2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Anyone successfully used two drivers?

Z1ggy16

My home course has 36 holes and is very tight most of the time and not particularly long. 250 in the fairway leaves a wedge in hand on almost every single par4 and par5s are within reach or designed so it's impossible to reach in 2.

Thinking about building a bomber club for the few holes which are wide open, and then playing a 43" driver on any other hole that isn't a lay up. My next club would likely be a shorter 4w, then a shorter 7w, then 5i on. 

Who's done this and why don't we see more amateurs do something similar? At least when it comes to a shorter driver. 

14 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

why don't we see more amateurs do something similar? At least when it comes to a shorter driver

Most amateurs are mid-high caps, driven by media and what the pros do.  Most of them do not think about crafting a bag of equipment for a short course.  Then there's this, most golfers play different courses.  When I play a short course, I often play them without driver or 3wd, using irons only, 2 to 4 iron off tees.

Phil M. was almost made fun of when he shows up with 2 drivers, and sprays the fairways.  For the Driver to be effective, the user must use it frequently, so he's comfortable controlling it.  What you're thinking may or may not work for you on that course.  That said, 2 drivers IMO are a waste of valuable real estate in the bag.  One driver will only be used on limited tees, so its value to my thinking is low, tantamount to a 62' LW.

I tested drivers from 46" to 43" playing length.  The latter 43 length too much yardage was lost, the former 46 length, though longer on solid strikes, dispersion increased proportionally, which is NOT acceptable.  Eventually, I settled on 44.5 and 44.75" playing length for optimal results. 

Best option, consider a strong 13/14' 3 wood at 43.5", which essentially functions like a lofted driver, and probably as long if not longer than a 43" driver.  One man's thoughts. 

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

2 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Most amateurs are mid-high caps, driven by media and what the pros do.  Most of them do not think about crafting a bag of equipment for a short course.  Then there's this, most golfers play different courses.  When I play a short course, I often play them without driver or 3wd, using irons only, 2 to 4 iron off tees.

Phil M. was almost made fun of when he shows up with 2 drivers, and sprays the fairways.  For the Driver to be effective, the user must use it frequently, so he's comfortable controlling it.  What you're thinking may or may not work for you on that course.  That said, 2 drivers IMO are a waste of valuable real estate in the bag.  One driver will only be used on limited tees, so its value to my thinking is low, tantamount to a 62' LW.

I tested drivers from 46" to 43" playing length.  The latter 43 length too much yardage was lost, the former 46 length, though longer on solid strikes, dispersion increased proportionally, which is NOT acceptable.  Eventually, I settled on 44.5 and 44.75" playing length for optimal results. 

Best option, consider a strong 13/14' 3 wood at 43.5", which essentially functions like a lofted driver, and probably as long if not longer than a 43" driver.  One man's thoughts. 

Thing is, I already put the short driver in play twice and had two of my better rounds all year. But, it suffers on a few holes where you won't get too hurt if your 30 yards off line either way. 

I don't play many different courses anymore, I'm spending 90% of my time on these 36 holes. I figured a 10.5* driver at the same length as a strong 3w is the better part bc it's more forgiving (more moi, more face) and I probably won't be hitting a 13* 3w off the deck... I'm not slow but the carry I think would be similar to a 4w, but the 4w won't roll as much, which may or may not be bad. 

I'm a unique player in that I get worse at golf the further i am from the cup. Driving is my worst suit, and it's generally due to accuracy and losing balls. Last 2 rounds I only lost 1 ball now whereas with my 45.5" I was probably around 3 per round. 

I have switched my three wood to a Taylormade BRNR mini driver at 13.5 degrees, 43".

It is definitely a "fairway finder" and about 20 yards shorter than my regular driver, Taylormade Stealth2 at 9 degrees, 45". I find I am more accurate off the tee with the BRNR than my three wood, easier to hit a consistent cut.

I rarely have to hit three wood from the fairway, and the BRNR is pretty easy to hit from short grass.  Distance control is a little harder, though.

Happy to give my LM numbers if anyone is interested. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Thing is, I already put the short driver in play twice and had two of my better rounds all year. But, it suffers on a few holes where you won't get too hurt if your 30 yards off line either way. 

I don't play many different courses anymore, I'm spending 90% of my time on these 36 holes. I figured a 10.5* driver at the same length as a strong 3w is the better part bc it's more forgiving (more moi, more face) and I probably won't be hitting a 13* 3w off the deck... I'm not slow but the carry I think would be similar to a 4w, but the 4w won't roll as much, which may or may not be bad. 

I'm a unique player in that I get worse at golf the further i am from the cup. Driving is my worst suit, and it's generally due to accuracy and losing balls. Last 2 rounds I only lost 1 ball now whereas with my 45.5" I was probably around 3 per round. 

I hear ya.  LOL, unique, don't think so.  Indexes aside, most amateurs are in your camp.  Driving and around the green are main reasons most people never progress.  I see that with friends and at my last two clubs.  I've said this to friends, better your ball striking and control, and lost balls don't happen.

Yes, any driver is more forgiving, but it's only used off the tee; for 99% of people, off the deck is not wise.  But a decently struck strong 3wd has a better result, and it can be used off the tee and fairway, but that's my thinking.  Again, that's my thinking.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

13 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I hear ya.  LOL, unique, don't think so.  Indexes aside, most amateurs are in your camp.  Driving and around the green are main reasons most people never progress.  I see that with friends and at my last two clubs.  I've said this to friends, better your ball striking and control, and lost balls don't happen.

Yes, any driver is more forgiving, but it's only used off the tee; for 99% of people, off the deck is not wise.  But a decently struck strong 3wd has a better result, and it can be used off the tee and fairway, but that's my thinking.  Again, that's my thinking.

Around the greens helps me usually! Several rounds this year with +sg18 putting and chipping. I'm trying to address one facet at a time and see where that leads me. From 6400 yards you just don't need anything more than a 250 yard drive unless you are really accurate. Look at the pro girls... I watched Rachel Heck when she was about 15 shoot a 70 in the US Open driving it about 240. 

Then on wide open holes I can build an auto flex or a 50g shaft at 46 or 46.5 and send it 300+. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, kthomas said:

My argument would be that the solution you seek is not a matter of equipment, but rather technique.

The setup and technique for a "bomber" swing is different than a fairway finder swing.

Do you need two drivers? Or two different techniques? My personal vote is the latter.

Solution is always just to "get better" but I'm trying to work with what I have right now, while I slowly improve the swing itself. 

• Like 2

I play a regular 9* driver and a 13.5 BRNR mini. The mini is 20 yards shorter than driver for gapping and I never need to hit off deck so it's easier to hit than a standard 3 wood. This set up can work for someone with speed/distance and who tend to play shorter courses. I really like the purpose-built mini driver models for this but you can build down a regular larger head as well with a bunch of added weight.

Along with Phil... Tommy Fleetwood does this. Plays the 13.5 BRNR mini and a Stealth Plus 2 9*. 

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

I can hit a draw or a fade with my 42" Stealth driver.  I have an 41" Stealth driver set to 14* that I've also used, but I don't hit driver far enough to justify carrying both in the bag at the same time.

Right now I hit driver as far as I can and so far this season, it has never gone too far. 😥

This season I've been working on iron contact and driver has suffered until recently from not practicing. 

Last two rounds I've been getting more consistent driver contact as I've gained more confidence with my other clubs.

Edited by ShortGolfer

3aef4ec6-76d7-484c-813e-cc038e192191_text.gif.39c7554f0f34e06a013898db7819ce1d.gif

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I’d never pull a wedge to add another driver.  Being able to hit that 130-140 yd gap with a confident full swing shaves way more strokes than another 10 yards on a drive. 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

1 hour ago, Phabs said:

I’d never pull a wedge to add another driver.  Being able to hit that 130-140 yd gap with a confident full swing shaves way more strokes than another 10 yards on a drive. 

Who’s pulling a wedge for a second driver? The OP laid out a top of the bag adjustment. I’m not seeing a wedge pull comment.

@Dan Drake can chime in on this. He had me going down this path. Still might. Simply don’t have the time to tinker or play with it right now.

• Like 2

Mizuno ST-Z 220 10.5* - Tensei Blue Raw AV 65S

Ping G425 5w 16.5* - Alta CB 65S, Ping G425 7w 19.5* - Tensei Orange AV Raw 75S

Mizuno CLK 22* & 25* - Tensei CK Blue 70S

Mizuno 919 HMP 5i-PW - Recoil 95 F4, Mizuno T22 54 & 58 - Recoil 95 F4

Odyssey 2 Ball Ten White Hot Tour Insert

5 minutes ago, gator022 said:

Who’s pulling a wedge for a second driver? The OP laid out a top of the bag adjustment. I’m not seeing a wedge pull comment.

@Dan Drake can chime in on this. He had me going down this path. Still might. Simply don’t have the time to tinker or play with it right now.

Never said there was a wedge pull comment chief.  Speaking to my own bag 

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

1 minute ago, Phabs said:

Never said there was a wedge pull comment chief.  Speaking to my own bag 

Ah, makes sense. Sorry didn’t follow the context. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 220 10.5* - Tensei Blue Raw AV 65S

Ping G425 5w 16.5* - Alta CB 65S, Ping G425 7w 19.5* - Tensei Orange AV Raw 75S

Mizuno CLK 22* & 25* - Tensei CK Blue 70S

Mizuno 919 HMP 5i-PW - Recoil 95 F4, Mizuno T22 54 & 58 - Recoil 95 F4

Odyssey 2 Ball Ten White Hot Tour Insert

I have done it somewhat playing persimmon. I would carry a Driver at like 11* and a 2 wood at like 13*. Now I will admit when I play persimmon score does not matter I am just having fun. Now days with persimmon and the modern ball the 2 wood is a little easier to elevate off the tee. I can also hit the 2 wood off the deck

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

8 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

tested drivers from 46" to 43" playing length.  The latter 43 length too much yardage was lost, the former 46 length, though longer on solid strikes, dispersion increased proportionally, which is NOT acceptable.  Eventually, I settled on 44.5 and 44.75" playing length for optimal results. 

How many yards difference do you think there is between 45.25 and 44.75? 

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

I feel like a 13° 2 Wood is an excellent choice for 250 yards off the tee at a minimum. Two drivers in the bag devotes 3 spaces to two restricted processes; driving and putting. Me no like.

Still, you should give it a try and see how you like the shorter driver. The worst thing that could happen is you don't like it. There's no one size fits all solution to golf. Some like it, some don't.

I, personally, do not.

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

Years ago….had 3 , 8*,10* and 12*.  No 3W.  The 8* was for a particular par 4 long hole where my drive would end on the up slope.  Flew like a bullet.   
The 10 and 12 depended on elevated tee or not.  
Now I can hit my one and only driver at 10* off the FW (it’s a decent lie) as long as it’s level or up slope.   

• Like 1

I played 2 drivers when I was using the Cobra 9* Deep Face (44.5") and hit the ball crazy high. The second driver took the place of a 3w. It was a 12* Cobra Senior driver of the same model shafted with the same shaft, 1/2" shorter (44"). It was simply my shortest FW. From there I went 3i down to 60* LW. That was my bag setup at the time.

Now with the LS Drivers out there, I am playing my driver at 10.5* at 46" and my 3w is set at 14.5*. I also have a FW set at 18* then 4i down to 60* LW.

I actually hit the ball further now than I did then. As for shorter courses, I hit what the hole calls for. IF my percentage says I can go for the green, I do. If it says I should play to a wider portion, I hit the club that gets there. No need to change the bag.

BT

• Like 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Sometimes the difficulty with the second driver, is getting the trajectory and shot height in a preferred zone.  In order for it to be shorter in distance, it needs to have more loft...in addition to whatever shorter club length you want to go with.

If your main driver is already in the modern higher launch - lower spin zone, then going with a second driver with enough loft to be a reasonable distance shorter, can create something with a really high soft flight.

Which is why a lot of players prefer the "2 wood" or "mini driver" for this concept, where you can get the shorter distance without a higher ball flight

• Like 3