Do you think you will be playing golf the rest of your life? Tell us why?

Comments

• OldFrog75OldFrog75 Fort Worth, TexasMembers Posts: 55 ClubWRX
    msg wrote:

I will play as long as my body can.

Me too.
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Posts: 910 ✭✭
    End of season thought: “ so happy I left NY so my season does not end”
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • High Plains DriverHigh Plains Driver Chip Yipper Extraordinaire Members Posts: 2,377 ✭✭
    I've been playing since my senior year in HS (1987) and the longest I have ever not played has been 3 and a half months after a significant hospital stay. While my desire to play has ebbed and flowed over the years, I can't see myself ever not wanting to play. ****, I love to go to the range and beat balls and always have when I have the time/opportunity.
    I am not brand loyal. I am just seriously OCD.

[font=georgia,serif]Driver: Taylormade M4
    Fairway: Taylormade M4 3HL
    Hybrid: Taylormade M4 19°
    Irons: Taylormade M1 4-P
    Wedges: Taylormade ATV 50°, 56° (bent to 55°), and 60°
    Putter: Taylormade DA-12/Taylormade Spider/Taylormade Est 79 TM-110
    Ball: Taylormade Tour Preferred X/TP5X
    [/font]
  • Tcann32Tcann32 Members Posts: 3,527
    Yes, because I’m a glutton for punishment and enjoy self degradation for 4 - 12 hrs a week.

Providing that I don’t get some form of health related issue that prevents me from playing, I’d have a hard time seeing my life with no golf at all. I didn’t get to play much last year and it took the better half of the season to accept that I wasn’t going to be making a whole ton of improvements in the near future and that progress would slow or halt all together for a while, but once I accepted that, it answered my question as to whether I’d really wanna golf if I wasn’t able to play a lot and dedicate a good chunk of time to my game, and since I still enjoyed it, almost more in some ways, I can say I’d like to continue playing for life!
    What's actually in the bag...
    Callaway Epic SZ-9.0-Aldila X-Torsion Green Mamba-70TX
    Callaway Epic SZ 15* - PX Handcrafted Yellow 75 6.5
    Callaway Apex UT 21* - C- taper S+
    Miura LH LTD Black Blades: 3-p w/ DG TI X7's.
    Cleveland RTX 3: 50-54 w. C-Taper S+
    Scratch 1018: 58 w/ C-Taper S+
    Piretti Potenza / Odyssey MX #7

Others gamed on occasion:
    Callaway BBA (2014)
    Callaway 13 X Forged w/ AMT X100's (hard stepped once)
    Scratch Golf 51,55,58,59
    Wilson Staff Kirk Currie Milled
  • clp34vmpclp34vmp Cancel that mead Posts: 230 ✭✭
    I sure hope I can keep playing until right before they're ready to put me six feet under. Seeing everything my dad has gone through both physically and mentally in his old age has made me keenly aware of how finite the time we have to pursue our passions can be.
  • dropkickeddropkicked Members Posts: 477 ✭✭
    Yes, 'cus married.... image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' /> image/superman.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':superman:' />
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 3,355 ClubWRX
    Golf is great and I will be playing into my 70's and 80's depending on my health. I love getting out there and competing with the golf course and my own skills. No one to depend on or nobody decides what you shoot. That is what is great about the game. It is a game of self. Self thought, self skill set. I love spending a 4 hour round with my buddies talking about life and the game. Then having lunch and sharing a pitcher of beer. I have been blessed to be introduced to the game in high school and 20 years later I still love getting out there.
    Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra MB/CB 4-PW DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra MB 50/54/60 DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Taylor Made Ghost Long Hosel DA22
    Vice Pro +
  • BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited Nov 19, 2018 #99
    Yes definitely plan to play golf til I croak! Plan on playin senior competitive golf but will my injuries let me: arthritis, back, hands, feet, wrists, shoulders, elbow. Oh look out seniors here I come...I can hear them shaking in their boots or is that the rickets lol!
    G30 LS
    M2 BMW
    XR 4 Hybrid
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros
    Cleveland Blob
    Square Strike
    SeeMore Butts
  • YuckYuck Fore! Members Posts: 2,446 ✭✭
    After playing 50+ years, unfortunately, probably not, My Dad, who has always taken care of himself, and is still quite fit, had to stop at around 75 years old because of pain issues, (Joint Pain issues, mostly hands). He is over 80 now, and still hikes quite a bit and has new hobbies. The pain issues he has also started affecting me about 3 years ago. I would like to play at least another 5 years, but my hands will determine that. I have gone to jumbo grips and graphite to help, but I can see the day when that won't be enough.
  • shoot4parshoot4par Life's A Course ClubWRX Posts: 129 ClubWRX

I’m planning on pulling a Bing Crosby.

YES!!!! By far the way I want to go at the age of 85. It's the game for a lifetime. I'm going to play as long as I can.
    Jones did it with corn whiskey. Hogan with cigarettes & Tiger with will.
    On Sunday morning I'll take the back row seat
    If you were wondering the secrets in the dirt.

WITB
    Driver: Callaway XR Pro 9* (N/S) Oban Kiyoshi Black 65g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Callaway Epic Subzero 9* (N/S) (TC) Kiyoshi White 65g 04 Kiyoshi White 65 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Fairway Wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro Limited 16.5* Kiyoshi White 75g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Hybrid: Idea Pro Black 20 * Project X 6.0 (Iomic White .60)
    Irons: Miura 1957 Baby Blades 4-PW KBS TOUR 120s Black standard loft / standard lie (Iomic White .60)
    Wedges: Vokey Wedgeworks 52*, 56*, 60* Soon to have KBS Matte Black 120s (Iomic White .60)
    Putter: I try to change everyday to ward off monotony and consistency

WITB
  • silver504silver504 Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Yes, Hopefully. I truly love this game. I enjoy playing with my buddies and being paired up with different players.
  • bullsfanbullsfan Members Posts: 466 ✭✭
    I sure hope so, good god willing and the creek don't rise.

• eric13eric13 Members Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Can’t think of what else I could do. It’s all about quality of life to me
  • buckrogers71buckrogers71 Posts: 266 ✭✭
    edited Nov 20, 2018 #105
    I hope so. Started at 16 (now 47) and have had an on and off love affair with the game. Stopped playing for bit in college, then picked it back up, stopped playing for a but when the kids were little, but now I dont think there is a day that goes by that I dont touch a club. But who knows.

Truthfully, when its time to check out, I hope I'm on a golf course. LOL
  • FourTopsFourTops Banned Posts: 1,676 ✭✭
    I make more business deals on the golf course than in any conference room. My dad told me that when I was 12. But my first Eagle when 13 helped.
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members Posts: 3,511 ✭✭
    We have a 96 year old at our club who’s one of my life hero’s. Highly decorated WW2 fighter pilot who plays 3 times per week and walks a good part of the course. Can still hit the ball and has just the best attitude on the course I’ve ever seen. Then his wife who’s about 20 years younger comes with him each morning and sits outside with her morning coffee reading a book and just waiting for her man to complete his round. Then the 2 of them have lunch together and holding hands throughout lunch. Just magical

I have 2 greatest loves in my life besides my wife and kids...playing golf and watching golf. So, if ever my body tells me it’s time to quit, I can always live vicariously through watching the pros and following in my hero’s footsteps.
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,237 ClubWRX
    As long as I can make somewhat of a pass at it, will be there.
    F9 9* Atmos Black TS7
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 75
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 75
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • DaveGoodrichDaveGoodrich Members Posts: 980 ✭✭
    I certainly plan to play until I can't. I started later in life than most folks here (at 45, now 57), so I've still got some catching up to do... I am fortunate to be healthy and injury free. I try not to think about the possibility that injury, illness, etc., could prevent me from playing golf in my retirement. It seems too scary to contemplate (almost the definition of a "1st World Problem"). So I'm playing as much as I can so I don't think about it.
    Titleist 917D3 w/YS-6+
    Taylormade V-steel 15* w/YS-6+ FW
    Titleist 909h 17* and 21* w/YS-hybrid
    Adams dHy 24* w/Aldila RIP Tour 115
    Adams XTD Forged 6 (28*) - PW (48*) w/Aldila RIP Tour 115 (bent to 5* loft gaps)
    Vokey SM4 TVD 50M w/Aldila RIP Tour 115
    Vokey SM6 56S w/Aldila RIP Tour 115
    Vokey SM6 60M w/Aldila RIP Tour 115
    Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,390 ✭✭
    I am pushing on 70 and expect to be playing the game as long as my body holds together. image/beach.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':beach:' />
    • Titleist TS2 9.5, Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec 60 "S"
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, Blueboard 83 x5ct,"S"
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Tour AD Utility, "S"
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-PW, C-Taper Tour
    • SM6 F-52*, C-Taper Tour
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1

• MetaGolferMetaGolfer Banned Posts: 10
    Judging on what went down today....the rest of my life will be tomorrow's round. Lol.
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,377 ClubWRX
    I really don't see myself playing in my seventies at all. I will be shot by then with shoulder and hip problems that are in full swing, but who knows! Then I can just watch the grand kids play!
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    GBB XR16 5 & 7 WD
    GBB OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    P790 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • 118811118811 Posts: 161 ✭✭
    I’m about to turn 60.

Been playing since I was 30. My handicap is currently 8.... lowest I ever got was 4.

I’ve only shot even one time this year. Might be time to lower my expectations!

Being on the course playing mediocre golf...and wishing I was at a bar.

Not planning on playing again till 2019
  • TheLarchTheLarch Major Winner Members Posts: 964 ✭✭
    I'm 61 and have been playing since grade school. I plan on quitting once I have the game figured out.
    Tayormade 2016 M2 HL Driver 
    Taylormade 2016 M2 3 wood 15*
    Taylormade RBZ 5 wood 19*
    Taylormade RBZ hybrid 22*
    Mizuno MP H5 irons 4/PW 
    Cleveland 588 RTX 50* & 56* Wedges
    Ping iN Craz-e putter
  • rjp217rjp217 Posts: 226 ✭✭
    Yep, one of the few sports where I may get better as I get older, haha. But in all seriousness I’d love to trade 40yds off my drive for a few more one putts!
    In Bag:

TaylorMade M3 9.5* (Tensei Pro White 70TX)
    P790UDI 2 (Aldila RIP Alpha 105X)
    Mizuno MP18: MMC FH 3-4 / MMC 5-6 / SC 7-8 / MB 9-PW (KBS Tour 130X)
    Cleveland RTX4 Black 50* (DG TI Onyx X100)
    Cleveland RTX3 Raw 54* / 60* (DG TI Onyx X100)
    PXG Bat Attack P 375 (Black Steel)

On Rotation:

TaylorMade M3 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70X)
    Mizuno MP18 MMC FH 2 (KBS Tour 130X)
    '18 TM O-Works 7CH (Black Steel)
  • AugustokAugustok Members Posts: 74 ✭✭
    I don’t know what else I’d do. Been playing more than 50 years. I think that because most of us are still walking our course it keeps us in better condition than might otherwise be the case. However it could be getting too expensive for me. I live in an expensive area of the country and am retired. I play 3-4 times a week in season and go to the gym instead in the winter. Haven’t lost a lot of distance but I’m planning to shave some strokes next year by improving my short game hopefully.
  • SwampratSwamprat Members Posts: 26
    As long as I can walk and swing a club
  • Fingers crossed yes! After starting last year golf had become a great escape a d personal Challange for me.

I've also had chance to spend a bit more time with my father and started taking my children on the course with me on Sundays.

• mds5062mds5062 Members Posts: 78
    I sure hope so. I just enjoy being outside and the feeling you get when playing a good round and everything is going well is so good. Don't think I could find another hobby that does that for me.
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,095 ✭✭
    TheLarch wrote:

I'm 61 and have been playing since grade school. I plan on quitting once I have the game figured out.

Well played sir!
  • msh134msh134 Members Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Golf is a great game, and unlike some other sports, it can be played your entire life if you have the desire, the health, the $, etc.

So how about you, looking into your future plans as you see them right now with this great game, do you think you will be playing golf the rest of your life?

I sure hope so my health is good as I get closer to retirement and plan on playing until I drop