2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

How dumb is it to play Bridgestone extra soft golf ball for low hcp

LowAndLeft32

Was given a sleeve a vrisdgestone extra soft golf balls from a sales guy. Never hit them until now. 

Hit 15 balls on the simulator with driver. Drives were long straighter and higher launch. Launch was a little high at 16* and slo. Was 1650. My swing speed is 106mph. 

The sleeve says for players that shoot over 100. But I’m a 9 index. 

Based on swing speed and handicap this would not apper to be the ball for me. But it felt nice and soft and whe. Far and straighter. So is it crazy to play? 

I assume the ball is meant for ladies and senior. 

I don’t want to be the guy showing up playing essentially a flying lady. 

Edited by LowAndLeft32

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

16 minutes ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

Was given a sleeve a vrisdgestone extra soft golf balls from a sales guy. Never hit them until now. 

Hit 15 balls on the simulator with driver. Drives were long straighter and higher launch. Launch was a little high at 16* and slo. Was 1650. My swing speed is 106mph. 

Based on swing speed and handicap this would not apper to be the ball for me. But it felt nice and soft and whe. Far and straighter. So is it crazy to play? 

Kind of silly post, there's no rule as to which ball is for which type of player. Play what performs for you or how you like the feel. I'm guessing it's the e6 soft or e12 contact ?

I really like the feel of these kind of balls off the driver, I have a similar SS around 105-115, just depends on the results as to whether you want more distance off the tee, or more control around the approach.

You inspire me to go try them out again this weekend, recently been playing a lot of firmer balls.

Don't fall for the marketting, play what feels or performs well in your targetted area. Anyone wants to challenge or make fun of you won't be laughing when you play well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TM Mini Brnr 9* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

TM Mini Brnr 11.5* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

Callaway Rogue Max 5W Attas 6Rockstar 6X

Edel SMS Pro 5-P, One Length (8i) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

RC SG-10 wedges 50, 54, 58, 62 One Length (PW) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

All sorts of Toulon blade putters.

XXIO premium ball.

7 minutes ago, Andygolderson said:

Kind of silly post, there's no rule as to which ball is for which type of player. Play what performs for you or how you like the feel. I'm guessing it's the e6 soft or e12 contact ?

I really like the feel of these kind of balls off the driver, I have a similar SS around 105-115, just depends on the results as to whether you want more distance off the tee, or more control around the approach.

You inspire me to go try them out again this weekend, recently been playing a lot of firmer balls.

Don't fall for the marketting, play what feels or performs well in your targetted area. Anyone wants to challenge or make fun of you won't be laughing when you play well.

The box is blue and says extra soft. So I don’t think it’s the e6 or e12. Might be a year for to old. 

3 minutes ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

The box is blue and says extra soft. So I don’t think it’s the e6 or e12. Might be a year for to old. 

interesting ! maybe post a pic ? B X S or JDM are the only ones i can recall having blue on the box.

TM Mini Brnr 9* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

TM Mini Brnr 11.5* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

Callaway Rogue Max 5W Attas 6Rockstar 6X

Edel SMS Pro 5-P, One Length (8i) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

RC SG-10 wedges 50, 54, 58, 62 One Length (PW) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

All sorts of Toulon blade putters.

XXIO premium ball.

Dude, if it works play it. No need to make a difficult game any more difficult. If you're scared of what your buddies might say, then go back to missing fairways and shorter drives. I'm a single digit and play Callaway Supersofts. Just as long off the tee as anything else, longer with irons, and  provide a high enough ball flight for me so no stopping issues on the greens.

• Like 3

See if you like it around and on the greens compared to a "premium" ball.

• Like 2

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

It doesn’t matter if it’s a crap ball if it works for you.  However, you have no idea if it works for you.  Driver on a sim is not the way to go about picking a golf ball.  Not to mention that 1650 may create some bombs but on the course is likely a recipe for disaster.  Putt, chip and pitch with it some and see how you like it…

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Dude, if it works play it. No need to make a difficult game any more difficult. If you're scared of what your buddies might say, then go back to missing fairways and shorter drives. I'm a single digit and play Callaway Supersofts. Just as long off the tee as anything else, longer with irons, and  provide a high enough ball flight for me so no stopping issues on the greens.

Well said. Ego is a funny thing especially when it comes to preconceived golf notions.

• Like 1

I played a few once, they are a decent non-urethane ball. Go for it.

Fwiw, I play Noodle and Pinnacle Rush with similar results.

Edited by A.Princey

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

Old enough to remember one of the Edwards' boys winning a tour event with a Pinnacle.  If it checks all the boxes for you and it's on the USGA ball list... play it!

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

10 hours ago, jomatty said:

It doesn’t matter if it’s a crap ball if it works for you.  However, you have no idea if it works for you.  Driver on a sim is not the way to go about picking a golf ball.  Not to mention that 1650 may create some bombs but on the course is likely a recipe for disaster.  Putt, chip and pitch with it some and see how you like it…

This exactly.  A few drives on the simulator won't tell you what is going to happen over 18 holes or more.  Only when you put it in to play will you know if it is the ball for you.  And, if it works, then be happy that you get to save money on balls so you can spend more money on clubs!

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

If working for you who cares what marketing b.s. is on the box?

Example, remember the Precept Laddie, which was result of success male players had with the MC Lady?

Or, I only swing about 100 with a driver, but I still prefer to play Tour B XS in warmer temps, works great for me though I don't meet the 'over 105 mph' club speed the marketing stuff on the box says.

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

Really bad idea. That other site's testing said it doesn't work for someone with your swing characteristics.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Maybe a few things to consider…

Feel has no correlation to performance. If feel is your primary goal in ball selection, just buy Chrome Softs, they feel great.

The most significant change across compression is trajectory. The lower the compression, the earlier in its flight it reaches its maximum height. If you have too a high swing speed or launch angle vs. the ball’s native characteristics, the impact energy is wasted by creating excessive height vs. distance. With short irons and wedges, this effect also makes your distance progression “bunch up”, I.e. your gapping tends to collapse.

When you hit balls in simulators that are not full-flight radar models, the only data the machine has are the launch characteristics. It obviously has no idea of the actual full flight. It creates its flight profile using a ball “model” in software, and generally this model is a 2019 V1. When you hit your SuperSoft, the sim sees that you’re hitting your V1 with a higher than normal launch angle and lower than normal spin, and reports that you hit your SuperSoft/V1 a long way indeed. No.

The great score killer for non-urethane balls is the lack of full-distance control across your wedges, short, and mid-irons. For my clubs with a V1x, my wedges have almost no roll. My 7 iron has about 5 yards. With lob wedge, everything outside of about 40 yards will no have significant roll.  Many surlyn balls will product 15+ yards of roll with 7 iron, and literally half the spin of a quality urethane ball at 40 yards. In other words, you don’t have a prayer of holding greens in these situations, and must rely on landing short and rolling on, which is often impossible.

• Like 3

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

27 minutes ago, Jeff58 said:

Maybe a few things to consider…

Feel has no correlation to performance. If feel is your primary goal in ball selection, just buy Chrome Softs, they feel great.

The most significant change across compression is trajectory. The lower the compression, the earlier in its flight it reaches its maximum height. If you have too a high swing speed or launch angle vs. the ball’s native characteristics, the impact energy is wasted by creating excessive height vs. distance. With short irons and wedges, this effect also makes your distance progression “bunch up”, I.e. your gapping tends to collapse.

When you hit balls in simulators that are not full-flight radar models, the only data the machine has are the launch characteristics. It obviously has no idea of the actual full flight. It creates its flight profile using a ball “model” in software, and generally this model is a 2019 V1. When you hit your SuperSoft, the sim sees that you’re hitting your V1 with a higher than normal launch angle and lower than normal spin, and reports that you hit your SuperSoft/V1 a long way indeed. No.

The great score killer for non-urethane balls is the lack of full-distance control across your wedges, short, and mid-irons. For my clubs with a V1x, my wedges have almost no roll. My 7 iron has about 5 yards. With lob wedge, everything outside of about 40 yards will no have significant roll.  Many surlyn balls will product 15+ yards of roll with 7 iron, and literally half the spin of a quality urethane ball at 40 yards. In other words, you don’t have a prayer of holding greens in these situations, and must rely on landing short and rolling on, which is often impossible.

Thanks Jeff. This was the type of response I was hoping for. This was my suspicion but wanted to get the real on facts. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

I don’t want to be the guy showing up playing essentially a flying lady. 

There is NO rule that says a 9 index has to be play a certain type of ball.  If it meets your play demands, enjoy.  I doubt you'll experience ribbing.  During Freddy Couple's prime, he played a woman's 3 wood for a long time. 

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I'm in the same range for driver speed, and I've always seemed to do better with lower compression urethane balls.  Bridgestone E5 was awesome for me for a long time - felt like a marshmallow off of my driver, traveled a long way on drives, and still spun pretty well around the greens.  Since then I've been using the RXS.  Feels a little firmer to me than the E5 ever did, and it definitely spins more on shorter shots.

Tried other balls here and there, but I always come back to low-compression Bridgestones for some reason.

• Like 1

Descent angle is huge in stopping power as well, don’t blindly assume that lower spin is going to be unplayable on the greens. 

• Like 2

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

Shoot your shot. Pick a ball and get familiar with it. With the really soft balls, they seem to all come out like flop shots for me. Very high launch and low spin. You have to get used to stopping balls with landing angle, not spin.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting topic, since I was really going back and forth between 2 extremes. I like to play the Titleist Pro V1X but also the Supersoft.  The harder ball gives me more distance with the driver and more control with the irons, the Supersoft goes a little shorter with my driver but goes longer with irons (at least a club longer). The huge difference is with my putter and with chipping. Yes it feels like a sponge but somehow I feel much more confident and my strokes gained chipping and putting are clearly better with the soft balls (my best 3 rounds in the last 3 years were with softer ball in colder weather).

I tried 4 rounds with ProV1X and driver stats were generally better. Better distance and fairways hit. However I cannot adjust to the ball when putting. Obviously it goes shorter when applying the same swing and it is less forgiving, when mishit. Putting strokes between the 4 rounds with hard ball and soft ball are something like 3 strokes a round

on average. I will look for a good compromise, something like  a ball with 60 compression or so. However I now understand why better players usually choose their balls by putting feel and not by driver distance.

• Like 1