PXG Gen6? When?

StillCantPutt

25 minutes ago, Canyonaro said:

Tony Covey from MGS has played the 0311T for several years now. It's just the XP that performed poorly in that particular test. They rated the 0211 quite highly just last week.

https://mygolfspy.com/reviews/irons/pxg-0211-xcor2-irons-review/

They also have the XPs in the same category as the P770 and JPX Forged, which is not at all where they belong. 

29 minutes ago, Canyonaro said:

Tony Covey from MGS has played the 0311T for several years now. It's just the XP that performed poorly in that particular test. They rated the 0211 quite highly just last week.

https://mygolfspy.com/reviews/irons/pxg-0211-xcor2-irons-review/

They also have the XPs in the same category as the P770 and JPX Forged, which is not at all where they belong. 

Edited by Lefty87

5 hours ago, Lefty87 said:

They also have the XP in the same category as the P770 and JPX Forged, which is not at all where they belong. 

I saw that but then why did the XP's finish in last and 2nd to last in 2 separate categories. You would think it should have been higher in forgiveness and accuracy when comparing to the others. Someone has some explaining to do as how can this be?

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

4 hours ago, Tiptx1122 said:

I saw that but then why did the XP's finish in last and 2nd to last in 2 separate categories. You would think it should have been higher in forgiveness and accuracy when comparing to the others. Someone has some explaining to do as how can this be?

Exactly. That makes it even more of a joke. You put a game improvement iron in a players iron category and it comes dead last in forgiveness? Please. The head of the XP is massive compared to the P770. You won’t convince anyone, anywhere, that the P770 is more forgiving than the 0311 XP. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Lefty87 said:

Exactly. That makes it even more of a joke. You put a game improvement iron in a players iron category and it comes dead last in forgiveness? Please. The head of the XP is massive compared to the P770. You won’t convince anyone, anywhere, that the P770 is more forgiving than the 0311 XP. 

Agree with everyone as I’m left scratching my head in the players distance testing and categories for 2023. They have other irons in the player distance testing pool (including XP model) that I just don’t get which begs more questionable testing:

1. New Level 902-OS: Why would they use this model vs. the 902-PD? PD clearly stands for Players Distance vs. OS for Oversized! SMH

2. MacGregor MT86 OS: Another oversized iron in the players distance testing pool vs. MacGregors other MT86 offering that’s a players distance model.

3. JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro: I still feel this doesn’t belong in the players distance category. Especially when there’s already a JPX 923 version in the testing pool (Forged model). IMO the HMP is a squattier version of the HM with loft at 28 degrees (7 iron), where most of players distance market hovers around 30-32. If they are going to include both JPX models they should’ve included the other models as stated above to include Gen 6 P.

4. P-770 on the opposite spectrum. Sits at 33 degrees at 7 iron and has been compared to other player models. Basically it’s a squattier and higher lofted version on the P-790 (which also should’ve been included here). P-770 has been commonly referenced and compared to in the same bucket as the T-100, ZX-7, Apex Pro, etc. I’ve never or rarely heard P-770 referenced as a players distance model.

Overall IMO, I was left disappointed after reading this years article and feel this year’s players distance review was a big miss and probably their worst one to date. Lots of models included that shouldn’t be in the category and even more models left out to include T100S/T200, Apex/Apex Pro, Gen 6 P, P-790, Ping I525, etc. (true a lot of these were in past testing but so were other models that showed up in this year’s testing). I just don’t see how you can crown any leader/winner in any category without including other popular models in this space. 

Looking forward to explanation (if they even address it) of the testing and reasonings for including (what’s viewed as) GI irons in their testing pool while omitting others.

11 hours ago, Lefty87 said:

You won’t convince anyone, anywhere, that the P770 is more forgiving than the 0311 XP. 

this!

dissapointed to say the least with their testing, caught my eye because i play pxg irons 

their criteria measurements are so weird

WHAT IS ACCURACY?

Accuracy evaluates if a player’s shots with each club are above or below what’s expected based on that player’s skill level. By eliminating variables in player ability, accuracy determines how well the club improves a player’s overall score.

INESIS 96.2

PXG 57.5

HOW IS FORGIVENESS TESTED?

Forgiveness measures how well a club corrects for hits that are center or off center off the face of the club. A high forgiveness rating tells you that a club does well at maintaining consistency in performance when your swing fluctuates

INESIS 97.6

PXG 56.3

this is where this went bananas in my opinion, a fairways hit measurement for irons? okay i guess.... but pretty much a 10 point difference in the 2 irons of this example while accuracy and forgivenes shows a ~40 points difference?

WHAT IS FAIRWAYS HIT?

We evaluate the percentage of shots that hit the fairway compared to shots in the rough. This shows the accuracy of a club, with a higher percentage earning a higher accuracy rating.

INESIS 93.1

PXG 82.4

no iron set in this era can have these sort of 40 points gap 

• Like 3

Callaway Driver Ai Smoke

Callaway 3 Wood Ai Smoke

Callaway 5 Wood Ai Smoke

PXG Irons Gen 5 0311 XP  4 to PW

Titleist Vokey Wedges SM8 - 46* 52* & 56*
Scotty Cameron Moto - Super Select Squareback 2 

Vice ProPlus

I’m not about to let this bother me as it is their test and they’re not gonna change anything. I know how good Mizuno‘s and PXG are and I’m not about to get all bent out of shape as there is no need to defend how I feel about playing them. If INESIS are so good why isn’t there more info about them in these forums.  

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

17 hours ago, Tiptx1122 said:

MGS is garbage is the explanation.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, blades_are_life said:

MGS is garbage is the explanation.

Agree 1000%, anything they put out holds as much validity as the Golf Digest Gold list.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra Shaft

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

1 hour ago, mlwenzlick said:

Dunno why anyone even reads that stuff. It’s completely subjective person to person, and each persons swing fits into something different. Only people that read that crap are the golf digest subscribers who get the big tips on a better short game at the ripe age of 59.

If it was just 1 person, I'd buy that.  But when 50+ people are all testing 20+ clubs, then I care.  I mean, isn't that why we're on this forum?  To poll the general public for opinions of products?  Or to share your opinion, for those of us here polling?

Obviously the big caveat is a hidden agendas.  Very few here have an agenda to sell clubs.  While many opinions here are openly biased, it's purely because they've had things justify that bias, and those are the experiences they share.

Personally, I've had very good success with MGS in the past, and I'm a very data oriented, mathematical minded human.  I love the numbers and stats, so they clearly cater to me.  It's been a few years since I've used them almost exclusively for club decisions, back when I was a beginner, and I still have (and love) the putter and bag they led me to buy however many years ago.  However, as time passes, they have grown, and possibly money has come into play, or their own bias has bled into tests that were supposed to be unbiased?

It's hard to say, because technically, they aren't the ones hitting the clubs, are they?  They just compile the data of their testors?

With any data pool, you can always run into demographics where you test poorly, or where the field has a pre-conceived notion.  Given how mental golf is, and the fact that every golfer probably had an opinion of PXG before they became a testor... There's only so much you can do.

The results definitely stood out to me as outliers though.  But they are just 1 data source in a world of infinite data resources.  They clearly need to be taken with a grain of salt, but I also can't completely ignore them either.  As with all things in life, the truth typically lies somewhere in the middle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KGrinols said:

If it was just 1 person, I'd buy that.  But when 50+ people are all testing 20+ clubs, then I care.  I mean, isn't that why we're on this forum?  To poll the general public for opinions of products?  Or to share your opinion, for those of us here polling?

Obviously the big caveat is a hidden agendas.  Very few here have an agenda to sell clubs.  While many opinions here are openly biased, it's purely because they've had things justify that bias, and those are the experiences they share.

Personally, I've had very good success with MGS in the past, and I'm a very data oriented, mathematical minded human.  I love the numbers and stats, so they clearly cater to me.  It's been a few years since I've used them almost exclusively for club decisions, back when I was a beginner, and I still have (and love) the putter and bag they led me to buy however many years ago.  However, as time passes, they have grown, and possibly money has come into play, or their own bias has bled into tests that were supposed to be unbiased?

It's hard to say, because technically, they aren't the ones hitting the clubs, are they?  They just compile the data of their testors?

With any data pool, you can always run into demographics where you test poorly, or where the field has a pre-conceived notion.  Given how mental golf is, and the fact that every golfer probably had an opinion of PXG before they became a testor... There's only so much you can do.

The results definitely stood out to me as outliers though.  But they are just 1 data source in a world of infinite data resources.  They clearly need to be taken with a grain of salt, but I also can't completely ignore them either.  As with all things in life, the truth typically lies somewhere in the middle.

Given the performance of the 0211 in MGS rankings, I think it's just an outlier result from this particular testing pool. 

My other hypothesis is that the XP just doesn't launch high enough/spin enough with the Pro V1 for the swing speeds of the testers. The PXG ball or a Pro V1x would resolve this problem. 

Mizuno ended up making the Hot Metal HL because they saw a lot of this with the Hot Metal & slow swingers.

2 hours ago, KGrinols said:

You stated it. Bias. I’ll believe it when I see an OEM club get destroyed. I play Lynx (new model) blades. Best club I’ve ever swung, but other than CPG before the blowup, I guarantee 90% of the site would think im nuts….because it says Lynx on it and not TM titleist or callaway.

Edited by mlwenzlick
  • Like 2

Anyone hit the GEN6 0311 2W yet? Won't be able to make it back to PXG for another month and looking for feedback. Compared to GEN5 if possible. Thanks!

Titleist Tsr2 (9*) | Ventus Red 6S

Titleist Tsr 2+ (14.5*) | GD Tour AD UD-7S

Titleist Tsr 2 3HY (18*) | GD Tour AD IZ-85S

Titleist U505 4 Iron (21*) | GD Tour AD IZ-85S

Titleist T200 (5-GW) | Project-X LZ 6.0

Vokey SM9 ( 53*F/ 58*M)

L.A.B. Mezz.1

My swing is currently a work in-progress, but I have noticed some very good things with the PXG Gen 6 P irons. 

I don't break 90 very frequently, but went out and shot a 40 on 9 holes, even with a couple duffed chip shots. Was able to hit 5 irons and 6 irons like i have never been able to hit before. Normally, anything over 190 out is just not good for me, its like a 1 out of 10 chance of hitting something decent. I was able to hit the green on a par 5 from 195 out. I hate to admit but that was the first time I have hit a par 5 in 2. 

They are definitely forgiving in my opinion, wasn't hitting center face on all of those shots. 

Edited by dlow206
  • Like 2

Just noticed there are some Gen 6 drivers on Express. For those looking to pick one up cheaper, that's an option.

For those that know, did Gen 5 drivers start at a higher price point on Express, then come down to the $220ish they were for Good condition before Gen 6 came out?

Edited by theboypinoy

6 hours ago, RH82 said:

Anyone hit the XF driver? If so, was it fairly neutral at address and no left bias?

Here’s a pic of both Gen6 drivers. The XF driver is on the right. Def not a closed face, and it has adjustable weights so you can set any ball flight bias you want.

IMG_3875.jpeg

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I’m going in for an iron fitting in the next couple weeks, but I haven’t seen much on the 0311 XP in this thread. I’m currently playing the Ping G425’s. Previously played the Gen 3 P’s. I’m leaning towards the Gen 6 XP but will obviously let the data do it’s thing. 

Who has hit both the Gen 6 XP and P and how would you compare the two? 

On 6/21/2023 at 12:24 AM, Lefty87 said:

I’m going in for an iron fitting in the next couple weeks, but I haven’t seen much on the 0311 XP in this thread. I’m currently playing the Ping G425’s. Previously played the Gen 3 P’s. I’m leaning towards the Gen 6 XP but will obviously let the data do it’s thing. 

Who has hit both the Gen 6 XP and P and how would you compare the two? 

I just had a fitting yesterday and hit both - and have the G430s in the bag.

I will say that for $12.50 during their sale, the iron fitting might have been one of the best value fittings I've ever done. I was perfectly happy last year paying $200 for a Tour Van driver fitting at Second Swing - so $12 by comparison seems nuts. Honestly on a rainy day, it was less than I would have spent at the range going to take some swings lol.

After looking at the P, it just didnt fit my eye like the XP did. Perfectly good looking/feeling club. I just like the XP much more. Honestly if you swing both - it wont be hard to decide. IMO. To my eye the XP seemed to have much less offset than the G430 but a tiny bit more than the P. And I liked how the head looks at address a little more. Settled on their Steelfiber110 which was giving me much better dispersion than the G430s were. I think my average yardage was 4 yards less but they were in a very small circle. Honestly I went back and hit the G430 one more time so that it wasnt one of those fitting things where you get super loose and it just seems like the new club is better.

So this idea that the XPs would not rank highly in forgiveness is just laughable.

Anyway for that price, I think its worth checking out - even if for no other reason than you have a PXG itch to scratch like I did. The store was really nice although I admit I'm just not he target market thats going to be wearing the big letter hats and flashy shirts and whatnot. But thats fine.

And look I admit that I have trashed them previously when their pricing was over the moon but I think their pricing is definitely way more competitive now that it was a few years ago and certainly in line with every other OEMs new offerings.

I will say...it still peeves me off that you can spend close to $2K on a set of irons and they still ding you $60 for ground shipping. Thats a little chintzy. Its my only complaint.

Edited by dcmidnight
  • Thanks 1

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

3 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

I just had a fitting yesterday and hit both - and have the G430s in the bag.

I will say that for $12.50 during their sale, the iron fitting might have been one of the best value fittings I've ever done. I was perfectly happy last year paying $200 for a Tour Van driver fitting at Second Swing - so $12 by comparison seems nuts. Honestly on a rainy day, it was less than I would have spent at the range going to take some swings lol.

After looking at the P, it just didnt fit my eye like the XP did. Perfectly good looking/feeling club. I just like the XP much more. Honestly if you swing both - it wont be hard to decide. IMO. To my eye the XP seemed to have much less offset than the G430 but a tiny bit more than the P. And I liked how the head looks at address a little more. Settled on their Steelfiber110 which was giving me much better dispersion than the G430s were. I think my average yardage was 4 yards less but they were in a very small circle. Honestly I went back and hit the G430 one more time so that it wasnt one of those fitting things where you get super loose and it just seems like the new club is better.

So this idea that the XPs would not rank highly in forgiveness is just laughable.

Anyway for that price, I think its worth checking out - even if for no other reason than you have a PXG itch to scratch like I did. The store was really nice although I admit I'm just not he target market thats going to be wearing the big letter hats and flashy shirts and whatnot. But thats fine.

And look I admit that I have trashed them previously when their pricing was over the moon but I think their pricing is definitely way more competitive now that it was a few years ago and certainly in line with every other OEMs new offerings.

I will say...it still peeves me off that you can spend close to $2K on a set of irons and they still ding you $60 for ground shipping. Thats a little chintzy. Its my only complaint.

I really appreciate the feedback. Good stuff. How would you compare the XP vs G430 in terms of forgiveness? 

12 minutes ago, Lefty87 said:

I really appreciate the feedback. Good stuff. How would you compare the XP vs G430 in terms of forgiveness? 

I feel like they are pretty even - the XP just looks a little better to me from an offset perspective.

• Like 1

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I see the Hero's price came down on the PXG Gen 5's so when will the price drop for the PXG Gen 6, will it be this fall or early spring. So anyone know WHEN? Might pull the trigger or maybe I will just wait for the Gen 7's WHEN in the spring maybe. Surprised as to how good the 0211's with the XCOR 2 are that they didn't follow with something new after the Gen 6