Driver vs Driver 2

1111214161719

Comments

  • MychMych Members Posts: 1,893 ✭✭
    Cortex looked like it sat behind the ball better. Roswell seemed to sit up quite a bit on the toe side. Cortex almost looks like a large 3w behind the ball.
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5*~ F6 Baffler 16.5* ~ Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~ Forged Tec One 3i ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Ping Tatum putter
    6 club minimalist: Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Ping Tatum putter ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,030 ✭✭
    morgan1819 wrote:


    How about instead of a Golf Channel infomercial, have the team that designed the Staff FG Tour V6 irons, design a Staff FG Tour V6 driver.



    Make a forgiving model and then offer a lower spin, players model. Call it the Turbo V6 if they want. Call it the Duo if you want some instant recognition.



    Wilson easily has the resources to design a driver that competes directly with Callaway and TM. They simply need to do it, and then loan one to every significant, unbiased reviewer.



    ...






    Il add to that ..... after they design a equal or superior driver, they need to spend the big $ to get a free agent bomber like Keopka etc to play it .. Thats what they lack... their own staffers wont play their drivers... I was just talking about this to a development staff advisory team member... He said same thing ... his quote was " if rory played the triton it would sell... " hes correct
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot


  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,492 ✭✭

    morgan1819 wrote:


    How about instead of a Golf Channel infomercial, have the team that designed the Staff FG Tour V6 irons, design a Staff FG Tour V6 driver.



    Make a forgiving model and then offer a lower spin, players model. Call it the Turbo V6 if they want. Call it the Duo if you want some instant recognition.



    Wilson easily has the resources to design a driver that competes directly with Callaway and TM. They simply need to do it, and then loan one to every significant, unbiased reviewer.



    ...






    Il add to that ..... after they design a equal or superior driver, they need to spend the big $ to get a free agent bomber like Keopka etc to play it .. Thats what they lack... their own staffers wont play their drivers... I was just talking about this to a development staff advisory team member... He said same thing ... his quote was " if rory played the triton it would sell... " hes correct




    Rory coildn’t really sell Nike clubs, how could he sell a Wilson driver?
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • MackdiddypMackdiddyp Members Posts: 1,023 ✭✭
    edited Nov 9, 2018 #395

    morgan1819 wrote:


    How about instead of a Golf Channel infomercial, have the team that designed the Staff FG Tour V6 irons, design a Staff FG Tour V6 driver.



    Make a forgiving model and then offer a lower spin, players model. Call it the Turbo V6 if they want. Call it the Duo if you want some instant recognition.



    Wilson easily has the resources to design a driver that competes directly with Callaway and TM. They simply need to do it, and then loan one to every significant, unbiased reviewer.



    ...






    Il add to that ..... after they design a equal or superior driver, they need to spend the big $ to get a free agent bomber like Keopka etc to play it .. Thats what they lack... their own staffers wont play their drivers... I was just talking about this to a development staff advisory team member... He said same thing ... his quote was " if rory played the triton it would sell... " hes correct




    Wilson has already been making great drivers equal to the other top brands. The FG Tour F5 Driver I think gave a lot of players exactly what they were asking for at the time. A classic shaped, deep faced, forward CG driver. Ball speeds were equal to that of the M1 and M2. If it was stamped Taylormade or Titleist, they would have flown off the shelves. The C300 Driver is great now too. I think the problem is a lot of people hop on the bandwagon of saying the drivers are crap because they hear it from several people who won’t play anything with Wilson on it, because it reminds them of K-Mart. So they never give the club a real chance. That, and they are not found all over to demo, and if you find one, the shaft options are limited. Several players of their tour staff have been using their drivers. Troy Merritt won in 2018 with a D300 Driver in the bag. Ricky Barnes had been using a C300 driver pretty much all season until recently. It’s just kind of sad to say, no matter how good of a driver they put out after this show, they’re not going to sell like a Taylormade or a Callaway, even if they out perform them. Wilson doesn’t really need help making a driver. This show is all for advertisement and to try and increase brand awareness and sales.



    But I do agree, they really need a young superstar to play their clubs including the driver.
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ALClubWRX Posts: 3,258 ClubWRX
    It’s sll about the demo. They need a good demo cart. That’s why Mizuno fails. I love Mizuno drivers, but only having one shaft to demo is just dumb.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 
    Titleist TS2 15* 
    Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 4-pw
    Mizuno T7 50/55/60 wedges
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,492 ✭✭


    I don't know if any of you have noticed the fine print at the beginning or end of the show that says, "Wilson and Golf Channel have financial interests in the success of the winning driver", or something to that effect. That's interesting and I guess it makes sense. How else could Wilson pay for all this exposure?




    Yes a golf club manufacturer has a stake in whether their club sells well or not
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,492 ✭✭
    Wilson will be using the Atmos shaft line in this driver, but is there a downside to only having one type of shaft available? Every other driver that Wilson is competing against has a range of shaft options.
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • bubbagumpbubbagump SLDR $5000 Challenge The EmpireMembers Posts: 5,570 ✭✭
    My biggest takeway so far, when did Eric Gagne get that swole?! Either his baggy jersey and pants did him no justice, or he has been doing work since he left the bigs.
    8.5* Ping G400 LST with TS Speeder 7.2
    12* SLDR Mini with TS Speeder 7.2
    17* Ping G400 with TS Speeder 9.8
    19* Mizuno MP18 FLI HI with KBS C-taper
    5-GW Mizuno JPX 900 Forged with KBS C-taper
    60* Cleveland RTX-3 CB with KBS C-taper

    Toulon Atlanta
  • A.G. Pennypacker A.G. Pennypacker Members Posts: 487 ✭✭
    Agreed about the demos. If the sales people could say "You hit the new Taylormade M74 pretty well, but lots of our customers are getting better results with the Wilson DvD, why don't we fit you into that one to see how it compares?", they would sell a lot more than the current situation where they can only fit 10% of people properly (if that).
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,492 ✭✭
    bubbagump wrote:


    My biggest takeway so far, when did Eric Gagne get that swole?! Either his baggy jersey and pants did him no justice, or he has been doing work since he left the bigs.




    Always been big I'd imagine and the banggy clothes hid it. He's so strong right now you'd think he was on HGH or something.
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,328 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:


    Wilson will be using the Atmos shaft line in this driver, but is there a downside to only having one type of shaft available? Every other driver that Wilson is competing against has a range of shaft options.




    Unless something changes I believe they will still be offering their other stock shafts abd hust chise this shaft as the baseline stock similar to how other brands have a stock offering but offer several. Limiting to just one shaft would be a huge mistake by any company because it may not fit every golfer.
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members Posts: 3,331 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:



    I don't know if any of you have noticed the fine print at the beginning or end of the show that says, "Wilson and Golf Channel have financial interests in the success of the winning driver", or something to that effect. That's interesting and I guess it makes sense. How else could Wilson pay for all this exposure?




    Yes a golf club manufacturer has a stake in whether their club sells well or not


    How does the Golf Channel profit from it?
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,492 ✭✭
    edited Nov 10, 2018 #404
    SubaruWRX wrote:

    Holy Moses wrote:



    I don't know if any of you have noticed the fine print at the beginning or end of the show that says, "Wilson and Golf Channel have financial interests in the success of the winning driver", or something to that effect. That's interesting and I guess it makes sense. How else could Wilson pay for all this exposure?




    Yes a golf club manufacturer has a stake in whether their club sells well or not


    How does the Golf Channel profit from it?




    Ratings from DVD2 go into factoring ad money for DVD3. Sounds like there are bonuses Golf Channel gets depending on how many are sold.



    But I should add that I misread Snowman9000's original question. I'm a little surprised that Golf Channel has a financial interest in how well this driver does.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • MojoEdMojoEd Members Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:

    SubaruWRX wrote:

    Holy Moses wrote:



    I don't know if any of you have noticed the fine print at the beginning or end of the show that says, "Wilson and Golf Channel have financial interests in the success of the winning driver", or something to that effect. That's interesting and I guess it makes sense. How else could Wilson pay for all this exposure?




    Yes a golf club manufacturer has a stake in whether their club sells well or not


    How does the Golf Channel profit from it?




    Ratings from DVD2 go into factoring ad money for DVD3. Sounds like there are bonuses Golf Channel gets depending on how many are sold.


    Hints of that when the judges reference poor shots that were never on screen. Rozewell was presented in the most favorable light this past episode, which strengthens bet that it will be the winning design. I don’t fault either GC or Wilson for this aspect of there relationship. Always rooted for the GC, now rooting for Wilson, which is new for me.
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,492 ✭✭
    MojoEd wrote:

    Holy Moses wrote:

    SubaruWRX wrote:

    Holy Moses wrote:



    I don't know if any of you have noticed the fine print at the beginning or end of the show that says, "Wilson and Golf Channel have financial interests in the success of the winning driver", or something to that effect. That's interesting and I guess it makes sense. How else could Wilson pay for all this exposure?




    Yes a golf club manufacturer has a stake in whether their club sells well or not


    How does the Golf Channel profit from it?




    Ratings from DVD2 go into factoring ad money for DVD3. Sounds like there are bonuses Golf Channel gets depending on how many are sold.


    Hints of that when the judges reference poor shots that were never on screen. Rozewell was presented in the most favorable light this past episode, which strengthens bet that it will be the winning design. I don’t fault either GC or Wilson for this aspect of there relationship. Always rooted for the GC, now rooting for Wilson, which is new for me.




    That scenario doesn’t work unless Tim Clark and Wilson knew very early on what driver they’d choose
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • MojoEdMojoEd Members Posts: 176 ✭✭


    Hey, I like the show and wish the best for GC and Wilson, but you have to remember that there is a 5 mo. lag or so between shooting and air time. Lots of room for editing. Hey, both of the final two drivers look strong, so it is all good in my book.
  • DFinchDFinch Members Posts: 1,435 ✭✭
    As a tech/CG/launch/spin/ball speed geek I get annoyed at the reality (as shown in the show) that a lot of people don't care about any of that and just want looks and sound.



    I want them to cover things like amount of CG movement with each weight system, changes in launch/spin, any face tech or design features designed to retain ball speed, hosel adustability, etc.. With the golf spy guys guest judging, I wanted to see talk about CG/neutral axis positioning since they pretty much broke that code and provide it for current driver designs.



    Otherwise it's just a beauty contest.
    Titleist TS3 8.75* Evenflow White / Cobra F6 3W 15.5* / Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5* / Maltby TS2 DG105 X100 / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Evnroll ER8 Gravity Grip / Snell MTB X
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,492 ✭✭
    DFinch wrote:


    As a tech/CG/launch/spin/ball speed geek I get annoyed at the reality (as shown in the show) that a lot of people don't care about any of that and just want looks and sound.



    I want them to cover things like amount of CG movement with each weight system, changes in launch/spin, any face tech or design features designed to retain ball speed, hosel adustability, etc.. With the golf spy guys guest judging, I wanted to see talk about CG/neutral axis positioning since they pretty much broke that code and provide it for current driver designs.



    Otherwise it's just a beauty contest.




    They are doing some of that, but too much of it probably bores the average golfer
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • DFinchDFinch Members Posts: 1,435 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:

    DFinch wrote:


    As a tech/CG/launch/spin/ball speed geek I get annoyed at the reality (as shown in the show) that a lot of people don't care about any of that and just want looks and sound.



    I want them to cover things like amount of CG movement with each weight system, changes in launch/spin, any face tech or design features designed to retain ball speed, hosel adustability, etc.. With the golf spy guys guest judging, I wanted to see talk about CG/neutral axis positioning since they pretty much broke that code and provide it for current driver designs.



    Otherwise it's just a beauty contest.




    They are doing some of that, but too much of it probably bores the average golfer




    I agree. I don't envy their job of balancing entertainment with technical jargon, but the contest itself is really tailored for engineers and I'd love to see a deeper dive into the engineering and relate it to performance for each design.
    Titleist TS3 8.75* Evenflow White / Cobra F6 3W 15.5* / Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5* / Maltby TS2 DG105 X100 / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Evnroll ER8 Gravity Grip / Snell MTB X
  • Jason mJason m Members Posts: 267 ✭✭
    Pulling for the roswell! He and I went to the same high school, albeit 20 some years apart.
  • Golfer_1993Golfer_1993 Members Posts: 602 ✭✭
    edited Nov 11, 2018 #413


    EP6_Leaderboardv2.jpg




    See that's interesting. Tim Clark has been saying from the start that he was scared the Cortex wouldn't hold up, and it would be challenging to manufacture it. But in all the judging grids, he's in front of the Rozwell for durability/manufacturability.



    Also, I want to point out something. If you guys check the pictures of the driver, you'll notice the DvD2 logo on the Cortex crown, but it's nowhere to be seen on the Rozwell. Why would it be on one driver, but not the other?
  • BlackM00NlightBlackM00Nlight IowaMembers Posts: 3,617 ✭✭
    Weird because the Magnus consistently won out on smash factor and quite honestly, distance in most of the tests this season.
    Mizuno ST-190G Tensei White 70X
    Mizuno ST-190TS 15* Tensei White 70X
    Mizuno CLK 19* 3 Hybrid Speeder Evo HB 95X
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC 4-P C-Taper 130X (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Mizuno S18 50, 55, 60 C-Taper 130X soft stepped (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Mizuno TP Mills #5
    Titleist Pro V1 X

  • YepyukonYepyukon Hinge + Hold Members Posts: 4,127 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:

    MojoEd wrote:


    Hints of that when the judges reference poor shots that were never on screen. Rozewell was presented in the most favorable light this past episode, which strengthens bet that it will be the winning design. I don't fault either GC or Wilson for this aspect of there relationship. Always rooted for the GC, now rooting for Wilson, which is new for me.




    That scenario doesn't work unless Tim Clark and Wilson knew very early on what driver they'd choose




    Treat it like hiding the twist ending to a show. Make multiple edits, each showing X driver being a favorite. Then show that episode when you want a specific driver to look better than the competition.
    Srixon 785 10.5* w/ Oban Devotion
    Nike VR Pro Limited 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
    Srixon ZU85 18* w/ Diamana WB
    Srixon ZU85 22* w/ AxivCore Blue
    Srixon 785 5 - 8 w/ Project X Flighted
    Srixon Z Forged 9 - PW w/ Project X Flighted
    Cleveland RTX 4 50* 55* 60*
    Nike Method 003 Oven Prototype
    Srixon ZSTAR XV Tour Yellow
  • nic19nic19 Members Posts: 505 ✭✭


    Weird because the Magnus consistently won out on smash factor and quite honestly, distance in most of the tests this season.
    the Rozwell beat it hands down past couple of episodes
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,492 ✭✭
    Yepyukon wrote:

    Holy Moses wrote:

    MojoEd wrote:


    Hints of that when the judges reference poor shots that were never on screen. Rozewell was presented in the most favorable light this past episode, which strengthens bet that it will be the winning design. I don't fault either GC or Wilson for this aspect of there relationship. Always rooted for the GC, now rooting for Wilson, which is new for me.




    That scenario doesn't work unless Tim Clark and Wilson knew very early on what driver they'd choose




    Treat it like hiding the twist ending to a show. Make multiple edits, each showing X driver being a favorite. Then show that episode when you want a specific driver to look better than the competition.




    I can’t say that would never happen, but after the debacle with the Triton and the longer filming this time, I doubt they’d risk that
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • McgeenoMcgeeno Members Posts: 2,008 ✭✭
    I would experiment with the Rozwell. I like the look, sound and Z track idea.



    I think the Cortex will win and nobody will care.
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 7,142 ✭✭








    this does not mean that both drivers are coming out. just that both have been approved.
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour, GD TOUR AD-DI 8X 
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; DCarbon Ringo welded long neck.
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,492 ✭✭
    edited Nov 12, 2018 #421
    It’s actually a great idea to have both drivers win. What’s to lose by selling two models?



    Last year’s winning prize was $500k. This year’s is $250k. Unless they decided to just drop the prize money, looks like both designers could be winning $250k each.

    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
Sign In or Register to comment.