2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Has it finally gotten to the point where new drivers really aren't better than the prior model?

The Ultimate Hack

I'm like everyone else on here and love to tinker. Love the idea of new clubs and what those new clubs can bring.

I've like the paradym driver. The stealth 2 plus is an upgrade over the original stealth. Ping is whatever. I'll admit Titleist is making good progress in the driver and fairway wood market. 

But nothing has been able to top my ltdx from last year. You're starting to see it more with pro players as well. Brooks with sim 2. Collin with the OG sim. Hell, you see some even older drivers in players bags.

Has it now gotten to the point where this manufactures have hit a wall and it's impossible to make their driver/fairway wood better?

• Like 3

WITB

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 Core - Ventus Blue+ 6x (45)

4 Wood: Taylormade Qi10 Core - Ventus Blue+ 7x

3 Utility: Mizuno 2024 Pro Fli-Hi - Ventus Blue HB 9x

Irons: Titleist T150 4,5 / T100 6-PW - MMT 125 TX

Wedges: SM10 Raw 52, 56, 60 - MMT 125 TX

Putter: Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Cruiser (35.5)

Balls: Titleist ProV1x

IMO, No.  Designers don't know what they don't know.  Equipment technology never improves every year, but cosmetics improvements are every year, making it appear as if they have something new.  Example: Vokey introduced SM6, it was great, SM7 better, and SM8 not so much, but SM9 is maybe Vokey's best to date, same is true with Drivers.  OEM's only hit a wall if they hit the end of their budget, and got NADA.  The other influence is the OEMs marketing charter.  Titleist is different from consumer marketers, TM & Callaway.

For the most part, I have been a Titleist guy since 2003.  Titleist TSR series woods, by many counts, is the best they have made, and I agree.  It has also been said TSR is the most used on the PGA in a number of events.  The same goes for the T-series of irons.  

• Like 3
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I talked myself into a TSR2 because the shaping was improved compared to previous Titleist "2" heads. Lol. and I'm not unhappy I did that, but yeah I had a SIM Max at the time that produced just as good of numbers. Drivers stopped improving/were maxed out to the limits of the rules around 2017 from memory. You'll find in pro's bags drivers as old as Callaway Epic, but anything older than that you might be leaving a couple yards on the table.

Edited by mattman

Titleist TSR2 10* - Tensei 1K Black 65 X

TM SIM2 Ti 15* - Tensei AV Raw White 75 TX

TM M5 Ti 19* - Tour AD DI 8 X

TM P7MC 4-P - X100

Ping Glide PF 50*, Epon Tour M 56*, 60*- Modus 125 W

Ping Anser 2

I think within the next 2 years we will hit the max.  There is going to be a point where the materials are maxed out, the weights are maxed out, more "autoflex" technology will be adapted to the DTC brand options for more of a mass shafting.  For the most part they are all there now and it is just a preference of looks at this point.  There are some brands that move their weights mm's away from other brands and that is differences that are observed.  

I think that we are there and it will be happening soon to where we only see differences for custom stuff.

• Like 1

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

Comparing our experiences and preferences with professional golf players is comical. They play for a living, so their stakes for failure are significantly higher. In cases, where the players have chosen to return to their previous generation club models is likely either due to their personal confidence in them based on experience hitting the type of shots they want to hit.

I was a prolific switcher of drivers, always searching for the next best thing...chasing a few more yards each year. I have stayed with the TSi3 since the last few years and on the average, it has served my needs well. Any poor 'driving' rounds are simply a result of my poor swings during those rounds.

It is however a lot of fun chasing new driver models each year, so I can certainly appreciate the excitement in trying something new 🙂

• Like 1

Yes, thay are basically just different. Variety is the spice of life though! I am in a srixon zx5 ls and the only thing I liked better in my life was my Sim2 Tour head I had at the end of last year. It's awesome to have so much good gear. 

I also have no idea why people onnthis forum go into a topic to rate it one star. If you don't like what you see move on. I'll rate it 5 to offset.  

3 hours ago, The Ultimate Hack said:

I'm like everyone else on here and love to tinker. Love the idea of new clubs and what those new clubs can bring.

I've like the paradym driver. The stealth 2 plus is an upgrade over the original stealth. Ping is whatever. I'll admit Titleist is making good progress in the driver and fairway wood market. 

But nothing has been able to top my ltdx from last year. You're starting to see it more with pro players as well. Brooks with sim 2. Collin with the OG sim. Hell, you see some even older drivers in players bags.

Has it now gotten to the point where this manufactures have hit a wall and it's impossible to make their driver/fairway wood better?

Impossible? No. Difficult? Yes.

It's not like they've hit a complete wall where they can't find ways to incrementally improve, but new drivers from generation to generation are more often "different" than they are "better". Take Titleist for example, the TSi lineup (previous gen) and the TSR lineup (current gen) are rather different in terms of performance and design - one isn't "better" than the other. The TSR2 is gonna spin a bit less than the TSi2 - so it's simply a tradeoff, one might work better for certain players and their needs. Regarding TaylorMade, their releases feel so frequent that it's difficult to keep track - but there seems to always be talk (idk if it's true or not) about QC control issues on their first gen drivers of a new release (Sim1/Stealth1) versus their second gen (Sim2/Stealth2). QC aside, idk if there's any major performance difference between a Stealth1/Stealth2, or a Sim1/Sim2, but maybe someone can speak more on that. Regarding Callaway, besides some added adjustability, I'm not certain if much has dramatically improved in the past few releases. For Ping, the G425 and the new G430 seem nearly identical. So sometimes, like with Ping,  it's an incremental "improvement" on an existing, proven, design (whether it's an actual measurable improvement is debatable), and other times, like with the Titleist TSI2/TSR2 example, it's a different design all together where it comes down to personal preference/needs.

OEM's do significantly change things up once in a while, and sometimes it ends up being a fail and sometimes it ends up being a noticeable upgrade. Cobra lineups seems to vary most, at least aesthetically, from release to release - although I hear the Aerojet and Ltdx are very similar in performance.

But the biggest improvement I've noticed with driver's in the past few years or so is that "made-for" shafts are becoming less common, so now you can get quality wood shafts from Project X, Mitsubishi Chemical, etc. at no extra expense from many OEM's. Ping seems to have their own proprietary stock shafts and they're high quality, in addition to a couple free after market options. TaylorMade seems to be lacking in this department, at least in terms of stock offerings, as many of their stock shafts are still "made-for"; but I'm sure they still have quality shaft offerings for no-upcharge when ordering custom. Obviously gonna have to dish out a lot of extra $$$ for ultra premium shafts like Fuji Velocore, Graphite Design, etc.. but having spent a ton of money on these ultra expensive shafts myself - in hindsight - I don't think the juice was worth the squeeze over free offerings like HZRDUS Gen4, HZRDUS Smokes, Tensai's, etc.

Edited by mjo23
  • Like 2

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

It is really hard for me to quantify with limited samples, but I think where the most gains have been made is in customization. When I bought the Speedline F11 (pictured) it was basically WYSIWYG. Sure, I could get it reshafted but adjusting would be lead tape only or some other means.

Subsequently, a golfer can customize the weight very easily today to get the right fit while also experimenting with other options along the way to improving consistency. I feel like I've been able to improve my process and consistency much better with the more modern PXG 311 driver. In fact, I feel like I'm reaching a point with the driver where I'm more confident than ever before.

I just never would have been able to customize the F11 this way.

Obviously, there are factors I didn't directly mention, but the above at least covers what I like best. Do I think it can get much better for me?

Not really; because frankly I'll only be buying a new driver when this one wears out. In fact, I might even give it a nice paint coat to refresh it before that. 😄

SpeedlineF11.jpg

• Like 1

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

My 6 year old M3 is about 20 behind my Aerojet head.   Whether that's shaft / head tech whatever -  it makes a difference. 

I can stick the same shaft in my M3 and it doesn't have near the height or the flat trajectory as the Aerojet.  

I played a LTDX LS last year and it's way closer to the Aerojet than to the M3 obviously in terms of flight / distance.  The Aerojet is still a better head than the LTDX LS for my personal swing. 

• Like 2

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

4 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

IMO, No.  Designers don't know what they don't know.  Equipment technology never improves every year, but cosmetics improvements are every year, making it appear as if they have something new.  Example: Vokey introduced SM6, it was great, SM7 better, and SM8 not so much, but SM9 is maybe Vokey's best to date, same is true with Drivers.  OEM's only hit a wall if they hit the end of their budget, and got NADA.  The other influence is the OEMs marketing charter.  Titleist is different from consumer marketers, TM & Callaway.

For the most part, I have been a Titleist guy since 2003.  Titleist TSR series woods, by many counts, is the best they have made, and I agree.  It has also been said TSR is the most used on the PGA in a number of events.  The same goes for the T-series of irons.  

I might regret asking…but how is Titleist different from “consumer marketers” TM and Callaway?   And what is Titleist if not a consumer marketer?

• Like 3

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

This has been the case for a while. Higher and lower spin models and moveable weights changed things a little bit as did more shaft options, but ultimately there are limits to what a driver can do while conforming to USGA regulations. I doubt I’ll find anything that knocks my ST190G and I won’t lie, it’s nice knowing I’ve got a driver for the season. 

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

1 minute ago, NoTalentLefty said:

Not much improvement anymore with my 85 mph swing but driver shafts have been improving at a higher rate.

+1000^

That is an excellent point. I remember when Graphite came out and still have one of the plain old black graphite shafts of which I have no idea of design. The one in that old driver seemed nice but it broke easily......

• Like 1

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

Totally agree they need to all go to a minimum of 2 yr cycle maybe 3 yr to create hype.  The increase in price no longer creates the appeal or desire to buy the latest and so called greatest.  Heck even the pros play older models now.  And when I say older I am referring to 2021 lol.  

the shaft game now is evolving, shaft companies are in line for big profits as long as they keep pricing fair and reasonable. 

Edited by woods991
  • Like 1

Signature of Solon CC

Ping g430 10k 9 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

TM Qi10 max 16 

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max Blue Head Tpt shaft 34/71

58 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

I personally find that they are improving. 

From a forgiveness across the face….staying relatively straight and not losing as much distance …I would agree.  But really not longer…at all.

• Like 1

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

Since I took up golf, 30+yrs back, the best drivers that got my attention were 905T, 905S, SLDR TP 9.5, and the current TSR2 10'.  But none of those Driver heads made the player.  Quality Graphite shafts are the greatest explanation as to why I am still in the game.

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I think I got lucky with the fitted Stealth driver I bought last year.  I've learned to hit draws, fades, and slices that land in the fairway to compensate for my lack of swing speed.  Senior golf. 😉

I heard the original Stealth is better than the new one for working the ball.

I really helped my game to get fitted for driver.  The fitter found a shaft that worked well with my swing.  I hit irons well but not driver.

Edited by ShortGolfer

1 hour ago, Shilgy said:

I might regret asking…but how is Titleist different from “consumer marketers” TM and Callaway?   And what is Titleist if not a consumer marketer?

It isn’t different and it’s a consumer marketer.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

12 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

From a forgiveness across the face….staying relatively straight and not losing as much distance …I would agree.  But really not longer…at all.

We know they're not faster on the top end. But every incremental release is consistently faster away from.center. Spin consistency is getting tighter. 

I am as equally impressed with stealth2+ over stealth+ as I was stealth+ over sim. The off center stuff and spin mgmt when the face is a bit more open is a big leap forward.