2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Does Anyone Play a “Winter” Iron Set?

BCULAW

I’m always looking for “excuses” to buy new gear, but I am actually wondering whether there is a real justification for a winter set of irons. 

I played most of my life in Florida and we didn’t really have a winter season. I moved to Dallas last year and have been introduced to a relatively mild Winter but a lot of dormant turf and very, very wet conditions. I am swinging well, but am struggling with distance in the colder weather and feel like a lot of shots are struck well but don’t get out of the mushy, wet turf cleanly. 

I’m currently playing some 620CBs, but wondering if something with a wider sole, more bounce, and maybe some stronger lofts built for some distance could be a “Winter” option. 

Anyone else play a cold/wet weather set?

Yes but they’re just my old set of MP54s with a softer shaft (KBS Tour S). In an ideal world it would be something with more bounce for soft wet conditions here in Seattle. Stronger lofts would probably work well too for distance and the extra spin isn’t needed as much with soft greens. I don’t think I’d buy a dedicated set though instead of just using it as a reason to play my old set. 

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

I mostly have been playing with my travel P760s...its amazing what 1mm of size can do, its just 1mm but they look smaller then my gamer 770s, let alone the 790 long irons.  I also go to 2 wedges in the winter, drop a club or two to carry lighter with the jackets and such. 

I do go bigger bounce on my 58 for softer conditions, for irons its preferred lies anyway so hit the ball first 😄

Yes, PXG Gen6 XP, 2* weak...perfect.

Problem....N. CA has not only been soft but under water including range.

☹️

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

The difference between 85* and 45* is about two clubs.

I could see someone getting a set of GI's with jacked lofts just for the winter. 

Myself, I just pull 7i instead of 9i. Seems to get the job done. 

• Like 4

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

46 minutes ago, JDennis said:

Here in the arctic Tundra of the upper midwest, winter indoor golf league over laps with fall and spring outdoor. So I have a winter/spring/travel set of clubs for those reasons. 

Plus who doesn't want a excuse for more gear? 

I live in the upper Midwest as well. With alot of fall, some winter, and spring golf being played in the mid 30s I generally use my Ping S55s outdoors when its cold and indoors off the turf. Then I'll use my Callaway CB forged irons once the temps are warmer. Generally I only use the pings, for a little extra forgiveness when swinging with layers, and when hitting off mats a few times per week, they are less likely to move ( lofts and lies), and I have them built identically. 

I do definitely use winter woods ( back up driver and fairways) since I have found cold weather to led to cracking faces a bit more often. 

Generally, a set of clubs for wet conditions isn't going to be worth the expenditure here for me. The rain eventually stops and the greens don't need a lot of drying time to really resume rolling like a golf-ball on marble. (I exaggerate) So, you still want that spin.

The greens were rolling pretty fast about a week and a half ago at the course I played. Best shot of the day came to rest 5ft from the pin. It touched down just inside the fringe on the left side and rolled with the green to its stopping point. It was a considerable distance of roll. Not all of it was sloped, either.

Several shots came in too hot and rolled off the green that day. Sure, it was my fault, but if I tried to play a different set, it most certainly would have to be one that added spin. 😄

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

21 hours ago, BCULAW said:

I’m always looking for “excuses” to buy new gear, but I am actually wondering whether there is a real justification for a winter set of irons. 

I played most of my life in Florida and we didn’t really have a winter season. I moved to Dallas last year and have been introduced to a relatively mild Winter but a lot of dormant turf and very, very wet conditions. I am swinging well, but am struggling with distance in the colder weather and feel like a lot of shots are struck well but don’t get out of the mushy, wet turf cleanly. 

I’m currently playing some 620CBs, but wondering if something with a wider sole, more bounce, and maybe some stronger lofts built for some distance could be a “Winter” option. 

I played traditionally lofted 620 MB with 620 CBs from 2019 to last August before switching to new 1' stronger T100, and NO. 

I travel a lot too, including to Texas, AZ and Maui.  Never had a problem with 620 CBs on soft turf. 

LOL Sounds as if you're looking for reasons to buy new clubs.  Can't say stronger lofted irons will bring you more distance under your present conditions.  I have a 2022 set of T100s irons which are the same strong lofts as the new T150 irons, they didn't bring me much other than higher trajectory and minor yards.

IMO But it depends on what type of ball striker you are... Digger or sweeper/picker/scraper?  I am the latter.  Diggers do well with clubs with large soles, more bounce and blunt leading edge... not so well with 620 CB specs as their specs are just about identical to 620 MB irons, making the best blending sets I've seen.  To get a real digger difference, maybe look at T350 irons.

Currently, we have soft turf here in SOCAL after lots of winter rain.  Played yesterday, course was Cart Path only, because of moisture.  It has been that way on and off for weeks now.  I had no problems with the new T100 irons, and the soles are a shade wider than 620 CB series.  If I was suspect, I take more club.  

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Played in 39° yesterday.  Not as bad as it sounds.  You get warm from walking and carrying. 

At any rate, I just play something with a lighter shaft than in summer.  It helps because I'm not as flexible in the cold due to the cold and also layers. I'm also simply not as fast and i never truly get stretched out.   

By way of example, winter is steelfiber 95s while summer is x100s.  Or winter is autoflex 505x that darn near swings itself and summer is ventus red 6x.  

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 6:51 PM, BCULAW said:

We spent our first winter in Florida this year. Since we brought the dogs with we had to pack light for the sake of space. I had to buy a new set of Titleist T200's down here.  I also bought a cheap bag and an older driver on Marketplace. I should be able to get the irons in the car but will just throw the bag away when we leave. This went over much better with the Mrs. than trying to buy back home!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kevmonton said:

We spent our first winter in Florida this year. Since we brought the dogs with we had to pack light for the sake of space. I had to buy a new set of Titleist T200's down here.  I also bought a cheap bag and an older driver on Marketplace. I should be able to get the irons in the car but will just throw the bag away when we leave. This went over much better with the Mrs. than trying to buy back home!

Perhaps old hickories would have been better then your dogs could have chewed them. 

• Haha 1

No winter set. Just switch to a a softer and lower spin ball. When it’s really wet and cold it could even be a Callaway Supersoft 🤮 You’ll be getting the odd flyer anyway regardless of the ball and the spin isn’t needed as the greens are receptive. The lower spin is also very handy for the never ending uk winter wind. 

The biggest difference I’ve found is really getting a descending AoA and hitting lower launches through the bag aside from driver and 3 wood. The greenkeepers definitely like me a lot less for it though!

Thanks for all of the responses. I don’t mind the cold and am used to adjusting for the loss of distance. I am probably just looking for new gear on that front!

I am really struggling with the wet turf in Dallas, though. I’ve loved in central Florida (sand-based), Virginia (“soggy” Winter turf), and So Cal (firm turf with standing/running water).  The ground here is DIFFERENT. It is clay-based. It literally cracks in the summer heat (like 4 inch wide and 3 feet deep cracks in the middle of the fairway that gobbles up even perfect tee shots!). In the winter, it apparently turns to soup. Standing water is prevalent for weeks at a time and the “dry” turf is soft enough to make descending compression dicey. 

It’s probably not an issue that can be fixed with equipment. I should just be happy the course is open!  I’ll post some pics next time I get out. I’ve never experienced anything like it and was just curious if there are any “fixes.”