2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Leona Macquire bag setup - perfect for most of us?

i*windows

It’s a solid setup. A lot are similar but I don’t see the need for a 3 wood and a 5 wood with 5 woods going so far.

Differences for me are I play a strong 5 wood and a 7 wood instead of a 3 wood and 5 wood. 

I play only one hybrid at 22 degrees (Mavrik Pro) and I still like a 5 and 6 iron, I just move to a more forgiving head for those clubs (Wilson D9 Forged, Maltby TS1-IM, Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi, etc). I can handle more traditional setups but I try to make the game a little easier where I can without moving to clubs I don’t like the look of. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

That's a solid bag setup for sure that she has!

For the last year or so, my setup has been this:

Driver

5wd or 4wd (depends on which one I carry)

7wd

4H 21 or 22 deg (depends on which one I carry)

5-U

56 deg SW

Putter

Even though I hit my fairway woods really good, I don't see a need for a 3wd in my bag as the 5wd or 4wd is really close to the same yardage and just so easy to hit.

I just tried to play without the 7wd and go D, 4wd, 4H at 21, then 5 iron on down.  Just to see if I can carry less clubs and still be okay!  I like to have a hybrid in the bag as it works better for getting out of the rough but I am not as good with it as I am with woods so considering a 9wd instead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, i*windows said:

Leona Macquire was the world's best  Am, LPGA winner and the best player on the European Solheim Cup. She's not big or strong but she is one hell of a golfer and I think she has a bag setup that would be perfect for a lot of us (obviously excluding all you guys who drive the ball 300+, need xxxx stiff shafts and still want to play a bladed 2 iron)

Leona Macquire bag Solheim Cup

Driver:
  Ping G430 LST (10.5 degrees)
Fairway Woods:
  Ping G430 Max Fairway (14.6 degrees)
  Ping G425 Max Fairway (17.5, 23.5 degrees)
Hybrids: 
  Ping G425 (26, 30 degrees) 
Irons: 
  Ping i210 Irons 7-PW

I currently play, D,5W,7W,5-PW and have some odd gapping's in the setup, I've looked at the clubs I use the most and the type of shots I need to hit and like the look of this setup that Leona has. I'd drop the 3 wood but other than that it looks pretty good to me.  What do you lot think?

With a bag like this that is so heavily comprised of woods/hybrids, my only quibble might be the i210s.  Perhaps switch them out for something more game-improvement (e.g., G425s, Paradyms, Paradym Xs, etc.).  Or go all in and get the Cleveland Launcher XL Halos.  A friend of mine switched to the Halos and loves them. 

I go

driver

Heavenwood

9 wood

4hy

5hy

6-gw

54°

58°

putter

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

4 hours ago, i*windows said:

Leona Macquire was the world's best  Am, LPGA winner and the best player on the European Solheim Cup. She's not big or strong but she is one hell of a golfer and I think she has a bag setup that would be perfect for a lot of us (obviously excluding all you guys who drive the ball 300+, need xxxx stiff shafts and still want to play a bladed 2 iron)

Driver:
Fairway Woods:
Hybrids: 
Irons: 
  Ping i210 Irons 7-PW

I currently play, D,5W,7W,5-PW and have some odd gapping's in the setup, I've looked at the clubs I use the most and the type of shots I need to hit and like the look of this setup that Leona has. I'd drop the 3 wood but other than that it looks pretty good to me.  What do you lot think?

I hate these G425 hybrids. For me, too flat a sole profile. Way inferior to others I have: TM TP, Snake Eye 2 & some old Cobras. 

• Like 1

Too many irons for me now. But did something similar until a few years ago.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5

4W Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8

8,9 Eleven 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 6&GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Ping Sigma G Ketsch B

Thanks for sharing. Get it!

Women have a lot less ego than us idiot guys lol

They tend to be more honest and play with what works best.

Only play up to a 6 iron myself.

Newer stronger and less spin irons mean as we get older they are harder to launch.

My 785's are not too strong or too less spinny, but a 5 hybrid is now in the bag.

See she plays a 3 wood. Cant hit that off the deck. 

But my 5 wood is set at 16.5. Plays like a 4 wood.

7 wood is my go to.

FORE!

Edited by Forged5
  • Like 3

Titleist TSR3 (11*) Hzrdous Smoke Red 50 S
Ping G425 5 wood (set @ 16.5*)- Alta CB 
Ping G425 7 wood (19*) - Alta CB 

Ping G425 4 hybrid (22*) - Alta CB 

Ping G425 5 hybrid (26*) - Alta CB 

Srixon Z 785 irons A-8 / 585 mkll 7-6 irons  - Recoil SmacWrap 
Titleist SM10 SW M 08 / LW D 12
Bettinardi Inovai 6 spud neck 

Bridgestone Tour B RX 
“ 6.3 index and going down!!! 63 years old and going up!!!” Lol

5 hours ago, i*windows said:

Driver:
Fairway Woods:
Hybrids: 
Irons: 
  Ping i210 Irons 7-PW

Through trial and error my setup is pretty darn close to that:

PING G425 SFT DRIVER 10.5*

CALLAWAY BERTHA MINI 1.5 15*

COBRA F6 BAFFLER 5W 19*

ADAMS SPEEDLINE LP 9W 23*

PING G425 5H 26*

PING G425 6H 30*

PING i210 7-UW 

PING GLIDE STEALTH 2.0 54*

PING GLIDE STEALTH 2.0 60*

L.A.B. LINK.1 

• Like 2

PING G425 MAX DRIVER w/ACCRA TZX 255

TAYLORMADE 300 MINI w/ACCRA TZX 265

PING G425 MAX 5W, 7W, 9W w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200F

PING G425 6H w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200H

PING G425 7-SW w/ACCRA ICWT 95

PING GLIDE 4.0 60-10S w/ACCRA I-STEEL 105

PING ZING 2 PLD CUSTOM

Haven’t played 7Ws and 9Ws since my beginning golf days over 20 years ago.  However the year or so post-pandemic, I did have to resort to playing a 5H.

Someone mentioned ego a bit earlier in the thread, but during that period really could’ve taken out my 6I and maybe 7I because using them was nothing more than a swing it and hope adventure. Only reason I didn’t take them out was because I was too self-conscious of how it would look when course staffers loaded my bag onto the cart. Lol.

Thankfully with more regular play have been able to revert to more traditional looking bag, but will throw the 5H back occasionally in if I’m competing in team charity event or while golfing during family vacations (basically because it’s really difficult to play solo at resorts, etc.)

• Like 2

Cleveland Launcher XL 2 Driver 9.5* (beta testing)

Cleveland Launcher XL Fairway 3W 15*

Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 Hybrid 2H 16* / 4H 22* 

PXG 0311 XP Gen6 Double Black Irons 5i - GW 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Black Wedge 54* / 58*

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7 Putter

PXG 0311 Black OPS Driver 10.5* 

9 hours ago, i*windows said:

Driver:
Fairway Woods:
Hybrids: 
Irons: 
  Ping i210 Irons 7-PW

What wedges does she play? It wasn’t listed. 

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 MCA MMT 80X @ 45.5”

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Mini 340 Shaft TBD @ 43.75”

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5S 34” (Yes the Rife Phenom.Z 34” of 10+ years may be retired) 

7 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

It’s a solid setup. A lot are similar but I don’t see the need for a 3 wood and a 5 wood with 5 woods going so far.

Differences for me are I play a strong 5 wood and a 7 wood instead of a 3 wood and 5 wood. 

I play only one hybrid at 22 degrees (Mavrik Pro) and I still like a 5 and 6 iron, I just move to a more forgiving head for those clubs (Wilson D9 Forged, Maltby TS1-IM, Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi, etc). I can handle more traditional setups but I try to make the game a little easier where I can without moving to clubs I don’t like the look of. 

Yep my 5 wood is strong and I carry the 7 wood too. I have my own loft and lie machine and I made a bending bar for those woods and hybrids with a neck on them. My 5 wood stock is 18* I have mine bent up to 16*.

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

1 hour ago, NikeGolfer76 said:

Haven’t played 7Ws and 9Ws since my beginning golf days over 20 years ago.  However the year or so post-pandemic, I did have to resort to playing a 5H.

Someone mentioned ego a bit earlier in the thread, but during that period really could’ve taken out my 6I and maybe 7I because using them was nothing more than a swing it and hope adventure. Only reason I didn’t take them out was because I was too self-conscious of how it would look when course staffers loaded my bag onto the cart. Lol.

Thankfully with more regular play have been able to revert to more traditional looking bag, but will throw the 5H back occasionally in if I’m competing in team charity event or while golfing during family vacations (basically because it’s really difficult to play solo at resorts, etc.)

Well at least you were honest about your ego--- I never cared even back in the day when I hit Macgregor butter knives and carried and could hit a 1 iron. I still carried a little Northwestern laminate 6 wood @24 degrees. I always thought if they wanted to make fun of me then they could play me for serious cash. At my former club we had a gentleman in his early 70s and he carried like 6 hybrids before it became fashionable. He did carry a driver and a 56* Trusty Rusty wedge and of course a putter. He was self taught with those hybrids and could utilize them in more than one way. He shot and beat his age numerous times when I played with him. He had attitude like me hey make fun of me and we can play for some cash. In this game there is more than one way to skin a cat

• Like 3

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

5 hours ago, Phebus said:

I have at 70 years old,

driver 10° set to 10.75°

5 wood 18° set to 17°

7 wood 20°

9 wood 23°

hybrid 26°

6-GW 

54° wedge

56° wedge

putter

Thinking about dropping the 6 iron and going with a 29° hybrid

At 70 years old, with driver swing speed of 80

Titleist 910 D2 12* driver (Ventus TR Red 5R)

Ping G25 5-wood

Looking for a 7-wood

A 5-hybrid to be determined

T300 7 - 9

AP2 PW

Vokey 54* SW

Putter

Thinking of trying a T200 7-iron to see how those would work

• Like 2
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

10 hours ago, i*windows said:

Driver:
Fairway Woods:
Hybrids: 
Irons: 
  Ping i210 Irons 7-PW

My bag is close:

Callaway Rogue ST MAX LS Driver 10.5*

Yamaha 2020 RMX 5 Wood 17* and 7 Wood 20*

Yamaha RMX VD 5 Hybrid 25*

Honma TW 747Vx CBs 6-PW Irons

My 6 iron is 27*.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, i*windows said:

Driver:
  Ping G430 LST (10.5 degrees) TE EXS
Fairway Woods:
  Ping G425 Max Fairway (17.5, 23.5 16.5, 21 degrees) Rogue
Hybrids: 
  Ping G425 (26, 30    22 degrees) BB OSize
Irons: 
  Ping i210 Irons 7-PW  /// Rogue 5i-PW... Calla MDs

For older players (60 +), the whole 4i-6i zone would show some variation. Depends on clubhead speed, shaft, other preferences.

For three seasons, I alternated a 4i reshafted with hybrid graphite with the 4H. Since then, I added a fourth wedge, and retained the hybrid (also, I learned to hit a stinger with the 4H).

Now, the 5i and 6i just give me better control than parallel hybrids.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Looks good to me. I have built my bag to fit what I need, and it definitely would be considered an odd setup. 

D1-~8.75° 

D2-~12°

19° 3hyb 

4-5hyb

5-aw Cleveland Launcher xl's 

56°

The Launcher xl's are made to be a combo set, and when I'm swinging well there's some overlap with the middle of the bag, but the 5i works well for a punch out club and isn't unhittable. 

• Like 3

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

More and more LPGA players, even some swinging close to 100 mph, are using hybrids in the mid-20 degrees loft range (and players like LM with hybrids to 30 degrees are not uncommon either).

I last played with a 25 degree iron (could carry about 180 yards), and thought this was stretching it.  I tried two 25-26 hybrids and concluded the following; iron is better for par 3s and fairway shots, hybrid is better for forced carries, elevated greens, and rough.  I will probably at most (lowest loft) get a 28-30 degree iron in the next set, possibly higher. 

One nuance for me is that I didn't like having (only) one hybrid in the bag.  I rarely practice, just play, and it was strange pulling a club that you haven't hit for rounds every now and then.  I would like a matching 24 degree fairway (Titleist "2") or I will probably drop the 7W and go two hybrids in the low and mid 20 degrees range.  Possibly even go to the high 20s/30 degree range on the hybrids.

I do think the club designs have changed a bit so these high lofted hybrids just go high, but with a fairly flat flight, and straight.  Backup a decade or so and a lot of these just spun like crazy, even at moderate (say LPGA) swingspeeds.

• Like 4

I get the OP’s sentiment. 

I think it depends on the era of golf you learned the game in. 

I learned the game when 7 woods were for seniors and there were no hybrids. 

We ALL had 3 irons in the bag, but not many had a wedge over 56 degrees. 

I still have not found a hybrid I trust, nor a 60 degree wedge. 

She is a remarkable player and could probably beat most of us red assed with a rental set. 

The same is always true; play what works for you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1