of courses have less and less tee times available mainly due to frost in the morning and lack of sunlight in the evening. Plus we're getting to that point where it's always wet out and playing on a soggy course isn't fun. I do hope to make a trip to Arizona or somewhere warm during the winter. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Outside of Boston, I'll play all year if there isn't snow on the ground. Tough to find an open course but there are a few. Might not be the best golfing conditions but it's peaceful and quiet and a good walk.  And you can play really fast too.  A few layers impact your swing but again it's not too bad.

23 hours ago, MattM97 said:

My last round is this coming Saturday. A lot of courses have less and less tee times available mainly due to frost in the morning and lack of sunlight in the evening. Plus we're getting to that point where it's always wet out and playing on a soggy course isn't fun. I do hope to make a trip to Arizona or somewhere warm during the winter. 

We still have at least 2 more weeks!! 

I've got Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun, scheduled for sure..  🤙🏼 anymore after these dates is pure gravy.. 😅

PS: going further west extends our playing season... Crosswinds G&CC in burlington is a solid option.

Play well and keep going till the snow fly's.  🙂

Titleist....

35 minutes ago, dropkicked said:

We still have at least 2 more weeks!! 

I've got Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun, scheduled for sure..  🤙🏼 anymore after these dates is pure gravy.. 😅

PS: going further west extends our playing season... Crosswinds G&CC in burlington is a solid option.

Play well and keep going till the snow fly's.  🙂

It's just playing with my friends they already packing it in for the year, I'd play more it's just playing solo or with randoms I don't know is kinda different and not always what I'm after. 

I work out that way so not a drive for me I've never played Crosswinds but have played Lowville a bunch. We're going up to TPC this Saturday and hopefully ending on a high note. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Took a break this week as the temps dropped to highs in the 50's. The temps will go up again soon so more golf in the forecast. I find a wool under layer really is a game changer, and I got my wool hat with earmuffs built in. So hard finding that perfect hat for cold weather. I want a high at least in the 60's, but depends on how bad I want to play. I have never played more golf than in the last 6 months since retiring. My shoulder definitely needs a break, using the Ten on it right now.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

It's always strange hearing people talk about the end of the season.  I've been playing 3 to 4 days a week for the past 5 months, but season is just starting.  We never lowered the high season rates from last year.  Kept them high all through the off season.  And actually increased them for this year starting Sept 1.  We'll still see near 75,000 arounds again this year, even without lower off season rates.

Here in Florida the courses are gonna get busy quickly over the next 30 days.  The weather will be perfect for golf for the next 6 or 8 months. The swing is coming along and the cap is going down as the high season approaches. 

One of the reasons I live in the Southeast is for year around golf.  We have a few weeks in Jan/Feb where rain will shut us down and maybe a few days with highs in the 30's.  Other than that I could play multiple times a week all year long.  

Health is declining now and I struggled to play more than once a week for the last 6 weeks.  Hopefully I will still be around come spring time and can enjoy another summer in the sun.

Enjoy every round you get boys and girls.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  Learn to laugh at yourself.  Remember it's just a game.

• Thanks 1

On 10/17/2022 at 9:45 AM, FormerBigDaddy said:

Maryland here... as long as I'm paying dues I'm playing golf.  I'm a full time carrier and I found that as long as you have the right gear that it's never too cold to play.  I really look forward to when most people stop playing so that I have the course to myself.  As much as I love summer golf I don't love early morning tee times and I really enjoy being able to go out around midday in the winter and playing in 2.5 hours.  I also enjoy that once I cannot enter any more handicap scores for the season I'm much more relaxed.  I'm much more willing to work on swing changes, play from different tees, and experiment different strategies to play my home course.

Where do you play? 

When I was younger and not as many injuries I felt the same way. 

I miss the Southeast! In western PA now….my first winter here in which I will attempt to play as much as possible. 

Wool or UA Cold Gear base layer and merino socks

Thin sweater

Jacket — Galvin Green en route 

Merino beanie

This gear plus playing on foot I should be good unless it’s so cold the courses are closed. Only challenge I see is it’s really hard to walk some of the terrain here in western PA!

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

13 hours ago, mshills said:

I miss the Southeast! In western PA now….my first winter here in which I will attempt to play as much as possible. 

Wool or UA Cold Gear base layer and merino socks

Thin sweater

Jacket — Galvin Green en route 

Merino beanie

This gear plus playing on foot I should be good unless it’s so cold the courses are closed. Only challenge I see is it’s really hard to walk some of the terrain here in western PA!

If you are a walker use cart gloves between shots, I recommend the titleist ones.  They'll keep your hands and fingers toasty while walking and they're easy to slide on and off for the 30 seconds it takes the hit a shot.  You can also keep your playing glove on the whole time.  This was a game changer for me... often times i found my hands sweating last winter even well into the low 30's.  To me this beat out any winter playing gloves BY FAR.  When your fingers aren't separated by material they stay much warmer.  You can even make a fist inside the cart gloves and put hand warmers in there.  To me if your hands are warm you can play in the coldest of cold.

Also, a neck gator comes in clutch as well.  I also use the titleist one for that and if you cover you mouth and nose while walking when it's really cold you'll again find yourself shocked at how warm you'll stay.  Pair it when a nice warm beanie and you're golden.

Good long wool socks are awesome too. 

I also wear a winterized golf paint that stay shockingly warm.  (UA Coldgear Infrared Golf Pants)

Sounds like you got the jacket and base layer covered.  If you have a good warm winter golf jacket you'll probably only need a base layer under unless you plan to take your jacket off.

Edited by FormerBigDaddy
  • Like 1

Most courses close in western Massachusetts around Thanksgiving. I will play until then. Wind pants, a quilted shirt, and a wind jacket and I’m good to go until the temperature drops below 45*F. Those wind jackets and pants truly keep your body heat trapped inside quite well. I’ll add ear muffs if it’s more than a little breezy on the course. Our high temperature today is predicted to be 56*F with plenty of sunshine, so I’m teeing off at 1:00. Round #143, here I come!

Central Massachusetts here. Waiting to get my flu shot so I'll take a minute to comment. So far the weather hasn't been too bad, although we've had a few rainy days lately. My son and I will be heading out to play tomorrow afternoon, and the weather sounds good, sunny and cool with a bit of wind. I'll be taking out my vintage set of clubs (persimmons, forged irons, Bulls Eye putter) for probably the last time this year. I don't think there will be many more times we'll be able to play, but as for myself I'll play until the snows hit, then it's working out and practicing my swing and short putting indoors until spring.

My last round is likely this Saturday, and for several reasons: 

- I've been dealing with tennis elbow the past 3-4 weeks. Wearing a brace allows me to play, but I think the only way it's ever got a chance of healing is to let it rest

- My home course is currently having all our bunkers renovated (amongst some other improvements). They are closing it down to a 9 hole loop starting this Friday. Might be worth going out for a little hit and giggle, but other than that I think I'll just wait till it's fully re-opened in spring.

- My wife and I just got back this past weekend from 6 great rounds of golf in Hilton Head. Seems like a good way to put a bow on the season. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Can't imagine not having year round golf, gotta be tough. I have a rule to not play under 50, but mostly because i can just wait a few days and itll be warmer again

Lefty

Mavrik - Rogue White 60TX

TS2 15* - Tensei White 75X

ZU85 3UDI - Tensei Blue 85TX

Z785 4-PW - X100

MD5 10S 52* 

MD3  12S 56*

Jaws Raw 60* 12X

Phantom 5.5

• 2 weeks later...

PA here. As much as I can I try to make the season year round. Agree with the OP in that its a good time of year to work on things you may not want to try during the season. 

I have found if you want to play somewhat competitively with the better local players, you almost have to play year round. There are the few naturals who take the winter off and pick right back up, but for the most part the scratch guys around here who are playing in county events or GAP stuff during the summer are out as much as they can in the winter. There is a pretty big thing around here called the Penguin tour, probably 100 guys, maybe more. And thats a range of handicaps, so even some of the higher handicappers are out there grinding in the cold. 

Everyone has a different mindset. Some like the break, need it physically, or maybe maritally. But if you can stand the cold and have the time, no reason you can’t keep at it until they kick you off the course!