2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping Tour 2.0 Black & Chrome

Scottishducati

Hey everyone,

Just curious if anyone has found out info on these shafts yet? I’m currently in a G425 Max head that’s been hotmelted and absolutely keeps up with the G430 for me. I got to test my gamer head against a G430 with a bunch of different shafts including: GD UB 6TX, Tensei 1K orange 🍊 65TX, Ping Tour 2.0 black 65X and Chrome 65X.

I fell in love with the black since it kept my smash at 1.49 (Trackman) and also was just as fast as the Tensei (which gave me the quickest ballspeed numbers but is over .25” longer). The Chrome was just as good but felt just a touch softer but numbers were super close. Dispersion was also really good. Graphite design UB was clearly my worst dispersion (even though to this has been my gamer for a while now). 

I absolutely love these shafts and am interested if anyone has hit them and had similar results. I know one guy on pga that’s playing the black tipped 1” but that’s about it (I know guys stick with what they know unless it’s broken). Thanks! 

My numbers with my digitally lofted 9.1 degree 425 Max head in Big minus setting (7.6 degrees) are slower coming off injury but was 106-110 ss, 155-164 ballspeed and averaged 1.49 smash! Was right at 14 launch, 1900-2400 spin and aoa of positive 4-6 degrees. These were with the 2.0 black and almost identical with the 2.0 chrome. All shafts played at 45.25” other than the Tensei orange which played at just over 45.5”. Head weight is 204g without adapter. 

Let’s hear what people are thinking! 

-John 

PS - I’d buy the Ping G430 max immediately if I wasn’t in need of an iron set. It sounds amazing and is better for spin rate consistency in misses. Maybe .1 better in smash. Dispersion was the same. 

12 hours ago, Kingmax said:

Curious to hear more info on the black vs chrome. What was the 1 most noticeable difference between the two? The numbers being almost identical did the shafts feel different when swinging?

So I l’ve played a lot of different shafts over the years in ping heads and really like a softer profile that’s stable (the chrome fits that bill) but I have to say the black felt really smooth but very stable and my dispersion was spectacular. I’ve played ventus black, ventus red, ventus blue & TR, GD DI, GD HD, GD IZ, GD XC, GD UB, Tensei av raw orange TX, Tensei 1K orange TX, Diamana PD, Ping Tour 65X and a few others I can’t think of … but the tour black I felt like was more comparable to the ventus black in terms of feel and consistency. Shockingly forgiving with the G425 max and that shaft. The other shafts did not compare on mishits.  I wanted to like the chrome more but black was more consistent and felt really really good. It’s a shaft that does the same thing regardless of effort put into the swing but is still smooth. Chrome has potential for me though. The numbers being similar is probably just me and how I react to feel.  Both are very stable and high high quality shafts. 

Difference in feel was not as extreme to me as going from ventus blue to ventus black. I dont think the chrome is as handle soft as the blue. The tour black isn’t quite as stout as the ventus black but similar linear feel and the tour chrome isn’t quite as handle soft as ventus blue but close. I’d say more of a mid kick on the chrome and not as pronounced as the Graphite design shafts. Feel is so hard to describe but that’s what I felt. 

Edited by Scottishducati
  • Like 3

I hit them both at PGA Superstore....As others have said in different threads, the black is stouter...I hit the black much better but i hit it after the chrome and was warmed up and swinging better....I will say this, i hit about 20 balls with the black, and spin was between 17000 and 24000.....None of the lower spin shots were knuckleballs and all had good results.....I was hitting the 9 degree lst....I thought i would like the 9 degree max or the 10.5 lst but ended up liking the lst 9 degree.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, wobgon said:

I hit them both at PGA Superstore....As others have said in different threads, the black is stouter...I hit the black much better but i hit it after the chrome and was warmed up and swinging better....I will say this, i hit about 20 balls with the black, and spin was between 17000 and 24000.....None of the lower spin shots were knuckleballs and all had good results.....I was hitting the 9 degree lst....I thought i would like the 9 degree max or the 10.5 lst but ended up liking the lst 9 degree.

did you hit the kai'li white?  curious as to the differences in feel...

2 minutes ago, Mike_Honcho said:

did you hit the kai'li white?  curious as to the differences in feel...

I did.....The guy who worked there said several times that it was producing the best numbers but it didn't feel quite right to me. Hard to explain....I would definitly like to compare it to the black again.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Scottishducati said:

I did not. I’m curious on the Kai’li in TX white and blue. I think they’re a completely different shaft than the X. 

i get along with the white in S...a TX might be worth the look.

Edited by Mike_Honcho
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottishducati said:

but the tour black I felt like was more comparable to the ventus black in terms of feel and consistency.

If you look at their progression of shaft offerings in woods over the last few models, the Tour Black also seems like it might be meant to fill the role of the PX EF Black/Aldila Rogue option they’ve had. I’m not sure the Kai’li is meant to fit that low/low slot for the G430, but the Tour Black, which seems an awful lot like their imitation of a Ventus Black (without seeing EI curves).

If Ping wasn’t so in house about its shafts, I bet you’d see a lot of non-Ping players looking to retrofit this shaft with other OEM adapters and give it a run. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a high demand in the secondary market for these over the next 18-24 months.

If you could have maybe 85-90% of the Ventus Black feel for $200 less, who wouldn’t sign up for that?

• Like 1

Playing the chrome 65x in my lst 9* and the black 65x in the 430 3w...  The black definitely feels more stout but it's so stable.  I haven't been able to beat my G410 lst 3w/Ventus Velocore red 7x combo with it yet but it may get more time on the course soon.  The Ping Tour shafts are legit, also have the chrome in my G430 hybrid and it has been fantastic.  I may give the Velocore Black 6s a try in the driver but I am beyond happy with the Tour Chrome thus far as a driver shaft.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* HZRDUS blue PVD 60s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Nike VFP 4i KBS CTL 115

Ping i230 5-P  KBS CTL 115

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless custom 34"

2 hours ago, scotty_2987 said:

Second round out with the ping tour chrome 2.0 65x and this thing is just awesome. I bought a ping adapter to put on a tour ad IZ 6x I have but not even sure if I really want to now. 

It’s crazy. My Graphite Design UB that I loved so much is useless since I see how tight my dispersion is with just as much ball speed if not more. I feel like I have more potential with the Chrome than the Black (I have both from an awesome member who reached out and hooked me up) but just had a better fitting session with the black. I’ll switch between the two this season as well as the Tensei 1K orange since it’s a touch longer and a bit stiffer If I gain my speed back (want to be around 115mph consistently). 

• Like 1

Talked to a guy at Ping when I was looking to buy the G430 LST.  He said the Tour Black 2.0 was engineered to be similar to the Velacore Black.

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

Just picked up a 430 lst, came from ltdxls. I have been playing tensei white and smoke green  shaft.

Tried the Tour Black and Chrome. Chrome is a much better feeling shaft for me IMO. Black had an interesting feel, but not great. I heard it was supposed to be firmer, but I couldn't get along with the profile at all.

Back to Chrome vs Hulk in it for me, ill be deciding soon.

Black will be on BST soon..lol

• Like 1

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 6-U Dynamic Gold Mid

MG4 54/58 DG

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

I am testing Chrome 2.0 65x vs the equivalent original Tour.  Head is 430 LST 10.5 turned down to 9.5 ( small "-").   I have not been on Trackman yet but I think the 2.0 feels a bit better, easier to load and gives me a bit more club head speed.  The original Tour  definitely plays a bit stiffer and produces a flatter ball flight.  Playing at Pinehurst today and will do 9 with each shaft and see how it goes....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

3 hours ago, Kingmax said:

My local golf galaxy didn’t have any chrome or black in x flex in stock. They must be popular.

Mine has very limited X flex offerings in general. Didn’t have Tour Black in X when I did a Ping demo last month. I think they stock for the majority of their clientele, who probably fit comfortably into R and S flexes.

I did hit the Chrome 2.0 in X flex. Preferred the old Tour 65x over it.

I've played both shafts for a few rounds and really like them both. 

The Tour Chrome 2.0 is much smoother feeling than it's predecessor, you can feel it throughout the swing, yet stable. It' launches pretty high for me, the wind had a tendency to affect the flight for me. 

The Tour Black 2.0 is definitely lower launching and lower spinning. In terms of feel it is much more stable/stout throughout the swing without feeling boardy or too stiff. Perfect penetrating flight for me with lots more roll out. The wind didn't affect the Black as much. 

I will keep both and play both as needed. I have a feeling will lean on the Black 2.0 a bit more I'm guessing. I'm a 6 handicap with an average driver ss of 100-103, both shafts are paired with the G430 Max.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, VA_Astra said:

Just picked up a 430 lst, came from ltdxls. I have been playing tensei white and smoke green  shaft.

Tried the Tour Black and Chrome. Chrome is a much better feeling shaft for me IMO. Black had an interesting feel, but not great. I heard it was supposed to be firmer, but I couldn't get along with the profile at all.

Back to Chrome vs Hulk in it for me, ill be deciding soon.

Black will be on BST soon..lol

Stiff or X?

Little nugget from the PING fitter in this video where he says the Black is tighter feeling and the Kaili is a little looser feeling. I was wondering what the difference would be between the two and why they would offer both as stock.

I have the Tour chrome in Stiff that came in my LST head that I sold. It felt way too light for my taste. Performance was excellent, though. I now have Black 75x in my Max driver. Thing is a beast, but I love it. Not overly heavy or stiff. I was a bit worried to get an aftermarket shaft because of the head weight and people were saying they were getting like D7 with 60 gram shafts. I have Ventus Black 7x in 3 wood. I would say my driver and 3 wood feel similar enough. Instead of playing shaft roulette, if I end up changing shafts in my Max, I will probably look to try a 60x Tour Chrome or Black vs. some other shaft that will probably create swingweight issues. I have the Chrome 60 stiff to trade for an x if anyone wants. 

• Like 1

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

Been hitting my old(er) Epic Flash SZ w/Tour AD TP6 really well for a long time now.

Happened to take it to the PGATSS to try alongside a couple of newer drivers and was surprised to find it was spinning a bit more than I liked, ~2600.

Had originally bought it on a lark for ~$125 with the Cally tip so what the heck - and it won a shootout with a few other shafts - but I'd never actually gotten it on a LM.

Anywho, I've tried different versions of Ping MAX drivers over the last 4-5 years, multiple times, and especially with the Chrome Tour shaft. NEVER got along with that shaft at all.

FF to today. Happened to see a 9* G430 MAX in the used driver section with a stiff black Tour 2.0 shaft. Already having hit a few drivers and being all warmed up I figured "What the heck ? Let's see if it's any different".

First surprise was how much they've muted that awfully loud tinny sound of the 425 MAX. 2nd surprise was how much I liked the Black shaft and how often I was finding the SS. Hitting it really well. Very consistent launch and spin rate.

And now I find this thread. The Tour Black was really surprising. And now that I know the 2.0 is a different shaft I might have to give the Chrome version a try as well.

Will definitely have to hit it a bit more and see if it can kick out my now 4 year old EFSZ.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

7 hours ago, 0cean said:

Has anyone tried the PING Tour 2.0 Black 75 in the G430 Max 3 fairway wood? I'm not sure if I should get the chrome or the black.

I have it in a 3 wood and 7 wood, I think it's great. Helps bring the launch and spin down a little. I normally play blue profile shafts in my fairway. I went black as the max can be a little spinnier compared to most low spin woods.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* - Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 6X

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5* - Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 7X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Attas T2 8X

Ping G425 Max 23.5* - Attas T2 8X

Taylormade 790Ti 6 - Dart V 105X

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - X100

Titleist SM9 46F & 50F - X100

Titleist SM9 55S & 60T - X7 "Spinners"

L.A.B. Link.1 - TPT - XL Tour 2.0 

Srixon Z-Star 💎