I'm quitting golf ...

Comments

• wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 3,957 ✭✭
    My wife mentioned, Hiking....... cost minimal to get into and depending on if you combine camping with it, could run the cost up for onetime equipment purchase . Not required to "update" your hiking equipment as often as in golf. Maybe a pair or two of hiking shoes ( boots ) per year will be your expenses unless you go into those high tech clothing, then it'll coast you plenty.

We have miles and miles of hiking trails around the area and hundreds of trail heads accessible from all parts of the neighborhoods.
  • uitar9uitar9 Members Posts: 396 ✭✭
    3500 posts-joined 2009-think of the time you'll save not cerfing the golf sites.
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]WITB[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]KZG OS11 12 degree driver
    Calloway 16 5-wood
    Calloway
    [/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]20.5 [/font][font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]heavenwood
    Cobra 24.5 9-wood
    [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]KZG 5-PW irons[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]KZG 52 and 56 wedges[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]TM Spider mallet[/font]
  • HackATKHackATK Members Posts: 462 ✭✭
    How about skydiving instructor? Will cost plenty of $$$$ to get certified, takes many jumps (time), and if the chute doesn't open, well no more thinking about golf!
  • bcflyguy1bcflyguy1 Enjoying my coffee... Members Posts: 3,014 ✭✭
    Bowling. If you're looking for another recreational sport that you can compete in with a seriously deep equipment rabbit hole, bowling is it.
    Never forget that the luxury of being
    wrong is not enough to make you right.
    WITB Link
  • El KabongEl Kabong Members Posts: 116 ✭✭
    Your-away! wrote:

Get the in laws to live with you for a couple of weeks, it wont be long before you love golf again.

if not that, try an affair, be cheaper in the long run

Plus you've already laid the groundwork. I can come home 5 hours late from a round of golf, reeking of perfume, with lipstick on my collar (and probably elsewhere), and my wife will just roll her eyes and say "Nice try. You played 36, didn't you?"
  • bandrzbandrz Members Posts: 962 ✭✭
    fly fishing

and if you really want to blow more cash, fly tying.
  • wrmillerwrmiller Members Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    USPSA competitive shooting.

Spend thousands on competitive (especially if competing in 3-gun matches and Open class) weapons, accessories, and ammo. And it requires a bunch of practice time to be competitive, or you could just do it for fun.

You'll discover that golf is relatively cheap and doesn't take that long. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Primary bag:
    Titleist 913 D3 8.5
    Titleist 915Fd 13.5
    Titleist 913h 17
    Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
    Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
    Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
    Ping G400 9
    Ping G30 fw 13
    Ping G30 hybrid 19
    Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
    Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
    Bettinardi mid-shank putter
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭
    tatertot wrote:

It takes too long, there are too many cheaters, and I'm not smart enough to play.

Any suggestions on a new hobby to spend my newfound 16 hours a week and thousands of dollars of disposable income on?

P.S. Wife already said no to hookers and blow.

By the way: Blow or smack is illegal and the proper monetary term is discretionary income.
  • PeanutsDaddyPeanutsDaddy Members Posts: 8,658 ✭✭
    edited May 24, 2018 #40
    How about joining those who walk around the mall early in the morning. You can window shop and commiserate with the other mall walkers.

And/or start a zen garden.

Or volunteer at a community kitchen. Tatertots, it fits : ) An aside, love those carb loaded, deep fried balls of goodness.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Cobra King F7 9*<br />Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)<br />Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)<br />Wishon 775hs 21*, 24*, 27<br />NCW 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*<br />Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)<br />Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon
  • DivinDaveDivinDave Longview TexasMembers Posts: 540 ✭✭
    take piano lessons
    Experience - What's leaned just after you needed it most
  • jaymayorjaymayor Members Posts: 327

How about joining those who walk around the mall early in the morning. You can window shop and commiserate with the other mall walkers.

Or volunteer at a community kitchen. Tatertots, it fits : ) An aside, love those carb loaded, deep fried balls of goodness.

Devonshire?
  • Petunia SprinklePetunia Sprinkle Future King of France Unregistered Posts: 5,362 ✭✭
    DivinDave wrote:

take piano lessons

A couple of weeks playing Polly Wolly Doodle should send him screaming back to the golf course.
  • PeanutsDaddyPeanutsDaddy Members Posts: 8,658 ✭✭
    jaymayor wrote:

Devonshire?

I wonder if they will sell tatertots at the new buffet Jay?
    Cobra King F7 9*<br />Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)<br />Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)<br />Wishon 775hs 21*, 24*, 27<br />NCW 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*<br />Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)<br />Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon
  • munichopmunichop Members Posts: 209 ✭✭
    My brother quit golf over 2 decades ago. He started bird watching as a hobby. I do a little but I am not obsessed (no life list). Turns out Arizona is a great place to watch birds. Some folks actually take trips here to see among other things the elegant trogon, ruddy ground dove and phainopeplas. It has its seasons too due to the migrations. There are crazy web sites like this only devoted to birds. You can spend hundred or thousands on binoculars and spotting scopes. And you can learn an entire new set of jargon that only the zealots will understand. You can saw things like "boobey" and people will think you are talking about feet. What's not to like?
  • tannyhobantannyhoban Members Posts: 1,852 ✭✭
    Ferguson wrote:

tatertot wrote:

It takes too long, there are too many cheaters, and I'm not smart enough to play.

Any suggestions on a new hobby to spend my newfound 16 hours a week and thousands of dollars of disposable income on?

P.S. Wife already said no to hookers and blow.

By the way: Blow or smack is illegal and the proper monetary term is discretionary income.

I believe dispoable is apt.
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,338 ✭✭
    Become a Big Brother and teach the kid to play golf.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1
  • nbg352nbg352 Members Posts: 8,320 ✭✭
    jbrunk wrote:

Learn a musical instrument. I’d suggest the drums, a nice kit runs about the same as a set of clubs. Drum lessons are much cheaper than golf lessons. You’d get pretty far practicing 16 hours a week.

AND.......your wife may change her mind about the hookers and blow.........
    R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
    Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
    RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
    Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
    GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
    54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat
  • MedicMedic Members Posts: 9,422 ✭✭
    Dancing. Will take lots of lessons to really get good at it. Your wife will appreciate the results. You'll look great in a tux. And it's a great cardio workout.
    Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
    Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
    Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
    Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
    Titleist Vokey 50*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
    Tad Moore TM-1 35"
    Callaway Chrome Soft
  • GolfMonster09GolfMonster09 PING Staff 2019 Members Posts: 1,498 ✭✭
    Photography. A good quality DLSR with various lenses will cost a pretty penny. Plus you've no doubt gotten up at 4:30 to make it to an early tee time, so getting up that early to get good sunrise shots won't be unreasonable. It can take hundreds of hours and thousands of shots to get the one shot you've been going after.
    PING G410 LST 9* (Weight neutral) - HZRDUS Black 6.5 
    PING G410 14.5* LST - Tensei Pro White TX 70
    PING i500 3 iron - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
    PING Blueprint 4-Pw - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
    PING Glide Forged (Ping Man stamps) - 50º/54º/58º - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
    PING PLD Anser "Honey Badger"
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • FadeFade Members Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    edited May 24, 2018 #51
    Start collecting gold coins. That way, when you discover your income wasn't disposable after all, you can reverse your mistake.
  • 3puttshakur3puttshakur Members Posts: 157 ✭✭
    +1 for photography

Stop being a golf gear Ho and develop G.A.S. instead.
  • MichaelJScottMichaelJScott SchruteFarms Members Posts: 284 ✭✭
  • EKELLYEKELLY Members Posts: 2,593 ✭✭
    I've tried everything else, it sucks worse than golf! Man up Buttercup, keep plugging away!.....
  • sprcoopsprcoop Tucson, AZMembers Posts: 813 ✭✭
    edited May 25, 2018 #55

Photography. A good quality DLSR with various lenses will cost a pretty penny. Plus you've no doubt gotten up at 4:30 to make it to an early tee time, so getting up that early to get good sunrise shots won't be unreasonable. It can take hundreds of hours and thousands of shots to get the one shot you've been going after.

DSLR (Digital Single Lense Reflex)? I'm dyslexic also.

That sounds just like my golf game!

Driver: TaylorMade R7 425CC 8.5* Grafalloy blue S
    3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R
    5W: TourModel III True Temper S
    2I: TourModel III True Temper S
    3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S
    SW: TourModel III True Temper S
    Putter: Cobra Anvil 005
    Ball: Ksig 3 piece

• FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭
    Broad jumping can be fun. Good exercise.
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,463 ✭✭
    Ferguson wrote:

Yeah, but the broads get mad at me, and so does my wife.
    Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Sun Mountain Swift X
  • The GeneralThe General Members Posts: 1,735 ✭✭
    PS4 call of duty or assassins creed or fortnite
  • lookylookitzadamlookylookitzadam Members Posts: 468 ✭✭
    You can start YouTube channel where you follow random golfers around for 18 holes and annouce their shots, lies, etc like on the golf channel.
  • Petunia SprinklePetunia Sprinkle Future King of France Unregistered Posts: 5,362 ✭✭
    Ferguson wrote:

Corn Hole requires less athleticism.
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,542 ClubWRX
    Ruddy ground dove and phainopeplas are playing at Lollapalozzo in Chicago this summer.