2024 PING 10K Driver Info

ShortSticks

1 hour ago, doctor220 said:

Optimal for distance and optimal for playing golf aren’t the same thing. I know everyone loves to sit on their foresight monitors ( yes I own one too) and talk about how they hit it 290 with their 16 launch 1800 spin 150 ball speed but that doesn’t fly in real golf. 

yes distance is tremendously important , more so even than previously thought 5-10 years ago and even 5-10 yard gains can be pretty big at basically all levels of skill but it is a balance and tons of people pursue far too low spin with the increased use of LMs with fitting.

there is a reason most pga tour players are generally 2300-2700ish on decent strikes. It’s pretty rare to see a tour player spin their driver sub 2k, even though of course it would result in the most distance 

Sheesh. I can tell reading compensation is not your strong suit. 

I already indicated that I take the quad out on the course to cross check the numbers from the SIM. So far everything on Ping’s chart pretty much checks out on the course and in the SIM. 

I had almost 90 rounds on my GHIN last season. I think I would have noticed if I was hitting a lot of low knuckle hooks. 

And goodness, quit looking at what the tour pros do……that is unless you are at 180 ball speed and playing on firm fast courses all the time. It simply does not translate for 99% of us. Wyndham Clark hits a nasty 40 yard cut with his driver with pretty high spin. He does that for control and because he regularly hits 190 mph ball speed. Do you think that shot work work well as a goal for a schmo like me with 150-160 ball speed?

And since you’ve already implied that I hit knuckle hooks with my driver and can’t hit my irons due to my driver angle of attack (just a quick note….my driver is on a 3” tee and everything else is off the ground so I approach the shots a bit differently)., please tell me you are a pro?  Perhaps a professional fitter with a lot of experience?  At least tell me you have a lower handicap than I do?

I'm just trying to figure out who I’m learning from. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, radiman said:

Um... I am extremely positive with my AoA (6-8) and my path is significantly from the inside.  I think the two kind of go hand in hand as the only way to get that drastic on the way up is to get super shallow.  And low spin is absolutely devastating to me these days.  I am in the 180+ ball speed range and higher spin is much much more manageable for me.  If that 1900 spin dips a couple hundred RPM's, it's hard diving duck hook city.  And, let's be real, as a middle aged amateur, even a low handicap, my swing will vary from day to day hole to hole. 

Going from 1900 to 2500 RPM costs me a handful of yards.  It's not wildly different.  Roll out is less for sure.  But, my ball flight stabilizes a lot.  Still draw the ball.  But, the hard diving left shot isn't nearly as prevalent.   

So, based on my experience and what I see, that chart is a great indicator for max distance.  But, for playability, I don't put any weight in it.  If I were a robot and had zero variance in my swing and was guaranteed to hit it straight, then sure, that number would make sense.  

You are at 180 ball speed. You don’t need to worry about distance. We have a similar angle of attack to me (and I’m also in to out like you) but I’m 20-30 mph slower.  Completely different ballgame. 

3 minutes ago, ssf301 said:

Sheesh. I can tell reading compensation is not your strong suit. 

I already indicated that I take the quad out on the course to cross check the numbers from the SIM. So far everything on Ping’s chart pretty much checks out on the course and in the SIM. 

I had almost 90 rounds on my GHIN last season. I think I would have noticed if I was hitting a lot of low knuckle hooks. 

And goodness, quit looking at what the tour pros do……that is unless you are at 180 ball speed and playing on firm fast courses all the time. It simply does not translate for 99% of us. Wyndham Clark hits a nasty 40 yard cut with his driver with pretty high spin. He does that for control and because he regularly hits 190 mph ball speed. Do you think that shot work work well as a goal for a schmo like me with 150-160 ball speed?

And since you’ve already implied that I hit knuckle hooks with my driver and can’t hit my irons due to my driver angle of attack (just a quick note….my driver is on a 3” tee and everything else is off the ground so I approach the shots a bit differently)., please tell me you are a pro?  Perhaps a professional fitter with a lot of experience?  At least tell me you have a lower handicap than I do?

I'm just trying to figure out who I’m learning from. 

Im not saying you hit knuckle hooks, im saying anyone who lives at 1800 spin is basically on the verge of a knuckle hook the moment they toe it. 

not trying to make this a debate about fitting and yes my handicap is lower than yours but that doesn’t mean anything ofc. Someone could be a +6 and have no clue 

I never said you can’t hit your irons, just that having a massively upward AoA and then trying to swing downward on an iron is probably going to be weird for a lot of people. Rory is a pretty big outlier and yes while he is a phenomenal driver of the ball, think it’s pretty rare to see tour pros with significantly positive AoAs. 

last thing I will post in this thread regarding fitting and etc, sorry all for the derail. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ghostwedge said:

So you can't reference the video and mention the golfer doing the testing ?

Asking for a friend.......

wow.

Huh?

G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º) - G425 4 Hybrid - i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf Mezz1

Got my 10K today and decided to do some measuring, I weighted the head and it's bang on 200 gr and has a 28 gr tungsten on the rear. Mine was ordered with the RDX Red 6.5 and as the website says, in 45,25" it's D4 SW and it's bang on D4 👏🏻

I also wanted to measure the real face height as so many reviewers told it has a flatter profile then previous models but nobody bothered to measure it. So here goes, for comparison I also measured my G410 Plus and my current gamer Paradym standard:

20240223_200706.jpg.8dc5a153d121aa6155ae0afc10a127c1.jpg

20240223_184605.jpg.90cc5008d9ea44d2bfae2c26820074fe.jpg

20240223_193118.jpg.97aea27c9d5caba2d1298f66c8f4d322.jpg

If anyone has the G430 Max, would be lovely to know is the face height same as the 10K?

Thanks!

Edited by Hedgehog
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

G430 Max 10K Hzrdus RDX Red 60 / Ping G430 Max 5fw KBS TD 70 / Titleist TSi2 4Hy  Tensei CK Pro Orange 80HY 

Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 120 / Cleveland RTX2.0 50° DG S200 / Ping Glide3.0 56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide4.0 60° DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5 Stability Tour / Titleist ProV1x

Welp…. I sold my G430 10K a few weeks ago….. and just bought another new one….. sellers remorse 

Had the Tour Black in the first one (I think this is why we weren’t getting along).. went with the Chrome this time as I think it’s a better fit for my swing 

• Like 1

Driver:           45" Titleist TSR3 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X 
Fairway:        Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Mitsubishi 1K Black 75g X
Hybrid:          Titleist TSR2 4 Hybrid Mitsubishi 1k Black 85g X

Irons:             Mizuno Pro 243 Modus 105x
Wedges:       Blue Mizuno T24 50/56/60 
Putter:           LAB Golf Blue 37" CB DF3 w/ White Accra Shaft

Ball:               Pro V1/MaxFli Tour
Bag:               VESSEL Grey Player III Stand   

On 2/22/2024 at 7:37 AM, ssf301 said:

Given the proper launch angle and ball speed, a ball spinning at 2,000 rpm will carry quite a bit further than one at 2,500 rpm

Not sure how you define "quite a bit" but Flightscope suggests it's about 3 yards, "carry" (of course).

Sure glad ol' jade and/or his 10 buddies haven't jumped on and scolded you guys about discussing the physics of long drives instead of the G430-10K. :classic_smile:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

On 2/22/2024 at 9:02 AM, doctor220 said:

I don’t really agree with that ping chart bc someone would look at it and think green is good and red is bad. The reality is someone with 1800 spin has 0 margin of error for a bad shot , particularly on the toe side . Driving is about more than max distance. It’s about having the most reasonable distance you can, which is a different thing. 

+8 AoA is also really hard to transfer to the rest of the bag bc the swing mechanics to get +8 AoA are very different than hitting a 7 iron off the ground successfully . 

Hey Doc. Not "green is good and red is bad" but green is "LONG and red is SHORT". Note the chart shows "optimal" launch condition at each speed.

That said, I wonder what angle of attack has to do with it. While AoA certainly is a factor in launch angle, AoA isn't a physical property of ball travel. The physical properties are LA, spin rate and mph. The ball has no idea nor does it care what the AoA is.

As for low spin = duck hooks, I think you meant to say low spin = exaggerated movement on OFF AXIS strikes. That's what happens with the toe strike/low launch issue. It's the "gear effect" that causes such a severe off-axis strike. Add low spin and there's your duck hook. 👍

Edited by nsxguy
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

On 2/21/2024 at 3:39 PM, mdoged said:

Had a fitting if you want to call it that at Golf Galaxy on 2/10.  They didn't even have the Tour 2.0 Black to test so settled on the Kali in x-stiff.  Numbers were very consistent...i am coming from a Stealth+ with Diamana ZF.  That thing had an extra gear when I was on but very punishing on mishits.  I'll take the more forgiving driver and if I want to hit it further then I'll go to gym more.  

Ordered on 2/10...what has been an average turn around on custom order (added a different grip)? 

Just to provide an update.  I picked up my driver yesterday afternoon and headed immediately to the range.  Overall I am super impressed with it.  I have a MLM2Pro so I got some numbers.  

Avg over first 10 swings - 112ss, 164bs, 267 carry, 11*la.  

This was set at 7.5* with Kali white 60x.  She has some more in her.  May bump to 8.25* and try and get that launch around 13~.

• Like 1

Has anyone else played around with different tungsten weights in their heads yet? My 25 and 28g should arrive on Tuesday so can compare vs the current 23g.

G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º) - G425 4 Hybrid - i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf Mezz1

14 minutes ago, Rearviewmirror said:

Has anyone else played around with different tungsten weights in their heads yet? My 25 and 28g should arrive on Tuesday so can compare vs the current 23g.

I have a 22g in there now down from the stock 28g. It takes my swing weight down to D-1.  I like it. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 1:55 PM, Habitual Flipper said:

lmao - this is the most golfwrx post I've seen in a while. 

I still feel the most WRX is when a shaft is spotted, with zero information on it, and WRXrs are frothing at the mouth to try it. 

• Like 2

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

Ok, back in the 10k head with a new shaft. What a difference a round makes and a different shaft. I initially had the 10k 10.5 with the Chrome Tour 2.0 at 45.25", just didn't work for me, it wasn't bad but it wasn't any better than the LST with the same shaft, so I sold the first 10k I had. Played with a Ventus Velocore Blue 5S at 45". Night and day for me. Took a few holes to find the middle of the face but once I did I found the middle of the of the face consistently for the rest of the round. 

• Like 2

IMG_1228.jpeg.6f7d0f7478971700d2c42d82927d8a7b.jpegI rented a Ventus Blue 6S and a Black 6S from shaft shack. I have a bunch of other shafts kicking around.  My labeling could be better, but I know what’s what. 

The good old Alta CB 55x appears to be the winner (that was stopped being offered with the G425).  Unless you guys can point out something I’m missing. 

My spin and smash obviously need work. 49 years old. 7 hcp. 

This head crushes the regular Max for me. 

Edited by bogey69

The wizardry of the 10K continues. I cannot hit any club in the bag very well at the moment except putter and driver. 

Given my swing woes, you would think driver would be problematic as well, but that's not the case. Have had two of my best driving rounds ever with this 10K. Still hitting a few snap hooks, need to figure out why that is happening, otherwise this thing is awesome.